Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Jabberwocky

An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange.

I got a surprise frimp of this from the lovely emmacrew and I was SO excited - I'd been trying to nab a try of this for awhile!

In the vial: Mostly eucalyptus and some pine.

Wearing: Mostly eucalyptus at first (nose-clearing!) and then more of the pine comes through, and the tiniest hint of orange. At this point I LOVE it. But then....

After 20 minutes: For some reason, the orange completely takes over on me, nearly eclipsing the other notes! And I'm no longer in love.

Overall, even when I liked it, this had more of an aromatherapeutic quality. Like a scent I would love in a bath soak or shampoo for an energizing feeling. I think I'll use my imp for a bath! (and maybe it'll stay piney-er if it's not on my skin)

jabberwocky.jpg

Real good representation of what a Jabberwocky would smell like. Volatile and piney, their breath must be astounding (and they have teeth like ours, too, as you can see from the picture). I think this would make a potent and wonderful cold salve for a child. Mix it in with a bit of petroleum jelly, and you would loosen up the chest and have fun at the same time. Yes it does tingle a bit when I put it on.

I am very happy to have tried this notable part of The Mad Tea Party. Wonderful image, never took as good a look at it as I have now. Gruesome. The scent has an oddly soothing quality to it, though, in case I forgot to mention it. I bet it's the oranges. Dries down as an exceptionally natural smelling blend.

Mostly eucalyptus and pine sap... very strong!

Jabberwocky has a vick's vapor rub effect on my skin, I might keep an imp around to clear out my sinuses when my allergies get bad...

In the imp: Eucalyptus, with a faint hint of citrus around the edges.

Initial application: Eucalyptus, whooshing right up my nasal passages. And then there's the pine. I second (or third) the suggestion that this would be a good scent to wear when you have a cold.

After 5-10 minutes: The orange comes out. It's the sweet juicy inside of the orange more than the peel. The eucalyptus has died down, but the pine is still there. This Jabberwocky is a surprisingly cheerful monster, which is fitting, I suppose -- I always did like how Tenniel's illustration makes the Jabberwocky look too goofy to be really menacing.

Sadly, it doesn't last very long on me. But I bet this would be nice to add to a bath, especially first thing in the morning on a chilly day.

One of my order surprises, this one is definitely a surprise. From the description, I thought it was one I could pass over. Pine? Eh. Not so much, thanks.

Then I popped it open.

In the bottle: I can pick out every note in the description. Pine, eucalyptus mostly and the orange is the last note that hits me. Bliss! This one might be able to join UltraViolet in my "I feel sick/tired/like crud and I need healing" group.

On the skin: The strongness in the bottle fades within minutes and I'm left with a clean scent. I forgot what earthy things do on me. I must be a recycling center or something like that because my skin 'cleans' up the 'earth'. It's the smell of a pine forest after a rain storm. Everything is polished and you can see for miles with a tiny hint of soap. It's so tiny, though I have to work for it in every sniff.

Dry down: The woods are waking up. The orange and pine and sneaking back in and warming up while the eucalyptus is sneaking out the back. This isn't in my UltraViolet group but it works for when I'm just not feeling myself and need a pick me up - like a coffee day instead of a Depth Charge day.

Wet: Totally and screamingly Eucalyptus backed by stinging pine.

Dry: Yes, the orange comes out and mingles and calms everything way way down. The pine and eucalyptus are around the edge giving a bite. It's like eating a meal with orange sauce, duck a l'orange maybe, outside in a pine forest. It's interesting and VERY fresh. This would make the world's best spa fragrance.

Edited by AlaskaSnows

In the bottle:

Lovely, bracing pine.

Wet:

Still clean pine! I love it when it's this astringent.

Drydown:

Blast. The pine dies pretty quickly. No eucalyptus. Some sickly orange, and that fades too. Thirty minutes later it's totally nondescript.

Looks like I'll have to stick with Dublin and Nocnitsa for my pine fix, for now.

Jabberwocky: Eucalyptus and pine. The orange is nowhere to be sniffed.

