Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Jabberwocky

An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange.

Hrm...orange is really the only note I like in this when I read the description. In the imp, this is totally a pine/eucalyptus scent. Yep. Pretty much spot on.

Oof-very sweet and sappy on my skin-like pine sap, pine, and eucalyptus. Still don't really notice the orange. Maybe just a touch. Definitely sweet sticky sap in there. I feel like you should rub this blend on your chest when you have a cold or something.

That fizzy/menthol-y feeling goes away on full drydown and I get sort of a soft pine scent. Kinda lose the eucalyptus as well. I'll be honest, I never would have known there was orange in this blend without seeing the description. However, if you like pine and eucalyptus, this is worth checking out.

In vial: Fresh, the eucalyptus is very prominent.

Wet on skin: There is a definite burst of pine in there... As it melds with the eucalyptus I am getting the distinct smell of wood chips. You know, the ones you use as bedding in a hamster cage.

Dry: Smells like a pet shop on me. :( That could go along with the Jabberwocky being a wild beast and all... I guess...

Verdict: I refuse to be hamster girl! Pass.

Edited by anyseka

Waaaaaaaaah another one that is fantastic and I love!!!!

So fresh and woodsy, wait, hold on, it's Christmas! In the summer! I am so thrilled, love this.

Oh my God, this scent is so weird! When I put it on, there's a weird earthy/nutty smell with a backdrop of PINE TREES. Not just happy, mountain side, picturesque pine trees, but the kind that SLAP YOU IN THE FACE WITH 1,000 NEEDLES.

I'm okay with it, but it's kind of jarring. I keep hoping to find that orange or eucalyptus scent in there, somewhere. I know it's there, because I can taste something akin to spearmint in the back of my mouth, but ... frumiousbandersnach! PINE!

It shifts and morphs, too. It really cracks me up. Maybe I'm just going crazy. I'll definitely give it another couple of tries before I make a verdict.

Edited by virusq

What an interesting mix of notes! I'm not huge on eucalyptus; any menthol-y things just don't scream perfume, or "I want to smell like that!" to me.

In Imp: WOW! Super strong eucalyptus and pine-- just as described by the lovely reviewers before me. :lol: Something about it reminds me of kitty litter. I must be thinking of the pine... :P Fresh step, anyone? I can BARELY detect some citrus.... barely.

Wet: Hello, orange, we were wondering where you were! Honestly, it gets quite a bit sweeter on my skin. It is quite energizing, I've got to agree with other reviewers.

Drydown: It's really not so terrifying as I thought it'd be. It's an extreme piney orange on me with the tinge of eucalyptus that stings your nose (I talk to my dogs too much; I almost typed "nizz," which is my dog's word for "nose.") As it continues to dry, it gets even more piney. It doesn't last terribly long; by the time I'd reviewed a couple other scents and gone back to this, it's faded quite a bit.

Verdict: I'm intruiged. I'm not sure this is a scent I'd go to often, but it might be worth another try or two. I'll hold onto it for now and give it another couple test runs.

This was a freebie from the lab...I probably wouldn't have ordered it otherwise, but I love it. It's fresh and invigorating and very, very green.

Wet: Almost overpowering pine with a hint of eucalyptus and no sign of the orange

Dry: The pine has calmed down and allowed the eucalyptus to come out a bit more. The two are blending perfectly into something very bright and green and slightly sweet. I smell like I've been walking through the woods all day. :) Still no sign of the orange

Throw:Average

Staying Power: Average

My husband(a tree climber) laughed when he smelled me and said he should be the one smelling like trees. :lol: I'll have to try this on him.

Still no sign of the orange. Oh well, I love this anyway. It would be good to wear during winter and Yule/Christmas time. It reminds me of days when the power is out and I sit knitting in front of a hot fire with a warm kitty on my lap and a pile of wood at my feet. Heaven.

In the vial: Vick's Vapo-Rub :eek: ..I had trouble forcing myself to put this on my wrist!

