Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Smut! Smut! Smut! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

Hmm..I was convinced this was going to be my perfect scent, but I am not so sure. I love Marianne and Mircalla and Snake Oil- all wonderful blends with red musk. This one is definitely darker to me and not as sweet. I don't smell the wonderful sugar and vanilla over red musk I read descriptions of. I swear I smell nuts and unsweetened cocoa and latex gloves all mixing in the background to ruin the lovely red musk I can tell is in there somewhere. I'm going to give it a few more chances; this was from an imp and I have a bottle on the way, so maybe I'll like the different age better. If not, maybe someone will trade me for more Marianne, which so far I vastly prefer.

ETA: I got a bottle of an older version and I like it much better. It's more of the sugary scent I was expecting and less of the strange cloying smell I got from the decant. I have a feeling that age improves this, so hopefully it'll keep getting even better. Edited by Shollin

Imp: dried red fruit and play-doh.

Wet on Skin: suddenly alcoholic, I think it’s port. Some lovely juicy red fruit in that port! Definitely red musk and maybe some skin musk. And sex! The feel is very similar to O, very sexy, dirty and did I mention SEXY?

Drydown: it mellows to a sweet fruity nectar, sex-kissed vanilla and musk.

Fresh Smut - bad. Aged Smut - Heavenly. When fresh, the red musk in Smut takes over the entire blend and mixed with boozy sugar gives off a caramel note of doom with my skin chemistry. However, when aged Smut is a golorious combination of ever so sweet musks that cling to the skin and produces this amazing sensual, velvet scent that sings.

REVIEW OF 2010 Version

I have sniffed at other versions of this and found that there were some years that appealed to me more than others, so I was not going to cry if this one did not work out. Oh, but it did. :)

Wet, I get a grape-ish musky scent. Like yummy musk and purple sugar. Not too heavy on the booze, which for me is a good thing. I amp the alcohol like WHOA. The musks are slightly reminiscent of the Girl for me... yum.

Drying this gets less purple sugar and more boozy musk. But sexy. It's kind of difficult to put into words, but I really like it. I feel like a smutty little nymph wearing this. Like I have sexy underwear on under my clothes and only I know about it, but it makes me smile. Does that make sense?

Love this, probably going to need more. :)

2010 version

I have, I confess, never tried any of the previous versions and now I have absolutely no idea why not because this scent is outstanding.

In the bottle it's sweet & boozy. Dry on me it's all sugared musk. Gorgeous, sexy sugared musk. Sweet without being cloying, sultry without being too heavy.

My husband has declared that I have to wear this all the time now. Might need to get a backup bottle.

Okay. I tried Smut at a MnS awhile back and for some reason I just plain hated it. But for some reason I felt compelled to try it again, and snagged a bottle from 2008.

In the bottle: Really boozy.

On me: Still boozy, but not in a bad way. The musk that seemed out of control the first time I tried Smut is definitely tamer than I remember, or maybe two years of aging just does that. This is a super sexy, sugary, delicious skin scent, and if the 2010 version is the same, I'll need to stock up. I want to wear this a LOT.

Edit: the longer I wear this the better it gets. LOVE. I'm gonna slather the hell out of this tomorrow.

Edited by iiinterstate

Smut 06

Bottle: Kinda like a cherry-flavored jolly rancher.

Wet: Weird. It's sort of a waxy, boozy smell. It fades rather quickly.

Drydown: still fading....where did you go! I never really got a good whiff of it to be able to tell more.

In decant: Smells pretty good, actually.

Wet: Musk that works on me? Amazing…

Drydown: Too much musk. For those who like musk, this will be amazing for you, but it’s just not me.

Good Lord. SMUT 2010. No sooner then I received the bottle, that I just reordered two more. I fear running out of this. It always takes so long for my order to reach me as I am in Northern Ireland and they usually wait till they have other international orders to ship, plus the time it takes normally for them to mix.

I thought Snake Oil was my new best friend. Well, sorry Snakey, you have competition. :twisted: This is Snake Oil, dressed in crushed velvets and emeralds, meeting a lover by nightfall in a secret location near the Irish Sea.

Wearing it makes me feel conspiratol, sensual and prophetic. Go figure.

Hmmm... I got a decant of Smut over a year ago, and I'm unsure what year's blend it was.. but it was AMAZING. It was deep red in color and so red musky with fruity booze with throw for days. I was so excited to see it reissued this year.

But then.. Smut 2010 oil is pale, and scent lighter and it fades to a dusty plastic scent :o Please, BPAL gods, tell me it's going to change some with age? Why isn't it deep red? :sad:

PLEASE, if anyone knows which year's blend I might have had, let me know :beg:

'08 Blend:

In the decant, this smells like sweet red musk with booze underlying it. On my skin, this is really sweet, musky, and boozy. Ohhh my... If this continues to be this awesome, I may need to buy one bottle of the 2010 to use, and one to cellar as a backup. Except that there's a weirder sharper note, which might be the red musk, that seems to pop out and makes my nose curl a bit, though now that's appearing to go away after a half hour or so. I'm going to test this against my decant of the '10 blend when it arrives, see how it turns out. Till then, I'm on the fence.

Edited by Venneh

Smut 2010

Wow. This is great stuff. There is a little underlying sharpness, and it should have some cellaring time to smooth it out, but it's already a pretty amazing scent. I wore it, lightly applied (from experience), and I could smell it the next morning. Great longevity!

Smut '06, which I also have, I picked up around 2007. It was still really sharp, even then. It didn't become really beautiful until it hit the 3-year mark, around 2009. '10 is going to get there much faster. It's well on the way already :yum:

:wub:

This is fantastic! Wet, it is a very sweet grape-ish type of booze which is amazingly intoxicating. :yum: As it dries, the booze begins to become a little more musky and the sweetness starts to calm down. I literally cannot stop huffing my wrist, it is just so amazing. A bottle is going into my cart this very second!

