Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

The Star

The Star

In the imp: almonds, and also a sweet fruity smell that may be pineapple!

Wet on skin: ohh, this is nice, creamy almonds and coconut milk with tropical fruit juice!!! Yum!

Dry on skin: mmm, this is interesting. There's a slight pina colada smell here, but there's also some mint too! The almond has faded, so now this smells like a delicious summer cocktail. It's a bright, white, shining and sparkling blend of coconut milk, tropical fruit (either pineapple or mango or both), and cool peppermint.

After a while: ooh, the pineapple note becomes more pronounced, the mint fades and the coconut still smells smooth and creamy. Yup, this is real pina colada, and it smells so genuine I want to lick myself.

After a few hours, I'm left with a lovely creamy sugary scent reminiscent of Snow White's drydown, but with added fruit.

Verdict: this is a youthful, sparkling, glamorous cocktail of delicious scents. It starts off with sweet almond which then fades to give way to a delightful scent of pina colada with crème de menthe. The coconut note in here is gorgeous, really summery smelling and creamy, and there's a delicious fruity scent which smells just like real tropical fruit juice, pineapple and possibly mango, and a twist of mint. I'm not sure what the tarot card of the Star means, but this blend shines and glows with a bright and clear sparkling white-gold scent. This is the perfect perfume to wear on those warm summer nights whilst watching the stars and sipping cocktails on holiday in some exotic location. I think a big bottle is in order.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Wet - coconut and citrus; surprisingly foody. My son swears he smells mint as well, but I don't notice it. But then again, I often don't get mint when others do.

Dry - Lime is taking center stage now. It's a bitter lime, the oil from the peel, but the coconut is still in the background, sweetening it up. About a half-hour in, the lime has now faded and hey, my son was right, I do smell a trace of mint. While I love coconut, the coconut/lime combo is just too fruity for my tastes.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

In bottle:

Tart and bright, fresh limes!

On me:

Wow this is gorgeous. Obviously, as everyone has said - there is limes. It's beautiful and tart and a little bit sweet. It takes a few minutes before I start to smell the coconut, it's so light and very much in the background on this scent. It's not too sweet, but this scent IS still a little foody in my opinion. As shriekingviolets pointed out, there is some pineapple way way in the background I think. More than just lime, I am smelling something light and tropical fruity. I believe it must be pineapple. After 15 minutes this mellows a bit but that lime still comes through loud and clear. I smell like Key Lime Pie.

Final note:

I do think of this as a foody scent, but it's not so much so that I wouldn't wear it. It's not too sweet and it's very uplifting and cheery. It's a hopeful, youthful scent that I think could lighten anyones mood. Though I certainly wouldn't wear this on a daily basis, I have to get a big bottle of this because it IS a really beautiful scent that I can certainly appreciate. Might be great for days when I'm feeling in a rut :P

This was an eye-stingingly intense scent on me. To my nose, it smelled like mint and some sort of evergreen tree. I thought it was like a sweeter version of Undertow with a scent like fresh cookies and sour apple candy. I didn't smell any coconut when it was on my skin, but the coconut in Black Pearl disappeared on me too, so maybe that's what happened here.

I'm glad I got to try this, but it's too candyish for me, so off to swap for more tarot imps!

Coconut macaroons with a touch of orange peel.

Yah I know, odd association but that's what the Star dries down to on me. It's sweet, homey, comforting, and rather bakery like in an Italian cookie sort of way. I don't really want to smell like this all the time as it made me amazingly hungry, but it was great to try.

IN THE BOTTLE: It's a sweet light mint. WET: It morphs into Hawaiian Tropic suntan oil. This is nice enough, that sweet lemony coconut thing going, but to me Van Van does it better and without the suntan oil vibe. ... It's also a lot like Spooky on me. I like it but don't lurve it and have passed it along to a certain someone who accidentally left it in her jeans pocket before they hit the wash :P

On a scale of 1-5, a good 3.

My Impression:

It is a complex scent that I have a hard time making out single notes, but I agree with earlier reviews about the citrus and coconut, beyond that there is something else that I keep trying to put my finger on and can't. Its driving me batty. A nice enough scent, but I wouldn't wear it everyday. :P

I can see why this one is a favorite. It's a sweet, coconuty blend, but not at all foody to me. I detect a hint of mint and some citrus - very gorgeous, just wish it had more throw.

If I had the money, I'd for sure buy a big bottle!

Suntan lotion coconut smell with citrus to start. Then it smells like lemon-lime candy for awhile. A little touch of mint, and vanilla coconut cream/milk is hiding under the overwhelming citrus. Once it's dry for awhile, it settles into a clean, light, soft vanilla-y citrus--or, sometimes it morphs to coconut vanilla milk.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Coconut.

In the imp/bottle: Sweet, fruity-floral coconut and buttery almond.

On skin, wet: Chalky fruits, coconut and buttery, cloying almond.

On skin, dry: Chalky, buttery, overly sweet coconut.

