Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

The Star

A very light, airy, sparkling scent. Coconutty without being tropical. The coconut just adds to the feeling of pure, white light! I'd forgotten how special this oil really is, as I'd categorized it as just "coconut" in my mind. But after slathering myself in it yesterday, I was reminded of how cool and bright it is! That cool, white coconut spiked with lime and what smells like pennyroyal or mint. It's absolutely beautiful, and so perfectly captures the energy of The Star.

Tarot Oil: The Star- Smells like Junior Mints with a vanilla cream center. I'm getting none of the coconut I've read about, though I wish I did. This starts off like a medicinal mint---like a teeny tiny touch of Listerine. Then it goes to sweet peppermint, a cocoa mint and lastly a soft, sweet vanilla mint. This is a very pretty mint. Doesn't last long on me. The name makes me envision a bright star-like mint on a dark cocoa sky that fades with the morning light.

P.S. I tried mixing this with Velvet and absolutely love the earthy chocolate mint results! To me, these are even better together.

P.P.S. Now that I have Spooky, I think it and The Star smell very similar.

Edited by HappyLoveJoy

wow this one runs from me like trying to hold on to water

wet it was all almond, and i mean all

as it dried it went almost pure lime, i at first thought lemon but no it is lime, there is an undercurrent of coconut, and a hint of something possibly chocolate, and mint just around the edges, and only occassionally, man this one is tricky...and i possibly could have spooky on the brain but it is slighly spookyesque...but i like this better then spoooky

*SOB*

Dark, heavy lime rind =( only the barest sniff of coconut on the late drydown...the notes just don't blend on me at all! I love BBW's coconut lime verbena, so I thought I'd adore this, and I bought a bottle unsniffed...up for swap it goes...*weeps pitiously*

Mmmmm I *heart* the Star!!

It totally is very Spookyesque ...I get a nice n' strong combo of coconut and mint - but without the weird plastic smell that my skin does with Spooky so YAY!

*adds to bottle wishlist*

In the bottle and when wet, The Star reeked of almonds (eep!). This would be loverlies to other people, but I belong to the small anti-almond faction of the forum.

So imagine my surprise when I applied the oil and, as it began to dry, the almonds went away. Yay!

Yes, The Star is definitely "Spooky-esque." The coconut-mint is very prominent, with a twist of lime. Brent, my boyfriend, said my skin smelled like "very nice suntan lotion."

Well, if The Star has similar components to Spooky, it may be cause for worry for me, as Spooky elicited the first-ever allergic reaction from me. I don't know what component of the oil caused it, but I have had to let go of the two bottles of Spooky I had (sadly, as it smelled great). I'm hoping that The Star doesn't do the same, but I'll have to apply and see. So far, no nasty red bumps have cropped up on my mid-forearm, which is a good thing. I've applied The Star on my neck as well, and so far the only thing I am getting out of that is the wonderful smell of the oil.

Barring any allergic freak-out, I would definitely invest in a larger bottle of The Star. I love the fragrance, and it would be lovely to wear in the upcoming summer heat of Florida, as well as suitable for the chill bite of winter. To me, it's a good all-season fragrance that works well during the day and in the evening.

-doreen

Edited to add: The drydown evokes more of the lime notes on my skin, but the fragrance is still very soft and very sweet. No inferno effect on my neck, either. A bigger bottle shall be mine!

Edited again to add: Wore the scent again, and the mint made me nauseated! Yegads! I couldn't handle it, so I no longer have an imp, and a bigger bottle shall *not* be mine. Damn.

Edited by feline.by.design

This smells like Burt's Bees Avacado Hair Butter to an uncanny degree (which doesn't smell like avacado, more of a screaming organic citrus type smell) when it is wet. I get kind of a "lime bakery" vibe as it dries. There's something baked goods-esque in an odd way underneath the citrus. It's really a unique scent, but not what I was expecting. I only get the Spooky-esque minty coconut if I put my nose to my wrist, but it's nowhere to be found in the "throw."

I'll update as this ages, as the general consensus seems to be that aging = stronger coconut.

[edit]

It didn't take that much aging to change this a LOT. It's more mint-coconut-something foody and citrus in the bottle, and stays that way on my skin. I can actually smell the mint and coconut clearly now! I really love this now. It's so unique and pretty :P if you bought a bottle and don't like it, let it sit for a couple months and try it again!

Edited by luxuria

The Star is just gorgeous! In the bottle, it's bright and fruity. The "fruity" scared me a bit, but dissipated as soon as it dried on my skin and was replaced by a lovely toasted coconut topnote with something "Fae-ish" underneath. Really spectacular! The only reason I won't be buying a big bottle of this is that it has almost completely disappeared after only 5 minutes. I'm going to try it again when I'm more moisturized. :P

eta: I just noticed the comparisons to Spooky and I want to add that though Spooky was quite disagreeable on me, The Star is fantastic. I hope I can figure out a way to make it last longer.

Edited by orangepoppy

Yummy. I like this. The lime/coconut combination is great. As in Spooky, the mint starts out a bit too strong, but the coconut note that wafts away from my skin is lovely, and the mint calms down later. It's also a bit like Snow White without the weird plastic note I got from that.