ETA: The longer this is on my skin, the stronger it gets! :lovestruck:

Edited by musichappens

2010 decant

Red musk like whoa. Sweetened and slightly boozy red musk. It smells good, but I think it needs to sit in the dark and do its thing for a good long while before it reaches its peak. It's a intensely sharp and perfumey (and a little plasticy) right now.

As soon as I sniffed it I knew that I must get at least two more bottles of this. It's so perfectly my kind of scent. I'm not comparing the other oils, but it's in the same love, love, love category as SC:res and Khrysee from last year. But, dare I say it? I think I might've found my new true love with Smut '10. I keep snorting and huffing my tiny test patch and I can't get enough of it's sweet, warm, sexy decadence. :wub2:

Oh my stars! I have a bottle of 2008 Smut, which I don't wear often. Although I should adore it- musks, particulary red musk, sugars, and booze all love my skin, but the "smut" part of my 2008 Smut both attracts and repels me. I have received compliments when wearing it, but save it for going out to a bar, something of that nature. :twisted:

So it was almost an afterthought that I added a decant of Smut 2010 to the decant circle I joined. I just received my decant today, applied it, and WOWZA! Now this is what I wanted Smut to be like! It's still a gorgeous boozy musk, but it's sweeter than the 2008 version and is missing the "dirty raw sex" note that makes me so nervous about wearing 2008. Not only do I love this, my husband got home from work shortly after I wrist-tested my decant of 2010 and leaned in to really sniff and asked what scent I'm wearing today, because he loves it! Believe me, he never notices my perfume. That alone makes this multiple-bottle worthy. I'm so glad I added that decant or I'd never have experienced this version. Now.... two or three bottles?? :yum:

i have to admit, smut has been one of my bpalicorns since i started collecting this fall.

and one that i'm going to let go free unfortunately.

i was hoping for something well, smutty, i wanted dark sensual musks. this reminds me of light musks- white button downs when i wanted leather and lace. i guess that i really do need to just stick to the masculine musks.

2010 version - this smells like grape Kool-Aid. Very sugary, very sweet. I think my 2008 version is a lot deeper, musky and more interesting. It might be worth buying a bottle to age, but fresh, this is a one dimensional scent.

This review is for the 2010 version.

Pretty much as advertised. :) Lots of booze, various musks (red musk is the one that I really noticed), and some sugar to keep it nice and tasty (however, do not drink it!). I would wear this out to a bar or the coffee shop that we like to get a late-night dinner at, but only if the bf was driving. Once again, it's obvious that I amp BPAL's alcohol notes.

Smut 2010 - I have a bottle of the 2006 Smut and I tried out the 2008 Smut when it came out. I love Smut, but I had NO IDEA how much I was going to love this version of Smut. I don't know if the formulation changed or if maybe it's a bath variation, but my bottle of this year's Smut is so much better than any other Smut I've worn, including my beloved 2006 Smut. From the very first moment I apply it to my skin, the first thing I smell is sugar sweetness, almost like grape candy, but sexier. Then the musks and booze burst forward, but are still behind the sugar. This is definitely a boozy, musky scent that's covered with a thick layer of sugar, and for once, the sugar doesn't turn plastickey on me! I thought I wouldn't need a bottle since I already have Smut '06, but I need a bottle of this sugary sweet Smut. It's gorgeous! Super long wear length and really strong throw.

This review is of the 2006 luper

in the imp: lots of booze and musk! very sweet.

wet on skin: musk musk musk! booze is very light underneath the musk. Almost smells a tad fruity!

dry on skin: lots of musk and very little booze. Obviously, if you like musk, which I do, you'll enjoy this :D

the '10 version, in imp: yep, drunken snake oil, a little less spicy and more sweet. the musk reminds me of the musk in devil's night, which i guess makes sense as they are both described as 'swarthy.' must remember to pick up all scents with swarthy musk in description! on me, the sweet booziness hangs out for a few minutes before going totally rubbery. indeed, like condoms and vinyl sheets-rubbery. buuuut i have high hopes for this as it ages! i'll keep it around.

Smut '10

Huh, this one's definitely a morpher. In the imp I get sugary booze. Going on wet I get a freaking lovely mix of sugar syrup, booze, and a shot of musk. So nice. Drying down though.... Smut does the same thing to me that Now Winter Nights Enlarge did; it ended up a sickeningly sweet red musk. I think it might be the combination of sweetness mixed with red musk, but something about it just makes my stomach turn slightly.

It's throw and wear is amazing, just a drop of this makes you smell all 'smutty' for hours.

I looked up this scent on the Aging BPAL thread and apparently it ages very well, so I think I'll hang on to it for awhile. I'm hoping that aging it will knock down that weird sickly-sweet note that keeps popping up.

Smut '10

I think this needs a death match between O or Snake Oil. Let the sexiest survive!

On my skin, they are very similar. I do get more of a boozy, almost cherry, hint when it's on wet, but that dies down/nearly disappears upon dry down. Then it's all musky.

Throw is pretty good and it lasts an average amount.

It is definitely very sexy. It almost puts me in the mood just smelling it. I think this will be a bottle purchase to potentially age. I've read that some of the sugar comes out more with aging.

'10 Blend v. '08 Blend

So, I'm going with the '10 blend on one arm, and the '08 blend on the other.

The '10 blend, in the decant, is a bit heavier on the sugar. On my skin, it's the same musky boozy scent I get at first with the '08 blend. The '10 blend seems a lot sharper than the '08 blend at first, but they both become sweeter and boozier. Oh, I'm thinking I'm definitely going to need two bottles; one to use straight away, and one to age.