Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Aldercy

Blood Popsicle

The scent of frozen Type O negative.

Amazingly complex for what could be considered a blood single note.

I was a little worried about it, but had to try (I mean, I devoted a lot of time to staring at Tom Hiddleston licking that red popsicle well before this scent came out. Instant purchase).

Turns out Blood Popsicle has some heady fruitiness-- not like any particular fruit, but it's certainly "red" and kind of syrupy-- with something like blood musk, and a touch of tart smoke. It comes across as both foody and feral. Sweet but strange. There's nothing about it that strikes me as cold or icy, but there might be a hint of salt water in the background. Not exactly like anything else I have, and not exactly like the blood notes I've come across in BPAL before. Attractive, but in a way you can't put your finger on. Surprisingly wearable. I think it will be really nice for late summer and early fall.

This one is difficult to describe. On my skin, it is dry and somewhat fruity, but not overly so. A distinct frozen aspect is present as well as a tinge of something metallic. It dries down to a light blood orange scent.

It reminds me of a popsicle that has had most of the juice sucked out of it. I like it, and I will keep my half-decant, but I don't feel like I need a bottle of this one.

This smells red. It's the colour red made into a scent. There is blood orange and a little bit of salt, with a ghost of a metallic note and maybe a suggestion of musk. It's fruity but not sweet, potent but not overwhelming, and is the only salty scent I've ever been able to wear.

Blood Popsicle stood up well to a hot day at an amusement park, complete with sunblock and one water ride. I thought I should give it a good durability test, and now I'm thinking of buying a backup.

This would be great at any time of year as far as I'm concerned, but maybe best of all in autumn.

ETA: It's funny to me that this works better on me when I'm, shall we say, hormonally changed. Before writing the review I had worn it three times, not all during hormonal turmoil. It was all metallic clove when I wore it again after posting the review, and I felt some stabby head pains threatening, so I washed it off on that occasion. On the times when I wore it during my monthly hell, it was sweeter. Not only is it the most enigmatic BPAL I own, but it's also one of the most changeable.

Updated on 3/9/2015: Blood Popsicle is mellowing and blending more smoothly with age. It still smells mostly of blood orange, red musk, and clove, and I think I'm getting just a hint of cinnamon. I've never gotten any sense of freezing or cold from it, and now it feels even warmer than it did brand new. The metallic and salty components are still there, but they're not as intense as they were initially. There's still nothing else like it in my collection. I have to be in the right mood to wear Blood Popsicle, but I think it's getting even better with age.

Edited by boomtownrat

In the imp: Sharp, with a sweet undertone. I also get a tiny bit of something spicy, that puts me in mind of cinnamon.

Wet, on the skin: My skin warms up the scent considerably. This doesn't strike me as something cold at all. The air around me is faintly redolent of warm spice, and is quite swoon-worthy. When I sniff my wrist, I get a pungent dose of something almost...metallic, maybe? I've heard other reviewers say that they get something fruity from this scent, but I do not.

After 15 minutes: All at once (not gradually, by any means), the scent on my wrist becomes...yes...almost like blood. Like something mixed in with blood, to create a new scent. It's the unsettling uncanny valley of real blood. The air around me still smells pleasantly sweet and spicy.

After 1 hour, 45 minutes: The pungency of the blood smell on my skin has toned down some in intensity, but the air around me now smells like creamy blood, rather than creamy spice. To me, this smells like the blood popsicle mix, before it's actually been put in the freezer. It honestly smells like someone (a vampire, of course) took human blood and mixed it with a little honey, a little cream, and some cinnamon.

It's quite amazing how much this scent actually smells like blood. Unfortunately, it smells too richly of real blood for me.

Blood Popsicle is probably the most fun of all the OLLAs.

It was a fruity, fizzy, sweet tarts and pomegranate blend. It was essentially sweet, fizzy pom. Definitely with some mint on wet, with the cool almost metallic edge to it. And then dries to a sweet, fruity pom.

I'm getting a sweet red popsicle (childhood nostalgia alert!) with a crazy strong, coppery tang! In Indian cooking, there's a spice, asafetida, with a similar tang that just hits you in the face. As that note eventually fades (never completely), it morphs into a less threatening frozen treat. There's amber, maybe a tiny bit of coconut, and clove, but mostly cherry and strawberry. Makes me think of Hollywood Babylon.

