Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Jabberwocky

An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange.

In the Imp: Frimp time. I generally wouldn’t have picked this for myself because of the rather pungent notes, and it does smell potent right now. It almost has a dramatic alcohol scent behind a very green foreground.

Wet: Woohoo, lots and lots of pine! A bright scent. I’m sorry this isn’t a very flattering description (to most), but it reminds me exactly of Pinesol. And I’m feeling the power, but it’s a bit overwhelming. Very stringent and making my nose tingle. It certainly will work for anyone that wants something to keep them awake.

Dry: I have to say this is better now, it isn’t bowling me over quite as much. The citrus is more noticeable and it’s melding pretty well with the eucalyptus. Still makes me feel like I’ve been elbow-deep in the cleaner/detergent all day.

Verdict: It’s too much for me, I don’t want to feel like I just rolled across a bleached kitchen floor! A good energizer though, and interesting blend.

Rating: 1/5

My first bunch of BPAL arrived, so this is my first review.

In the Imp: On first smell, I got very strong eucalyptus. Strong enough to pull the imp away from my nose. When I brought it back to my nose, I got pine, which settled in to be the dominant scent. It is a sweet pine for me, though, not an air freshener.

Wet: Sweet pine, with a hint of eucalyptus.

Drydown: the orange peeks out, and eucalyptus fades away completely. Just a sweet piney orange, which on me, lasted about 4 hours or so before fading to the faintest pine.

This is a really bright invigorating foresty type scent. This isn't a quiet, meditative forest- it is a sharp, lively, observant, forest that is watching YOU, rather than you walking through it. I like it- maybe not for every day, but on days when I expect to be doing tedious tasks and I need it to keep me alert this works.

Jabberwocky

In the Vial: Whoa. Menthol? No, eucalyptus! *reads notes* Holy moly! I was right. That pine is really in your face, too.

Wet: Ugh. Loads and loads of eucalyptus and pine. *gag*

Drydown: As it dries, the pine seems to be slightly more prominent than the eucalyptus. Ugh. Still too much of both. Really dislike these notes.

Verdict: Pass, pass, pass. *retch*

Edited by devilot

In the IMP it’s very clean and sea/nature like, quite strong but it’s very calming! Can’t smell the orange.

On me it’s lovely!!! These pine/herby scents usually do well on my skin. On me it has a gorgeous sweetness that is coming through. Hints of mint maybe and the orange is very noticeably!!

I LOVE IT!!!!! This is the first “orange” scent I’ve tried and it does very well on my skin.

I am very happy!! I want a bottle!!!

PS I Smell like CHRISTMAS!! :lol:

Edited by Lilly

Pre-sniff: I want to love this. I really do. Earthy yet buoyant? Right up my alley. I love eucalyptus.

In the bottle: Wow that's a lot of pine! It reminds me of Nero the other imp I have with pine in it.

On the skin: Pine and eucalyptus are very strong and I'm not getting much orange. I feel like I'm traveling in a cloud of pine. It reminds me too much of cleaning products, the earthyness I expected to come in and ground the pine never came through.

This one isn't for me.

In the Imp: Evergreen, bright, fresh

Wet on Skin: Piney, citrusy, gingery

While Drying: Still a good mix of pine and citrus with a little spicy kick

After a Little While: Here is where it gets interesting... My BFF and I like to play a game where we both test the same scent, then marvel at how different it becomes (rarely would anyone guess we were wearing the same oil). On me, the base notes dominate, and I get mostly pine with just a bit of a brightening kick from the other notes. On her, the pine virtually disappears, and she is left with a delicate orange scent. Both are lovely, but oh so different. The BFF likes it, but thinks it is better on me.

Final Thoughts: Jabberwocky is energetic, but calm, and has good staying power (lingering traces remained after a shower). This imp is interfering with my other testing because it keeps demanding to be worn! I will definitely have to pick up a 5ml in the near future.

Jabberwocky earns a 4.5/5

ETA: Wow. Just re-tested my ~10 month old imp. I can pick out the animalistic, hidden beast note now like never before! It is very apparent in the imp and while wet. As it dries, the citrus overtakes it. Still a lovely piney base.

Edited by Rocza

It burbled as it came! I never would have thought to try this if I had known it has eucalyptus in it, but opening up this imp released a piney-fresh cloud of cheer, and that was that. I might be alone in this, but I love the smell of Murphey's oil soap, and this is like wearable wood cleaner! Ok, it's much better than that, but as I wore this I did wonder if other people might think I'd been slow-dancing with a mop.

