Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Aldercy

Blood Popsicle

The scent of frozen Type O negative.

I am thrilled I had the opportunity to score a bottle of this!

Blood Popsicle is one complex scent indeed. I don't think I could effectively describe it. Salty, sweet, metallic, slightly fruity, incensey, cool and warm, unisex! I think I can even get a little of the Popsicle stick in there. Strangely wearable though. I think I could get away with wearing this in the office. Maybe? :P

Verdict: I love it! and bonus...so does my husband. Total win and all around awesome scent experience! Instant top fave. :yum:

I get a lot of cinnamon from this one. Cinnamon and floral. Not a combination I dreamed of working, but it does. It layers really well too, mixed it with Apple IV and the fruit and clove brings even more unusual complexity to the scent. Blood Popsicle is definitely something I'm going to be on the lookout for so I can get some more.

I have no idea whats in this nor do I have anything else that smells like it. I really like it though! It morphs a lot. I occasionally get a whiff of something akin to actual blood..it's not overwhelming and seems to be short lived. But it's creamy and sweet. I swear I smell nutmeg at times. It's fairly strong and seems to last a long time changing as it goes.

Edited by Catcircus

This is one of the more unusual scents I've worn. Rich and smoky, with a very odd drydown--like a freshly sharpened pencil, including the lead---a faintly metallic woodsy smell, but not golden or shining like other BPAL metallics. I can't compare it to anything else I've worn. Intriguing. 4 out of 5 stars.

The reviews for this are so varied, I wonder if there are batch variations, or if it's just a confusing fragrance in general.
On me, this smells like sour orange, sweet strawberry, fizzy grapefruit, sharp salt and something metallic and off... dries down to smoky red musk with a bowl of dry, dusty cinnamon and orange peel potpourri, and just a hint of something more fizzy and effervescent. Also has an undertone of dry soapiness. It's like it can't decide if it wants to be fruity or floral, light or dark, sweet or sour, dry or bright... It's a messed up, orange sweet tarts + fruit punch and hints of cinnamon and musk on my skin.

Edited by Little Bird

I was intrigued by Blood Popsicle, and almost ordered it from the Lab just before it went out of stock, but I was so unsure about it, I delayed and then it was gone.

I debated with myself about it, but took the plunge and hunted one down. No clue whether I will like it!

Wet: WOW. I expected Dragon's Blood, somehow. Which I would not have been hugely pleased with. But this is blood musk on me, and it's fabulous. It's dark, a bit incensey, a bit resiny. Slightly fruity and sweet? Which keeps it from being an "angry" blood musk scent, if that makes sense? There's also a greenish herbal edge that I am really loving. This was NOT what I expected, in the best way possible. Oooh, now there's a very slight metallic edge, which makes total sense. Not overwhelming at all, just very faint. And now I'm getting hints of spice. Wow, this is SUCH a morpher!

Dry: This scent is so neat. Musky, incensey, warm and cold at the same time. It does have faint hints of metal, to me. But also some spice. I really like it, but man is it hard to describe! Very unique. Worth the wait, and the hunt to get it.

I was expecting a more realistic blood scent but was suprised to find it more sweet, possibly (red) fruits and/or florals, and cinnamon indeed. It's sharp on drydown, only a hint of something metallic. It's odd, far, far away my brain is telling me it has the sharpness or saltiness from Mouse circus? Not bad at all, very interesting and a lil odd. :P

Finally managed to snag a bottle in the restocking!

In bottle: Sweet and musky, and something like incense.

Wet: Softer than I expected! A little chalky, in an odd way, like candy. There's something almost like...bubblegum?

Dry: There's vetiver down there somewhere, under the candy/incense note. This is one weird blend! Thrilled I had a chance to try it, despite it possibly not being for me. What really surprises me is how little throw it has. I had to pin my nose to my arm to smell it.

Oh, wow. I had been eyeing this one on the second market every time it popped up, thinking it could go either way without listed notes. I’m glad I took a chance on it with the re-release because this is soooooo nice. On me, clove seems to be the star of the show tempered with some sort of light red musk and maybe resinous incense. Maybe some frankincense and a drop of vetiver in it too? Honestly, I can’t tell. It is a high pitch blend that remains totally grounded by just a hint of dark, deep notes, whatever they are. This is exceptionally good. I’m getting a backup before they’re all sold out, and you should too. :)

In The Bottle: This is an instant surprise. In the bottle, I'm getting a delectable mix of the Lab's blood note with a spicy undertone that is REALLY working here. It also smell, oddly, very "fresh", which, if representing the 'frozen' aspect of the scent, I can definitely get behind.

Wet On Skin: A slightly, almost-lemon aspect is emerging, which adds some breadth to the blood note in, again, a surprising and compelling manner.

