Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
strahlend

The Grave-Pig

Fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli.

Vial: Fig and patchouli. Very earthy, and a little sweet. Since I amp sweetness, I hope it won't be overwhelming on me...
On: The fig devours everything else within minutes after I put it on. It also turns rather faint...
Later: Very faint fig. Not my thing.

Vial: Figgy dirty love.

On: Oh dear god I want to eat my wrist. Lots of fig. Lots of earthy goodness.

Hours later: A little faint, but it might just be because every time I wear this I can't stop huffing it.

Wow, this is really gorgeous! I knew I wanted to try it, because I do tend to like the lab's fig note, and I like patchouli. I didn't go out of my way to get it, though, because oakmoss and mushrooms are iffy on me. I almost always dislike dirt scents (though I'm crazy about Death Cap, my exception to the rule).

But a kind forumite sent me an imp, and this is just stunning! It's been awhile since I was really bowled over by a BPAL scent--I like a lot of them, but haven't had a "must have" for quite awhile. And this is a must have for me.

It's a really soft, warm, brown scent. I get fig, of course, but it's not overly sweet, and it's not fresh green fig, its more a dried fig scent. I don't get a dirt scent per se, but it does have a nice earthiness to it. I wouldn't know there was oakmoss in it unless, well, I knew! :lol: It smells like it has a soft sandalwood in it, not woody per se, but just warm and slightly brown, though of course sandalwood is not a note listed....it's just an impression I get.

It reminds me of my memory of Brown Jenkins. Now I've only tried Brown Jenkins several years ago at a Will Call, so my memory may be incorrect, but this reminds me of it in that it is a warm scent, slightly woody, slightly incensy, and all around soft and lovely.

I'm going to get a bottle!

In bottle: on paper I should love this. It's very soft, though and not all that impressive. It's mostly patchouli and mushrooms, with fig a distant second, and the oakmoss barely there. Wet: The mushrooms are now stronger than the patchouli, though not particularly wholesome. The oakmoss warms up on the skin and edges it's way to dominance fairly quickly. The fig also warms up and sweetens the other elements to their benefit, I think. This isn't foody, but more a dried moss, mushroom, and patchouli sort of thing, even with the fig as a counter weight. I had no idea why one would wear this in the bottle, but on the skin, it makes sense. I am a bit allergic to fig, which prevents me wearing this beyond the small skin test, but it's a pleasant, subtle thing I wouldn't onject too if it weren't making me itch. The effect gets wetter over time, so that the dried arrangement effect shades towards damp mossy, fungus covered log with the sweet earthy fig keeping it lighter and sweeter than one would expect. Dry: Surprisingly long lasting. Mostly oakmoss.

Edited by Gwydion

This is an interesting scent, probably not one I would have picked out for myself.

On wet, The Grave-Pig smells of patchouli-dirt. The fig makes a sweetness to the dirt smell, like a sort of honeyed dirt or a wet earth smell mixed with juice or fruit.

As it dries on my skin, the patchouli becomes less dominant, allowing for the sweetness of the fig to assert itself, but the undertone of earth still remains--perhaps that's the mushrooms. It's a very dark scent for me, and I could see this being actually quite a sexy fragrance, especially for someone who really wants to smell as if they've fallen asleep in a forest overnight. It has quite an allure to it.

In the end, though, I'm not really sure if it's my thing. I don't really wear patchouli-based scents often enough for me to want a bottle of this instantly, but I can see this really working for someone else who would like a dark scent that maybe isn't so spicy. I may try and test it once more, because it does smell quite nice on me and it has potential to be one of those fragrances that sort of grow on you. It could be a scent that I didn't know I needed, especially since my box is so vanilla, leather and amber heavy.

Hmmm. Again, this one, really interesting. It'll probably take me a while to make up my mind.

Edited to add: I could see this scent being sort of unisex. This would probably smell amaaazing on a fella, especially if somehow he has my identical skin chemistry to make it smell like it does on me. Because, it smells pretty damn good on me.

Edited by feline.by.design

How have I not already reviewed this here?? I've certainly waxed rhapsodic about this scent everywhere else on the forum :lol:

The Grave Pig is one of those utterly surprising, serendipitous finds, as I had not planned on ordering an imp of it and it was not even on my radar when I placed my first order with the lab back in July of this year (2011). But those Labbies, they are such the clairvoyants, and slipped this in among the frimps in that first box of BPAL love. I saw the name ( :eek: ), checked the notes on the site, opened it up to sniff...and :thud:

In the vial: Ah, patchouli, I do love you so! And what a nice, fresh, green patchouli you are here, swimming in the earthy mushroom & oakmoss notes with just a hint of figgy sweetness.

