Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Jabberwocky

An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange.

In the bottle: pine like whoa!

Wet: Pine and some eucalyptus, but warmer and less aggressive.

Drydown: Orange and eucalyptus, a very strange mixture. After a while the pine creeps back through a warming haze of orange. Which, of course, ends up turning on my skin, and ending up smelling like a powder, ick. The pine and eucalyptus linger in the background, smelling nice and woody.

Overall: An invigorating, energetic blend, rather earthy and foresty too, with a nice warmth from the orange. Unfortunately the orange is nice on me for all of five minutes, then it mutates into a powdery perfumy icky scent. Edited by Meg

I'm reeeeally disappointed. The Jabberwocky is one of my favorite poems to recite, so I really wanted to love this.

When I first put it on, all I could smell was Vapo-Rub, which was kind of okay, because I have a cold (A-HA! Maybe I'll try again when I'm feeling better). When the eucalyptus died down, it smelled like a sweet-pine, which I didn't find revolting, but I don't usually want to smell so pine-y.

Oddly enough, it lasted pretty long on my skin (weird because it seems like it vanishes on most people).

I'll try it again when this cold is over. Maybe my chemistry is off, too.

JABBERWOCKY

In Bottle: Super eucalyptus

On Skin: The Jabberwocky is one of my favorite parts of Alice in Wonderland… The eucalyptus is crazy strong. Wow! Yes, I’m awake. The orange sweetens it just slightly and has a lovely citrus tone. And the pine has the sort of artficial Christmas sweet feel to it. This really isn’t a scent for me, it’s super strong and none of the notes are ones that really work on me. I see it more as a room scent, and even then used very lightly since it is so overwhelming. It has a very strong throw but short to average wearlength.

well, i ordered this one not because i thought i would wear it, but because i was intrigued by the combination of eucalyptus, pine and orange. I love all three scents individually, but just couldn't picture how they would smell together. In the end, I think this would be interesting for a guy, but not me.

the wet stage was the only one i really disliked, as it smelled like Halls cough drops on me. As it begins to dry down, though, the pine and orange catch up. For about 30 minutes, the pine is in the forefront, then I get an orangy-eucalyptus smell. I think the phases on this one are really interesting, even if it's not a scent i would want to wear. the other thing i noticed about this one is that it seemed to be 3 layered scents as opposed to a blend of the three, if that makes sense.

Edited by mtlaise

On the wand, it seems like a spiced floral, but it transmutes promptly into pine on my skin. The combination of orange and pine is a rather peculiar one. The orange is much quieter than the pine, lingering underneath instead of coming out on top. The eucalyptus is harder to detect than either one.

Pine, pine, and more pine; the pine likes me. People comment every now and then that something seems more like a room scent or an oil burner scent than a wear-me scent, and Jabberwocky strikes me that way. It’s invigorating and fresh, but it doesn’t say to me, “wear me!” Since I feel Black Forest says “wear me!”, I can’t properly explain why. I think the hint of orange reminds me of an air freshener. Alternately, it may be that this seems like a warm pine, instead of a cold pine, and I prefer a bit more chill in my pine trees.

As more time passes, all I can smell is pines. Ah, well. There are other pines I like better.

Phoof, eucalyptus. I think that first sniff cleared my sinuses. This is definitely a wake-up scent, though my Vicks Vapo-Rub first impression eventually mellows to a bright pine and eucalyptus balance. After a while, I can also detect a bit of dirt, a hint of orange still in its rind. This is bright, and brightening. I don't know if it's one I'd wear a lot, but it would certainly perk up my mornings.

Jabberwocky. Disclaimer: Eucalyptus is my favorite note, so I'm already biased towards something that has this note in it.

In the Imp - The smell is itsself. I'm disappointed that the eucalyptus note isn't more obvious. The pine and orange don't seem to mix well.

::three weeks later::

I have a bit of a cold and took a bath with Eucalyptus bath salt.

In Imp - okay, I can definitely tell that there is Eucalyptus and also pine, but the orange smells more enigmatic, but definitely a citrus.

wet on the skin - holy moly! This is a very NICE scent. The Eucalyptus and pine go together quite well and the orange has a very zesty appeal.

dry down - me and the husband agree that this scent is a very sexy and sharp almost even spicy scent without the regular spicy notes (cinn, etc...) and surprisingly feminine without the florals. Also, this scent is also sharp enough to wake me up but gentle enough not to be obnoxious about it. Keeps my energy going.

Wore it the next day, to make sure that it wasn't the Eucalyptus bath that caused it to smell so great the first day and had the same result. This is slowly moving up to the top of my list. I will at least order a second imp, if not a bottle.

woo In your face, pine and eucalyptus. This will wake you up and clear your sinuses. After a bit it settles down. It is making my mouth water a bit in a weird reaction. Odd. I didn't get the citrus until the pine and eucalyptus stepped off a bit. I doubt it would get much use from me.

