Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Jabberwocky

An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange.

This was a freebie and not something I would have picked from the description. It is better than I would have imagined, but it still smells like cough drops at Christmas. Not OMG awful, being lighter and gentler than I'd imagined, but nothing I'm likely to wear.

In bottle: Smells exactly like rosemary. Exactly.

Wet: Really strong piney scent, with bits of eucalyptus peaking through.

Initial Drydown: The orange starts to kick in, and the eucalyptus disappears.

Dry: It’s way sweeter than I was expecting – mostly I think I smell sweet orange zest mixed in with some pine needles. It’s interesting. It’s more like pine resin than actual pine, when I think about it. That might be why it seems so sweet on me.

Throw: fairly strong, but they always seem strong on a first test.

Overall: meh. I’ll see if the boy likes it – I did get it for him…

Ahahah. It would appear that I amp eucalyptus. Oh my, yes.

Piney menthol... mentholly pine. There is a VERY occasional hint of orange, but the poor thing stands little chance and is soon put back in its place by the eucalyptus. If ever there was to be an Enraged Koala Musk, this would be very close to the final product, I think.

I don't dislike this. FAR from it. However, I doubt it'll be getting much general wear. But I WILL keep the bottle (I got it on an eBay auction as part of a group of 5mls where I was particularly after two of the others in the group). I have a feeling this will prove very useful for the upcoming unavoidable winter colds. And I think it'll make a really lovely room scent.

So yes. I do like this, perhaps even more than I realise myself.

Today i received my first batch of BPAL goodies. This was one of six imp's ears i ordered, and the first i've tried out.

In the bottle: smells nice to me. I get a lot of eucalyptus and orange, with just a little pine in the background.

On me, wet: the eucalyptus vanishes almost instantly. The orange smell seems to grow-- it's so big and juicy that i momentarily fight the urge to gnaw on my wrist.

On me, dry: as quickly as the sweet orange came, it went away. Sadness. What's left is still pleasant, though. Finally, i can smell the pine. It also smells a bit cedar-y now. It's rich and foresty, but not overwhelming.

It's been about four hours since i applied it, and i'm pleased to report that the scent is still as strong as it was initially.

Overall, i like it a lot, though i'm sad that the orange smell disappeared. It seems to work nicely on me. I'd consider buying a bottle of it.

In the Imp (wet): A shockingly fresh scent. Reminds me of walking through a forest after a good long rain.

On me: It's a dizzy combination of freshness. The pine is strong, but tamed by the subtleness of the orange, whose tartyness controlled by the fullness of eucalyptus, whose detergent overwhelm-iness was subdued by the pine. It's probably not something I'd wear on a daily basis, but it'll be good for a pick-me-up.

Weird! I can smell the fresh pine, and the citrus/eucalyptus is in the background and hardly noticeable to me.

Makes me think of pine-scented candles around the holidays, or a Christmas tree.

Not bad for aromatherapy, not great as a wearable perfume on me.

imp: orange with... orange. there is just the faintest hint of pine as an after thought here.

wet: the eucalyptus comes out strong but the orangey-pine scent is still there as well. this is a quite unusual scent, though quite nice.

dry: this fades to a sweetish pine. no hint of orange or eucalyptus remain. oh well.

In imp and wet on arm, the piney eucalyptus is instantly noticeable--but the orange softens it, making a really neat blend. I never would have picked this one based on the notes. but it is very nice! I could go for a bottle someday.

Jabberwocky is a good scent for when you have the sniffles (as I currently do).

In bottle and Wet - pine, eucalyptus, and orange. This is the first scent where I've been able to smell all the listed notes in the bottle and while wet on my skin.

Drydown - pretty much the same, though the orange is fading to a more general citrus. Also, the eucalyptus fades. I'm wearing it in a scent locket as well and the eucalyptus is still pretty strong.

Actually, on my skin, this smells an awful lot like Old Moon and The Jersey Devil. Nice, but since I already have a bottle of Old Moon and one of the Jersey Devil on the way, I don't need another scent this similar.

Forget about Slobbering Pine - I've got a new love now!

Pine is the strongest note in this for me, sharpened at first by eucalyptus and just slightly sweetened by orange. It dries down to a deep dark green forest scent, a close cousin to Black Forest, I think. Really very good indeed for those of us who love forest scents!

Expectations: Fresh and clean, maybe a bit too strong.

In vial: Pine, with a tiny bit of sweetness.

On skin, wet: Cat pee? Ew.

On skin, dry: Heavy on the orange, with pine in the background. I don't really smell eucalyptus, but I imagine it blending so well with the other notes that I might not identify it.

After time: Mostly pine now, with a hint of orange. I applied this very lightly, but have a feeling it would remind me negatively of PineSol if I put on more.

Conclusion: This is a really nice blend. Not something I'd wear as perfume, but it would make a great room scent or I might use it as one of my bedtime scents.

Jabberwocky started out with a blast of orange and a hint of cool pine, but I think my skin ate the orange.

5 minutes in: Pine trees with the merest smidgin of orange. Ack, this is really strong and almost masculine.