Dry Down: Whoa. There's definitely been a shift, in a really nice way. That 'spice' aspect I detected in-bottle has come back during dry down. I get what some folks have mentioned about it being like an incense, but it doesn't read that way to me. It's more like a sweet-spice-blood combination. It defies description at the top-most level, which is great, and seems to be a bit of a theme in the OLLA series overall. Whatever it is wth Blood Popsicle, I am ALL IN. :wub:

Wow! I wasn't sure what to expect with this, but it turns out that it's a summery version of Sanguinem Menstruum! It's a bit of a morpher; sometimes it's more fruity, sometimes it's more floral, sometimes bloody! But overall, it's a lighter version of sang, so if you were scared away by how heavy that one is, you should give this a try.

Somehow this turned into a jasmine blend on me.
A super cool jasmine blend, though. The cold/frozen notes that the lab uses always read floral on me, and this was no exception.
It's almost too heady when first applied, but after 5 minutes it's just this glorious jasmine/fruit/copper twang.
So glad i picked up two bottles. This is the only "floral" i like.

This is such a bizarre scent on me, a morpher for sure. Wet and in the early dry down it is like soapy dryer sheets... definitely a painful stage. But dry it is a faintly sweet scent that is reminiscent of blood but in ankind of pleasant way. I am not sure how to describe it and I cannot pin down any notes. I do not get the frozen notes on my skin. Still deciding if it should stay or not.

I ordered my bottle(s) of Blood Popsicle back when the OLLAs first went live, during the Great Forum Crash of '14. I posted my review on a FB page that no longer exists, and forgot to post one here after the forums returned months later. So this overdue review is for my OG Blood Popsicle.

I love it! There is a hint of dragon's blood here, but it is not as strong as dragon's blood usually smells. It is a note that I love, but my favorite dragon's blood scents are generally very dark: Dragon's Heart and Blood in particular. This hint of blood might be touched with a kiss of red musk as well, another note I adore. Some have described a cinnamon note, but I don't detect that myself. What I get is a bit of frost- you know how a freezer has that frosty smell when you open it? It's not a specific scent like Beth's snow notes, but a slight tickle of cold in your sinus as you inhale. Blood Popsicle is just as described, and yet indescribable. I love it.

Mine has aged very well, with little to no change. It's great for hot summer nights!

New release: smells like spicy craft store pomegranate??? There's a touch of the 'dragon's blood' floral here, too. This is not what I expected. I like it and am glad I got the chance to try it.

I like this more and more the longer I have it on...very nice!

Edited by Herb Girl

2018 release. This is heavy on the dragon's blood resin to me. So much so, that I deathmatched it with Dragon's Blood on my other hand and it's not as bright as DB and it's spicier. As others have suggested, I can see red musk being in this. It smells very much like a fruity jasmine. I really like this and I'm going to graduate to a full bottle.

Sniffed my 2018 decant straight out of the mailbox and could only smell dragon's blood, so I opted to give it a couple days to rest and see if it got any more interesting.

In the imp: still primarily DBR, but there's something else... soapy floral?

Wet: Definitely some floral that isn't from the DBR. I put Dragon's Musk on my other wrist to compare. The musk in Blood Popsicle is rather light. I don't think it's blood musk because that goes REAL bad on my skin and this is behaving well. I'm getting that 'freezer' smell in the background, which is kinda fun!

Dry: There's a spiciness emerging! Oh, this is a fun morpher. I can see the floral being jasmine, but not an aggressive one. The frostiness has gone away and the DBR is getting fruitier. I guess the popsicle is melting. I can't smell it on my wrist but in the throw there's a definite bloodiness to it, not enough for others to identify it as blood, but rather just a light tang.

This is unexpectedly nice on me for something with this much of a floral element. Light throw, reasonable wear length for me. I don't know that I can justify the price of a full bottle but I'll hold onto the decant for sure.

Oh, this is very interesting.

In the vial, I get mostly dragon's blood, I think. On me, I believe I detect red musk, and perhaps a variety of lotus? Overall, it's a fairly sweet, light floral, though it doesn't seem to have a ton of waft or staying power on me. I like it, but I'll just keep the decant.

2018 release:

I got an imp of blood popsicle and am completely amazed. This smells completely like sweet red fruits for me. No dragons blood, which doesn't work most of the time.

As it dries, musk comes through. Maybe red, don't know.

Nothing salty, nothing metallic on me. I like it!

Edited by mandragora369

This review is for the 2014 version.

I have not tried Blood so I'm unsure if this smells like that with an icy twist. However on me this smells like patchouli, a hint of pine, and a musk of some kind (I guess red? Not that familiar with musks).

I'm not getting any fruity or floral notes, could be due to my decant's age or something. I think this is a nice blend, however I don't think the name really matches the smell. This is more of an incense heavy scent than one I'd associate with wintertime.

Better than I expected honestly, would buy a bottle if I didn't prefer Baron Samedi.

Edited by fairybites
Added year of my decant

Wet: Not frozen, not blood. It almost smells like a flower? Maybe a very generic floral deodorant? 

Dry: Still has a floral insinuation, but there is something else there. Something dark & a bit sharp. I want to say blood, but it’s closer to actual copper. Copper & some kind of night flower, maybe mottia attar? It’s not strong though, so I don’t hate it. It’s all subtle & quiet. Like the silence of driving at night when street lights flicker over head. It smells like that. Maybe that isn’t a smell to anyone else, but it is for me. Also, there is nothing cold about it. This is more like Blood Showers Bring Bleeding Heart Flowers. Warm, juicy, you’re-probably-bleeding-out blood. Nothing frozen at all. 

