Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

What a great freakin’ word. BPAL LOVES TEH SMUT! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

I can't tell you how much I wanted to like this. I was ready to buy a bottle unsniffed, just from the description and other people's rave reviews...it sounds like EXACTLY my kind of scent.

Well....there's a lesson here for me (sadly, again) about my weird body chemistry/weird nose/whatever. First try with Smut: I don't get sugar, or booze, or anything except this really funky musky smell that is actually makes me woozy, but not in a good way. Ended up washing it off. :D

Second try, today: I get a little of the sugary boozy smell, and overall it's a better experience, but there's still this one note that smells...well, smutty, but again, not in a good way. There's this weird dark note that is just not working out for me. It smells...interesting. But it doesn't smell good on me.

I am very, very sad about this.... I know I'll give it another chance (just in case?), but this may be a swapper for me. :P

As far as I can tell, I've never written a review for Smut, which is weird because it was one of my first BPAL loves.

When I first had a bottle last year, I overdid it. Think high school boys who bathe in Polo every day. Yeah. That's what I did with Smut. I burned myself out on it a wee bit, and as a result I don't wear it that much any more. But whenever I do put it on (I wear it specially for my husband because it's his favorite BPAL scent on me), I still love it.

It's not really very sweet on me, it mostly smells like boozy musk. Emphasis on boozy. I know vanilla isn't in the description, but I'd swear there's something creamy in it like vanilla. It's smooth. It smells naughty and sexy.

It's freaky strong and lasts forever, too. I used to put it on before going to bed, and when I woke up in the morning it was still there.

I got a decant of the 07 version to compare it to my 06 bottles, and it's different. Maybe it's just the decant I have, I don't know. But 07 isn't nearly as strong and is creamier and a lot sweeter than 06 -- it's so sweet that when it's wet it doesn't even smell like Smut to me. The 06 version is so boozy it's almost murky, and 07 isn't. When it's dry I can tell it's still the same scent, but if I had gotten this oil out of one of my 06 bottles I would think there was something wrong with it. To be honest, I think I kinda like the 07 version better because it's not so bold. But I got used to 06 and that's what I'm expecting when I smell Smut.

Edited by filigree_shadow

Oh me like me like!!! I got this as a free goody with one of my ebay auction wins. It scared me at first, looking so dark and smarmy in the bottle. On it smells like a party! The musks smell a little green to me, almost like fresh marijuana, and the sweetness smells of fruited wine that has been spiked with something a little more hard, like a whiskey. It makes me ache for my college days that have long past me by, and brings back memories of drunken kisses with frat boys whose names I can no longer remember.

Edited by Mimicake

Smut 2007

I had high hopes for this one... but a weird plastic smell ruins it. :P Stupid skin chemistry! Under that burnt latex I can smell faintly those lovely notes that other reviewers have described. Unfortunately Smut smells funky on me, so probably it goes to the swap pile. Luckily there are so much other BPALs to love!

it's sweet like brown sugar, incensey, and I got a whiff of post-sex bedroom in there. very sexy.

edit: I got a big compliment on this from my best friend who said I smelled really good after a big close hug. later that night, mischievious and dirty things went on with a guy, and he didn't mention it, but he kept at the places where I applied it. haha.

and my roommate asked to borrow it today. :P she is my guinea pig with new scents.

Edited by La Soldier

This is for the 2006 edition.

In the bottle it resembles Snake Oil, but a bit darker and muskier. On it immediately becomes a lot muskier and there's just a hint of booze and also incense. Warm, sweet and sexy. It doesn't seem to be overly strong on my skin but when I walk around I can smell it in the air around me. This seems to happen a fair bit with me and musk (particularly red) unless there's something like dragon's blood to keep it on my skin.

I love this, and I am so glad I managed to get a bottle. However I fear one bottle just isn't going to do it! I'd also love to be able to try fresh Smut since this is beautifully aged and quite mellow.

Not sure which one I inherited but either way I'm in love with it.

In the bottle: Root beer and brown sugar. Sweetness in a bottle.

Wet on skin: Sugary yet with a boozy sexy undertone. Not overwhelming but warm and inviting.

Dry on skin: Lives up to its name, the little minx. Maintains its wet scent throughout and never lets up. It's not a sucker punch of a scent though. Yet it doesn't let you forget it either. I wrote on my LJ that if a man walked by slathered in this stuff they'd have to remove me with force. It's just that good to me.

