Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

"In essential things, unity." A perfume to strengthen our bonds to one another for support in trying times: sweet patchouli, oakmoss, red oud, guiac wood, mahogany, and honeyed vetiver.

This smells so warm & embracing. It is something akin to the airy & lightness of Bow & Crown of Conquest. I thank BPAL for including these LE imps in my order. Wore this to an Xmas party last night. I recieved hugs, & was met with so much fraternity it was unreal. Plan to wear this til the Imp is Imp-ty  hehehe

Out of the imp, I'm struck by how quickly the throw on this could overwhelm - if your skin is anything like mine, a little goes a long way. It's well-balanced, but I'm not sure I love it on me. I'll give it a public test to see how others react to it before I add it to the swap box. 

A pleasant woodsy scent. Although it's sweetened by the honey, my chemistry makes it a bit masculine or cologne-y. As others have said, a little of this goes a long way. I liked it, but swapped it with my sister, as it's her favorite of the three Black Friday frimps. 

Patchouli sometimes works on me, but sometimes comes across as too bitter. Initially I thought this was going to be a yucky patchouli note, but it's now very woodsy and warm, and definitely on the masculine side, but not too heavy. I'm not getting much throw.

The oud and vetiver immediately stand out to me. It does warm up with the honey, but it still stands out as cologney to me, too.

First on, this was a warm, lightly honeyed red oud and sweet patchouli, with a background of other woods. 

After an hour, Unitas was mainly a sweet patchouli with hints of honey on my skin. I liked this sweet patch and will enjoy this decant.

In the imp: Sweet patchouli and red oud. 

On my skin:

Tinkly sweet patchouli; the tinkly aspect is a quality I associate with white musk, though I don't detect that actual note in this blend. The immediate drydown also yields fuzzy oakmoss. 

In the early stages, the oakmoss is pretty much having its way on me, giving it a bit of cologney quality and amping up the throw.  During that time, the woods and patch come together closer to my skin, sweetened a touch by the honeyed vetiver. 

Overall, this is a very balanced, grounded, unified scent. Saying it's what would happen if someone -- most successfully -- tried to make patchouli cologne is both as accurate as I can describe it and far from being able to do this scent justice. The patch and woods are grounded but not harsh or bitter, the oakmoss is airy, the sweetness just dancing at the edges of the scent. 

Edit: I ended up wearing this as I was practicing yoga this afternoon. During savasana, the phrase "crystalline patchouli" struck me as appropriately descriptive for this scent. 

Edited by torischroeder9

In the imp: A big ol' swirl of resins and woods. I think I'm picking up on the patchouli and honey, but otherwise, individual notes are hard to distinguish - it's just one big, golden mélange. And yet, it's cooler and lighter than you would expect - I don't think this would feel heavy or overwhelming on a summer day.

Wet: Aha, there we go! The patchouli is still playing *very* nicely with the honey, but the oud is now more distinct, as are warm, polished-to-a-shine woods. I'm not getting any vetiver or oakmoss yet - unless it's the oakmoss giving it that lightness? This is a rich, expansive, generous scent - what I imagine the Ghost of Christmas Present would smell like.

Dry: Huh, that was quick! Within four or five hours, it's dried down to a very soft honeyed patch, with maybe the barest hints of oud and woods. But really, I have to huff to get a scent at all - this is a surprisingly quick fade for a woody/resinous blend, which tend to stick around on me for a while. It is a lovely scent, though - warmer and cuddlier than the wet stage, although not as sophisticated or complex.

Absolutely gorgeous woody resins. This smells incredibly expensive. Woody, warm, and airy with a sweet-ish, clean-ish aspect that must be the honey and oakmoss. Welcoming, refined, and relaxing.  

In the imp and wet on skin, this had a more "men's cologne" feel, but now that it's been on a while, the honey/vetiver combo is predominant on me and I am SO HERE FOR IT. Warm, warm, sweet and woodsy. Please let this graduate into the GC (or an LE) one day because I will need a full bottle of this!!

I'm not a fan of red oud and mahogany, so take my review with a grain of salt.  This smells masculine to me, with the oak moss and red oud prominent.  If you're worried about vetiver - I don't get much.  Definitely no barbeque style anyway.  This does smell high end, but it's not for me.  

Holy base notes. The vetiver isn't barbecue sauce flavored but this dries down to heavy vetiver and patchouli. Not bad, but kind of all bass all the time.

Definitely echoing the men's cologne sentiment. It smelled very strongly of soap for the first hour and then was more of a vetiver/patch scent.

