Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A leathered up, musky interpretation of BPAL’s Antique Lace: dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes with well-worn leather and caramel musk.

The caramel aspect of this blend is what I notice most, a buttery-milky brown sugar caramel that wants to ooze over vanilla ice cream rather than firm up into fudgy squares. Shifting beneath the caramel are those faint, faded attic-trunk florals and creamy cobwebby linens I recall from Antique Lace and a cracked leather buckle so ghostly and elusive I’m not sure if it was actually ever there at all.

I would say that initially the caramel musk and leather do make it seem less like the precious, but that it also smells very good. The caramel musk and leather are very reserved and not at all overpowering.

Quickly as it dries down I discern the resemblance coming out. I feel like the drydown is considerably Antique Lace like... it is definitely not identical but I am surprised at the similarity.

Okay, I've matched OG and Batty. OG is very... brittle? Fragile? It's much more 'faded perfumes' dominant. The caramel musk and leather (extremely well balanced) provide a sort of here and now feel that Antique... well, hence the name obviously. Antique Lace has the high note of Pediophobia, Batty is definitely a gourmand style tribute with some sugar and a firm base that AL lacks.

ETA have had it for a week and am thoroughly pleased. This is a scent that stands on its own, opening a warm and beckoning door into BPAL current and past, at the same time it pleases those of us who miss days gone by. 

Edited by ND¢

An excellent entry into the Lace family. Upon application this reminded me a lot of Harlow’s Lace, I believe due to a burnt caramel note that I’m detecting. After some time that fades an little and I am left with a lovely Lace variant. I can definitely smell the Antique Lace but throughout where there is still always a slightly sugared caramel undertone; it’s really nice. I did not notice any leather in this one.

I have never smelled any Lace before, Antique included. So ignore my review entirely if you'd like! I have no points of reference to help old BPAL heads.

At first, this is a lovely sweet, caramelized vanilla with a touch of fuzzy musk. As it wears, I find the leather. For me, it's evoking elegantly huffing an expensive and oh-so-buttery-soft brown leather driving glove with a lace-edged linen handkerchief tucked inside that's been dabbed with caramelized vanilla perfume and the skin musk of a beloved. The leather is faint, and very well-worn.

Lasted for several hours and still sniffable on my skin the next morning.

Edited by elissamay

I am simply delighted with this latest Lace acquisition. Normally, I amp leather notes, so I was wary, but willing to try for my beloved Antique Lace's sake, and I'm really glad I did. In the bottle and through to dry-down after application, the dominant note is a rich caramel. I get *zero* leather at any point, but that caramel is warm and creamy, like the best caramels are. Even at the height of caramel's power, though, is the Antique Lace shining through. A.L. increases as caramel begins to slowly, slowly pull back some. Hours later evidence of the caramel note is still present, but quite faint, while Antique Lace's power remains in that gorgeous, lingering way it has.

Most surprising of all to me, is that the formulation of Antique Lace present in this Batty edition is MILES closer to the OG I've missed for so very long. I am a fan of the 2017 re-release, don't get me wrong. When I travel I have 2017 with me, to help me sleep at night. But it always rested on my skin in a way that I can only describe as..."sugary". There's a granulated sugar element to that version that OG never had on my skin. And this Batty-ed up version doesn't have that granulated sugar in it either- especially remarkable, considering that *caramel* is a primary note in the composition! 

In all, as I stated at the outset, I am simply delighted with the latest Lace, and I'm going to re-test in a month or so- if it goes as I think it will, there shall be back up bottles in my future! :wub2:

For me, this is nearly a dupe of the re-release of Antique Lace, which is certainly not a bad thing. I have never smelled the original, but I agree with VioletChaos that this is slightly less sweet that the 2017 v. 

I don't get leather, but I do get something a tiny bit more sophisticated, and a tiny bit less marshmallowy vanilla. 

But basically, if you need more AL in your life, you'll go batty for this. 

Slightly salty caramel smothering OG antique lace. Very faint and soft but nice longevity. Will be buying several backup bottles to age and hoard....