This is a sharp-but-soft, white, bright scent with hints of green, very summery. Spooky is like hot minty coconutty cocoa and The Star is like a cold coconut-lime-mint cocktail, but they're quite similar otherwise.

The Star

This was a part of the Tarot swap - since I need to review all of them in a very short time, this will be a brief review.

Preconceived notions: A crystaline clarity hovering over a pool of aquatics and gentle florals.

In the vial:

Wow. Yep “A crystaline clarity hovering over a pool of aquatics and gentle florals.” How did she do that?

On me:

I get some very fresh, clean, clear scent, with something aquatic and deep, and there’s definitely some kind of citrus and coconut - it almost reminds me of pina colada, but it’s not quite so foody. I think there’s mint in here as well. It’s somehow both cold and summery. This is perfect, just perfect, for my understanding of The Star Tarot card.

In 13 minutes:

It’s becoming less fresh and minty and more like a pina colada.

Overall:

I really like the initial scent, and I even like the pina colada stage. I don’t think the latter fits very well with my image of the card, but I may end up getting this anyway. At any rate, it’s very nice and sunny.

In the vial it smelled like mint with a little lemon/lime citrus to it. I didn't smell any coconut at all.

However after it dried it smelled exactly like coconut. I will buy this for a coconut fiend friend of mine. she will want to drink it down!

All hurray Kimmer for her generous nature and imp of Tarot: The Star!

Preconceptions: Like Spooky, like minty..

Imp sniff: Limey! (Blimey? No, just limey.)

Wet: Coconutty!

Drydown: If you like pina coladas... la la la..

I'm going to stick Spooky on the other hand and see.

Impressions: Hm. Spooky's got mint cookie in it. :P The Star's got lime goodness. :D

The Star smells bright, like summer.

Drydown, still sniffing: I found the mint!

Verdict: More of both, yes. I likey!

All right, no more scents on the bod tonight, lest I end up smelling like a whorehouse. :D

first up, this is veeery minty. .in a strange spooky-ish sorta way. its ok, but not great.

as it settles in, it gets minty coconut. i started to like it after about 45 minutes. i didn't get any of the lime, unfortunately.

2 hours later, i'm sniffin around, trying to figure out what chocolate scent i put on. i swear, it didn't even smell like the same oil! there is a nice, deep coconut going on under a chocolate layer. . . .with just the tiniest bit of mint.

i am reeeeally loving this! 3 hours later it is still really strong, and i feel like eating the world (hum, it makes me hungry. . .) . i think THIS is what i wanted spooky to smell like. .. but it took a long time to get there. . .. .

Initial Sniff: Mint and lime with a hint of sweet coconut.

Wearing: Oh, yum. The mint and lime are still around, but the coconut really takes center stage. It is not overly sweet, and is not really foody. It is like a bright white glow... This has great staying power as well.

Final Impressions: This scent immediately jumped to the top of my next order list. :P

star.jpg

I put this in a spoiler tag because it is insidious. Do not read the following unless you want something obvious and dreadful drilled into your head for the rest of the morning and whenever you think of The Star.

Spoiler
She put the lime in the coconut, and drank them both up

She put the lime in the coconut, and drank them both up

She put the lime in the coconut,

Called the doctor, woke him up, and said,

"Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,

I say, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?

I say, Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,

I say, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?"

"Now let me get this straight;

You put the lime in the coconut, you drank them both up

You put the lime in the coconut, you drank them both up

You put the lime in the coconut,

called your doctor, woke him up, and said,

'Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take,

I say, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?

I say, Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,

I say, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?'

You put the lime in the coconut, and drink them both down,

You put the lime in the cocount, you're such a silly woman!

Put the lime in the coconut, and drink them both together,

Put the lime in the coconut, and call me in the morning."

Yes, mint, (lime?), almond, and coconut. I suspect a bit of lavendar and a drop of vanilla. The coconut is all that is left of the blend in about 5 minutes, and it does linger on you but not in a strong way.

A very nice smell and one that conveys the idea of The Star as well as any portrait in scent that Beth has ever done. I like this blend intensely, but I do not love it. I will certainly use up my imp however, and it makes me feel instantly optimistic.

Edited by olympia301

In the vial~ I didn't smell the coconut or pineapple everyone else got. My first thoughts were almond with a fruity back note. I don't care for it in the vial.

Wet~Strong and fruity. Not me at all. I can still smell a hint of almond in the background.

Drydown~It's very citrusy now, not as bad as before. This is not a scent I will hold on to.(passed it to my girls)

Final thoughts~ After about an hour it turned to baby aspirin on me. Tarot the star does not work with my body chemistry. It's a :P scent.

one smiley Definite swap/sale

two smilies Room scent perhaps

three smilies Meh! Nice for occasional use

four smilies Good enough for everyday where

five smilies Superstar blend will sale my first born for more.

Edited by cricketshay

In The Bottle Sugary cold mint.

Wet Correction, sugary cold coconut with mint. It's strong. Really strong.