In the imp and once on, I'm definitely getting the intense woods and resins others are noting, along with the men's cologne vibe. After a bit of wear, the patch, oakmoss, and vetiver start to come out more and tone down the woods. There's a hint of honey that blends surprisingly well and helps balance everything out, but the oakmoss, mahogany, and vetiver stay dominant. I don't find this as men's cologne-y once it dries down, though it does lean a bit on the traditionally masculine side. 

Intense honeyed wood and an oaky sharpness right out of the imp that reads a pitchy wood cologne or an expensive spray patchouli perfume. It is quite strong out of the gate, but mellows out nicely after about an hour. I adore oakmoss and it's a standout player here, with the patchouli and mahogany giving it an earthy roughness that is cradled by the smooth honey (this is my favorite expression of the lab's honey note; it's not chewy or thick but clear and refined). It's putting me in mind of a earthier, woodsier version of The Pillars. Mahogany is a fickle note on me; it often goes sharp and sour, but it works beautifully here. This is how I wish it smelled on me all the time. I would absolutely spring for a full bottle of this if it is released. It's glorious.

Edited by supreme_c0rt

This is mostly a mossy, earthy, woody scent on me. The oakmoss, patch, and woods are the main players, but the mahogany is somewhat sharp on me. The honey only adds a tinge of sweetness to the scent on me. The vetiver here is not a BBQ variety and just contributes to the earthy aspect of the scent.

This one isn't really my thing, but I'm glad I got to try it.

This screams "MAN" on me.  Super brawny manly-man.  Like....damn girl, you smell like a big beefy man who has been stewing in his natural juices all day!  

In short, too masculine for me.  

MAN.

Aquatic honeyed wood. This smells like patch, oakmoss, and a whiff of honeyed wooden oudh. Surprisingly wearable. It's a good aquatic wood blend. Good throw and wear length.

This opens with an initial blast of acrid patchouli incense (I think the vetiver is reading as incense smoke here) but as it warms the woods and oakmoss come out to play. The overall vibe is of warmth, a darker russet feel than the actual color of the oil. I can see this as reading masculine, but it's not really a generic men's cologne to me. Then, about 15 minutes in, it starts to go... sour? I think it might be the oud or mahogany, I don't think I've tried many BPALs with mahogany (certainly can't think of any off the top of my head) so maybe theirs doesn't vibe with me. I'm conflicted because it started out so nice and maybe it would return to being nice if I leave it on, but it's uncomfortably sweat-adjacent so it's getting scrubbed off this time. Maybe I'll revisit it again at a later date, but if someone comes along looking for an imp of it I will be happy to offer it to them.

Oh wow! Out of the set of three, I was keenest to try this one and I was right to because it's really good. It's sweet, but exactly the kind I like. Patchouli with that rich honey-like sweetness and resins. It's deep but also mellow. I accidentally put more on that I should have, because it's one of those weird ones for me that seems like it's going to be weaker than it is at the start. It didn't matter that I overdid it, because it was incensey sweet patchouli all day and continued to be lovely. Will definitely be keeping and using.

In Necessarias Unitas was the one I was most interested in out of the three. (My label is spelled “Necessariis”)
Definitely get a traditional manly cologne with a touch of honey, right away. Then, the vetiver gains strength and becomes the dominate note for me, and patchouli right behind. I love vetiver, so I usually would be swooning. I think the aquatic edge from the oakmoss keeps me from totally loving it right now. It feels... dapper. 
I think in the Summer, it might hit the spot more than now, when I’m craving really warm woods.  It doesn’t live up to my expectations. Yet, I do enjoy it enough to keep it, and definitely to slather on my man and see how he likes it! 

Edited by artisjok

Imp: Antiseptic/household cleaner and wood. *suspicious*

Wet:  MAN.  I AM A MANLY PIRATE MAN.  SALTY DARK WOODS IN YO FACE!!!

Dry:  Hey, warm wood, here.  Didn't mean to overwhelm you.  Still here for you with my depth and spicy character. 

I'd cuddle with me right now.  I almost washed it off because it was incredibly manly on me.  

Edited by DigitalCoyote

Wet: This screams MASCULINE to me. Mahogany and patchouli are standing out the most, and maybe a touch of vetiver, but it's not very strong at the moment. (Also, I have no idea what guiac wood is or smells like?)

Dry: Less patchouli, more mahogany and vetiver, plus oakmoss. Sweeter than the wet stage as well; still what I would call "masculine," but not... hyper masculine.

Not bad, but not for me.