I'm getting very fruity notes, peach maybe? I was sure I was going to hate it, because I don't do fruits that much, not in that concentration, but this scent has a magnetism, it's hard to explain!

Peach and maybe amber, then in 10 min I get notes of blackcurrant, very tarty, then the peach again. It gets a bit fuzzier, less "round" if it makes sense, and evolves slowly to a gorgeous mix of fruits and leather.

It has moderate throw (which is good, imho, because it could get overpowering) but very good staying power on me.

I got a decant and just ordered the bottle. I didn't expect to love it that much, but now it's almost as if I couldn't live without it.

Wet: Crystalline, chilly, and red, but not exactly fruity. It somehow evokes the feeling of opening the freezer door without fully delving into the minty-cold direction.

Drydown: Chilly, tart fruit with a touch of something mentholated…eucalyptus possibly. There’s a red-hued musk in there too, but I don’t think it’s the usual red musk. Perhaps it’s blood musk? Sweetened with strawberry or cherry?? I’m 90% sure I smell orange blossom as well (and it’s well-behaved!!). It gives the blend a slightly candied but elusive quality. There's definitely some popsicle stick showing up too, birchwood, I think.

Dry: Juicy without being fruity, chilly while also deep. So nice and so strange. This is a blend that shouldn’t work, but somehow it does - - and gloriously at that! It smells something like a cross between Ravenous and Mania, with a dribble of Dracul thrown in for good measure. If this is what a blood popsicle tastes like, I may need to get a box!

8.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24
(updated to include more recent impressions)

I should have known than 'frozen' was an ill-boding description, but I'd seen a review on another site describing it as 'honey, amber and salt', and I thought that sounded amazing, so I gave it a try.

In the bottle, it smells exactly like Blood, but with a really irritating cold, tickly addition. That tickly cold notes never goes away once dry, it always smells very cold, and I don't like that at all. The scent, disassociated from it's pretty damn cool inspiration, to me was just very, very generic, like a bar of not particularly pleasant soap. I think I get the 'salt', but it's cold and tickly, not like the nice salt in Jolly Roger/Black Pearl, and as for honey or amber, nope, not happening for me. Definitely not a keeper!

In the vial: Blood Popsicle to me smells sort of bright and chilly, fruity in a blood orange kinda way, mixed with something slightly metallic. Very strange, indeed.

Wet on the skin: The orange moves to center stage on me, backed by a kind of musky, incensey scent that makes this seem very serious to me for some reason. All the chill has gone out of it once it hit my skin, now it smells very warm and sorta spicey. It definitely reads as more "perfumey" on me than I typically care for. It reminds me of something a no-nonsense older lady might wear, not really my thing. And boy is it strong! It seems to follow me around everywhere and stick to everything. :eek:

Dry on skin: Things are starting to settle down now. I feel like this gets a lot sweeter as it dries down, more fruity and less musky. I tend to amp sweet stuff, so I'm not really surprised there. Most things eventually turn to candy on me and this is no exception. However, that old Gladys stage there at the beginning is a bit of a deterrent. I don't mind the dry down, but not something I need more of. Too bad everything I own smells like Blood Popsicle now! :P

So far, I'm quite impressed with these OLLA blends. The ones I've tried, I've liked, and there even seems to be a common 'feel', or note to them all, I'm thinking maybe it's the sandalwood? BP is strong and musky at first, I'm getting the blood note, which I quite like, and something dark and fruity. Ends up being a sophisticated dark berry blend, kind of reminiscent of Red Lace, though not as sweet, and this is more musky which RL is more incense based. I likey, but it may be a bit too strong and sophisticated for me, but it's still a great blend.

At first sniff from the bottle it was "holy grandma Batman!" like my great-grandma who has been dead for a few years type of strong grandma scent. I was like yuck this is what I get for impulsively ordering a bottle (but, you see, I love all things vampire. just couldn't help myself).