About 3 hours later I almost smell a medicinal fruit. Something really tart, like a lingonberry or pomegranate, but closer to lingon. The medicinal sharp crack is almost like when you walk through a hospital & you’re in the “family friendly” areas. Waiting rooms, the front entrance halls. The places they want to look nice & when they clean them, they sometimes have a scent or they spray the air? When I was in hospital, they always had this odd floral cleaner. I could never figure out what flower the cleaning company had smelled & then thought, “Let’s try for that.” Somewhere between a lilly & a very cheap candle that only thinks it’s a rose. Weirdly enough though, it still smells good. Like… it’s not gourmand, but I wanna lick it. I WON’T but I want to. Maybe this is that point it becomes a blood popsicle. Still no cold notes, but I do want to lick it. It stayed this way till it disappeared after about 8 hours (in the times I’ve worn it, it’s gone from 4 at the shortest to around 9 or so at the longest). 

Throw is ok, nothing far. Wear length is average, around ~7 hours. 

Final thoughts: I like it. It’s not my normal fare, but it’s very strange & interesting. I’ve had a couple bottles over the years & really, it can vary depending on hormones, but for the most part it stays within the same idea of the review. A few times my body chemistry was weird enough to swing it more blood notes or the complete opposite & it was a very weird meat flower. 

Edited by TheLampades
I cannot spell

...I'm kind of surprised at how many of the reviews, especially the early ones, aren't pegging this as mostly dragon's blood with a bit of the Lab's frost/frozen note, even though a lot of people are describing it the same way that DB always gets described: slightly floral, fruity, reminiscent of red musk, etc. It has that distinctive BPAL dragon's blood hint-of-sweetened-lilac on me, plus the slightly piney version of cold. The frozen aspect wears off pretty quickly, maybe twenty minutes in, and it starts smelling more like dragon's blood incense. There's probably some actual red musk in there as well, or the blend that comprises blood musk, as it does get muskier & thicker as it wears, then tapers off until it vanishes. Man, IDK what else to say about it; this one feels pretty 'does what it says on the tin'-ish to me. It's nice, it suits the theme, and I like it, but I've always found it difficult to wax poetic about dragon's blood.

Hopes & fears: I was hoping this captures that feral vampire hunger with a cold sanguine note. Scared that it would be too metallic or smell like "that antiseptic, metallic, gauze-pad scent" that Miss Despair described.

Sniffs: Strangely, this smells very "green." A bit like vetiver with a little pine or cedar wood, some conifer needles, and a bit of lemon balm. Very refreshing, but totally and utterly unexpected.

Wet: Still green. WTF? lol

Drydown: Extremely fast 180 morph and very strong. Spicy, like nutmeg and clove, with a musky incense hit and bit of metallic that I can almost taste. Also a medium-light amount of fruity sweetness, maybe orange? That woodsy scent is back and weaving in and out of the top notes. (I'm not great at picking out the varieties of wood notes.)

The smell as it's drying also has a very feral, intoxicating feeling to it. I think that's the spices and incense, combined with a touch of fruit. The metallic tang also smells really good on a hot day.

Dry: Very spicy, a little bit like tiger balm, but not in a noxious way. That metallic (now almost coppery) scent is still there, as is the woodsy scent. Just a hint of fruit. Definitely oranges.

Later on: Um, this went full tiger balm (icy, hot, spicy) on me. Complete with that waxy balm scent. But the utterly magical rollercoaster from wet to dry might make it worthwhile. Will continue to test to see if maybe it's temporary body chemistry or something.

Of note, this bottle just arrived a few hours ago, so it might need to settle a bit...

[Note to self: re-test and see if this changes over time or with hormonal cycle]

Edited by Zaedra

This was my first bottle purchase, and in retrospect that was quite bold of me since the description is a bit vague on the notes. (Side note: As someone who frequents morgues for work, let me tell you how much the smell of old blood is NOT something you want to be associated with - although anyone with a period probably has the same sentiments.) But since this is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I loved the concept, I took a chance and boy I'm glad I did.

Blood Popsicle is complex, addicting, and strong. There is a bit of fruitiness going on, though it is not overly strong or sweet and is well-balanced out by other notes. My co-workers know when I wear this one and have called it "incense-y" so perhaps there's a bit of patchouli or champa or something else smokey-but-not-smoke-itself going on there when it's dried down. Personally, I find the scent more irresistible when wet, right out of the bottle on my skin. I once accidentally spilled a larger than normal amount on myself (I was a few drinks in and thought I had a stopper I guess?) and it was very noticeable. Like I said, it's a strong scent, and I like it that way.

Since purchasing this, I immediately wanted the rest of the OLLA line. Just got June 23, 1868, so I'm getting there one at a time... (Blood Popsicle is better than 6/23/68 BTW just sayin)

Edited by skyturtles