Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
strahlend

The Grave-Pig

Fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli.

figgy figgy piggy

the fig is really strong upon application, but the patchouli and some sort of soft earthiness (not sure if this is from the oakmoss, mushroom caps, or both) are definitely present in the background. this isn't much of a morpher. the fig fades back into balance with the patchouli, but all of the elements noticeable upon application are present throughout the drydown. great last. i have been having a lot of luck with simpler bpals recently and this is no exception. this is not really anything super remarkable, but it is playful, pretty, and very wearable. a nice, cozy, figgy, patchouli.

also, my favorite jacket smells like iago permanently because i wear it all the time and these two play /well/ together

Blind testing a free imp, didn't look up notes til after putting it on my skin.

In the imp: Rich, loamy black soil with dusty pine needles and mushrooms.

Wet on my skin: Still that rick, black soil. That dusty pine needle and mushroom scent is still there, and it reminds me of the rich soil left behind after a spruce tree has decayed into it and life begins to spring from the tree's death.

Dry: Same notes as above, but now there's this dry, warm sweetness coming into play as the fig makes itself known. The mushroom in this smells specifically like the white Amanita species that grow in the mountain canyons here after heavy rainfall. I had no idea what to expect with this, but it's an absolutely gorgeous blend and I think I may need more of it. In my mind, it's a dusty brown layered over deep, murky green.

This is very strong on the patchouli but well-blended, it's a dark green herbal dirt scent. Definitely not for me, but one of the Lab's better patchouli blends.

I LOVE this!

I had intended to buy a bottle of Carnal, because I thought it was my favourite figgy scent (next to Freak Show) and I'm glad I didn't! I will be getting a bottle of this instead.

I adore the lab's fig note, and I also adore patchouli mixed with sweet fruit (as in Depraved) and this does not disappoint.

In the bottle I find it to be all patchouli and earth, all the time.

Wet, still mostly patchouli.

It dries quite quickly to a beautiful sweet fig with undercurrents of patchouli, and something beautiful and earthy (not sure if that's the mushroom or oakmoss or both). Hours later it still smells lovely, soft and sweet and earthy. Pretty much heaven. :wub3:

I tested this yesyerday and today (it was a frimp from 2 months ago) and it's AMAZING. It might just tie with Perversion as my HG. I've been in the mood for a figgy scent lately, and this totally hits the spot. This doesn't morph a lot on me; it's just a warm, sweet (but not too foody or sweet) fig rounded out by other notes that are in the background but not easily recognizable. Love. Want a bottle immediately.

I like the name :laugh: and the associations, as usual.

In the bottle wet, it smelled earthy...I don't yet know how to pick out BPAL's earth scents...because the only two I have tested are Death Cap and now this...and both have mushroom.

All I can say is...if you don't like this initially, it dries into a VERY beautiful scent that is much warmer and sweeter, though not foodie sweet. I am going to try this a couple times before I decide on a bottle...but its awesome!

I had high hopes for TGP, but it does not like me.

In the imp, it smelt warm and subtle--I couldn't pick out individual notes, but it was a good smell. Once applied, it instantly became a bad smell :-(.

(Edited after other blends have been problematical,) I suspect either the mushrooms or the fig note may have been turned by my skin chemistry.

Re-edited to add: Fig is not the problem.

Edited by Teamama

In the bottle: it smells kind of sweet, mixed with some mushrooms. It's an intriguing scent and completely new to my nose, perfume wise.

Wet on skin: at first I can smell some sweet fig, joined by oakmoss soon after application. I can’t smell the mushroom caps and patchouli just yet, I don’t think. It smells kind of like tobac. There is no tobac note in the perfume, as far as I know, but whatever it actually is, reminds me of tobac.

Dry on skin: the perfume's sweeter than in the bottle, and there’s also more patchouli, finally. In general I don't love patchouli but I like it here because it doesnt drown out the rest of the notes. I can still catch the smell of oakmoss, and I like it.

It’s a nice scent. Kinda on the sweeter side but also mossy and not really fresh. It’s unusual but I can see myself wearing it most of the times, especially during winter.

Wet: FIG, GLORIOUS FIG.

:heart:

This was a frimp. The person who frimped me is THE BEST. I thought maybe it would be MOSTLY DIRT so I had steered clear but I was so, so wrong and it's mostly fig. Ahhhhhh.

In the imp: patchouli and earthy moss.

Wet: Patchouli, with a soft, creamy edge, which I assume is the mushroom caps because it reminds me of Destroying Angel and Death Cap.