On the skin, I will definitely agree that it does indeed smell red. It's unlike any perfume I've ever had or sniffed. I can't pinpoint the notes, but there is some type of red fruit in there giving it a grown up sweetness. Maybe some wine and clove too? Smells of indulgence and is not for the faint of heart. There is a definitely a note in there that insinuates blood. Something a tinge salty. I was unsure and even grossed out by it at first, but the more I smell it on my skin, the more I enjoy it. It is strong, but it does calm down after a bit to a more fruity scent on the skin. It would be good for the coming autumn. Warning: it will stick to your clothes, sheets, and furniture for ages. Not an every day scent (most suitable for night time wear), but I am impressed. Still not sure if I will keep it though.

Edited by frankenlizzy

This was really a scent experience. Wet, the smell is so evocative of gauze pads and metal and... hospital. Something fruity is also there, but not a fresh fruit, more like a berry punch someone spilled and has since dried up. There's clove there, too.

On drydown, it turns into a warm, red, spicy scent, with the sticky dried berry juice still present. The clove is now much more prominent, and the "hospital" dies down.

Unfortunately, after a while I lose the trace of fruit and my skin amps that antiseptic, metallic, gauze-pad scent. It was really interesting, but not quite right for my skin chemistry. Like the other OLLAS I've tried, this one lasts and lasts, even though that characteristic's not as welcome in this case.

this one is quite strange. the salty, copper-metallic tang of real blood and a touch of musk (red, I think?).

Edited by inhumation

I just really had to get this one because O Negative is my blood type :biggrin:

It does indeed smell red both in the bottle and on my skin but I only get the metallic part in the bottle and it disappears almost immediately once on my skin. There is a little bit of fruit there being balanced out by some musk and dare I say, sweat? That sounds really strange but I do get a almost sweet sweat smell to this and it's just melding in perfectly with my own chemistry in a way like it was made for me. It smells really romantic with a dash of macabre.................absolutely love this

To me, Blood Popsicle smells like a mix of fermented fruit, maybe berries. It's not sweet as much as it is strongly intoxicating, alcoholic. It does not smell conventionally of blood, but there's an idea of it, a faint hint of something metallic and cold and tart, maybe even sour when wet.

I was almost turned off by the initial bitterness when wet, but that fades as it dries. (The strength of the bitterness might be a personal problem, because a lot of the lab's perfumes are very bitter on my skin, though they smell great in the bottle and to other people (e.g. snake oil).) There is a lingering smokiness.

I can't think of when I would wear this. It would suit a dark lipstick mood, perhaps when traveling alone in a cold country. I wouldn't order another bottle, but I will keep the one I have because it's unique and definitely very evocative of its name. I do feel slathered in blood and I don't know how I feel about it. ^^ It's not a sweet, friendly smell.

It is solidly unisex. 6/10.

It is, not surprisingly, similar to Blood. The fruit scent is almost identical, but Blood is much stronger, sweeter, less alcoholic, and muskier (kind of an animal muskiness). Between the two, I prefer Blood Popsicle, which is more distant and refined, and because I really don't like the animal smell in Blood (from the clove, I think). (Smelling Blood is like finding a finger in a lovely bouquet. Initially it's very sweet and strong, but if I breathe deeply, the metallic, animal tang emerges and makes me recoil. I would almost never wear Blood.)

Edited by Kanashisa

Oh wow- this was interesting. I heard someone compare it to frozen meat and there's defiantly something like that (not entirely unpleasant) in the back. A cold kinda metallic scent over top of a musky, incenses blood. There was a ting of fruit, but not as much as other people were getting. I’ve heard this scent is slightly different on almost anyone, and I’m glad I tried it. But I don’t see it as something I’d regularly like to smell like.

Not a fan of blood notes, but swapped for this one out of pure curiosity!!

In Bottle: Hmmm.....as others mentioned, red, fruit, metallic etc etc. I get NONE of that. All I smell is some sort of flower-y scent. (???) Odd.

On Skin: Same kind of overpowering floral. I don't get any ozone, blood, fruit...nothing! :wacko2:

Drydown: Stays the same.....I am normally very sensitive to floral notes in general, but all I get is floral. If fades and becomes "wearable" but this is so not for me!

Out of all the OLLA scents, this one the one I HAD to have. Before I was able to see the movie, I watched the trailer about a zillion times and every time they got to the blood popsicle scene, I smiled. It's such a playful take on blood drinking. :)

In the bottle, Blood Popcicle is very unusual and I'm having a hard time trying to distinguish individual notes. It's fruity, woody, maybe a little spicy all at the same time.

