Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Chibi Skull With Last Will and Testament

Bourbon vanilla, mallow flower, red patchouli, and cream mousse.

This is like a sweeter more mellow version of B. Beat/Revenant Rythym. Bourbon vanilla has not worked well for me in the past but this is like...heavenly. I can’t wait to see how it ages if the bottle makes it that long. Maybe I need to order another bottle.

Wowie!

Wet and in the bottle there's this juicy jammy element, but that disappears really fast. Once dry this is a very glorious, elegant vanilla patchouli with a light floral whisper going on in the background. It's quite sweet, and has the round, almost medicinal herbiness that to me is characteristic of a not-too-dirty patchouli. I love this a lot. A lot a lot.

(I've never tried Ba.nshee Be.at or Rev. Rhy.thm before, but if this is what they're like...:thud:)

When this first came out of the mail, I opened it excitedly and was greeted by a smell of a heavy dairyed cream. There was the patchouli lingering on in the background, but it was so unexpectedly creamy! I wasn't sure what to think.

I gave it a week to settle and then skin tested. The cream certainly mellowed out from the mailing of it even in this short period of time, and is not nearly as prominent on my skin as it was when I opened the bottle. Don't get me wrong: there is certainly a creamy feel to the vanilla in this fragrance, but it doesn't overwhelm the rest of this blend.

It's absolutely gorgeous to wear and like others have said it is reminiscent of Banshee Beat to me, which is a top 3 BPAL of mine. The patchouli is a bit mellower than the patchouli in BB, and the vanilla is a bit sweeter and creamier, but fans of patchouli-vanilla blends like BB/RR would not be disappointed with this.

It is definitely a scent I know I will end up reaching for a lot! Am also considering a backup. The lab just really did amazing with this year's Weenies, I can't help myself to go back for more.

Edited by Kanra

In the bottle I get a soft creamy vanilla and a really smooth patch, with a touch of syrupy sweetness. The combo of the creamy vanilla and patch comes across as almost suede-y. On my skin it has a similarly warm, plush vibe. This one doesn't morph much on me, but the patch does deepen a bit and get a little earthier as it wears. 

In bottle this smells almost juicy to me. When I first applied, I wasn’t sure if this was going to work for me. It was musky and acrid, and I wasn’t sure where it was coming from. Dry down didn’t do much for it either—maybe a little more patchy vanilla came out, but it was still oddly musky. I let it rest a few days and came back. Interestingly, this has become a wooly, crinkly feeling blend. I don’t get any of the Banshee Beat or Revenant Rhythm those above mention, but the patchy vanilla is beautiful and understated. It isn’t the thick, chewy patch and vanilla of BB/RR on me. This is a crisp and round blending of the two. I almost smell popcorn and milkshakes if I stop thinking about it as its component parts. I’m excited to see how this continues to shape up over the next few days as it calms down from mail shock, and I can’t wait to see how it ages.

Have to agree with the previous review.

The initial burst on me is mostly movie theater butter oil -- that is, what I got from White Larry -- and a pretty but faint patch.

In early drydown, a heroic vanilla cream mousse shows up and tries to save the day. It billows out against the butter oil and tries to push it back, but, alas, the butter oil wins simply by continuing to ooze forth and soak everything. The butter oil's goosh is not to be denied, no, not even by a rich and luxurious cream. The mousse collapses back into a faint background vanilla and lets the butter gooze have the day.

I really adore this! I could smell it before I even took off the bubble wrap. The patchouli is the leading note, the mallow flower blooming around it lightly with the vanilla and cream taking away some of earthy harshness and adding delicious sweetness. I would not consider this a gluttonous gourmand at all although the milky vanilla is present. If you love patchouli, I'd recommend this! I could wear this daily. Not getting a popcorn butter note and patch is definitely front and center for me.

LOVE THIS, yet also a little 💔.  Chibi opens up with a beautiful clearly distinct bourbon vanilla. I DO actually get bourbon and it stays for abt 30 min. Lovely, not fake, and with no odd butter goosh or popcorn butter oil. The mallow flower and cream mouse turn this into a rich, heady mallow pillow but unfortunately it utterly swamps the patch into absolute oblivion. Which makes me cry big sad tears because I love the Lab's patchouli note and I was desperately hoping for even a glance, a glimmer of smelling something close to Banshee Beat/Revenant Rhythm (now that one is my Storyville, lol!)

The patch dies a sad death on me and now I am seriously looking at that Patchouli and Canadian Balsam duet, it might be just what I need to salvage this scent.  I do genuinely enjoy this, it is beautiful, but I wanted the patch to really have a voice and Chibi desperately needs the patch to pull it down out of creamy vanilla mallow mouse paradise. Without the patch, this is sweet on sweet on sweet and I already have Silky Bat for my sugared patchouli needs. Grrrrrrr

This starts off as boozy bourbon vanilla and red patchouli on me, and then a bit of creaminess joins in. It's really nice during this stage. While it is a sweet vanilla patch scent, I find it is more reminiscent of Départ Pour Le Sabbat (Aufbruch Zum Hexensabbat) (Bourbon vanilla, sweet red patchouli, oudh, goat's milk accord, and white honey) than Revenant Rhythm. This features a different, boozier vanilla and a red patchouli (I think Revenant Rhythm features a black one). Unfortunately, by the end of the day, it is a very strong, slightly smoky patchouli party on me with not enough sweetness. :( I really wish the sweet notes had remained as strong as they were in the beginning! I'm tempted to see how this ages, but I don't think I'd reach for it, given how swoon-worthy Revenant Rhythm is to me.

I was today years old when I learned: “The term "Bourbon vanilla" refers to the vanilla beans' provenance as being from the Bourbon Islands, most commonly Madagascar but also Mauritius and Réunion. The name comes from the period when the island of Réunion was ruled by the Bourbon kings of France and has no relation to Bourbon whiskey.”

I was a bit stumped because I don’t have a lot of vanilla forward scents, and this was so sweet and not a trace of bourbon to my nose and now I realize after a smidge of googling that the scents I’ve avoided because of this type of vanilla were not ones to shy away from at all.
Anyway …

I very much like this. It does start out almost sickeningly sweet, but give it half an hour and you’ll be in sweet patchouli land. 

I totally agree with @Amazonia ‘s review above.