A little later: The pine has settled down a LOT and sweetened up a bit, but I still don't think this is for me.

If you like pine, you should be ALL OVER Jabberwocky!

In Vial: Whoa! strong pine

Wet. This is quite astringent. Smells just like vicks vapor rub.

Later: Fades to a very light pine scent, almost indistinguishable.

Not having read any of the ingredients, I had no idea what to expect. Interestingly enough, I did not get pine or eucalyptus or orange either in the imp or wet. I got pineapple lifesavers. It wasn't until it dried that I can detect pine. And I think I like it much. It's a little sweet and I do get a touch of menthol. But this is nice.

Jabberwocky-

In Bottle: Pine. Quite pretty pine!

Wet: Ooh, here comes the tea tree oil! Doesn't go right up my nose, though, it tames down quickly.

Dry: Not bad at all! There's a sweetness to this upon the dry-down, perhaps a bit citrusy, or more pomegranatey. I like the contrast between the wet eye-opener of it and the sweet fruity dry-down, with an evergreen cast over the whole thing.

Overall: Nice! If you like pine scents, do try!

Imp: PINE. Reminds me of those little pine tree car air fresheners.

Wet: The pine is the most pronounced scent. Where's the eucalyptus and orange?

Dry: The pine settles in the background enough for me to detect the orange.

Overall: I wanted to like this scent but apparently pine smells good anywhere except on my skin. Might be better off as a room scent.

In the imp: PINE

Wet: PINE. Pine like Christmas trees and fresh-cut evergreen boughs to be made into wreaths, and newly-grown brighter green pine bits on the ends of evergreens in the springtime. Depending on the blend, I think I tend to amp pine, and this was very vibrant and strong and up your nose and in your face.

Drydown: the eucalyptus starts to skulk around. I was unsure about how I felt about eucalyptus, my main experience with it being 1. the stuff that koala bears eat, especially on that show that used to be on Nickelodeon with the little girl who had two stuffed koalas that turned into real koalas and ate eucalyptus from the tree outside her window and 2. the eucalyptus branches that my grandmother kept in her car prior to the one she owns now. Stale eucalyptus + stale car smell = bad eucalyptus associations, and unfortunately, that's kind of the smell that came forward on my skin. The orange, notably, was absent, which is interesting, considering what my chemistry has done to lemon and to lime just recently.

In the imp: Straightforward and bright. Immediately thought of that 'tulgey wood.' The eucalyptus and pine are quite strong.

Wet: Still bright and strong. Orange starts to come out underneath.

Drydown: Burns my skin, turns it red. Yuh-oh. I have handled eucalyptus on my skin before, so that would be the pine oil.

Later: I still love smelling this in the imp, so would like to try it in a scent locket.

On me this is all pine, all the time. It's a lovely sweeter, softer pine. I can barely detect the ecalyptus, but it gives it just a touch of a more medicinal feel. As far as orange, I'm not smelling any here, but I do think it adds to the light, bouyant quality that this has. Fresh, light and bright sums up this blend pretty well.

Edited by lilacea

Hmm, I am not much of a piney person. To me, this smells like a Christmas tree that has one of those orange pomaders nearby. Or maybe one of those liquid potpourri that you put in one of those simmer pots for "Winter Wonderland" smell. Think I will have to pass.

In The Bottle

Yep. Pine, eucalyptus and orange, alright. Fresh and cool.

On Application

Pine which initially smells really funky (sorry, that's the best way I can describe it - dirty socks or something!)

Dry Down

Green and fresh and still a little odd. I am so not sure about this one. My initial reaction is to dismiss it but will try again and see if anything changes.

Rating (0-5)

A frimp from the lab, a psychic one I guess. I would never ever picked up this one on purpose, but it turned to be a refreshing menthol-pine sinus opening blend, sweetened by the orange, a note I lurve so much. I don`y know why, but every time I put it the image of smoked salmon with freshly squeezed lemon juice appear in my mind, amazing considered I`m vegetarian :P . Guys, give it one more try if you didn`t like it at first! For salmon`s sake! a must for sever cold case!

In the bottle: Pale yellow oil.Fresh, delicious pine with a faint hint of eucalyptus and the promise of tangy citrus.

Wet: Very strong, fresh pine and eucalyptus, with only a faint background of citrus. Offers a nice cooling sensation on the skin.

After a few minutes on skin: Orange starting to assert itself over the pine, fresh and mouthwatering, like someone has just started eating fresh oranges right in front of me in the middle of a pine forest. The orange and the pine seem to be clashing a little now. Overall it's not unpleasant, but strange and exciting.

After first hour: The orange and pine have harmonized nicely, but I'm not entirely sure if I like the combination as much as I would have liked pine combined with another citrus aroma, perhaps lime or lemon. The orange to me doesn't smell as fresh and clean and bright as those two would have, it's sort of sour and a bit stuffy.

After two and a half hours: The pine has stabilized and the orange has faded somewhat. This is mild and pleasant.

After 5 hours: Very faint orange and pine.

Final Verdict: It's sort of pretty, but the orange adds a certain sour bittersweetness to the pine that I don't really think I like.