Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

The Star

In the imp: Mint...coconut...and an almost bitter lime scent.

On wet: The mint and lime are doing a funky tango on a dance floor made of coconut!

Drydown: Those initial three notes are still what I'm smelling, though the coconut's become a bolder presence, working with the equally smooth mint to tame that brash splurt of limey goodness.

Overall: The combination of notes works incredibly well in this blend - especially once the drydown mellows them out a bit. And you wanna talk about morphing ability? When the coconut and mint take center stage, it's as if I've dipped my arm into a vat of some deliciously creamy confection - a minute later, it's the fresh green zing of minty limes assaulting my nostrils, forcing eyes gone dreamy to open, focus, and remain alert - a minute after that, I've been transported to a sugar-white beach, where coconut-lime cocktails are delivered to my chaise by sun-browned, half-nekkid serving men who regard me with warm eyes and eager-to-please smiles...

::pauses to daydream about such a place for a few moments...::

::reluctantly returns to reality to complete her review::

In a nutshell, I absolutely *adore* each of the three main notes on their own, so it's no surprise that I'm loving 'em mixed all together. A delighted 4.5/5. :P

bottle: pure happy mint

wet: buttermints (which I love),

dry:slight hint of coconut behind the mint

I think this would be a good scent when I am down; a good pick me up!

In the bottle: very sweet. Makes think of a summer beach, somewhere south and hot.

On my skin: coconut and lemon. I usually HATE coconut but this Star is TEH feel-good scent for me. It makes me smile each time I smell my wrist (and that's often!).

After a couple of hours: it's warm, it's bright yellow, it totally sticks to what the Star (the Tarot Card) means to me.

Verdict: YES, YES, YES! Big bottle is on its way. As soon as I get it, I will decant an imp for my best friend who's a big coconut fan. I'm curious to know her opinion as, I, the coconut-hater, totally fell in love with this one.

Pfft...mint coconut my ass.

In the imp (very kindly swapped to me) this reminded me immediately of an herbal heat pad I have. The mint sticks in your nose and there are soft herbs behind it.

Shortly after putting it on, I still got that "hangs with you mintiness" followed by "OMG YUCK WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!" X_X It's like fried fish or something. I want to smell my wrist to identify it, but every time I do I get grossed out.

I think this will be a strictly anointing oil only.

The Star...

I don't read the tarot although I have always had a fascination with it..so the sole reason for me purchasing a 10ml bottle was strictly on the reviews; again..it boiled down to the whole coconut factor. I am searching for the perfect coconut scent..and although as of now it seems as if Snow White is on top I simply had to try this..the idea of coconut, lime and mint just was too good to pass up.

So..I wore it today...it's my good friend's birthday today and I figured he seems like a "star" to me..and willingly annointed my pulse points accordingly at around 1:30pm this afternoon..and this is what I came up with.

Initial whiff from bottle: It's all limes...bracing limes...maybe lemons too??? I get the tinge of mint in the back and for a quick second this sort of reminds me of lemon cough drops??? Or maybe lemon zinger tea??? Lemon mint tea?? Hmm...I am not getting the coconut at all here..hmmm...

If I close my eyes and think about stars might smell like..the whiff I am getting from the bottle seems appropriate. White heat...glowing steadily...in a positive and loving way..it kind of works actually..but I am a bit apprehensive on how this will translate on my skin. Some other reviewers said this was similar in feel to Spooky and well..that didn't go as well as I had hoped.

Applied wet on skin: It's the big lime/lemon tidal wave in the first 5 to 10 seconds...really bracing...and that's all I am getting..along with the wisp of mint in the back. I can almost feel the mint..almost register a cold minty-ness on my wrists where I applied and in the back of my throat when I whiff deeply.

Minute later: Lime/lemon combo is softening..and I am finally getting some of that coconut..but on me it's not the fresh unsweetened kind..it's the same sweetened coconut in Spooky...which at this point isn't a bad thing. The mint again is wwwayyy in the back..still a touch but making it's presence known. It's a softly pulsating fragrance right now..as if, in my opinion..it was mimicking starlight.