Smut 07. Guh! :D :D

Wet on the skin, this smells for all the world like rich, very dark liqueur chocolate. Utterly and completely incredible. I'm a tad wary of musks, not being quite sure yet if certain varieties are what clashes with my skin chemistry and turns otherwise magnificent blends into horrid baby-powder.

But oh OH OH, the musk in Smut is clearly not the culprit - it's been on my skin long enough and is still luscious. This dry down is perfect - the musks are almost sweaty, heavy on the skin, and the patchouli is sultry without any of the "dirty hippie" smell that I can't stand.

This is flank spankin' filthy sex-in-a-bottle, and the throw is incredible from only the merest dab. :P

Now to pray like mad that there'll be a re-release of Smut in the future.

I'm not sure which version I have; what I've got is a testable sniffie that was decanted and hand-labeled. I suspect, from reading reviews, that it may be the most recent. On the other hand, I almost don't care which version of it I have; I just want more.

In the imp: Foody, musky, thick.

Wet: Oh, no, please don't be turning into just plain cologne!

Drydown: Once the perfumey thing goes away (which may be what everybody else reads as "boozy"), it's musk and slightly spicy and a bit fiery, even and vanilla/tonka sweet like Snake Oil and ROWR. (No, crows don't ordinarily go "rowr," but we're excellent mimics.) A small bit on the inside of one elbow throws hard and lasts ages. I even get a smoky waft from time to time.

Verdict: I've seen Fenris Wolf described as "an instant pants-remover," and I would tend to put Smut in that category myself. If you tried and didn't enjoy Smut, please send yours to me for carefully controlled scientific testing. :P

Smut is exactly what it says on the tin: swarthy, smutty musk! All I smelled when I tried it was strong, dark musk. Almost dirty, but in the good way. Not at all for me (which I should have been able to figure out from the description) but if you think you'll like it based on the description, you're probably right.

I bought Smut 07 from someone on the forum selling it just because I liked the name :P .

However, that turned out to be wonderful since I LOVES TEH SMUT! It's gorgeous. Very musky and dark (if this scent were a colour I'd say a deep burgandy) but has a boozeyness in the middle and sugary sweetness lurking behind. This smells great on me and I do get quite a lot of compliments wearing it. It has fantastic throw & staying power. It makes me feel sexy and more confident. This is the SEX. Seriously I think everyone should at least try an imp of this because it is the most obviously sexy smell I've ever smelt :D .

I wanted to come back and amend my review, because I believe I have finally come to peace with Teh Smutz. We seem to have this crazy on-again, off-again relationship... I buy a bottle, swap it off, decide that I miss it, swap for another bottle, put it away and forget about it... etc., etc.

When I first tried Smut, I kept identifying the top notes as sasparilla, though I think what I'm smelling is whatever boozy note Smut contains (which, to my nose, smells much like a topnote in Eat Me -- someone mentioned amaretto?) in conjunction with the musks. For me, this unusual topnote does really quiet down with age, and the sweetness seems to as well. Try as I might, I cannot figure out what types of musk are represented in this blend, though I don't think there is any red or white (which, of course, I'm most familiar with). This has great throw, and you only need a little!

I find this to be a great layering scent for kicking up another blend a notch or two. :P

Edited by PhantasmMysteria

OMG! I finally got to try SMUT thanks to the enabling skills of Funkmoppet :P

The 06 version -

This is Snake Oils Older Sister that likes to sit in public with no knickers on and her legs spread! :D

Cheeky slattern that she is, you just want to have your way with her over and over..........sorry where was I? Oh yes, it is beautiful, the oil itself is almost black, dark, rich and with such amazing depth.

It certainly has a feeling of chocolate, booze and sex to me. Once it has dried on my skin it becomes sweet and creamy but with a strong sex kick. If anything can make your loins wet this will be it!!! :D

:P Oh wow Smut is just as sexy and provocative as people say it is! I can't discern musks yet but whichever is used in Smut is the one that I love. It's Snake Oil with added the added spice and sweetness of foody scents. Why oh why must this be limited edition because I want to straight up bathe in it!

I won this from the lab through ebay, but they didn't put which year it was from. I got it with HGM so I'm assuming it's the 06, but I can't tell!