Drydown Lime? Yes..... lime. With the mint it's not citrusy, but chilly. Strange. And the coconut is like a macaroon........ It is really really sweet.

2 Hours Later Woooo, baby does this one have staying power. It gives me a headache. Mint always does this to me. And the coconut is still really sweet. It's making me kinda nautious.

Verdict I can't do mint or strong food smells. This one really disappointed me. I don't associate any of these smells with the card. I really wanted to like this one because The Star is my favorite card in the deck. It is the one I am drawn to the most, and the one whose meaning is the most inspiring to me. :P

Bottle (Imp): This smells a little minty, and sort of sweet.

Just On: I get some mint, and some herby scent that is laying very low in the background. Could even be citrus rather than herbs, but it's very low key.

An hour or two later: This turned pretty sweet. Still a hint of mint. I'm thinking coconut, maybe something else sweet?

Around 6 hours: Hint of sweet, not much else to it.

12 hours: All gone.

Overall: I really like this one. I could see buying a bigger bottle for when I need a lift, the sweetness is nice, and that slight herbal edge is gorgeous mixed with it. All in all, this is probably my favorite Tarot so far.

After reading other reviews: Well, coconut, lime or lemon, guess I was sort of getting to those. Apparently I'm not the only Star Lover round these parts, and I'm glad. I couldn't wear Spooky, but I can wear this!

from all the reviews, I was expecting soft and creamy, so when it went on herbal and sharp I thought I had the wrong blend!

But it takes time for this to develop; after a while I had sharp citrus overwhelming the soft coconut, and was convinced my skin was schizophrenic; but I could see why people were describing the citrus as lime - very sharp and very fresh!

About an hour later, I can see what all the fuss was about - soft, creamy, coconut and a beautiful lime/citrus that has softened and mellowed out but still retains a refreshing freshness. Lush, indeed....

I’m probably going to be the patron saint of redundancy here, but so be it.

The Star is amazing; cool and crisp and bright. It’s like Key Lime pie, fresh mint, and the creamiest coconut you can imagine swirled into one perfect scent.

It’s sweet, and sharp, but never cloying. It’s clean and foody at the same time, without becoming too much of one to exclude the other.

I’ve had such bad luck buying things unsniffed; this is such a pleasant change.

Vial: Reeks of coconut, even with the cap on. Once I opened it & sniffed, I could smell a bit of lime.

Wet: Now it just reeks of lime & sweet coconut. As it dries, I can smell a bit of mint also.

Dry: In order of the strongest - sharp lime, sweet coconut, & mint. The longer I leave it on, the more the lime fades away. It is the strongest & sharpest note wet, still very sharp dry, but it loses that over time. Yay. Many times has lime ruined a scent. Eventually, it's a light mint & sweet coconut, with some lime. It smells similar to Spooky, but the mint is much weaker here.

When I think of this as Key Lime Pie, as several reviewers have noted, I like it, because that is one of the most divine things on earth and I have literally eaten it for dinner (i.e. skipped dinner, went straight to dessert), I love it so much.

But as a fragrance...yes, the lemon and coconut are appetizing but as I learned with Spooky, if a fragrance has strong coconut in it it will cling to any garment I am wearing and make me smell like I spent the day buttered in sunblock at the beach (which is not something that I would ever do, I'm a forest girl). Not getting any mint, not really getting any lime unless I TRY to imagine it's lime...possibly almond...

Ahh, but this is a Tarot oil, so who cares what it makes me smell like? The important thing is how it captures the card it represents. And it does that quite well. This is a dry, distant but still warm glimmer of white and yellow light. It glows softly and lingers for a long time. It is a scent full of hope and inspiration, it is stimulating and comforting at the same time. And that is why it is a marvelous scent and why I would use it if I had more.

But I don't, so I will just rest assured that I can continue avoiding coconut in most blends, and I am glad that I got to try it!

bottle: sharp lime and sinus-clearing mint

wet: Yikes! Peppermint Altoid strong with more than a hint of lime

10 min: coconut coming out, but still minty, only with more of an Icebreakers strength, where it's more sweet and tasty than numbing

20 min: definitely settling into a creamy, albeit minty, coconut with only a hint of sugared lime...funny--according to my mom, it's coconut and baby powder!

35 min: creamy coconut with a mild minty bite (think Junior Mints). The bit of sugared lime hasn't faded.

1 hour: deep-brown coconut-scented tanning oil with a hint of vanilla ice-cream

3 hours later: gone :P

I don't know how often I'll wear this by itself (most scents last at least 6 hours on me) , but given that I bought a 10ml bottle, I plan to try it out with moisturizers, body powder, and hair products (like The Conditioner, by Paul Mitchell)

In the vial: strong, not so pretty.

Wet: Very strong coconut with a hint of something minty.

10 mins: Coconut and lemons. It's really beautiful. Light and cool; this would be really nice on a very hot day.

Final: I really like this. I don't know if I like it enough to buy a bottle. It's been really cold here, so I want to keep my imp and try it again in the warmer weather. The lemon is really nice and cooling and the coconut takes away from the sharpness of the citrus. This is a really nice blend.