Five to ten minutes later: Surprisingly..the lime is still in the forefront..but the mint has died off and it's all sweet coconut and lime combo. Really sweet coconut on me.

Throughout the course of the afternoon I kept getting whiffs of me..first from straight off my wrist and other pulse points and then just the soft wafts from me in general. What was coming from me straight off my skin was the lime and super sweet coconut..which at times veered really close to being somewhat chalky/plastic/stale on me. This was the problem I had with Spooky but the overall haze of fragrance I picked up when not sniffing directly from my skin was one of just gentle lime/coconut. The whole idea of this fragrance is wonderful..it seems to fit the card well..I just wished it translated better on me. I like it..but I don't love it..at least at this stage.

I do see a smilarity between this and BBW Coconut/Lime body spray...which I do own and enjoy..but somehow the coconut in that blend was less sweet on me.

I might try layering the two... :P

I don't get key lime pie from this either...

Drydown: I am surprisd that the lime component lasted so long on me..but it's still there..albeit softened with the sweet cocount...wow.

Lasting power was impressive...10+hours on me and the throw was soft. My friend who I took for his birthday this afternoon/evening has a really sensitive nose..most of the fragrances I wear he cannot stand and he didn't mention anything to me about this one..so I have to assume it wasn't aggressive at all.

Bottom Line:The Star is a fragrance that represents itself pretty accurately. While wearing this I felt a lightness and radiance that felt comforting..and I enjoyed that very much. Realistically speaking though..the way the actual fragrance translated on my skin....am not sure it would be something I would reach for. The coconut note again is a bit wonky on me in this blend..a bit too sweet at times..but I can see why many people would favor it for summer..it kind of lends itself well to that season. Right now I am keeping the bottle..and will try it again at some point this winter with the BBW but as far as coconut scents go..Snow White still reigns supreme for me.

I was going through my oils looking to thin the herd, as it were, and started looking at my 10ml bottles, and there was The Star. Had not sniffed it lately, so I opened it up, took a big whiff, and Yeech, plastic vs.Theraflu. Getting ready to put it in the sell section, I thought to just put a little on my arm, from the lid, just to be sure.

It's been 2 hours, and I can't quit sniffing! WOW, what a change. It's Key Lime-y, creamy, coconutty, I don't smell any of the mint I see that others have smelled, but maybe I missed that part. And it doesn't seem to be fading a bit. I want to drink my arm. If I close my eyes I'm in the Sea of Cortez, off the coast of San Felipe, the sky is Azure Blue, the water is warm, and I can hear the gulls screeching and the waves gently hitting the beach, the local fishermen coming in with their catch of the morning, laughter and sounds of bartering for fresh caught seafood, the flip of a fin moving the water close to where I float.

Ahhhhhhhhhh..........life is good. :P

Yep, it's a keeper....

In imp: faint minty coconut.

On me: At first, BLEARGH! Evil death mint. I'd heard coconut-lime and was so hopeful. But no. Death-mint. With some citrus at the back somehow making it worse. It's very...bracing. Thematically this isn't a star so much as a really really bright fluorescent light. Blinding yet cold. As it dries, I become surrounded by this aura of sweet coconut, and close-up there's that bracing mint but the evil note dies down. There's more lime coming out now. Dry, I kind of like it. But it's nowhere near a favorite and the mint phase is just deadly. I could see this being a really good image of that sweet hope and purity of the star, but on me it just doesn't work. At least it's a popular one, so it'll find a good home quickly.

Well, I don't if I can add much more to the previous reviews, but I shall put in my two cents anyway. Smells like an aromatherapy blend that you get at health food stores, very herbal and astringent in the bottle. I smell a light minty smell, might be lemon mint, or white mint. I get lemongrass, or lemon balm as well. Drying down the cool coconutty scent comes out (I'm not sure if it actually is coconut though) and it reminds me of a margarita, a mojito, and a pina colada (all virgin of course) mixed into one mammoth drink....I don't think I can wear this, but I think it embodies the star nicely.