Conclusion: Almost all coconut, with a undertone of almond. My skin almost always amps up the coconut, and usually turns it chalky, and since I'd bet there's coconut in this (or something very, very close to it), that's no surprise here. Almonds very rarely agree with me, either.

Edited by Aredhel

This is the third (of three) Tarot decants I have tried, and I have officially decided that there is something in the Tarot Series base oils that does not agree with my chemistry (for those playing along at home, the other are The World and Judgement, which both have completely different top notes, but leave a similar unpleasantness on my skin...) :P

The Star does smell absolutely delightful in the bottle - warm and coconutty with some fruit and something heavier (perhaps the evil bases?) weighing it down.

On my skin, I still get the lovely coconut and fruit, which I do really like, but there is something else, which I could not identify if my life depended on it, which starts to creap out and overpower the lovelyness and make me queasy. It is as though I like half this scent but intensely dislike another half.

So sad. I will have to look elsewhere for coconutty goodness...

I really wanted to love The Star.

When I first put in on, I got mint - so far, so good.

Then there was an underlying sweetness - it smelled like a blend of citrus and lotus - still OK.

Then there was coconut - usually a good note for me.

Usually. This reminds me of Spooky, because in both, the combination of coconut and lime goes all chalky and artificial on me. I'm disappointed, as I like all the notes I can smell in this - but the drydown just isn't pleasant with my chemistry. :P

I finally got to try an imp of The Star, and it's immediately jumped onto my Big Bottles Wishlist. This is *the* summer BPAL to me. A bright burst of lime and fresh mint topnotes, and then immediately creamy coconut and almond cookies! The lime stays around though, and the throw is excellent--it wafts beautifully. I didn't know a bakery base scent could combine so well with fruits. :P

The Star is a mojito with fresh sprigs of mint in it, served with a plate of macaroons to nibble by the pool. It is decadent and summery and posh. A vacation in a bottle. Truly gender-neutral, too, and one of the few scents where Brian picked out exactly the same notes I did (we have quite different noses). We need a bottle to share. I'm glad The Star is one of my favorite cards, so I have an excuse to dump this on--it's for ritual! :D

In the bottle

yummy lemon chiffon cake

On

urgh, coconut. Yep, it smells as wonky on me as it did a year ago.

I smell camphor which is nice at times, but not when everyone else is smelling yumminess. And the cocnut brings a dirty smoky scent to the whole mix. My skin chemistry hate me. :P

30 minutes

Yeah, more of the same.

Throw:

a bit more than average

Scent category:

foody citrus...I suppose.

Summary

I suppose it could be a good representation of The Star. How come whenever I take my arm away it smells good, but when I sniff it up close it's completely different. *sigh*

Purchase again?

No

1-5 rating (5 being best)

My imp of this scent is VERY different than my bottle, but that's alright seeing as I'm in the middle of my "lady time" and I could just be imagining a certain smell. I edited the post to compare my older sample to my bottle.

In the bottle: Lovely bitter lime in homemade coconut milk, just like coconut-lime rice. There's the creamy and slightly sweet coconut coming through behind it.

In the imp: Astringent peppermint with a bitter lime peeking through.

Drying bottle: The lime and peppermint mix with something else in the mix to make a sort of coconut milk chai flavor. I swear there's clove in here somewhere! It's not bad, I really do like cloves.

Drying imp: strong peppermint, slight lime, very slight coconut

Overall bottle: I love this scent, whether it's the creamy creamy lime coconut or the coconut chai smell. I will definately keep this one around for everyday use, very much a great buy. After comparing to imp, smells a tid bit like Fruit Loops.

Overall imp: softer and less spicy than my bottle, wish the bottle was a tid bit more like this.

In the bottle: Almonds, lime and mint

Upon application: Whoa. The almond disappears right away and I'm left with something that smells a LOT like Spooky on me (must be the mint-coconut combo) right down to the unpleasant burnt, plasticky note and a chocolate-y quality. It even smells like Junior Mints for a while.

Drydown: The plastic-y note actually dissipates (which it never did in Spooky) and I'm left with a SWEET vanilla coconut with mint in second place and lime around the edges. Too foody for me - and I think I just don't like mint with my coconut.

Hours later drydown: Sweet sugary coconut. Too sweet.

Overall: Not for me, but I can totally see how others love it. Or will love it when they try it!

Note: This might work for you if you didn't like Spooky but still want something similar.

Edited by wolfie13

This one is my Tarot Card, so I'm very excited!

Fresh I get mint, coconut and a lemony touch. It's quite like Concentration.

Dry the mint goes more like the one I get from Milk Moon, and the coconut is the one I get from Spooky.

If you like both, you'll love this scent.!

I keep trying scents with coconut, even though it usually makes me queasy. With this scent, I finally know why! I picked up an imp from joseybird (thanks!) because the Star is one of the cards I feel most drawn to (especially this beautiful one from the Gaian Tarot).