On skin: Wow, my sinuses are clearing up like mad! In a few more minutes it mellows to more of a pine/orange scent.

No, no, must go wash off NOW. I could handle the eucalyptus better than the later stage of orange and pine tree. The smell is making me slightly queasy now. Gah.

::: JABBERWOCKY :::

A Carrollian cuddle-beastie personified by BPAL! Yippee! Though a fanged and fiery ferocity, there is more predator than prey when it comes to the thrill of the chase… The poor thing wouldn’t stand a chance in the face the rabid desire to be gazed upon, stroked, and cuddled against the neck whilst being addressed in a perfectly ridiculous sing-song baby voice. The dignity of the whole bloody affair would be immortalized in the glittering beauty as translated by The Lab.

The formula seems deceptively simple; a humble holy trinity of tantalization, a bright and bonny bouquet of blazing brass knuckles. Rest assured, there is no such thing as simple in the Wonderland that is BPAL. At worst, this won’t be harmonious with everyone’s body chemistry and snarky comments will ensue, but there’s always room of the Society of Snide in the cheap seats. Days are more than just sunshiny when one starts off with stunning smells. A day can be a quivering kiss cart-wheeling inside a Catherine-wheel!

From the Imp: Ok… Took WAY too big of a whiff from point-blank range and the result was an almost Antarctic implosion of every last sinus cavity. This is some seriously magnified Menthol. Do not picture a cute Koala chewing a delicate gobful of a long, green leaf. Picture a slightly deranged giantess denuding Australian acreage in a giggling attempt at creating a dainty nosegay for her love… you. She is the sensitive type, so it isn’t long before she picks up on your dismay. In an effort to remedy your disquiet, she has taken a quick jaunt to the wilds of Alaska and snatched up an armload of evergreen forest along with a couple of polar bears, squalling in terror, for good measure. Oh, and by the way, here’s an Orange.

This is really good stuff at the beginning, however manly. Jabberwocky is swear-words, fire-water, and spark-spitting cutlery. Jabberwocky is affectionate in a lumberjackian kind of way. This probably wouldn’t suit the purposes of a person trying to generate a mysterious and subtle kind of atmospheric. Jabberwocky would probably be more adept at quieting down the ambient conversational buzz and drawing everybody’s eyes the way that a neodymium magnet draws a few dozen ball bearings across the top of a coffee table. This has got a come-hither wither.

On the Skin: Jabberwocky maintains a manly and medicinal air; continues with the whole bracing and assertive number. The Eucalyptus appears to have either evaporated or been assimilated almost completely by the skin. It’s still there in the background, but has waxed camera-shy in the awe inspiring presence of the Orange and Pine… Jabberwocky seems almost Christmasy at first. Were there a bit more spice incorporated into this ( Cloves or Cinnamon, say) it would blend right in with some of the other Yules; complete with a shiny red ribbon wrapped ‘round its neck.

The more that Jabberwocky wears, the more it seems like it is ideally suited for pairing nicely with Macassar and moustache wax. Tally-ho! The spirit of adventure still lives, looming large. Jabberwocky is valiant, gallant, and thrumming with talent. Believe in the beastie!

Jabberwocky is car crashes, crazy-eyed king fu, saddle-sores, sweat, stubble, and lightning-rod lip-gloss. Jabberwocky could be worn with ease by Him or Her, but seems much more at home in the world of walking-sticks and fisticuffs.

Jabberwocky is jolly-good stuff! 4 out of 5 for Jabberwocky

Strong eucalyptus at first, and is it ever god-awful on me. Strong, and I slathered too. Not getting any orange, but there is some pine in the background. The eucalyptus sticks around for a couple of hours, and I smell like I've o'd'd on Halls, and then dries to fungus. This is terrible on me, I've no wish to put it on ever again.

I really like this. I don't get a ton of eucalyptus, and it took me a while to put my finger on what the Christmassy smell was in this, but I figured it out. Sweet balsam. I think the pine and orange are combining to make a balsam scent, because this is exactly like that, but with even more orange. Seems perfect for December, but I'm going to see if I can get away with it the rest of the year. Definite keeper. Might even try for a bottle at some point, which for me is a big deal.