In the bottle and wet: LIMES. Wow. Almost a bit sharp. Just a hint of coconut in the background.

Drying: The limes begin to calm down and a wonderful coconut comes out. Not foody, but not too sweet. Very nice.

Dry down: The lime almost completely disappears and out comes this beautiful blend of coconut and warm vanilla.

This is a keeper and I can't wait to get a big bottle. This is definately a scent to wear when I need a pick me up. It is such a happy scent. Makes me feel very optimistic. :P

Edited by Femme_Fatale

Definitely citrus -- there's some squishy lime in there and I think a little bit of lemon. It also has kind of a Fruit Loops scent, so I think there's some coconut in it too. I like this scent, it's just that it smells like cereal to me.

In the imp: oh my word that's sweet and soft and pleasant - a rich coconut with lime and a hint of mint.

On me, wet: coconut and citrus and sweet mintiness and another sweet fruit in here - pineapple?

On me, dry: lime! coconut! mint! pineapple! Like Spooky with bright citrus instead of chocolate - the same coconut-mint combination, I think.

Verdict: Teetering on being sweeter and sharper than I'd like, but I can't stop sniffing my wrist - I think it's a keeper.

That is strange. I can’t say exactly what I’m smelling, but it’s a blend of spice and citrus that I can’t remember ever smelling before. (The elements seem familiar -- the result, unfamiliar.) It’s not a prickly spice, but a warm, soft buzz. Immediate reaction: I don’t like it. This is too peculiar for me.

As the buzzy spice fades, this grows on me a bit. Without a notes list, I find it hard to determine what spice I’m smelling, even though it seems so familiar. Took a re-sniff of the wand, and then wandered off to the spice cabinet. Did some comparision checking in the cabinet, and it seems to be cinnamon. Why was that so hard for me to place?

Resorting to the forums, I see people are citing coconut and lime. The citrus doesn’t seem precisely lime to me -- there is lime, yes, but it’s a citrus blend, and it seems a bit more exotic than just lemon-lime. No one seems to be getting that funny spice reaction.

The spice has faded out, and I’m getting something creamy under the citrus now, after enough time to sort through three pages of forum reviews. Although people are citing coconut left and right, I don’t really think it’s coconut; it’s just creamy and smooth.

The citrus starts fading out, and the cinnamon comes back. I suppose there might be a trace of coconuttiness about the smell, now, but it isn’t pina-colada coconut, it’s just a trace of coconut milk.among a wider white creamy scent, and there’s still a light sprinkling of cinnamon.

After the initial cinnamon-citrus blast fades, I found this kind of nice, though I’m still not sure I’ll reach for the imp with any speed.

In the bottle:

Mint, a bit of lemon and a bit of coconut.

On skin wet:

Very, very lemony, with a hint of coconut. The lemon overpowers everything, and I'm not sure I like it. There's no mint anymore.

Dried down:

Oh, that's more like it! It dries down to a gorgeous coconut with a hint of lemon. No mint, which makes me sad, because I love mint.

In the imp: Coconut and a caramel varnish.

On Skin: Coconut lime cookies! This is what I had hoped Mr. Nancy to smell like

On Drydown: Slightly creamy, with a hint of cinnamon, the lime and coconut aren't as predominant.

Verdict: Pretty and gooey. Very foody. I'm glad I got to try this but I'm not sure that this is my cup of tea.

The Star was such a disappointment to me I wanted to cry. I've always wanted to try this from reading all the good reviews and I finally bought a bottle just before they discontinued the line. Sadly, this did not work for me at all.

All I could smell was cooked coconut milk. Not sweet at all. It smelled like food. Not foody in a baked good way, but literally like someone just cooked dinner using coconut milk. And overwhelmingly so. I don't like foody smells, so it's a no for me. This stayed pretty much the same the whole time I had it on. I could smell a little bit of the lime come through and I wish it was more prominent. No sweetness, just an herbal coconut milk smell. On the upside, it has really good staying power. It lasted on me for hours and has pretty good sillage. Perhaps a little bit to much as my sister was telling me to keep my arm away from her general vicinity. :P

Maybe I need to let it sit for a while, I may try this again later on.