On: Ah, there's the orange, floating lightly above the still heavy pine. The eucalyptus has backed down a bit, though I can taste it on the tip of my tongue. Interesting.

Dry: not really sure. It was intensely strong initially, then faded down to practically nothing within five minutes. I do like this scent, but more for aromatherapy uses than as a perfume. It would be great in my car diffuser to help keep me alert.

at first this smells very strongly of pine and eucalyptus. normally, if there's even a hint of citrus, the citrus will dominate on my skin so that i can't even smell anything else, but the orange is very toned down here. it makes an appearance after about five minutes and mixes with the other notes really well. i like it! i think of it as a christmas scent.

So invigorating! The pine/eucalyptus is very nicely balanced by the sweet citrus.

A little too masculine for me as a wearing scent, though would be great for aromatherapy or as a home fragrance.

whoa~~~!!

insanely eucalyptus straight from the imp!!!!

strong as the day is long, too!!!

after a few minutes, the pine and teensy touch of orange pop up.....

then it turns soapy and all but disappears....

hmmmm.... :P

i would imagine this would be good to whiff when you are feeling

hungover.......it'd definitely help with clearing one's head.....

i think i'll keep this lil' sucker around for just such emergencies..... :D

Edited by sookster

First day of a new year, and my very first review. So it seems appropriate to review the first BPAL I ever tried.

I'd been seeing mentions of BPAL all over the internet, and finally looked it up and bought some imps through LJ. My favorite candle scent is eucalyptus, so I tried Jabberwocky first.

Out of the bottle: Eucalyptus YES! And a little pine. Such happiness.

Wet on skin: Eucalyptus still, and I'm still happy.

After it dries: Eucalyptus fades and something else comes up. From reading the desscription and reviews, I know it's supposed to be orange. If I try, I can smell the orange a bit, but mostly it's just a nice soft almost-candy smell. Sweet without being artificial or cloying. I am ecstatic.

Later: Same nice creamy smell. Someone else described it as an orange creamsicle. That's very close to what I'm smelling, too, with emphasis on the cream. :P

My rating: 5/5. Of the 25+ scents I've tried so far, Jabberwocky is definitely in my top 3.

Thank you, Beth!

This is a ridiculously good aromatherepy oil.

When wet (5 min or so), it's all Vicks. Medicinal, but very sinus-clearing. Which is exactly what I needed today.

It sweetens and calms as it dries - and it so pretty. Unfortunately, it fades away to nothing. Unless that's my slight cold...

I'm using my imp like crazy today, and it's really perking me up. I might even get a bottle - this would make such a good bath!

at first: this is all pine and eucalyptus. i hope the orange comes out once it's on.

on: mostly eucalyptus. this is really clearing out my sinuses.

1 hour later: the orange is coming out more and the pine is also stronger. the eucalyptus is in the background. i really like this.

2 hours later: mostly pine.

overall: i think i'll be using this when i'm congested. i really like the strength of the eucalyptus at first, and the drydown is very nice, too.

I'm starting to get a sense for what scents I'm going to like; from the description of Jabberwocky, I was really looking forward to trying it. No disappointment here!

In the bottle: Pine and eucalyptus TO THE HEAD. WHAM.

Wet on skin: Pine needles, sharp and clear and crisp. Not fake pine - freshly broken pine needles. Summer pine, at that; it's not winter-snow chilled pine but August-air hot dry pine.

Dry on skin: Here comes the eucalyptus again, but the pine is very dominant. This is a very sharp crisp vegetative scent.

Over time: Orange! Juicy and sweet and making its way up through the pine. The pine has mellowed a bit. This is turning sweeter, but still with the sharp herbal vegetative scent I'm a big fan of.

Overall: This is a keeper, oh my god is it ever a keeper! Woody and vegetative, androgynous, refreshing. Clean and not too sweet. My only hesitation about this scent is that my husband might not like it; I can't recall if he is neutral on or actively dislikes eucalyptus. If he doesn't mind this scent, though, it's on my next order as a 10 ml. 5/5

This was a frimp from the lab.

