Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

The Star

in the bottle: a lemon coconut combination that is out of this world. :D

wet on skin: i'm getting some strong almond notes tossed into the mix, but it doens't take away from the others at all.

dry down: like...lime/coconut...cookies? :P confused! and yet :D delighted!

in all: not necessarily the way i picture The Star smelling, considering it's my favorite card in the Tarot. and yet, it's sweetness, it's playfulness, does not in any way disappoint. thrilled to have this to add to my collection.

:D

Once again, some kind forumite frimped a sniffie and I really appreciate this always!! Anyways, back to The Star. This is a beautiful, citrussy buttery scent. I'm a big citrus fan, and this one seems lemony to me, and along with a bit of foody cake, this is a really awesome scent. I'm not even sure if this is a gc scent, if it is *crosses fingers*, I must get some. If not, I will be very sad, but still, I'm very glad to even have tried just a little bit of this gem.

when i apply it, it’s equal parts lemon, lime and mint, with a little bit of powdery, sweetened dried coconut. it’s very strong. take a deep breath -- it really clears out your sinuses, without being all “eww medicine!” i’m usually not a fan of lemon because it overpowers everything else. but the mint is really holding its own here. i wouldn’t really call this “pretty,” but it’s very refreshing and invigorating. i think it would be good for working out. after a few minutes it does threaten to turn “lemon pledge” but the mint and coconut manage to restrain the wayward lemon and keep things pleasant-smelling.

sadly, not what I was hoping for. :P It dries down a little better, but for a long while it's just lemon lime cleaning fluid. Gives me a headache. Oh well.

I love The Star and really need to wear it more often. I think I don't wear it because it's in a 10ml bottle, which doesn't fit in the little plastic drawer unit that I use for BPAL storage, so I keep it in my sock drawer and never think to go get it. Anyway!

The Star smells very citrus-y in the bottle, and there is some coconut, but on my skin it's almost immediately a citrus cookie. It reminds me of those lemon cookies they sell in Italian bakeries. I don't actually like the way they taste, but I looooove the way they smell! The citrus (it doesn't really smell like straight lime on my skin, more like lemon or a lemon-lime mix) does eventually calm down a bit, but it doesn't disappear, so the lemon cookie scent stays true. This is a very nice foody blend that's suitable for warm weather because it's not too heavy. Definitely my favorite of the (relatively few) Tarot blends I've tried.

Ooooh, this is gorgeous! I get mostly minty coconut with chamomile! This is so pretty and unique...I will definitely nab some more if I'm lucky enough to find any! :wub2:

Mmm, The Star. Apparently Aquarius is The Star's ruling sign, so maybe it appeals so much to me because I am an Aquarian. Or maybe it's just because it smells great.

The lab did not provide any notes for this blend, but I'd describe it as a warm citrus scent with rich coconut. On paper, that kind of makes it sound like either sunscreen or a cocktail, but it's really not. It's a lovely bright, optimistic scent, which also manages to be cosy and comforting at the same time. The citrus is sparkly, avoiding the nasty artificial tone you can sometimes get with citrus scents, and the coconut is a rich undertone which warms the scent without overpowering. I love it and I want a bottle.

This is a truly lovely scent, especially with some age on it- which, I guess, is to say all bottles in existence now! I ordered a 10mL when it was d/c'd, knowing I'd rather liked the imp I had of it and had intended to buy it for some time. I found that the new bottle was a bit... one dimensional?... when brand new. It has mellowed over the years, the different notes melding together better. Despite that citrus notes tend to not age real well, the lime is still there and just right now. It also has gotten foodier smelling to me, more like lime coconut cookies. The coconut is kinda related to the one in Obatala, IMO. It lasts really well on skin and throws pretty strongly, a little dab is plenty and I'm a slatherer for sure. I will be breaking out this bottle a heck of a lot more. It's lovely. It reminds me a little of Diary of a Teenage Cannibal.

On me, this is a sweet lemon/lime with just a hint of something creamy. If it's coconut, it's not standing out that way on my skin at first. It's slightly vanillic in tone. As it dries, the coconut comes out more, and there is almost a "toasted" feel to it. I like this alot!

Apparently I did not read the reviews of this oil very thoroughly. I saw "lime and coconut" and I was officially On a Mission to hunt down the Star. If only I had known that it had an almond note (my nemesis), I could have saved myself the trouble and the $30. :(

Got a decant of the Star frimped, thanks a lot!

Wet: this is greener than I expected. It smells almost like lemon verbena with the tiniest hint of coconut. Rather herbal.

Dry: the coconut has amped considerably but there is also a waxy note that I can't identify. It's still mostly herbal lemon with waxy coconut.

Verdict: the combination of that butter/wax note with the lime is making me feel slightly queasy. Another htf scent that I don't have to look for.

So I managed to hunt down a 10ml of this one, and when I first got it in the mail all I smelled was lemongrass. I was sad, but left it for a few months. Now that I'm testing it again, I still smell a lemon/lime smell but a soft hint of tropical coconut comes out more now and it's so divine. :wub2: It's like a key lime coconut cookie.

Puddin sent an imp of this along with my recent Goblin Grab Barrel. I had trouble getting the imp open, as some of the plastic from the cap had deteriorated :eek:

The Star is predominantly lemon, coconut and sugar. I agree that there is also the scent of lemongrass and lime in here. The citrus scent is complex enough to make this lovely and intriguing. The lemon is a bit bitter, but this is very pretty and I'm so glad I got to try it. This smells like a great cocktail I would have loved when living in Miami. :tongue:

ETA: Deep into the dry down, this is much more a light lemon sugar cookie scent than it is a cocktail. I can see this being lovely in summer!

Edited by Klepz

Wet: a peppermint, with a tiny hint of coconut in the background

Drydown: peppermint and lemon pledge. clean, sweet, and minty. no complaints.

Dry: the peppermint stays clean and fresh, but not as overpowering. The coconut and lemon somehow balance each other out. It does end up becoming a nice, fresh, summer scent.

In the imp: Mint, coconut, and citrus – maybe lime?

Wet: Yes, it's lime. I'm getting lots of fresh lime. After a few minutes, it begins to get sweeter, and I think that might be the coconut.

Dry: Lime, coconut, and a hint of mint. I think there may be some lemongrass beneath the lime, too. The lime in this sure has some longevity!

Much later, the coconut note ends up becoming the dominant note, and it's lovely!

Verdict: I really enjoy this. It's refreshing and uplighting. I'll cherish my imp and use it sparingly during the summer months.

Edited by dementia_divine

Mint, lemon, sugar, maybe even coconut? Strong with lots of throw. I didn't expect this to be so foodie! It's delicious, but a little too foodie for me to wear.