Wet, it goes on a bright, clear pine lit up with sunshiny-orange citrus. This is a pine forest on a brilliant sunny day. Christmas in July. It's sharp the way fresh pine needles smell a bit sharp, but it didn't go harsh or bug-spray-ish as some green herbals do on my skin. It mellowed a bit as it dried down, and then stayed pretty much the same as it dried down. It wasn't super long lasting, but I got a solid work day out of it. Medium to light throw. The best thing about wearing this blend wasn't how much my nose appreciated it, aesthetically speaking. I've been looking for a good pine scent and this one is lovely, but Jabberwocky is not a complex scent brimming with depth and ageless beauty. What makes it special for me is how it acted as an immediate mood lifter. Smelling this made me feel like I do on the first really warm day in late March. Endorphins in a bottle.

Wet: Strong, sharp eucalyptus. Not my favorite scent.

Dry: Pine. Pure and simple and real (not fake pine like an air freshener). It reminds me of getting pine sap on my hands (which I get all the time in New England). If I lived somewhere where I wasn't surrounded by pine trees 24/7 I might like this scent, but to me it just makes me feel like I've been working out in the woods or on a Christmas tree farm and gotten sap all over me. This one will be traded. It's a beautiful scent, just not right for me.

Received as a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Piney and a bit spicy. I think I might smell a hint of orange, but it's faint.

Wet: This reminds me of Christmas tree farms where they serve hot cider. It's all fresh green evergreens and spice.

Drydown: More eucalyptus-y now. The spiciness is still pretty predominant. It smells like an orange studded with cloves.

Later: The orange is dominant when I have my wrist close to my nose, otherwise it's still pine/eucalyptus. My sinuses are feeling nice and clear. Later still, the orange seemed to disappear completely.

I really like the way this smells. BUT. I do not like it on me. A room smelling like Jabberwocky is fantastic, but not my own self. I'm fascinated with the real pine scent. Like Lupin1 said, it's really like pine sap.

I'm glad I had a chance to try this one (not sure if I would have tried it otherwise, it's not on my list), but it's not working on me.

Jabberwocky is a little unexpected for me. After dry down, its slightly pine-y and eucalyptus-y, I don't get any orange. It is not strong however, and actually really soothing and reminiscent of lavender for me. Very pretty and soothing and mind-clearning, but not for me. Will definitely keep the imp though as a mood-booster!

Imp: Pine and eucalyptus. I love pine and am ambivalent about eucalyptus. Getting absolutely no orange.

Wet: Pine. And eucalyptus. This is not exactly the most surprising of blends.

Dry: This dries down to a basic sweet pine pitch note with a little bit of extra bite from the eucalyptus. It's very warm--this is not a chilly pine in a snowy wood. It's more like a pine tree just chillin' in the forest on a summer day. The pine is very sweet possibly from some of the so far hidden orange note.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I like it but it's really not my holy grail of pine scents. It's like a de-sexed Hexennacht 08 without the sultry skin musk or incense notes. A nice, bright pick-me-up but I'm not clambouring for more. Very pleasant, very energetic, definitely reminds me more of an aromatherapy blend than it does a proper perfume.

The pine and eucalyptus come out very strong on me, with just a hint of citrus in the background. I like pine, but I'm more into the type mixed with snow and/or berry notes like in a lot of the Yule blends. For those who do like eucalyptus, it's very cooling and sinus-clearing in a way, but overall this is just too menthol and green for me.

Smells so good in the imp...all foresty and delicious with pine and a hint of sweetness...but on my skin it immediately turned into one of those industrial floral room fresheners and gave me the beginning of a headache.

In Bottle: Mostly pine and eucalyptus with just a hint of citrus.

Wet: A pretty simple combination. I like how fresh it smells.

Dry: Stays true to the in bottle scent.

Notes: Clean, tangy, and fresh. I love it's simplicity and fresh forest feel.

In the bottle: Heavy eucalyptus is all I get on first sniff. I'm not against the scent, actually.

Wet: Eucalyptus and pine. I'm not getting very much citrus, but again, I'm okay with that.

Dry Down: As it drives, I'm getting a slight citrus scent coming up behind the two other notes. The pine is coming through while the eucalyptus is fading down a little.

Dry: 6+ hours later, I get pine tempered by a little citrus. I'm a fan!

As soon as I applied it, I realized that this is very similar to one of my favorite scented soaps, which is pine and grapefruit. Jabberwocky smells very much like Christmas trees and sweet oranges. There's also some eucalyptus in there, but I don't seem to be getting as much on my skin as others have. (In fact, I seem to be getting most of it as a chill at the back of my throat!) Overall, it is definitely a buoyant scent that makes me happy. Unfortunately it doesn't last very long on me. :( After about 20-30 minutes, it is just a skin scent.