In the bottle: Mmmm, a little more sugary than I prefer my musks, but that is just...mmmm! A little sherry-glass worth of some kind of booze sitting on a side table in the background, but definately sugar/musk here!

On: WOAH, sugar! Smells as if I just poured melted sugar all over the back of my hand. For the first five minutes I get a wierd peanut butter type smell and then it goes...well, Not Good. Not entirely sure what is mucking up here but it's definately a sweet note. No sign of booze anywhere and all the musk seems to be doing is turning "sugar" into "GRRRR, eat-your-face, SUGAR!" *cries*

Drying down: After about twenty minutes it's settled down a bit. Getting a kind of grown up peanut butter (after that wierd middle stage I'm kind of happy to smell of PB again!) If I don't stick my nose directly to the back of my hand I get a bit more boozy, adult-y kind of a dark scent but it's still too caramal-y for me I think. I was hoping to get a tiny little bit of tobacco or deep musk or some kind of booze from it, but no - sugar all round. It's not white sugar at all - more like proper brown sugar that turns to sludge when you get it wet (in a good way! My description skillz are not as leet as everyone elses!) Twisted sugar!...And now burning sugar...errr

May try this on once more but it just seems too sweet for me. I'll stick with Kali for my sexxay, walk-all-over-you-boots, rolling-in-the-sheets scent.

As a scary side note - I dug out my imp of Scherezade to compare (as other reviewers have done) which was terrifying in itself (I know I have way too many imps when I start loosing them!) Scherezade smells...odd. I know I havn't smelt it for a good few months, but it gone...light and kind of flowery? Maybe I'm finally picking out the saffron. If not, then Smut has a lot less red musk than I thought it did!

Bottle: Boozy and sweet

Wet: Boozy and sweet

Drydown: Smells similar to Snake oil, to me, but sweeter and boozier. I'm not always good at the notes when it's such a complex scent.

Another great scent, that's not for me. 3 outta 5

I think this is for Smut '06 (from the pics I've seen!)

I *love* the name! On me it smells of a cardboard box wet with purple. Very grape (I wonder if it's the boozy scent but bordello doesn't smell grape on me from the quick test I did of it).

I like it.. purple grape cardboard box is the best I can describe how it smells on me :P I don't think I'll wear it often but I can see someone else loving it. (like Denmother *see review above* who wrote the most fantasic review and I'm jealous it smells so good on her! lol)

Added 10/12: So since I am new to bpal and oils (except for like kai and child) I didn't realize that rolling it between your palms for a little bit and tipping it all around and shaking it and holding it a bit to warm it up (gawd.. I'm going to end up at bingo with a treasure troll ritual when I'm old :/) .. makes it smell better, blends it and basically made it a lot more smooth.

ANYWAY.. um wow. This is really really yummy. Very sexy musk sugared with a touch of booze. Pretty much covers it. it still has a little bit of strange scent that I can't put my finger on but I know I'm going to be wearing this quite a lot now since it's pretty addictive. It has really good staying power (one of the few in my gigantic new collection that doesn't either fade in about 20 minutes to zippity or becomes a faint skin musk type - possibly since it's aged?) and the sillage is wonderful. I just slathered myself in it to go sleep and have naughty dreams with. :D

Edited by Elizabethm

In the bottle: I'm really liking the mix, which is very sweet and feral all at once. All three notes are easily discernible, but blend well. Wet: It smells a little like root beer. This is a surprise. I am wondering what sort of booze that is. It also smells rather vanilla. Neither root beer, nor sarsparilla, nor vanilla are listed, some my confusion is understandable. I like musks generally, and this one is pleasant enough, but there are other musks they make that are less rare and as good, really. Reminds me a little of boomslang in a good way, only a touch root beer instead of a touch chocolate. At heart, it's a foody musk. Dry: it really blossoms, the nuances opening up to reveal layers in the musk. I'm liking this and can see why it was popular, though it is a tiny bit odd on my skin, indefinably so, clearly a personal body chemistry thing. It's more comforting, then sexy on me though. In all, there are comparable scents I like better, but this really isn't bad.