This starts as a sharp single note of pine that is very evocative of Christmas. As it dries, the pine softens and the eucalyptus comes forth to give the pine more of an airy quality. It is soft, sweet, and clean. Refreshing.

7.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

Imp: PINE. And a bright cleaner-y ORANGE.

Wet: PINE PINE PINE eucalyptus ORANGE ORANGE PINE PINE PINE perfumey orange EUCALYPTUS PINE.

Dry: This is a surprisingly sharp and perfume-y pine and orange scent. Not something I'd wear (I like Nero a lot more) but I might dump it into some vinegar and make a lovely scented cleaning spray!

In the Imp (ITI): I was expecting more of a nasal assault, but instead the notes are subdued and muddled with orange and slightly astringent green.

Wet: Ah, fresh eucalyptus and pine. I can't get any orange, but that's okay!

Dry: Still eucalyptus and pine. No orange, but I love it nonetheless. I will certainly be adding Jabberwocky to my "to buy" list.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not overtly fond of the "pine scent"- to me, most of the time it's just super artificial, and ick.

This however, actually smells like a pine tree! Shocking, yes, I know.

In the bottle: Pine, lots and lots of pine. Faint orange, but it's more like orange rind than anything else.

Wet: Eucalyptus and Pine. So NICE! No orange, though.

Drydown: Eucalyptus, pine and orange- Whoohoo! You can pick out every not individually, but they meld beautifully. The orange does go slightly soapy on me, but it just adds to the yummy-ness. Pine is defiantly low man on the list though. :cry2: He was so special. High throw. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this could go horribly wrong on some peoples skin. He's a keeper, but not an everyday scent for me.

Certainly one of those scents that would be lovely on both genders! :yum:

4/5

ETA: Haha, spelling is not my thing today!

Edited by sisi33

I love the scent of this for the first few minutes. It's a very realistic pine scent, like you've just picked up a handful of pine needles and bruised them. I get very little orange out of this but I think it's what is adding an interesting feel to it.

If it kept that initial pine note and lasted more than 10 minutes on my skin, I would buy this. Alas, it's pretty much gone.

I don't even get the faintest hint of orange. All pine and eucalyptus on me. I would think of this as a Yule scent actually - I think it fits right in with the theme! It's not really something I can see myself wearing though.

Hm. I feel a little conflicted about Jabberwocky. In the imp and wet, it is straight-up pine – I actually had a sudden flashback to being a kid and having my head surrounded by Christmas tree branches when I crawled under it to re-fill the stand when I put it on, that's how piney it was. For a moment, eucalyptus and orange came out in an almost-soapy way, but then it turned into mostly eucalyptus and pine. And stayed that way. A few hours after application, the scent has calmed, and the orange is showing a bit more, but still definitely secondary. The scent did have a certain charm to it, but it's very... distinctive and robust in a not-quite-always-me way. I don't think I'd buy a bottle, but I will probably eventually use up my imp, and enjoy it.

Hi. I'm a pine tree. Don't you wish you could smell like me? Did I mention I'm a giant, demonic pine tree that's going to destroy not only the other notes in the blend but slowly creep up and wipe up any other scent in the room?

How about waking you up? Didn't I warn you that I was going to wake you up in the middle of the night?

...Yep STRONG single note pine. As much as I love pine this proves to me I never need a SN.

My first impression of this was PINE PINE PINE. It wasn't overly unpleasant like Pine-sol, but not great either. Luckily the pine has died down within the first few minutes or so! Now the eucalyptus has come out to play and it's a very quiet, but still energizing green scent. I'll probably end up keeping this one, I can see it getting a lot of use in the summer months!

Given the notes in this scent I wasn't sure I was going to like this but. as with many frimps, I am pleasantly surprised.

In the imp: Eucalyptus and Pine! That'll clear out the old nostrils.

Wet: Pine is STRONG. That's okay because I love pine.

