Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

The Star

Origin:

The Tarot Series Circle.

First sniff:

Something about The Star really doesn’t appeal to my nose, which surprises me. I smell something citrusy, but almost like a citrus that’s gone...off and, in the background, mint and maybe vanilla and coconut. If it weren’t for the citrus, I’d most likely like this, but I just can’t get past the citrus. :D

Wet on skin:

The citrus is a little less intense now, so I like it better than in the imp, but it’s still not quite working for me. I like the minty vanilla/coconut part (it reminds me of Spooky), but the citrus is turning my stomach a little. :P

Dry down:

The citrus has really receded, but there’s still enough present to ruin The Star for me, unfortunately. I can see why someone else might like this but for me it’s just not working. :D

The bottom line:

I wanted to like The Star, but the citrus just isn’t working for me.

Oooh, this is a really good gourmand scent.

When I first put it on, I got a clear and sunny lemon drop scent that faded into...Lipton Mint Lemongrass tea over about 3 minutes (I don't think they make that tea anymore :P).

The minty-lemony goodness lasted for about 15 minutes until a coconut note appeared and gradually took over the scent.

Most of the notes were top notes, so only the vanilla and coconut are still going strong a few hours later, with just the slightest undercurrent of lemon balm-in-the-sun. :D

Absolutely lovely. I'm going to need a bottle of this.

I had such high hopes for this one :P but it is not for me.

In the bottle it is a VERY sharp citrus smell - like pink grapefruit - only evil.

As it drys the citrus fades and a very yummy coconut emerges. Unfortunately it fades on my skin within the hour even though I applied it twice.

Rating (out of 5)

In the imp: Coconut, and something else. Can't quite put my finger on it.

On, wet: Lots of coconut, with a hint of mint, and still that indefinable something-else I can't really nail down. It's sweet, whatever it is. Almost sickening.

Later: Not sure what to make of this one, really. Now it's mostly coconut and citrus. Whatever was making me kind of ill is gone, and so is any trace of mint. It's nice. I'll think about it. ^^

I was very keen to try The Star, because of the reviews comparing it to Spooky, which I adore, but I'll go broke if I keep buying it on ebay. :P

So I was thrilled to get an imp from paperdoll. Thanks!

I don't get any vanilla in this at all, which disappointed me, as I was hoping for the yummy vanilla I get from Spooky. However, I have now worn it several times, and I'm beginning to appreciate it on its own merits. On me, it's a lovely light coconut, with just a zest of lime, and is very consistent from imp to wearing to fade. I may just have to put this back on the big bottle list.

In the imp, I get an electric white mint with a hint of something darker, but I'm not sure what. On my skin, that something darker makes the mint softer, but I still can't tell what it is -- maybe the vanilla or coconut that's been mentioned? Whatever it is, the scent is absolutely lovely. After a few hours, I can't smell it anymore, though. :P

ETA: Correction! Several hours later I suddenly could smell it again -- maybe my nose had numbed while I kept sniffing my wrist, I don't know...but I could definitely smell a very sharp, electric mint again. Whatever had made it softer had disappeared, though.

Edited by angharad

In the vial: Lemon drops! But even more sour.

On me: Still lemon drops. It took awhile for me to smell it without feeling the sour in the back of my throat. Once it calmed down, some coconut came out a tiny, little bit but not a whole lot.

Overall: I don't think coconut likes me. :P I like it, but coconut isn't showing up on me in any coconut blends I try. This was almost pure lemon on me. It was okay and of course I'll use the rest of it, but not my favorite.

I love both mint and coconut, so I was keen to try this. It definatley had both, but as a cacaphony of scents that left me feeling overwhelmed at the mixture. I could detect mint and coconut first, then almond/cherry, and then some sort of citrus. The funny thing is that I like all of these notes, but together they get loud and noisy on my skin apparently (hey turn it down over there!). I am a little disappointed, but it was really nice in the bottle so the amping is probably me. Maybe a scent locket would help...

I adore the minty-vanilla-coconut parts of this scent, but I don't care much for the lemon/lime note. That note is incredibly strong and tenacious on my skin, it just won't mellow long enough to give the notes I love a chance to shine.

When I do swaps, most of the time, I'll tell people to just surprise me, because it gives me the chance to try things I might normally not.

This was one of those.

Its a minty lemony vanilla coconut.

It really opens up my sinuses and makes me feel very alert. I put it on for the days I'm dragging a little

I have only found one citrus so far in the WORLD that I will wear on the hottest of the hot days diluted WAY down, and that is Azen Myoo.

That being said, I cannot wear the Star. It is quite powerful while having a soft, etherial edge. However, it is not for me.

Crisp Lemon-lime citrus notes, fresh zesty green herbal mint sprigs, sweet vanilla-sugar and creamy raw coconut!

Wow. I didn't think this would be a scent I could wear, but yet again... the lab amazes me.