Wet on skin: This...is SO. Good. Holy Mother of Us All, I want to smell like this all day, every day. I am swathed in a cloud of sweet-spicy-earthy goodness, all the notes blending just perfectly and none overwhelming (or fighting with) any other. I can definitely pick out the patchouli (LOVE!) and fig (bliss) and the mushroom note so similar to Death Cap but tempered here by the sweet fig & patchouli, with the oakmoss contributing a sensual sweet complexity that I'm somehow interpreting as spicy (in conjunction with the mushroom & patch, most likely) and boosting the earthy quality of this blend. The sillage on this is wonderful--strong enough to be picked up a few feet away but not enough to knock over my coworkers. Good thing. Totally slather-worthy.

Dry: Have mercy, this is exactly the same dry on me as wet :joy: I feel so powerful, beautiful, sexy, and confident wearing this! It lasts & lasts--I can still smell this the next day. The Grave Pig could well be my signature BPAL, and a bottle of it went into my very next BPAL order--I love it so much I feel it equally squee-inspiring as any beloved LE/rare/DC.

And to think--if not for the lab's "random selection of imps included with purchase," I might never have found it. That would have been tragic, indeed, and so I bow to the wisdom that guides the picker of imps :bow:

I DO love fig and oakmoss but I'm not a fan of patch or shroom but I thought I'd give this a whirl and I'm glad I did!

In the bottle: it's patch and sweet fig with the dirt undertone. I hope it doesn't go all dirt on me.

Wet on the skin: The oakmoss is tempering everything, I think, making the patch not so headshop on me. I can smell the dirt but it grounds the sweetness of the fig. I'm liking it.

Dry: It's a rich, sweet scent that I'm enjoying very much. I don't believe I'll get a bottle of this, but when I feel the urge to enjoy a GOOD patch scent, this is definitley the one I'm going to eek out. On my skin, it doesn't last really long. It stays close on me. Most oils break down quickly on my skin though which sucks because I find I need to reapply a few times in the day to continue to enjoy the scents. Slathering = buying more = light wallet.

So this is my first review, but I've worn this scent often enough (including today), so I hope I can do it justice. I ordered this one because it sounded so different from anything else on my list. I wanted to try something earthy, but was scared of the rose note in Zombi. I'm so glad I added this one to my order, because it's become one of my top ten go-to scents. :wub2:

In the imp: I mostly get an earthy spiciness that must be patchouli. But this is not an in-your-face patchouli. It actually smells smooth and creamy. Creamy spicy dirt.

On wet: The fig surfaces, and I never really noticed before, but this must be where the mushroom comes out on me. I'm not sure what oakmoss smells like, but perhaps it's blending in with the others. Overall very round and mellow, although low on through.

Dry: Ahh, this settles into such a comforting earthy smell. I've found I *love* Beth's fig note. But whereas Molly Grue is a nutty foody fig, and Eden is coconuty sweet, in The Grave-Pig I don't get any of the sweetness. Instead it maintains this faint earthy spice... Not like cinnamon spice, but more like dried figs kept in wooden barrels if that makes sense. After a little while this grounds itself into a second-skin scent on me. While it's low on throw, it lasts all day, and 10 hours later I can still sniff my wrist for a whiff.

Overall Impression: Mellow. This is the kind of scent that I can wear to bed and snuggle into. It stays close to the skin, so you wouldn't wear this to get attention. But this was the first scent that Mr. Dormouse noticed on me, and when he leaned in it was with a sigh of, "Mmmm, you smell good."

Also recommended: Molly Grue, Death Cap, Eden

Edited by Hazel Dormouse

This was a frimp from the lab that I wouldn't have picked out for myself. I'm more the pretty-sweety kind of fragrance gal, but what the heck? Might as well try everything once.

In the imp it's patchouli. I'm not against patchouli, but that's all I can smell in there.

On me, it's also patchouli! The smell is kind of a mix between new soil that you buy from the good greenhouse places, and an acrid patchouli. I honestly can't find fig. I wish I could...

As this settles in, it mellows and blends, but it's all dirt to me. If the fig is anywhere it's a "round" aftertaste I get when huffing the oil up close. Things are also a little spicy.

In the end, I would use this imp to demonstrate what patchouli smells like to the uninitiated. (Yes, I've had that come up before.) I would only dig this one out of my imp box if I was seriously craving a potting soil vibe though. Not really my thing, but I can't say I hate it.

I can definitely smell everything described.