In the vial: eucalyptus cough drops. Hmm. I decide to put some on to see how it morphs.

Wet: Eucalyptus, pine and citrus. Very strong throw.

Dry: Eucalyptus, pine and citrus. This is not what I would chose as perfume, but I think it will be very useful as an aromatherapy scent for colds or allergies.

This imp was generously given to me by a sweet Ebay seller!

In the imp: A Halls cough drop.

Wet on my skin: Mentholyptus cough drop for two or three minutes, then the pine comes out. The pine and eucalyptus together smells chilly and very green to my nose. After 10 minutes, I can smell a tiny hint of orange with the rest, if I sniff hard.

Dry: This is pretty nice! The punch-you-in-the-face smell of pine and eucalyptus together has blended and toned down quite a bit. This also means that the orange gets to come out and play, and Jabberwocky now smells like orange with a bit of pine.

I have a problem sometimes with pine turning sour on me. Not all, but some blends do it. Jabberwocky's pine note remains true on my skin, luckily! This would also make a great guy scent or room scent. Will try it on the boyfriend later and see how it works on him.

This is pretty nifty. The pine and eucalyptus in the beginning are a strange combination. The eucalyptus makes it cool, and the pine pops up images of summer at dusk, just when the mosquitos are coming out. After a little while, it becomes much sweeter, and the summer associations are even stronger, possibly because the pine is in the background and can work more subliminally. Every time I sniff my wrist, I feel a little surprised.

Pretty wierd to get that feeling when I'm huddled under a fake-down blanket, wearing wool knee-highs and the like.

Wrist-to-nose trip frequency = high

Coincidentally, I tried this the same day I tried Nero -- one on each wrist.

Wet, I much prefer the orange in this one to the rosemary in Nero, but unfortunately I can't get away from the accursed VapoRub associations from the eucalyptus. And I guess I have too many pine-scented cleaning products, because Jabberwocky makes me feel like I smell like my kitchen floor. A very clean kitchen floor, mind you.

When drying, the pine/eucalpytus turned into a spectacular, bright, orange scent. The eucalyptus seems gone so it's no longer VapoRubby, and the pine kind of charges up the orange. Unfortunately I also have orange-scented cleaning products.

So, this one isn't for me. And even though Mr Gree wanted to try it, I don't think I want him to. I'm afraid that if I smelled this on him I would suddenly want to rush off and scrub down the fridge.

This was one of the first scents I decided to try. I thought it sounded great, my boyfriend thought it sounded like pinesol. Unfortunately, he was right. All I can smell when I wear this is pinesol. It's not bad- it's energetic and bright- but I think it's going in the swap pile.

On me: Kind of medicinal, but not in a bad way at all. The pine is spicy and the orange softens everything. It’s a high smell—I don’t see it as earth at all, but buoyant, definitely. And it is the Jabberwock!

Later: This smells incense-y, but not actually like incense. It reminds me of hippie stores, but not the ones that actually burn incense. Weird. But the orange scent is delicious. It also reminds me of Asian food… It is kind of masculine, though.

An hour later: Like most BPAL scents, this doesn’t last very long on me. It is rather intriguing though. I don’t have to be wary about trying this again.

Second try: This time the incense disappears quickly into a sharp orange scent. I like the initial scent in that I would go into a store or restaurant that smelled like it, but it’s not for me, and I don’t really like the orange as a scent.

Eucapyptus and bitter orange, both in a cutting, painful to my nose sort of way. Thankfully, it took one wash for it to be gone, so I can't tell you about the drydown.

Vial: Eucalyptus-minty-burn? Ow... my nose...

Skin: Wow, awake now! This is very medicinal to me, almost like one of those natural eyemasks with lavender you'd use to fall asleep. Something akin to that. The eucalyptus is very very strong and I can pick out the pine. No orange at all for me. It would probably work best in a diffuser for me, to make me wide awake in the morning, but as perfume, no.