The only note that really carries after it dried was the coconut and vanilla. The sharp mint and citrus faded quickly. This is so unique. I love it!

When I first put The Star on, it smelled like almonds, fresh pears, and cinnamon. After it dried down, it smells like lime, almonds, and a hint of coconut. Not as much of a coconut smells as Perversion, very faint and subtle. Actually, this scent is subtle and bright at the same time. It's nice, because it's sort of foody, but not overpoweringly so; sort of sweet, but not sticky. It's not my typical scent, but I'll enjoy the rest of my partial imp.

The Star's not one of my favorite cards in the Tarot, and unfortunately the scent doesn't agree with me either!

Whitish-yellow in the bottle. I smell mint and lemon... what an odd combination. After application, there's coconut added to the mix, and something a little green. But it's a little bit like minty lemon pledge. It's not terrible, but it's not for me. :P

I bought an Imp of this from OriginalWacky (:P) for my mum as part of her Christmas present.... but I had to test it, didn't I? Shhh! :D

In the vial: Fruity, bubbly, tangy almost alcoholic-- I'm smelling citrus and coconut, mint, pineapple, and something smooth and rich and a little dark underneath.... almost like a tropical Peppermint patty. Oh Gods, this is gorgeous, I hope it stays this pretty on my skin!

Wet: A burst of that dark, sweet, slinky, distant smell I can't pin down, quickly followed by rich coconut and beautifully round lime-- or possibly lemon. This is making my nose tingle in the most delicious way possible. The throw is good and seems to be all coconut and citrus.

Dry: More coconut, laced with citrus and that mysterious background note-- not amber, not any musk I'm familiar with... ambergris, perhaps? I smell like.... well, exactly like I imagine a star would smell. I'm not terribly familiar with Beth's conceptual blends, but as far as representing the card goes... this is an absolute masterpiece.

What's more, it will be ideal for my mother: serene and cool, sweet yet not homey or maternal. She's a Reiki therapist and a reverend and very, very powerful, in her own way, but I've never seen her intimidate anyone. She's friendly and beautiful and yet there's something ethereal, almost queenly, about her, and this is perfect for her. She loves tropical things as well, so I think she'll like this-- and I'd love to smell it on her!

This is incredible. It's so rich and complex; starlight-bright but also very untouchable, and just a touch chilling. I adore this... if my mum doesn't like this, I may get a bottle anyway. :D

[edit] I realise now that I didn't really give a very good description of the scent... so, this might be a little more helpful: The Star is warm, full coconut topped by round lime and pineapple, with a golden, rich smell underneath. Like a smooth, creamy, milky chocolate-liqueur filled candy, blended with a slinky ambery-musky concoction. Completely unique and unbelievably delicious.

Edited by WidgetAlley

In the bottle:

Sweet and a little astringent. Like...coconut and lavender, maybe tea?

Wet:

Oh, heady and lovely. There's definitely coconut and a little vanilla, and that bright, herbal note. I hope this lasts, because I detect some citrus and that's often a deal-breaker for me.

Drydown:

Well, on drydown I realize that somehow I've mistaken mint for lavender, because up it comes. It's getting sweeter, too, and the citrus is starting to fade from well-blended to non-existent.

Eventually, this turns into a much, much better version of Spooky, less burnt and a more toned-down mint. It's a sweet mint, almost chocolate, and the herbal astringency is gone. I really liked that wet stage, so it's too bad, but smelling like chocolate-coconut-mint cookies is almost as good, even if I definitely don't get "The Star" from this. Love it, though, and will ponder a bottle, mmm.

In the Imp:

It smells just like an Amaretto Sours. Almond and sour limes. So good!

Wet on the skin:

The almond lasts for a little while and then fades out, leaving the lime and revealing coconut and a little bit of mint. Then it becomes more coconutty (coconut always seems to come up strongest on my skin, it's the same with Spooky).

Dry:

Coconut, mint and lime, but quite sweet.

Le boyf's opinion:

"Peppermint....hmmm, coconut and peppermint. It's confused, it doesn't know what it is. 4 out of 10."

I really love this! It smells great in the imp and even nicer on.

The Star is the card I always get in online tarot readings . . . I haven't done an actual reading for myself in a long time, so that's the only reference I have to go by, but it seems to vibe right for me. So I was pretty excited about trying this one out.

The first few minutes after I put it on, it's like a bright white and yellow and green scent, like pineapple and coconut and mint. A little too sweet, but it gets tamer as it dries. Dry, a little bit of a citrus kick -- lime, maybe -- hops on, and the mint fades back. It smells kind of like a piña colada . . . creamy but fruity and sweet and bright.

I like it a lot. It's more of a summer scent than a winter scent -- I'll see how much I like it in the summer before I buy a big bottle. But I think it's a pretty good rendition of The Star, and I'm definitely keeping the imp.