In the bottle its very earthy. I smell fig and dirt. Its strong, but not unpleasant. It doesn't smell like a dirty dirt, but instead rather comforting.

Once on the fig stays strong, but I'm definitely getting patchouli and oakmoss. Sniffing it I imagine a barefoot walk through the forest, my toes digging into soft soil. Little mushrooms start to poke out after it dries down a bit. It's not entirely sweet, which I like.

After a while of uncertain sniffing, I'm starting to like this one. I love fig, so I think this one is a keeper. Going to need to play around with it some more before I decide if its a favourite or not.

ITI: Patchouli and fig are the most evident, although there is some faintly astringent greenness, which I think is the oakmoss. So far, I like it better than I thought I would as I wasn't sure how much mushroom there would be.

Wet: Strong fig and light patchouli now, and there is just a touch of earthiness is I inhale deeply from the oakmoss and the mushroom. It's still a very foresty scent with a bit of Fae due to the fig.

Dry: An equal blend of fig and patchouli with a hint of earthiness from the moss. It's rather pretty, actually.

Unfamiliar as I am with the reference of the name of this oil, I was a bit mystified by the moniker of this imp. The Grave Pig. Is it a very serious pig? Or a pig who for some reason is at a grave site? It's a mystery. But, I digress...

Wow I love this one. I need this one. The patchouli is nice and light, but still very metallic? That's what it makes me feel. I love the fig in this, it's very earthy and raw. So good.

Who thought I would love an oil called The Grave Pig.

Earthy patchouli that is sweetened by the fig. I was originally worried about the mushroom, but that just keeps it grounded with an earthiness. This is very long-lasting too, and stays a warm sweet patchouli for hours. Really happy that the lab frimped me with this, or I might never have thought to try it!

In the bottle: Patchouli.

Immediately after application: Oakmoss, almost spicy, a dried scent I think is the mushroom caps, and patchouli. Oooh this is a neat blend!

Warming up: Spicy, sweet, and almost dusty. So far this is a winner!

Fading: More of the patch and oakmoss now, the sweetness from the fig has mostly dissipated. I still love it!

Faded: Average throw, average to long wear.

Overall: LOVE. Definitely not an everyday scent but it was beautifully complex and interesting.

Rating: 5/5.

Gah, this is gorgeous :thud: . I can't believe I've never reviewed it before! It's fresh over-turned soil with the fig hovering gently in the background. A mellow, grounding scent that is also dead sexy. Light throw...needs to be slathered on which is fine with me. I could roll around in this stuff all day :wub2:

Bottle!

Hmmm. I don't really get the fig in this - and I love fig! For me this is just very evocative and one of the notes they do so well. It smells like overturned mossy soil.

Imp: Rooty patchouli, dusty moss, and something that might be sandalwood. No mushrooms yet! :lol:

Wet: Fig. Definitely fig. For just a second. And then back to warm, earthy, soft brown patchouli and the dusty, almost salty, moss. And-- I'm almost sure-- white sandalwood as well. The overall impression is very nice, pretty and headshoppy but not overwhelming. It's a calm, down-to-earth smell, a bit like the stuff I wore before I found BPAL. I think there might be cedar in here too, but not enough to make it all pencil-shavings.

Dry: Dry wood, soft roots, earth. Patchouli and sandalwood and moss and maybe just a trace of fig. It's pretty, but I like Baba Yaga more for the same feel. Also, too much exposure to this one makes me sneeze (the cedar, I think!)

In the bottle: Earth-y patchouli, a bit of mushroom, a bit of fig.

Wet on the skin: Oh holy night... Mushroom! Can smell the cap and the spores on the gills and everything. Like sniffing on the forest floor or cutting into a fresh, white mushroom. That's it.

Drydown: After about an hour it stops smelling like a Mushroom single note. I get the smell of rich, loamy earth. Very realistic - like good black soil. And in the background is the mushroom, and the moss and fig.

This is totally not what I expected, but I'm kind of liking it. What I expected was a very figgy blend - and it is not that. It is mostly an Earth and mushroom (and Moss) blend with fig in the background sweetening things up just a little.

:::THE GRAVE-PIG:::

Aren't Frimps the most wonderful things? While a pocket book recession may have slowed the pace of orders from the lab, it is an irresistable force... The excitement levels were so high when that pinchably cute box with the telltale orange tape arrived that the bonus Imp's Ears had become a momentarily forgotten prize that, literally, produced a squee... and an eye roll from the Beloved. :)

Looking this one up produced a dollop of unease at first. The praises of The Lab's Fig note have been sung by many, it is true, but in this case the results have been historically unfortunate... imagine being proferred a Fig Newton from a warm and sweaty pocket where a balogna sandwich has also been stored and you get the idea.