Dry: Oh, this is very nice. The eucalyptus and pine are present but toned down and mint comes out to tease me. Underneath is a slightly sweet, powdery scent. I don't usually like when a scent goes powdery on me but with the other notes in this perfume it works beautifully. This would be a nice scent for a warm, spring day. Fresh, crisp, and powdery all at the same time. I'd give this a 4 on a scale of 1-5.

Received an imp of this as lagniappe in a swap or purchase, can't recall which (have been doing a bit of swapping and purchasing of late ... must stop the purchasing and get more onto the swapping until I get Gainful Employment).

I admit, I would NEVER have bought or chosen this based on the notes (specifically the orange, which tends to remind me of Triaminic syrup). But soldiering on with my project to test drive every single scent I have, from A-Z, today was the day for my lone J.

IN THE IMP: Amazed how much I like this right off the bat! A bright blast of pine and eucalyptus with the fresh hard cold scent. Not picking up any orange.

Got daring and dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: Wow. WOW. I really, really, REALLY like this a whole lot!!! I am not getting any PineSol or any of the "cleanser" vibes of the pine and eucalyptus, and the orange is very subtle and more like orange peel used in mulled cider or something ... basically, to me this is a GREAT Christmas tree-type of scent (and I have spent too much money buying blends trying to find a real Christmas tree scent over the years).

DRYDOWN: The orange rises just enough to make this more of a Christmas tree pot-pourri or candle, but not a cheap crappy one ... a good one. It evaporates pretty much on my wrist but the crook of my arm retains it better (I find, in order, that wrist-crook-cleavage will keep a scent in that order based, I guess, on the amount of moisture). The drydown is really clean and fresh and bracing.

OVERALL: I am so glad to have gotten this, because as I said it's not something I ever would have chosen for myself but it's definitely a keeper. It's so interesting that there are people who see it as a fresh, spring/summer scent whereas for me, definitely a winter scent, more because the scent memories/associations are so strong.

On a scale of 1-5, a good keeper 4.

Intense pine and orange with a bit of eucalyptus floating in the background. A bit simple for my tastes - the notes stood very much alone, and I prefer really well-blended things - but pleasant and clean. Reminds me a lot of my best friend's house from middle-school since they cleaned with natural things. I don't know if I'd wear it, but it would make a nice scent to diffuse.

Ok, I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about trying this one. Pine and other drier wood smells have not been too friendly to my skin, and while I like eucalyptus, it can get overwhelming. Well, here goes.

In the imp: My first hit when I open the imp is a lovely orange touched my eucalyptus. When I sniff closer, though, I get a strong hit of the pine.

Wet on skin: Ok, this is actually very well blended at the moment. I get the pine, but it's a darker undertone to the eucalyptus and orange, and neither of those overtake the other too much.

Dried down: After drying down, the pine takes over more strongly. It's still complemented by the orange, but the eucalyptus is barely there. I can't even pick it up in a wrist sniff. I didn't want it taking over, but I miss the eucalyptus. I didn't want this to be all pine on me, either.

Throw: This has a bit of throw, but it's all pine on me. I don't really get the orange unless I sniff my wrists.

Verdict: *** 1/* I don't think I needed to be nervous about this one, but I don't know if it's for me yet. It's definitely not a bad smell, but pine is not the note I want lasting the longest on my skin. People say this one can change depending on when you apply it, so I might try it again before sticking it in the swap pile.

I was wary at first, because in the imp this smelled mostly like Pine-Sol.

Luckily, I like citrus and citrus seems to like me so far (knock on wood)-- most of what's left after the drydown is sweet orange. I'm not getting much eucalyptus, either, so no Vaporub for me.

However, with my body chemistry the throw is really poor; it only sticks around for an hour max. Maybe a good candidate for a room scent.

On me, Jabberwocky is straight-up fresh Christmas tree. It's a little bracing at first but it mellows out when it sinks into my skin. There's a hint of eucalyptus once it dries but I'm not getting any orange, which I'm thankful for because I think it might make it a little too astringent.