Dry: This is almost sugary with fig! Still getting the patchouli and creamy mushroom note but they're not as prominent. I don't know why I haven't tried this one sooner, I love most of the scents with a soil note. Which oddly, I'm not getting much of, but I love it all the same.

(I give up trying to format this post)

Edited by d0gbones

I really love this. I'm rubbish at picking out notes as I don't know what most of them smell like on their own, so apologies for mostly describing smells as colours.

In the imp it's a fairly strong sweet smell, I was worried it might go foodie (which I don't like) or be something overwhelming.

Thankfully on my skin this immediately changes to a soft, gently sweet (but not foodie or floral sweet) cosy smell. I assume the sweetness is the fig. There's a touch of something a bit incensy as well (the patchouli, I guess) and something a tiny bit green, but a dark green, not a bright one.

I don't get "mushroom" at all, but maybe it's part of the overall "cosy brown" smell?

Doesn't change much over time (possibly because it doesn't last long on me), it gets a little bit softer, a tiny bit less sweet, but mostly stays the same.

Unfortunately it seems to fade really quickly on me :( It's lovely for an hour then *poof* it vanishes. I don't think this imp will last long if I keep reapplying! I might have to get a bottle.

That's definitely patch, but it's s softer patch, maybe the fig helps that. Lots of potential death notes here for me, but it's working. I have a friend who can wear scents like this, so well, so I think I am going to pass my frimp on to her, but glad I got to try it.

In the imp: fig and patchouli. Dark and gritty, and just a touch sweet.

Wet: Similar, but something very earthy. Like straight up dirt. After looking at the notes- mushroom for sure.

Dry: Very dirty, earthy scent. Almost all mushroom with a little bit of patch and oakmoss.

Not being a fan of mushroom smells or the lab’s black patchouli, I wouldn’t have ordered this, but I love fig and oakmoss, so I’m pleased to get a chance to try it. On the wand, I smell fig and oakmoss.

On my skin, though, the mushrooms gain volume at first, with fig playing a strong second fiddle. I also get a slight creamy, nutty tone that reminds me of ambrette. The patchouli is just a grounding touch beneath these; I don’t mind it at this strength.

The blend fades into a quiet skin scent on me once it dries, barely there. After a bit the fig fades from this, followed by the shrooms. The creamy, nutty tone I got earlier has also mostly faded, and now I get a soft vanillic thing that reminds me of benzoin.

I’ll enjoy this imp. It’s not quite my thing, though.

Earthy, figgy goodness. The patch in this is a gnarlier one than in many BPALs, giving it a real turned-earth quality. The moss and mushrooms add to that too, but they're soft and gentle and don't overpower the fig. This smells exactly like the description/notes, but if I'm not paying attention and get a whiff of it I keep thinking I'm smelling Fig Newtons. So if you've ever wanted to smell like Fig Newtons, get this. It also has a lot of throw--just sitting here with my arms by my sides I can smell it clearly (it's on my elbow). I do like it a lot, but I'm not sure I need a bottle.

Edited by lizabelle

I am so surprised by this! I came about The Grave-Pig out of curiosity and searching through the directory for fig scents. I have a fig tree in my neighborhood, and love figs and the smell of fig leaves. A little hesitant to go with a fruity scent, but was hoping the patchouli and earthy notes would tie it together and round it out. SCORE!

I ordered and imp, and will be getting a bottle for sure.

In the imp- patchouli, as expected, and a little woodsy - oakmoss? and a lot less sweet than I expected

Wet- earthy, sweet and figgy, and I did not smell much else.

Dry- FANTASTIC on my skin. I feel like I could add more patchouli forward scents and make this extra chewy and earthy, as it is a little sweet for me initially. I keep going back to smell myself and the imp. It changes so much and really rounds out with the little bit of mushroom and making such a beautiful transition. This makes me feel like a little forest faery. YUM.

UPDATE: Bought a full bottle, and it smells like dr. pepper. I haven't tried it on my skin yet

Edited by Madame Mew

i love patch, and the patch in here is great, but i wish for a little more sweetness in the fig. i think i may try layering this with a sweeter oil, maybe with some vanilla to amp it up a bit.

Got this scent as frimp and I didn't read the fig being in there. My nose smelled it immediately. Wet I could smell the patchoulie and a pretty earth scent (I guess the mushrooms) as well, but after 20 minutes all three was left was the sweet fig on my skin.

Sad but no scent for me.