Other notes in this overrode preconceived discomfiture and mandated an enthusiastic try. The results are...

From the Imp: Patchouli! Yay! The Fig is also right at the front of the line, waving maniacally, but smells more raisinesque at this phase. A spicy bite perchance to darkles at the borders; no mention of Cassia has been included, nonetheless there is a distinctive impression of it.

Further snufflings evoke Black Walnut paste, Tree Bark, Leather, Ash, and Loam... Nothing Mushroomy, Truffly, or otherwise Fungoid just yet. Oakmoss is here somewhere, but mostly in a suggestive sense. The darks of Patchouli and Fig have muted anything definitive thus far.

On the Skin:Previous Whoah! Um, Cedar??? Yup. Don't know why, but The Grave-Pig is amping some very conspicuous timber here. Big Time.

We have, here, a sawmill. The lumber aisle at Home Depot. The contents of a pencil sharpener upturned into the prolific beard of a smiling man hefting a double bladed axe and wearing a flannel the approximate size of a carport. Fig has fled. Patchouli has poofed. Mushroom's gone missing. If this is Oakmoss, it has been injecting steroids into its neck whilst swilling burbon.

Several minutes later something soft and green, but indistinct tries to come out and play: In the aftermath of a forest fire the ranger, while scanning charred acreage, spots a verdant shoot that has risen from the ash. It is too far away to identify, even through powerful binoculars, but it is there. There is hope anew.

The Grave-Pig seems best suited for masculine body chemistry from this impession. A woman could certainly wear it, but the best accoutrement would be a utility belt.

Still, this is a powerful, wonderful, and evokative fragrance. A 4 out of 5.

Wet: Chocolatey with a touch of deep, meaty fig.

Drydown: Dark purple fig, nearly black. It smells thick and shadowed. Softened a touch by earthy mushroom and perhaps a bit of dust.

Dry: The fig is lighter now, almost resembling wine at this point. Soft, pillowy patchouli partners with it and dusty mushroom and oakmoss lighten the blend further in the background. It smells dusty pink and soft with a slight tang.

6 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

Pretty much what it says on the tin. Figs and dirt with oakmoss and mushrooms and patchouli. Patch is powdery in this one, but luckily it's not too loud to be a problem. The fig gets stronger the longer it stays on, which is good.

Overall, just a nice earthy blend with enough fig to brighten it and make it yummy. Glad I have an imp. :-)

Boo. I guess this cinches that the Lab's fig note doesn't work on me. To my nose it's very feminine and perfumed in a way I don't like. Wet, this was deep, dark patchouli for a second, before quieting down into a soft, earthy scent with the sweet fig front and center.

In the vial and wet, this was all patchouli all the things! I am normally okay with patchouli, but it can sometimes overpower a scent, so I was cautious.

On drydown, however, the patchouli goes a lot fainter and I'm getting more of the other notes, fig, and the oakmoss grounds the scent fairly well. I'm not sure what would be the mushrooms in this, but I'm sure they're there somewhere. :)

Overall, it's a soft and smoky and a little dirty patchouli blend with a bit of morphing going on once it dries on the skin.

I probably don't need a bottle since I don't wear patchouli blends all that often, but it was surprisingly good on me nonetheless.

Add me to the list of people who was mystified by the name. According to a Hans Christian Anderson reference, the Grave-Pig is the ghost of a pig that's been buried alive, and it portends death and calamity. So, rather sad and distressing reference!

Yet despite the unfortunate title the blend is quite nice. I tested it without reading the notes at first and could've sworn there was ozone and potentially sandalwood in this. For supposedly being an "eathy" scent I find it surprisingly airy. It smells like very, very light fig with a touch of oakmoss that's somehow not dry at all (like it is in all other blends I've tried). There's the faintest touch of patchouli that gives it some woodiness in the backdrop, but it's amazingly delicate. This would be a great scent during warmer weather.

Definitely more on the "ghost" side rather than being heavy due to its wispy nature.

Fiiiiiiiiig.

I, too, tried this without reading the notes first. I could have sworn there was some tobacco in this but I guess not. I didn't pick up on any patchouli, which I lurve, but it being in here does make sense.

I get strong, tobacco-y fig with a warm fuzziness that reminds me of mushrooms, as opposed to smelling exactly like mushrooms. It's yum. Really yum. The Nutcracker is the only BPAL I have backup bottles of and this reminds me of a heavier, earthier version of The Nutcracker. I may just need a bottle for my dirtier fig moods.

Also, I love pigs.

Edited by riddel