When I first apply this to my skin I get a icy red fruit note along with something metallic. The coolness of BP reminds me of the fog that comes out of a freezer door in the summer time when you first pull it open. Chilly wisps of white.

As it dries the red fruit becomes a little bit more distinguishable, could it be pomegranate? Underneath, I'm getting some wood or musk notes as well. Is it supposed to represent the stick? I'm gonna say yes, it's the stick. :lol: My nose is also doing this confusing thing where it thinks it smells something metallic but then it'll register as a spice. It's so unusual!

The final dry down is almost incense-like on my skin, with the barest kiss of pomegranate. I wasn't expecting this to be a wearable scent for me, just more of a novelty but Blood Popcicle smells SO good on meand it lasts forever. I'm going to cherish my bottle.

Edited by Monster

Okay, so I love me some vampires. LOVE. Not sparkly vampires, no. I like predatory vampires; monstrous vampires; vampires that revel in blood. I can't help but think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Spike calling humans "Happy Meals with legs." That's what I want from my vampires: I want vampires that see human beings as dinner. I'm not sure if the vampires in Only Lovers Left Alive are of that mindset, as I haven't seen the movie, but I do know that I have no self-control when it comes to scents that are inspired by blood (or scents that evoke "redness" and/or blood to me, like Bordello and Hollywood Babylon). I guess I'm like a perfume vampire in that regard. My appetite for bloody smellies, it is large.

This scent is exactly what I wanted it to be. When wet, it has this odd, unsettling overtone to it: kind of salty and metallic and vetiver-y all at once. As it dries, that overtone becomes an undertone and the scent itself becomes more musky (red musk?) and faintly fruity with a touch of spice. Am I the only one reminded of Tintagel when smelling this? Something in this, when dry, smells like the best part of Tintagel to me: the "red," mulled wine part of Tintagel. Picture a muskier Tintagel, no pine-like greenery, with an undertone of salty metallic-ness. I can't complain about that.

Edited by riddel

Its taken me a while to review BP because we've had a love/hate relationship.

This was the first OLLA I tested right out of the shipping box.

In the bottle I could smell salt, berries, a bit of floral, and dragon's blood. I thought, "Oh, this is going to be interesting".

But, it wasn't. On my skin it turned into slushy, salt water. :think:

I've learned to wait and retest after aging a scent. For a while I was getting pretty mixed results and it smelled different every time I tried it. Sometimes I loved it; other times I hated it.

I would say that for about a month now I've been getting consistent results so I think its aged sufficiently to render a verdict.

I get fruit, maybe berries or pomegranate, with a salty, metallic edge. Dragon's blood, ozone, and florals alternately pop out from time to time to say hello. I would call this a red scent, but diluted red, if that makes sense. Its a cold scent with shots of warmth. Such an odd little scent but one that I'm really enjoying now. :laugh:

This is very interesting. When first applied, i can understand the grandma comparison, and my husband said it smelled of baby powder.i can best describe this when dry as metallic red. It has a sharp, bubbly, note when sniffed, like if you out your face into a glass of carbonated soda water. I Can't quite describe this red smell, not quite berries or citrus, it's very different. This is one of the most unique scents I've tried, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I can definitely see this being more of a evening/night scent.

Oh. My. Goodness. Sweet, spicy, delicious blood. This is way better than I thought it'd be. This is better even than Blood GC. There's a berry aspect to this, yes, but also it's heady and almost has a floral feel to it as well. And you can almost smell the popsicle stick.

...with something like blood musk, and a touch of tart smoke...

This is pretty much it. Blood Popsicle is fruity without being fresh, juicy, and sweet. It smells slightly sour, slightly sweet, and with a smokey lusty haze. All of the OLLA come across to me as more than they seem, more rich and complex than the notes give away. Blood Popsicle is the same, it's complex and dark, I can't stop smelling myself when I wear it!

This is weird but good!

It really does remind me of the smell of cinnamon, which could explain my bad reaction to it ;)

I stilll use it once in a while, but only on my wrists and just not to much :)
First it got out I didn't wanna get it, but then I selled it on a bpal-friend and then I knew I for sure really liked it!

It also gives the idea of a true and creepy blood popsickle ...