Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Smut! Smut! Smut! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

i hope it's okay for me to write a new review here for a new vintage? my previous review was for the 2007 version.

smut 08

in the bottle oh! sharper than the aged version. and boozy! woo!
wet on skin if there's one complaint i have with the 07 version, it's that it has a few brief minutes of smelling like a used rubber, which amuses me, but isn't particularly nice. the 06 version doesn't do this and i'm pleased to note that the 08 version doesn't either. (at least, not yet....) it's sugar sugar sugar musk sugar booze sugar and musk, everything that i love about smut.
dry on skin mmmm, smut....

eta some thoughts i ended up putting in another thread:
-this year's smut is distinctly PINK, while my other two bottles are brown; i don't know if this is due to aging or a difference in components.
-i got something crazy like 13 hours wearlength out of 08. O_o
-this year's version (whether it's different or just fresh) is quickly becoming my favourite of the three. it seems sweeter, crisper, and more boozy/less musky, but still absolutely rutting with musk. Edited by ravenfeathers

bottle: sweet and boozy musk, exactly like the description. (this is the 2008 version)

wet: this is really like being hit in the face with musk. tipsy, wobbly, flirty musk. super-sexy.

dry: this dries sweet and boozy and slightly musky. more like the after-feel of really satisfying sex. :P

this is 2008 version, and i should say i've never tried ANY version before.

in the bottle: sexy! like booze and musk, as described, and in the BEST possible combination, i might add!

wet on skin: the booze comes out strong, reminds me of red wine. it's a soft smell, though. like red wine without the sharpness of alcohol, if that makes sense. :P

dry down: oh MAN is this good! sweet without being cloying, a hint of sugar without being foody, a skin musk that comes from a good romp on an otherwise lazy afternoon :D

in all: sexy. as. HELL. i am sooooo getting a backup bottle! :D

...so good. That could sum it up. There's not a phase I dislike. It makes me kind of introverted, though, because it smells so good I'll just get lost smelling it and thinking about things :P

In the bottle, I was unsure, but knowing how BPAL scents can morph on me, I put it on anyway... It disappeared almost completely, and the little bit that did linger was... fresh sweat? Not stale BO stink, but fresh from exercising, hot, tired and pumped with endorphins sweat.

One for the swap pile, sadly.

I can see why this is so popular! I'm a big musk fan but not so much of booze, which is why it was a relief to find out that on me, Smut is far more about a sweetened musk than about AA-meeting-smell. It's not very long lasting in itself but it does leave behind a faint musky smell. Lurverly!

Oh yeah, I LOVE teh Smut! I went through 4 imps of this that I had gotten in swaps, have no clue what year they were, but oh boy, they were good.

The '08 version does seem to have a much longer wear length, which is just fine with me. I bought three bottles already and will probably end up with a couple more before they disappear again.

I think I'd have to say that this one IS my favorite of all the BPALS I have tried so far. I find I wear this much more than anything else. :P

Smut 08 bottle from the lab

Oh, yes, this is a heady, sexy scent! In the bottle, the boozy scent is strong, but, on application, the musk comes out much more and leaves a stronger hold on my skin than does the booze.

I'm also picking up some of the sugary scent on dry down; wisps of it sometimes remind me of the sugary vanilla in Snake Oil, which is odd since they are such different scents and only share that vanilla/sugar connection. I really love Smut! :P

On me, this has slightly lower-than-average throw, and it lasts about four or five hours. I wish it would last a bit longer, but it just gives me an excuse to re-apply and to slather!

2008 version:

In bottle/imp: Sweet but dirty musk.

Immediately on skin: Musk… rather dry but sweet too. It must be the different ones all working together on my skin. There’s definitely a boozy note, but there’s also something dirty… Makes me picture an oiled up, hot stripping mechanic or something. But in a good way, of course.

After a little while: This is a very heavy sex scent. If you walk into a bedroom where you know a couple of people (or possibly a group) were going at it for the past 8 hours and had some incense burning and open bottles of booze lying around, this scent is what you’d expect it to smell like. It’s deep, smoky, musky, and thick. And dirty… very very dirty.

Overall Impressions: Now I know why people say this isn’t a work appropriate scent. It’s sweaty, hot sex bottled... not the sweet kind of sex at all. I don’t know if I could pull this scent off, but I want to try.

