Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Smut! Smut! Smut! Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes.

Oh man this is nice - I got a partial of the 08 version from a forumite. I was trying to apply some before heading out to an informal meeting, and I managed to slop quite a bit onto my wrists (and my desk!). A couple of people at the meeting commented that I smelled really good.

Smut is a perfectly proportioned mix of sugar, musk, and florals, so that one doesn't overwhelm the others. It's not whoa-sex on me, but I'm okay with that. I can detect the booze as well, but it's not doing much besides tempering the other notes. I don't normally do well with musky scents, but the sugar in this balances it out so nicely that I'm considering getting a bottle from the lab. Mmm, smut!

Edited to add description. Edited by sprocket21

First time I tried it I didn't know what to think about it. There was something really weird in that bottle. On skin, it was a strange musky sugary scent, which I personally wasn't thrilled with but I got loads of compliments wearing it. Everybody seemed to like it.

The only thing I really cared about concerning Smut was the drydown - just divine, but it turned to this phase after a couple of hours (yes, this one lasts forever) . However, there was still a note in there I could not recognize, something I have never smelled before, which was just plain weird. But I grew to like it very much. Now it's one of my favorites. But this is not the end..

I left the bottle at my boyfriend's and one day he came to me smelling absolutely out of this world. I was enchanted. I asked him what he was wearing, he said Smut. My jaw dropped. It suited him perfectly. I would never have considered Smut a guys' scent. But it really works! It's musk with an edge, a muted sweetness, but not cloying. It's a masterpiece.

Edited by Kosyena

I really wanted to like this, and I liked how it smelled in the bottle. On my skin, though, straight body odor. Not a keeper for me.

I prefer my '08 decant to my '07 bottle. For some reason I got no sweetness at all in the '07 version. '08 actually has noticeable sugar, which is nice, but it still doesn't work for me. I think it's the combination of the booze with a darker musk, I just find it really odd and unpleasant. The drydown is nicer (I couldn't even wear '07 long enough for it to dry) but I think I will just give up on Smut now.

2006 Smut: Very similar to Snake Oil but, dare I say, better? Seriously good stuff

2008: Smells like a musky cinnamon/gingerbread? I'm almost worried I got a mislabeled bottle!

Edited by Josh

SMUT 2008

In Bottle: Sweet musk

On Skin: I love Smut, how could you not? It is so sexy and pretty at the same time. The sugar is so sticky sweet, the booze is heavy fruit and thick and the musk is so inviting and sensuous. Smut is one of my favorite scents to wear to the club because it just smells so damn good and everyone wants to know what it is… and I get to tell them: SMUT! I have my bottles from 2006, and a decant from 2007 and I’d have to say they’re all pretty darn similar. Pure smutty goodness! Strong throw and average to long wearlength.

Whew mama! This scent is all dark side!

Smut is definitely musky, with the red musk most noticeable to me. The sweet sugar thickens the smoky throw even more. There is also a touch of almost....tobacco or patchouli or something, it's got a hint of woodiness that makes it dirty.

It's very intense, I'm guessing it could be a powerful sex-magnet type of scent but I have yet to test it out (the man will be home soon, I'll have to see if he likes)!

Maybe I just don't have a nose for it, but I am not smelling booze. I don't think.

The longer I have it on, the more I like it. I may have to dive at a bottle last-minute....

Smut 08 is just as bad on my skin as Smut 06 unfortunately (I've been having a "musk moment" recently and thought I would give it a go). I still smell peanuts (that will be the red musk then), and then a headache inducing almost plastic smell drying down to a thin white musk. This all just smells so wrong on me :P

There is something strangely incense-like about this one. It reminds me of a new age/occult bookstore that I go to sometimes. :P The sugar is nice, but everything else about this one is off with me.

Smut 08.

In the vial: Whoa! Very boozy... I actually feel a little tipsy. There's something fruity hiding in here.. maybe grape? It's sweet, but with a very sharp alcohol edge.

On, wet: Still very boozy. Not a scent I would wear to work or around my family. There's also something sexual smelling in here that I'm assuming is the musk. Overall something great for the horizontal mambo, but not one I'd feel comfortable wearing for much else.

Dry: The musk comes out a little bit more, and now it's a drunken orgy. :P Throw is very strong.

Later: Smut sweetens as it dries, and the fruit comes out to play again. The booze and musk has faded and made Smut presentable (phew!), though still suggestive. I like this MUCH better! Actually, I can't stop huffing my wrist.

Unfortunately, my skin does its usual evil thing and eats all the smutty goodness within a few hours (though I didn't put much on). However, some Smut that had transferred onto my PJ's was still very much there the next day and smelled WONDERFUL... sweet and heady, rather like stargazer lilies.