Wet: pine. wood. menthol.

dry on skin: slightly sweeter pine wood menthol....wait. is it christmas?

Dry: christmas on my skin.....all tree, no tasties. this is the most convincing christmas tree scent I've ever smelled, even though I don't think that was the intention. yay for creative blends!

I don't like it on me, but oddly enough, I'm keeping this as a room scent.

This one's nice, but I don't think I can wear it. It reminds me of being ill.

The very eucalpytus-y scent of vaoprizers mixed with orange cough syrup.

It's a very medicinal smell.

JabberwockySS.jpg

After my first imp du jour went all lemon-y on me, :D I had to get another random selection for the rest of the day, and luckily for my nose, a scent as far from ti as possible came into my hand: the Jabberwock!

Let me state for the record I don't know why it is that I love all 'evergreen' scents so, but I do. I adore them. So you can just imagine how happy I was to open the imp with this gorgeous pine/eucalyptus smell wafting forth! And the slight sweet citrus smell of orange was so much better than the lemon of my first day's try.

In the imp: wonderful pine/eucalyptus with the sweetness of orange making a wonderful counterpoint. Others mentioned 'menthol' but I get no minty menthol smell whatsoever, thank goodness.

Wet on skin: a cool, mountain smell; it even makes my skin feel cooler where applied.

Dry: all the notes mellow into a really nice outdoorsy smell which just takes one away to the Great Forest in the mountains. There's not a 'snow' smell here, but one can still feel the crispness of the cold pine-scented air.

Verdict: Since I have 3 imps of this scent, I won't be buying a large bottle any time soon. But I do like this smell, especially after a few days of wearing florals. It's very refreshing.

:P

Edited by stellans

This is a very light eucalyptus, sweet lemony, orange citrus scent. There is a little spice thrown in there too. It is great in the imp and better once applied. I am still on the look out for a summer scent, and had requested this from someone on Ebay. Not this exactly, but asked for a recommendation on a light, refreshing fragrance. I have been wearing it all day, and so far, it has not disappointed me. :P

in the vial: eucalyptus and cedar

on me: cedar chips, menthol

consideration: great for sinus/head trouble not as a perfume

Useful rather than smell-worthy, I may keep it as part of my aromatherapy arsenal.

Wet: You know, I get the distinct feeling that eucalyptus and I don't really get along... in other words, ow why does this smell like cleaning fluid? I'll be brave and try it on anyway.

First on: Pine, and orange cough drops. :P

Dry: As it dries, it's not quite so, er...toilet bowl cleaner and cough drops, but I don't think it's for me at any rate. It's become a sort of creamy pine with an orange underlayer and a spike of eucaplyptus just to wake you up. I think I'll pass.

Wet: Pine!!!!!! Real trees, not Pine sol. With something sweet growing beneath it’s bows. Very, very astringent.

Dry: the eucalyptus and orange start to balance out the pine and mellow it out in a way I wouldn’t have expected. Still astringent. Not really a scent that I want to wear, although not so horrid I want to scrub it off, but it would make a great room scent so I’ll keep it for now.

Honestly, as far as the combination of notes it contains, this was probably the blend in the entire general catalog that I would have figured I was literally least likely to enjoy. The description is basically a line-up of all my worst and most disliked notes. (If leather were somehow included it would be a complete list of them.) However, I'm one of those people who gives any BPAL a chance at least once. I did save it for a day when my allergies were killing me and my sinuses needed clearing though!

I was surprised, actually. I expected to smell like a Halls cough drop and nothing but when I wore this. I even warned my boyfriend before I put some on, because I know he loves to sniff my perfume. I did smell a little like a cough drop, but it wasn't necessarily in a bad way, if that makes any sense at all. The dominant note was actually pine for me, and I smelled the eucalyptus and orange clearly, but as quieter notes. It definitely did clear my sinuses, and my boyfriend actually liked it on me, telling me I "smelled like Christmas". I agree, as almost anything with a lot of pine in it smells "seasonal" to my nose. It dried down into something quieter and almost powdery later on, which I actually liked.

This is definitely not something I would choose for everyday wear, as it's definitely not something everyone would smell and go "mmmm... what's that". I'm sure they'd probably figure I was wearing some type of orangey perfume and sucking on a cough drop. I probably wouldn't even be in the mood for it more than once in a while. However, this is something I know I'll want over allergy season. It works as well as Halls on my sinuses, but it smells infinitely better! Also, as someone upthread already said, this would make a wonderful, invigorating room scent.