Last night I got in bed wearing Smut '06, and my husband, who I thought was sleeping, asked what I was wearing. I said "SMUT" :P , and he said "slut?". So, I corrected him. Then I told him it was a decant I got a while ago, and he asked if I could get more of it because he really likes it and hopes I can still get some. I guess I'll be adding a few bottles of Smut to my next order!

It smells good and sexy on me and I hope the new one smells this good, if not I'm sure some aging will work.

Edited to review Smut 2008: This is even better than my decant of '06. It's sweeter, muskier, and longer lasting. I'm so happy that I ordered two bottle right away, and may need a few more. I can honestly say that this will get as much love and attention as my first love, Snow White.

Edited by Cheri

This is the '08 version. In the imp this is musky musky musky...and a little sweet.

It's similar on my skin, but a little less sweet and a little more boozy. It's definitely a sexy scent. Maybe a little too sexy! I'm not sure when I would ever wear this without people thinking I'd just come back from some kind of scandalous romp!

EDIT: 2011 Version:

Wow, back in the day, this was a bit much for me, but now I have seen the light :D

In the bottle, an amalgamation of sexy scents-sweet, boozy, sugary, fruity, musky, incensey-a bit of everything. Same on my skin. Hard to describe. It's like I said-it's a bit of everything-sugary sweet, rich and fruity, devilishly boozy, sexed up musky, and cloaked in a veil of mysterious incense. Sexy AND delicious. I love it!

Edited by Suu4LC

This one smells a bit sweeter to me than the version I have, which is the original Smut. I got a sniffy of it with a purchase on LJ, and it's sitting on my desk making my corner of the room smell particularly nice. This is a strong scent that I have to be in the mood for, but it's *so good* when the time is right for it. Delicious and very sexy.

i just got my 2008 bottle and decided to test it...

smells pretty and musky in the bottle

wet and 20 minutes into dry down: musk and grapes?

co-worker: "it smells like fruit over here"

another 5 minutes, it appears the grape smell is dying down a bit and i'm getting the sweet musky scent everyone else is mentioning.

i'm certainly curious to hold on to this and see how it ages.

2008 version

I threw a bottle of this into an order, mostly on a whim and because how can I go wrong with swarthy musks?

Bottle: Red musk. Or at least the fruity-grapey-wine smell I associate with other blends with red musk (War).

Wet: RED MUSK hello. Maybe something sweet or boozey?

Dry: Red musk, softening a bit. Not getting booze or sugar. But I like red musk, so I'm good with that.

Red musk, red musk... why must you be so un-musky, so fruity instead?

Out of the imp, that's what I got... fruity, fruity musk, sort of Midnight Kiss-ish. For a moment, a powdery musk tried to surface, but it got the beatdown from that red, red musk.

But it actually got interesting after a while. After an hour or so, it turned into this warm cloud of red muskyness that isn't bad, really.

And this actually got my first compliment from a stranger while wearing BPAL. I stopped at Dunkin' Donuts on my way to work, and the guy behind the counter said "Incense! Do you smell that? Have you been burning incense?" I said no... but I am wearing perfume, and I held out my hand for him to sniff. "Nag Champa!" he said, all excited. I just looked at him, like wha? "Nag Champa! It smells like the Nag Champa incense I burn! Is there Nag Champa in that?" Um, I don't think so... but thanks? Still, it made me smile, 'cause I actually got a reaction out of someone (and a cute someone, too). :P

At the end of the day (and amazingly, it's still floating with me, this big cloud of Smuttyness), I like Smut, but the thing is, it's the sort of smell that would be really awesome if I was going out clubbing, going out to dance and try to pick up a guy. Unfortunately, I never, ever do that. So I don't really think I have a reason for wearing this, any appropriate occasion for it.

Ooooooh! Me love Smut! Thick, musky, sweet, heavenly. VERY sexy! Took a few minutes to go sweet on my skin, but that sex appeal is oozing in the backround. Yum.

In the bottle: Sweet, dark boozy musk!

Wet: Less boozy, still quite sweet, and muskier. Earthy too - patchouli?

Dry: A little sassafras might be emerging. It's not medicinal, and only a little foody. Just sort of a hint of herbal-root beer.

Summary: Mildly sweet, herbal-licorice, dark musk, patchouli. Good throw and amazing lasting power. Much gentler and yet sexier than in the bottle.

Not my style, but I can see the appeal.

Edited by fairnymph

In the bottle:

Very faint. A little boozy.