Oh no, I think I really like this... :P

I'm surprised I like it so much, considering foody scents aren't really my thing, and this is kinda foody. But it's just so unusual - and my problem with foody scents is that they're just so common, I mean, if I want to smell a cookie I could just make some, right? :D But this is a very unique scent.

The minty cold hits you first, then the creamy coconut underneath, almost buttery. I'm smelling just a touch of something floral, I think? I didn't smell the citrus that other people were getting the first time I tested it, but after that it came out fairly strongly - a lemon-lime blend, I'm guessing. (One moment I'll be sure it's lime, the next I'll be sure it's lemon.) It's lightly sweet, but not too sweet - no sticky sugary-ness from this. It's so fresh and cool it makes a wonderful summer scent.

This is really lovely, and oddly comforting. And... And now I can't get anymore... :D

In the imp: Woah strong, high pitched & screaming notes!

Wet on skin: LIME & MINT. Zing! This is very sharp and energising if you know what I mean. It really wakes you up.

Dry on skin: Lime & mint have stopped being loud as hell and have stepped back a little and blended with what is now definately creamy coconut rounding this off nicely.

Overall: I do like this & if it were GC I think I would probably get a 5ml but it seems like it's quite rare now.

In the imp: cocoanut and lime

Wet: LIME with a bit of ozone. As it dries down, I'm catching a whiff of something more conventionally citrus, vaguely lemony. I'm not sure if I'm getting mint or not, as lime often morphs into something minty on my skin, so it could just be the lime doing its thing.

Dry: The cocoanut has come back, lurking in the background, but the major note is a cold note, with ozonic lime dominating. Just a hinting of something vaguely creamy in the background, that grounds it just slightly. Very pretty, very cold and bright.

First smell from the bottle I had to pull it away from my nose...a little strong! However, I didn't smell as deep the second time and it smells like vanilla-y coconut! Sweet smelling and kinda foody. It's a light scent and smooth. Probably a little too creamy smelling for me though. Be looking out for my swaps page!

The Star was such a disappointment to me I wanted to cry. I've always wanted to try this from reading all the good reviews and I finally bought a bottle just before they discontinued the line. Sadly, this did not work for me at all.

All I could smell was cooked coconut milk. Not sweet at all. It smelled like food. Not foody in a baked good way, but literally like someone just cooked dinner using coconut milk. And overwhelmingly so. I don't like foody smells, so it's a no for me. This stayed pretty much the same the whole time I had it on. I could smell a little bit of the lime come through and I wish it was more prominent. No sweetness, just an herbal coconut milk smell. On the upside, it has really good staying power. It lasted on me for hours and has pretty good sillage. Perhaps a little bit to much as my sister was telling me to keep my arm away from her general vicinity. :D

Maybe I need to let it sit for a while, I may try this again later on.

I had the same experience! I got this as a frimp from Pika :P .

The Star smelled like toasted/burnt coconut meat splashed with over-warm milk, all charred and reeking of that off scent that heated milk or fat has. I never even caught a whiff of lime.

I might be a little off on the "100% icky coconut" notion, though, since I avoided smelling it too much while it was on - it slightly nauseated me, but that's due to the unfortunate association I have of sickness with toasted coconut (the worse flu I've ever had manifested right after eating some coconut shrimp...Needless to say, I can't bear the smell of them anymore.)

(edit b/c i mixed up who it was who sent me this)

Edited by MissMercurial

This was a full blast of lemon cleaning fluid when I opened it up, with a little hint of Snake Oil lurking underneath. Which is weird, because I don't think it has any Snake Oil in it! And I love that lemony cleaning fluid smell. Put me in a room with permanent magic markers, gasoline and lemon cleaner and I'll be happy. High as a kite and killing my brain cells, but happy!

On, I smell a little bit of Snow White coconut and the lemon blast fades to just a cheerful lemon. I love this! I shall now commence the lurking for a bottle.