Edited by glass_cat

Woah! Vicks! That shot of eucalyptus really woke me up, and helped my blocked nose. Afterwards it fades out to a nice orangey/piney scent that's soft and a little powerdery in places. I won't be getting a full bottle, but the imp I will enjoy and trust to give me that first jolt of the day when I need waking up :P

In the bottle – Gingerbread? With a citrus tang

Wet on me – Eucalyptus and honey (I smell like Lockets) with a hint of toilet cleaner (which I guess is the pine)

Dry on me – The pine/air freshener/toilet cleaner takes over on me and it’s not what I want to smell like

Overall – I’m sure with the right skin chemistry this smells great (after all in the bottle it smells like Shub-Niggurath to me), but mine is definitely not the right skin chemistry

This really makes me feel like it's cooler than it actually is outside. I'm all sticky with sweat, and yet I feel fresh. The pine is a bit strong, but I think my skin just amps it ever so slightly. The orange wafts through after some time, but mostly it's the scent of a shaded pine tree.

My rating: 3/5

Do not do this. I am an idiot. The following is the record of what you should not do, OK?

1. I got a freebie of this in a swap.

2. I consigned it to my swap-away pile and forgot about it.

3. Having forgotten why I put it on the swaps pile, I decided I would give it a second chance, and put it back on the pile of imps to test. I love the frickin' poem! Okay? I've it memorized since I was fourteen!

4. I applied some to the crook of my elbow without reading the notes.

5. I thought, Whoa, Vicks Vapo-Rub! So I came to the review thread and started reading.

6. I quickly realized that it has pine in it. PINE! I am horribly allergic to pine! THAT is why I'd put it on the swaps pile in the first place!

7. About this time, I realized that my eyes and the affected skin were burning.

8. I wiped down my whole inner arm with an alcohol wipe and took an antihistamine tablet.

9. I put Jabberwocky back on the swaps pile. I guess I forgot my vorpal sword today. :P

Moral of the story: The Lab uses REAL INGREDIENTS. There was nothing fake about that pine. If you're allergic to an ingredient and you think, "Oh, hell, I'll try (for example) Storyville even though I'm allergic to (for example) tobacco, because it's so sought-after and everybody says it's so great," DO NOT. Promise Lady Crow, all right?

Pine makes me happy. Unfortunately, my guy doesn't think it makes a flattering personal fragrance. I say whatever.

Jabberwocky is a breath of pine so fresh and sappy you can taste it at first. Mint and citrus step up quickly, and then they all blend together into happy, breezy, crisp morning-in-the-woods goodness.

I'm going to use every drop of this because dammit it makes me smile.

In the imp: Mentholy... and something that smells like fish cooked in a Chinese restaurant.

On Skin: Pine, menthol and fish served in a Chinese take out, upon application. Fortunately, whatever smells fishy disappears after a minute. Huzzah!

Drydown: Fragrant pine. I smell like a Christmas Tree.

Verdict: Not my cup of tea. The only pine that isn't overwhelming on me is Snow Bunny. I guess that's a sign to stick to SB, despite liking the smell of pine. It's just too much and too fragrant.

Jabberwocky.

.First impression

Eucalyptus, overpowering in the bottle and on the skin. Very strong, very potent menthol.

.Laters

Eucalyptus softens only slightly, letting in just a hint of very Christmas-y pine. The brute strength is dizzying, beginning to induce nausea.

.Last

Fades very reluctantly, a powerful force that lingers long after its assumed disappearance. Too strong for me. Best for wintery, cold days.

Edited by aClearInferno

I got this as a freebie and did not really expect to use it at all because of my first whiff. When I first opened it all I could smell was pure Pine-Sol, enough to make me recoil. I capped it and put it away feeling like my nostrils had been singed!

I'm not exactly sure why I gave it a second chance, but I pulled it out, held my breath, and swabbed some on.

On my skin the pine and eucalyptus faded extremely fast. It's changed from my OCD aunt's bathroom floor to a sunny orange grove with a few pines scattered around the borders, and stayed that way for the past three hours. There's not much throw to it, either, so it would be great for close settings when you don't want to overwhelm.

This is definitely a wearable pick-me-up scent; I can see myself wearing this on days when I have to go into work early or I know I'll be staying late.

jabberwocky

in the bottle fantastic! i guessed juniper and neroli when i first whiffed it. it's warm and christmassy, oddly enough. i adore this.

wet on skin it smells like cedar. and a little more cedar. amping pine. it's so fresh, though! it smells like actual evergreen resin, not fake pine-sol-y candles.

dry on skin the orange is peeking through, taking the sharpness off the pine. the only hint of eucalyptus i'm getting here is a soft sweetness.

two hours later there's the orange! spectacular. and the eucalyptus, too. it's a very pretty, almost masculine scent, very clean. love this.

Edited by Shollin