Wet on skin:

A little more medicinal, still sweet and a teeny boozy.

Dry on skin:

Musky but not really a dark musk. Fairly light. A little sweet. Pretty nice, but I'll probably want to layer something with it.

In the scent locket:

A lot sweeter and a little boozy. Not nearly as musky! Hmm. I used a blotter pad that came with this scent locket (not a bpal locket), I wonder if different types of fabric will change the scent.

I'm going to wait and see what some aging does to this.

I've tried two versions: I have a bottle from 2006, and I had an imp of unknown origin. This review is of the 2006 bottle.

The original imp seemed slightly sweeter than my bottle. The bottle had an almost peanut-like quality to my nose, once I put it on my skin, whereas the imp did not. It was a little sweeter and smoother, and it must've been from 2007.

This is a dark, dark brown oil. When I screw off the lid, there's a tiny bit of stickiness - exactly like dried sugar. I've noticed this in bpal blends that list sugar as a note, so I think the lab's sugar component must really contain sugar.

In the bottle, it smells a little aggressive. Musky, a little boozy and sweet, kind of nutty and kind of chemical-ly. Not horrible, but a bit weird. I poured a decant earlier today, and it released a lovely, surprisingly strong, and distinctly boozy cloud. I think perhaps it's the red musk that's giving it this chemical-like smell in the bottle.

On the skin, it quickly gets richer and loses the weird chemical note. Like every review of this ever has said, Smut is the perfect name. It's deep, it's down, it's dirty. It's dark musks with a husky edge, with a liberal shot of dark rum. The sugar adds just enough lightness to help smooth it all out. Underneath it all, there's still something just slightly nutty.

Someone once described this as the dark cousin to Snake Oil, and I'd definitely agree with that. Snake Oil is in an unusual class of its own, and this has some very similar characteristics. But where SO is sultry, creamy, and sweet, this is dark, gritty, vice-ridden. I find I don't wear this often on its own, but it's fantastic for layering. The throw is good, and the wear life about average. This is a blend where less is more. Use a light hand, and I think you'll appreciate it more.

Try it if you like: Perversion, Snake Oil, Temple Viper, Krampus, Debauchery

Edited by naeelah

This is boozy, sweet and every so fantastic! I feel naughty and fun wearing this blend. It's not too boozy that I worry about people thinking I've had one too many, and it's also not so cloying that I can't handle the sweetness of it. It's fun and flirty and feels very pink.

I ordered a decant of SMUT 2008, then received testable sniffies of the two previous vintages, so I'm reviewing all three here.

In vial:

2006 - red musk and sugar and booze - just like it says. But is that a hint of patchouli?

2007 - sweeter and fruitier than 2006.

2008 - quite like 2007, but I think a little fruitier. No patchouli.

Wet on skin:

2006 - very dark and sultry, almost woody, and quite sweet.

2007 - also dark, sweet and woody, but a tad lighter and fresher than 2006. There's an unexpected hint of vanilla, which is yummy!

2008 - still fruity. It's not quite as omgSEX as the previous vintages, perhaps because it's fresh?

Dry on skin:

2006 - DIRTY! Rougher and dryer than 2007. It's dark, woody and boozy, and very, very sexy!

2007 - sweet, woody musk over a background of dark booze. Sexy, sultry, and definitely not worksafe (except in a very few professions!). If a man walked past wearing this, I might just have to rip his clothes off there and then!

2008 - DIRTY! Quite similar to the others after all. The sweetness and fruitiness fades quickly on me, leaving a dark, raw musk that is very sexy.

(all of them) On me, the sweetness wears off fairly soon, but what's left is the sexiest thing I ever smelled! This should come with a warning on the bottle: "Don't use it if you don't mean it!"

ETA: there's a definite note of vanilla in the 2008 version, which has now aged for 3 months in the imp. The musk is less raw and the whole scent is more rounded and sweeter.

Edited by Lyrical

This reminds me a lot of Ravenous (orange & patchouli). In fact, I'm getting the same headache inducing plastic smell off of it.

Oh, that and spiced latex. :P

Well, I guess now I know what to skip over next year.

Sigh, Smut does not work on me. It goes the same weird way the O does, a background of chemical weirdness that reminds me of toilet bowl cleaner.

I guess I'm getting an idea of the scents that don't work with my chemistry. It's the ones that supposedly smell sexual. Thank god for "Glowing Vulva."