Edited by Lethran

I LOVE this one, but it's somewhat difficult to describe...I get mainly a warm, musky, syrupy smell that is uber sultry and seductive - this is a slow, smooth, heavy, and decadent scent. Seduction in a bottle. I don't get a whole lot of booze - it's certainly not that alcoholic conflagrant bite in Grog, or that hot Bourbon boozy burn from Jazz funeral. No, this is perhaps a well blended sophisticated sort of mixed drink - smooth and dark and sugary, without any bite. This is one helluva sexy scent and I will get a ton of use out of this one. I can see myself running out very rapidly and requiring a big bottle purchase in the very near future! Well done, labbies! Very well done! :P

in the bottle thick, dark, boozy. yep, it's boozy. boozy boozy.

wet on skin sweet and a bit cloying with absolutely tons of throw, even with the tiny dabs i put on. i was afraid of the boozy. *has bad mad sweeney flashbacks*

dry on skin holy. crap. this is... this is snake oil but without the ick! that's not exactly fair, because snake oil is okay and i tend to get lots of compliments when i'm wearing it, but there's something about (fresh) snake oil that really doesn't quite do it for me. but smut does! this is fantastic! it's sweet without being foody, musky without being rank. it's dark and earthy, warm and sexy. the booziness never really makes it onto my skin, which is fine with me. completely, completely fabulous. oh, yeah, i love teh smut!

eta i find that this smells darkest and sexiest when i'm ovulating and menstruating, which is odd, as i don't usually have huge leaps in chemistry due to hormones. oh, smut, why do i not have gallons of you?

Edited by ravenfeathers

Smut 06!

Disclaimer: I tried this on immediately after getting it out of the cold, cold mailbox.

In the bottle, this is unadulterated heaven - it's like a heavier, darker Snake Oil, without the plastic layer that Snake Oil has.

When first applied, it smells just the same. Gorgeous, rich sugar - brown sugar heavy on the molasses - and musk. It's a gourmand scent, though not foody. The booze is an afterthought, like a sweet, hot dessert drink with a touch of cream liqueur.

Annoyingly, my skin eats the sugar in less than 5 minutes and all that's left is a deep, sweet musk. It's still nice; it just isn't as wonderful as it was wet. There's red musk in this; it has the same husky, dry scent that the musk in Krampus has.

I might try layering this with a straight vanilla/sugar scent to see if I can get the initial stage of omg loooove to last.

Update: Now that it's had a chance to warm up in my house for a few days, it smells even better. Love this stuff.

Gotta say, it really is smutty - I wore it out for the first time (just to a friend's house), and as time wore on, I realized it smelled just a little too sexy-dirty for polite company.

Edited by suileach

i love the way smut smells in the bottle. unfortunately it smells terrible once it hits my skin, going from thick, rich, brown sugared musky goodnesss to the acrid smell of burnt sugar. there's something bitter underneath, as well. usually i can pull off musks like no other but apparently not in smut. :P after a while the acrid smell gives way to slightly melted plastic. ugh.

Smut confuses me; I'll take one whiff and hate it, then I'll take another and love it. Right now I'm loving it. It takes about a half an hour to sweeten up, but when it does it's delicious. As far as throw goes, it's a clinger -- it hugs my skin, inviting someone to get closer. Some of the sexier BPALs sometimes make me scratch my head, as I don't think they smell very seductive, but with Smut I can definitely see it. (Or smell it, I guess.) I would recommend this to those who don't usually like the foody blends -- this one is very evocative of food, but in a sexy, sophisticated way. And I would save this one for the evening.

4/5

(this is for the 2006 version)

Smut instantly reminds me of a muskier, boozier version of Snake Oil. I don’t get so much sweetness from it but it has a while till drydown. As it begins to dry on my skin there is a sweetness emerging amidst the various musks. It’s very honeyed. I think this is preferable for wearing at night and also in colder weather. I tested it in springtime and think it’s a tad too heavy. Amazing sillage and lasting power though.

Initial review: this is the 2006 Smut, the One True Smut, the Holy Grail of Smut, the...<coughs>

In the imp: POW. Man this is strong. It's like Youth Dew (the original version).

Wet: sexy, sexy strong, strong unsubtle MUSK.

Drydown: musky sugary musk.

This is not subtle in the slightest.

It smells good and lasts a long time, but I don't think I could wear it to work.

ETA: I now have a decant of the 2008 Smut, and it smells to me just like the original. I LOVE this stuff, but I continue to believe I would have trouble wearing it at the office.

Edited by Czarina