Received this as frimp and was very curious about it. In the imp it smells earthy, but not in a bad way. Unfortunately, on my skin it immediately turns to dirt and mud. The scent fades from me rather quickly, but while it's drying it's strong and definitely not for me.

In the imp: Fig, backed by earthy patchouli and oakmoss. I'm not really getting the mushroom caps note in the imp.

Wet: The fig note stands out to me the most, backed by the earthy notes, which are rather light at the moment. The fig isn't as strong on me as it was in the imp, though. I'm still not getting anything that really reminds me of mushrooms, but I suppose that's a good thing.

Dry: The fig note continues to reign, followed by the patchouli, which I think is a red variety. It's earthy without actually smelling like dirt.

Verdict: There are other scents fig scents I enjoy more, so I don't think I'll hold on to my imp, but if you're looking for an earthy scent that doesn't actually contain a soil note, give this one a try.

2 & 1/2 yo frimp!

In the bottle: Something fresh and fruity
5 minutes on: The fig is taking the lead almost instantly, and the patchouli is slowly creeping in.
10 minutes: Still very sweet, a bit more... earthy?
15 minutes: A lot more earthy, the sweet is still here, but is on equal footing with the earthy now.
20 minutes: Not much seems to be changing. This seems to meld together more and more into a gentle sweet scent with an earthy undertone.
Half an hour: The patchouli is setting in now, and together with the sweet fig, is making for a truly wonderful smell. It actually smells rather girly, and I'm loving it.
40 minutes: Patchouli with something fresh and green in the background - the oakmoss? - and the sweet slowly fading.
50 minutes: Fresh, green patchouli
An hour: It's doing that thing again where I can kinda smell all of the different things, but it's hard to make any one in particular out.
An hour and 20 minutes: The fresh green scent with the sweet dancing in the background like... idk... cotton candy?
An hour and 40 minutes: Fruit gum, maybe? A sweet and fruity smell that is also more fresh than sweet.
2 hours: A patch of fresh green growing in the earthy woods, with some fruity smell lingering about.

Damn - I usually try to smell regularly for longer than this, but I seem to have forgotten this time.It's almost been 3 hours now, and it seems to have pretty much faded now. This was a wonderful scent that mostly gave me sweet / fruity - sometimes fresh, sometimes patchouli, but always sweet / fruity. When my mom put this one on the fig was a lot more 'fig', but I still really really liked it. A great result from a frimp I probably would never have thought of getting myself. =D

I didn't expect to like this, much less love this!

On me, this is a light, slightly sweet scent. I think it's mostly fig, with the patchouli being balanced by the oakmoss and mushroom caps. Usually patchouli is a scent I stay away from completely because I had breathing reactions to Saje's "Yoga" essential oil a few years ago and thought it was the patchouli.

This was a frimp and I am so grateful it was included in my order, because I don't think I'd have picked it for myself in a million years if I hadn't smelled it first. Now I think I'll be buying a full bottle!!

I think it's a perfect day time spring scent.

I think this imp is from 2011, it was a frimp if I recall correctly.

In bottle: mushrooms!  Very earthy.  

On skin: this smells kind of like a basement, but not in an unpleasant way?  Still very earthy.  

After a few hours: earthy and warm.

I probably will offer this up for a swap.  

In the imp: Fig, patchouli, and something earthy that does not smell like either the Lab's dirt note or like patchouli. 

On my skin:

Wet, I get patchouli and what smells like peat whiskey without the spirited fumes. Given several minutes to dry and develop on my skin, the fig also becomes discernible, lending some warmth to the blend. 

Sadly, after about half an hour, the fig fades, and I'm left with patchouli and oakmoss. It's not unpleasant in itself, but it's much drier minus the fig. At this stage, comparisons to an older stone building are apt. It's interesting to try, but for regular wearing, I wanted the fig. 

Low throw. 

I purchased this as an imp from the lab.  In the bottle, it smells 100% like oakmoss and only oakmoss.

Two wand swipes on my wrist yield more oakmoss.  I do not like oakmoss very much.  The dry down begins with patchouli sneaking in to tame the oakmoss, thank goodness.  It takes several minutes for me to be able to detect any fig.  The fig is not very sweet - someone else described it as "chocolatey," and I agree with that assessment.  After the fig shows up, the oakmoss takes a backseat (GOOD) and I am left with patchouli, something slightly creamy, and a whisper of fig and oakmoss.  It sticks close to the skin and lasts for quite a long time.

I was hoping for more fig.  Maybe I'll have better luck with Carnal.