I am mostly getting the re-released Antique Lace (that doesn't have the floral qualities of the original, and that my basic ass self likes more than the original -- heresy, I know) with some caramel-infused musk hovering around the edges. I don't love caramel in perfumes, but bought this because it's a bat-themed Lace, and fortunately, the caramel musk in this isn't overwhelming whatsoever. It has good throw, too. However, I didn't detect any leather.... I wonder if it will peek out with age?

I like this, but at this point, I have so many perfumes featuring this vanilla that I feel like I may have to let at least one of them go in order to let this one stay in my collection.

I'll have to spend more time with this one to know for sure, but I'm thinking that it's probably a keeper, and that wouldn't even be a question if I didn't have so many scents featuring this vanilla.

Edited by doomsday_disco

this is lovely!  it's the antique lace (2017) you know and love, made more... substantial by the batty additions. the wistful nostalgia of AL is there, but with a sweetly musky, in some ways more robust foundation that feels grounded in pragmatism.  the leather is just a suggestion, as aged and brittle as the yellowed lace it sits alongside. 

honestly, while i appreciate antique lace, and occasionally find myself in the mood for it, this is more my jam.  i'm very pleased with it! 

I'm not getting leather at all.  I don't love caramel in perfume and luckily that is not very noticeable either, if there at all on me.    

I wish it would last longer on my skin but maybe I'll scent locket it!

Floofy vanilla 2017 Antique Lace with a halo of caramel. I get a teeny bit of soft leather as it wears. Lovely!

Edited by roseus

On me I can pick out the  linen and dusty notes from Antique Lace with cool vanilla and hints of caramel and leather. I mostly get Antique Lace here but the caramel adds a sweetness and warmth which blends in really well. The leather adds some depth and complexity. The caramel and leather make nice additions that compliment the original 

New to antique lace, but I must say, I see the appeal. The leather blends right into everything, very light. And I really enjoy the warmth of the caramel musk! It tiptoes right up to the point of being almost too sweet, but then it settles in and wears so beautifully - quite long lasting for me, with just the right amount of throw. Pretty, nostalgic, sepia-toned. 

Batty Lace has that classic BPAL lace note, delicate fabric with creamy vanilla tones and the faintest of florals; the leather and musk are soft but present, giving this a slightly sexier edge but remaining cozy. On my skin, it remains the same from application through dry down and has decent lasting power, especially for a lighter scent.

This is exactly what I was hoping for when I saw the name “Batty Lace” and I am so happy that I added this scent to my tiny collection of lace-based perfumes.

It's not floral, which I was kind of expecting. But I'm actually glad it's not! It does smell like caramel, but a smooth caramel leather. It's a light airy tan scent. The vanilla wafts around me when I wear it, and it's only up close that I even smell the sugary chewy caramel. I'm going to test this again, but it's lovely. If you are worried at all about the leather, don't be. It's the cutest, softest snuggly lil fuzzy bat baby. 

All I'm getting from this is a vanilla note that reminds me very much of They Shut Me Up in Prose.  It's a very pretty gourmand vanilla.

On me, this is all about the caramel musk and the vanilla. The caramel musk is really rich and yummy but I don't think it's too overpowering here. The vanilla balances out the musk nicely. I get dusty wisps of the linen, too, but it is more of a background note. I don't really get any of the flowers, the perfume note, or the leather. I hope the leather makes an appearance eventually.

I've never tried Antique Lace before, but I can pick out the same vanilla from other perfumes I have.

When I first got this bottle in the mail, it was a really cloying, sugary, vanilla buttercream type of thing.  I decided to wear it again today to finally write a review and was surprised that it's much softer, less sweet, and more complex now.  It still has a sweet vanilla cream, but I wouldn't call it sugary or cloying or reminiscent of frosting anymore, and it has the noticeable 'aged' notes of Antique Lace.  It makes me think of pulling an old wedding veil and love letters out of a trunk and smelling the ethereal, gauzy, soft, vanillic tones that are in aged paper and old (well-kept) fabrics.  It smells romantic.  I don't pick up on any of the leather, but the caramel musk is there, and surprisingly not as sweet as it sounds.  It just adds a hint of warm, caramelized goodness to the edge of the vanilla and the musk isn't anything sharp, dark, or overwhelming.  I think the musk adds to that lacy, gauzy, white veil impression for me.