I like the minty vanilla/coconut part (it reminds me of Spooky), but the citrus is turning my stomach a little. :P

Swapping "citrus" for "coconut" in Penance's post sums it up for me. I really like Spooky, and I was really looking forward to trying this oil, as I was thinking that it might be a summer equivalent... but unfortunately, on me the coconut amps way, WAY up and, yes, makes my stomach flip a bit. Very odd, as I have never had that kind of physical reaction to any other oil I've tried! I did like the citrus/mint notes... but the overall blend was a bit overwhelming for me.

Wow! I just got a huge amount of imps. I am a happy girl! But I will be doing reviews on each of them carefully. Still not positive I am doing this right, but, grin, I suppose someone will "edumacate" me.

Tarot - Star

MINT and sweet and something medicinal that I don't like at all. Licorice or Vanilla maybe?

7:46pm MINT still but not so medicinal. If I sniff deeply, I don't like it. If I wave my wrist back and forth in front of my nose, it is different. Vanilla again.... But real vanilla.. not the fake stuff.

Ouch my nose!

7:47 Not so much mint as vanilla now... and coconut. Oh that's the problem! I despise coconut! LOL! I smell like a minty pina colada.

Ok, I give. The coconut is gonna kill me. hee!

7:49 Scrubbed with soap. Now it smells GREAT! A bit lemony-minty. I could live with this.

So... do I put it on and then take a shower? :-)

I'm smelling lime, coconut, mint, something that reminds me of verbana, vanilla, and a bit of something nutty - probably the almond.

I don't like this at all in the bottle, it smells like pledge, but in the air and on the skin, it's fantastic. This is my second Tarot scent, and I am very pleased. This one's a little stronger than the other (The Sun), which I like too.

In the vile, this had a vaguely astringent smell, and it was hard for me to pick up any notes save for the mint.

Once I put it on, things started to become clearer.

For a long while, I had nothing but a high, sharp, sugary mint. To be honest the smell reminded me of a candy called Edinburgh Rock. I'm not sure that I want to smell like Edinburgh Rock when I'm out and about, but I have very fond memories of Edinburgh, so I wasn't entirely displeased.

It took a while for the mint to tone down. Lime eventually made an appearance, with a tiny hint of cocoanut. The mellower smell is actually very nice, although the sharpness of mint never really makes an exit.

I think I'll keep this around for sentimental reasons. The Star is a good pick-me-up, even if it's not a great perfume for daily use. Heh. I suppose that's appropriate, given the meaning of the card!

Edited by Sycorax

An imp of this came my way via a friend.

Immediately after putting this on, I wanted to start chewing on my wrist. Not to chew it off, but because it smelled rather edible. I reminded myself sternly that eating your own flesh is bad and settled down to suffering from wrist-to-nose disease instead.

This is lemon and lime, along with coconut and mint. There's just a hint of vanilla, but that doesn't show itself until the oil has been on for a few hours. I'd describe it as soothing and comforting/comfortable, as well as an interesting combination of relaxing and refreshing.

I love this scent. I loved it right after I put it on, when the lemon and lime were all in my face. And I loved it after it dried down. And I loved it when the vanilla came out to play. And I loved it the next morning, when I woke up and could still smell the hint of perfume on my skin before I shower. This oil bumped its way to the top of my want list and sneaked into my Valentine's Day order because I just don't know that I'd be happy only having an imp of it. (Mostly because I don't think that I'd have an imp of it for very long!) :P

In the bottle, this is almost pure lime.

Wet, this is again lime. Very, very limey.

Dry, this starts to become a bit more complex - mint comes out and though the lime is still the main scent, the mint is a strong backdrop. There's also a hint of coconut, and after a few hours, a bit of what I think is vanilla.

Overall, this scent is just wonderful. It reminds me of Shattered a bit - the citrus/mint combo. The Star could easily become the closest thing I have to a 'signature' scent, especially since it's so much happier and uplifting than another favorite, Dorian.

Tarot symbolism-wise, this isn't quite what I'd imagine a Star scent would be - I expected something a bit more aquatic, perhaps - but it does fit well with the theme of the card.

I had to order this because I love all things coconut and, after reading a few of the reviews, I thought this would suit me!

In the bottle: Lime, very lime. In fact, my first thought was of Key West, which is one of my favorite places, and of Key lime pie, which is divine. I can smell the coconut but it is being overpowered by the lime.

On my skin: Lovely, a lovely tropical blend. The coconut comes out a bit more and I think I am getting some vanilla notes also.

Drydown: The Star makes me happy. It is a very happy scent. The throw is nice and and it lasts longer than some of the recent blends I have tried. I love the tropical feel to it. I'm keeping the bottle. I am gonna have to buy a plane ticket now because I really want to lay on the beach in the sun and feel sand between my toes and frolick, yes that is what I want to do. And I want some pie...yumm :P