I think this would be a great scent during the winter, when I crave the smell of Christmas trees and need a little pick-me-up. I'll just have to track down a full bottle so I can reapply as needed.

Edited by tailoredshirt

That'll wake you up in the morning!

In the imp: PINE!

Wet: Eucalyptus comes out to say hello (sniffing up close was enough to make my nose twitch-itch) with the pine standing tall.

Dry: Every once in awhile I get a hint of bright sweetness that could be the orange, but other than that, it's pine and eucalyptus playing a friendly game of tag, taking turns which is It.

Maybe in an oil burner, because I could see it scenting a room quite well, especially when it gets cold out. But on me? No thanks.

I can't lie... I was kinda hoping for a more intense version of Lush's Karma (which is orange, patchouli, a hint of lemongrass, and i swear a bit of pine and eucalyptus).

well jabberwocky is fun. but it is also a christmas tree scented candle. or some sort of generic scent they seem to market around christmas time.

does that mean i am going to banish this one? no. i probably would still wear it (assume the boyfriend won't be smelling me. i imagine him gagging).

does this mean i am planning on buying a bottle? no. i'll stick to Lush for an orange and pine combo (and patchouli to boot! i love patchouli!).

Why did I even try this? Oh, yeah, frimp, gotta at least try. Oh, this stuff is NASTY. Way too strong, and orange and pine should never mix. I don’t much care for eucalyptus, but that note tends to fade quickly on my skin. Really, this stuff makes my eyes water. Awful, awful.

In the imp: Eucalyptus! Plus a bit of pine.

On me, wet: The pine is a bit stronger, and there's a hint of sweetness that must be the orange.

On me, dry: The eucalyptus and pine mellow out, but unfortunately so does the orange - I can barely detect it after an hour or two.

Overall: There's so much potential here. It is definitely a wake-up scent, and I think would be wonderful around Christmas time. I'll keep the imp, but I may end up using it as a room scent.

This one is a WYSITIIWYG (what you smell in the imp is what you get, lol) for me. I guess my body chemistry doesn't really change this one.

Jabberwocky is freshly piney and woody with a tinge of citrus. Really uplifting. The woodiness grounds the sharp pine and citrus.

I am in love with this one. I might even ask my SO to try it :)

Jabberwocky

On me: Wet: very heavy pine and it made my nostrils feel very hot like a fire breathing dragon. It almost induced a "nostrils burning" sneeze from the dear Ron. He was called back to a memory of being in a sauna in Kaiserslautern with a german man who was fond of putting eucalyptus on the heat. It burned his nostrils and woke him up then as Jabberwocky does now.

Dry: Incredible. A fresh juicy mandarin orange is lying on a pine bough in a eucalyptus steam room. The primary is the mandarin by far. But thats only in my nose. In Ron's nose, It smells like a light eucalyptus.

It reminds me of a colonial christmas we did when I was home schooled. We got together with the other kids and had oranges and a big yule log. Jabberywocky reminds me of it so much. Virginia reel dancing and wool cloaks.

5.5./5

Sweet pine. smells like the xmas tree I'm sitting next to! Oh wait.. there's eucalyptus. it's bright green blue and sharp now. This is actually a great refresher for the senses. I want to bring this to boring old work but I have a feeling everyone would pop up out of their cubes wondering where the stench is coming from. Mmmm. Quickly orange comes out too. Thinking now this would be good xmas party camouflage...well not really. It would be me standing in the corner like a deer in the headlights with my malfunctioning invisible cloak. People whispering in concern and bewilderment.. Hmm ok, as magical as I think bpal perfumes are, they are still just perfumes.

Regardless, this is a lovely atmospheric scent. It definitely needs to be heated up for the orange to release. Perfect for those unsafe (and now archaic with the invention of energy saving bulbs) yet awesome metal scent diffusing lamp rings.

First Sniff: A sharp tang, I think it’s the pine + eucalyptus. I think I smell a heavier wood like cedar too.

Wet: Heavy and reminiscent of a mossy forest.

Dry: As it dried, the sharpness died away. I believe the orange, although faint, matches nicely and tones down the biting eucalyptus. The pine mellowed it out too.

Throw: It’s a heavier scent on me so it had more staying power than the aquatics I’ve tried.

My Reaction: O frabjous day was I looking forward to this one! It would smell nice on a male since it’s a heavier, musky scent. This is definitely an interesting scent, although I’m not sure I want to keep it.

Rating 1-5: 3