Romantic vanilla and sweet memories.  I actually like this more than my bottles of re-release Antique Lace.

I agree with Little Bird, but my decant still hasn't developed the aged notes of Antique Lace and I still get a strong, sweet buttercream that collapses into doll's head vanilla and a really excellent caramel musk.  No leather, no flowers. Just vanilla and caramel.

I enjoy it, it's tooth-achingly sweet and yes, a little romantic - but without the flowers and the aged feel, this feels like something teenage me would like and then grow out of, so no bottle for me.

A long time ago, I fell in love with a proto I bought at BPAL’s brick and mortar, XCDL13. I decided to try finding a sister scent to it, and went back to the reviews on that. Lo and behold, there were some comparisons of it to the OG Antique Lace. Cut to me buying a bottle of Batty Lace, and I figured if anything, I may just get a nice warm carmelly scent. 

While the leather and caramel do warm it up considerably, this is very much a sibling to XCDL13. It has that same scent that I identify as a heady vanilla, but where Batty is unmistakably a relaxed, cozy, brown scent, XCDL13 is much more awake - sweeter, louder. Taking Batty as its own scent, I amp a dry leather note that isn’t as sharp as bpal’s black leather, but it keeps the sugar in Batty from being too much. That doesn’t stop Batty from having a soft throw of golden, burnt sugar. 

Having never owned the OG AL, but two scents reminiscent of it, I can see what other reviewers identify in each to be the beloved AL. Highly recommend this one for anyone who like cozy and/or complex gourmands. 

Wet: hello tobacco. Vanilla linen, with a healthy dollop of tobacco with caramel drizzle.

It's not as sweet as I was expecting and I don't mind it.... however. I tend to amp tobacco into headache territory, so we'll see how it develops.

It's a very warm tobacco vanilla now with a hint of sassafras or anise. The leather is warm and blended in and doesn't really stand out.

It's been dry for a while now, and I have a dusty vanilla tobacco with sassafras caramel and a hint of flowers. The leather still doesn't stand out to me.

My major complaint about antique lace resurrected is how the vanilla turns into thin, unpleasant powder. While there is a powdery quality to the vanilla in a Batty Lace, it's tempered by the tobacco and caramel. 

I think this would pair really well with other sassafras perfumes.

I prefer this to Antique Lace Resurrected, but I'm not sure if I'd actually wear it.

Echoing what Little Bird said - at first, I was honestly a little disappointed in this when I first got it, especially because I got two bottles blind. It was really cloyingly sweet, almost caramel-single-note. It's such a good reminder to never judge a scent by its just-shipped-cover.

Now that it's settled down for a month or so, it's got a LOT more depth and chewiness. I get a well-balanced blend of leather and tobacco smoke, sweetened just enough by vanilla-caramel-musk. I don't get much floral, and it's not going to scratch my OG Antique Lace itch, but that's okay (I just wore some of my preciously hoarded OG AL yesterday - I'll just continue to treasure each drop of that). I'll definitely add this to my rotation for autumn scents. I think I might like it even better than Clockwork Couture: Female. This is a lovely, sweet, well-blended leather scent and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it continues to improve with age.

On 11/30/2023 at 7:37 PM, LavenderCoffee said:

New to antique lace, but I must say, I see the appeal. The leather blends right into everything, very light. And I really enjoy the warmth of the caramel musk! It tiptoes right up to the point of being almost too sweet, but then it settles in and wears so beautifully - quite long lasting for me, with just the right amount of throw. Pretty, nostalgic, sepia-toned. 

LavenderCoffee's review is spot-on for my experience with this scent - like EXACTLY!

Very lovely scent overall