Freshly applied, I get a bright burst of LIME and coconut. I like lime, so this is good. After fifteen minutes or so, it settles into a bright white coconut & mint with some lingering lime influence. At last I am rewarded for my foolish persistence in coconut scents! This isn't foody at all, it's calming & beautiful. And it matches my mental image of the card exactly. Usually I'm not all that fond of citrus or mint, but I may have to get a big bottle of this sometime. :P

Edited by spanishviolet

Holy Mother! A coconut scent that doesn't go plastic on me!

I've been extremely anxious to get this one, because I've tried many different coconut scents since ordering it, with mostly unpleasant results. I was so pleasantly surprised when I finally got this.

Out of the bottle, it's a crystalline lime-mint, with just a bit of creaminess detectable. The mint, of course, pulls its usual disappearing act within minutes. What I'm left with is a creamy, pale coconut milk scent, with the lightest wiff of something brightly citrus.

I am still in shock that I am actually smelling the coconut in here. It's sweet but not foody. It smells nothing like tanning lotion, but like fresh coconut split open.

That being said, I now just don't know if I'm a huge fan of coconut. (It smells like the real coconut you would eat....and I dislike eating it.) :P Without the plastic note, it's certainly pleasant, but I just...don't know. I think I need to wear this one some more to get a better feel for it.

EDIT: further dried down, this is even sweeter and creamier, and less distinctly coconutty. I like!

Edited by maewitch

Woah! This is powerful! This scent is definilty worth of it's name.

LIME, coconut and definilty mint....or something else herbaly. There's another note in there I can't quite put my finger on, it's the very last thing I smell.

This almost smells exactly like Bath and Bodys Works Coconut Lime Verbena..but with a minty twist!

This is a perfect summer scent. I wish I had known about this one earlier! I would've purchased a big bottle for those summer evening parties ^^ It's definilty not an everyday scent, but more of a special occasion, fun type of oil.

Edited by CourtneyLynne

POW.

My first smell of this was akin to a "drive by fruiting", as Mrs. Doubtfire would say. Drive by fruiting with LIMES, fresh ones. My nose was tingling and all I could smell was lime for a few moments. Don't get me wrong, it's a very fresh and juicy smell, but it's really quite potent. My wrist stings a little!

Mm.. now that I've babbled on intolerably about limes, the scent has been dutifully drying down to a luscious coconut-lime smell. I feel like eating a key lime pie with coconut topping. Really decadent and yet light and fresh at the same time. It really grows on you... At first it's just overpowering, but now the lime is fading slightly, though still lending it's fresh zing to the mixture. I smell a twinge of mintiness maybe, it's a nice touch.

Mm.. drool. I'm loving this more and more. It's developing a softness, though it still has an edge that grounds it and keeps it from being too precious a scent. I love it and wish I had been able to use it over the summer months. Though I won't let the cold stop me from using this delightful blend.

ETA.. I've been wearing this often, and it's really extraordinary. I love it more every time I wear it. If you've ever used quinquireme of nineveh soap by Lush (before it was discontinued).. this is it with a dash of lime. So beautiful.

Edited by Firewaver

I've seen a lot of glowing reviews for this scent, but I wasn't so charmed, unfortunately...

This is most definitely citrus. When it's wet I can also smell the coconut and vanilla, but for the most part it reminds me strongly of lemon drops: lemon flavor with lots of sugar mixed in, sweet and sour and slightly artificial. On my skin, the vanilla and coconut vanish completely, and all that's left is the sugared lemon. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, except that the Star's scent is so strong and overpowering; it's a little too strong for me. Ah well...

I sniffed this the other night and it was very sherbert lemon with something else floating under it. I will have to wear this to see what I think.

Tried it again, My fella says it smells like a curry (I think its the coconut/almondy smell) and as it was quite overpowering anyway - It's on the swap list!!

Oh goodness, holy "foody" batman!

Immediately upon opening my lil' imp I was besotted by a wave of coconut / lime / cinnamon. Now the latter two have settled in and this is pure coconutty goodness.

I imagine an amazing scent for body lotion. Hmmmm tempting.

I am not sure whether I find this more deserty or more "sunblocky". I am somewhat reminded of coconut sun oil from the 80s.

After letting it sit on me for a while:

It's kinda synthetic coconut and doesn't seem to have much depth. It's a wee too brash for me.

You know the Body Shop's coconut product smell? It's just like that.

Edited by aidenraine

My friend decanted an imp of The Star for me and told me that it is 'key lime pie in a bottle'. I love lime (the smell and taste of it), so I was pretty excited to try this. Then I read over the reviews here and realized that lots of people were comparing it to Spooky. Spooky didn't work on me, so I'm a bit worried. Mint usually doesn't work on me either...

There was no need to worry.

This isn't the key lime pie fragrance that others have described, but it isn't bad either. I'm not getting any lime at all, or even any coconut, but there is a sweet, creamy mintiness here, along with a sort of herbal tea smell. Peppermint patties, minus the chocolate, perhaps. Cool, minty, somehow foodie, and kind of herbal.

I'm not crazy about this, but it isn't awful.

Edited by Blood onmy hands