Overall: I'm on the fence. If it stayed all booze and sex, I'd rarely wear it. If the sweet and slightly boozy scent stuck around on my skin, I'd buy a bottle. If it smelled like stargazer lilies on my skin I'd buy a gallon. As it is, I think I think Smut merits a few more tests.

Edited because Terr is dumb and just retested Red Lantern, and it is clearly the culprit of the lily smell, not Smut. -headdesk-

Edited by terrenity

Wet on my skin, Smut '08 is a lot of booze and a little sugar. It reminds me of a GC, Grog maybe. Dry, it's musk and booze and no sugar. I love it.

Smut 2008

I took a risk when ordering this because it didn't seem to be the type of scent I normally wear. But after 3 strike outs on BPAL's, I finally picked a winner. I am not good at describing scents and picking out notes. Others have done that well here. No peanut butter on me at all. Starts off a bit sweet and then dries down to a smokey sweetness. Not overbearing as I would have gotten a headache. The best part about Smut is that my husband noticed for the first time ever in our 31 years of marriage! That is enough for me to keep this around.

(2008)

Whew, this smelled all right in the imp, kind of dark and mysterious, but on my skin... uh, not so much. Read on...

It's very strange... at first, like dirty, cheap incense in sketchy shops where they sell pipes and dead-head stuff. There's also a hint of icky citrus, like old, sticky, dried lemon pledge. And maybe I'm finally experiencing the cat pee phenomenon. There's something distinctly sweet and ammoniac about it.

Ok, that's enough, I must not be worthy of TEH SMUT. Disgusting on me. :P

ETA: OMG, a mere 10 minutes later (30 minutes of wear) it's full fledged, aged cat pee. I had no idea what that meant before. I do now. MUST WASH.

Edited by Pika

As soon as I smelled it at ECWC in February, I knew I had to buy a bottle. I can't believe I haven't formally reviewed Smut until now. This is one of those oils I put on when I want to feel sexy and playful. If we're going out to dinner or for drinks, this is the first thing I reach for. It's warm and sweet and definitely musky on me. There's almost a deep, dark cherry scent going on here. Smut has decent throw, and lasts a good long time. It smells really good once my body gets warm, too, like if we're in a crowded bar or dancing. YUM.

I have to be REALLY careful whenever I purchase any BPAL blend that has strong plum, cherry, or SUGAR notes. They all tend to turn ridiculously sweet, in a bad way. Like, scratch-n-sniff sticker. This smelled like that, only amplified by 100x by the strong booze notes, which are enhanced by my skin.

Yuccccckmo.

Wet: whoa; I don't know what to think; it does remind me of a slut, I mean, smut...

Dry: I love how this dried down; it's a skin scent, and for once the musk doesn't smell like power on me...different because I love food scents, but this is really nice...

ADDED April 17:

Wet: incredibly swoon worthy; I normally detest musks, but the sugar and booze is predominant; I want to drink myself and get slutty..er..I mean, smutty!

In the imp: MUSK!

Wet: Wait, where did it go?? There's nothing, literally no scent at all. Did my skin eat it in the 15 seconds it took me to swipe, cap the imp, and sniff? How *weird*.

Drydown: Powdery, faintly spicy musk, with absolutely no throw. What little I do get smells like it could be very sexy but it disappears the moment it touches my skin no matter how much I slather. I have to practically drown myself in it to get a whiff of anything at all, and used nearly 1/3 of the imp just to properly test it. This has the potential to be really wonderful, but my skin drinks it down faster than someone guzzling water in the desert.

In Vial: Sweet, candy like

Wet: Berry candy, maybe strawberry

Dry: Now this smells like dark vanilla with berries.

I could have sworn I reviewed this already, but I guess I didn't! I was so on the fence with this one. I love it in the bottle, but on me, it is very overpowering, strong, and in your face musky, and well, smutty. I don't dislike it, and it dries down into something 'OK' on me, a kind of spicy, incensy floral, though incense is not listed. This to me is like MoM and Mme Moriarty had little baby implets. What really made me decide to keep my bottle was that the totally awesome TD suggested layering it with Snake Oil. The combination is to die for, and the best of both worlds play beautifully with each other. Smutty Snake Oil heaven, Oh yeah!! :P

('07 version) I remember taking a small sniff of the bottle and turning my nose up at it. Maybe with the aging..?

In the vial - Dark, dark musk and grapes. Oh, it's got THAT musk in it. >_< The one my skin/nose breaks up into grapejuice like in Urd. Blarg.

Wet - Very boozy. The grapes have become... wine! And so much musk.

Drying - If Satyr and Urd had a love child, this would be it. It's HEAVY musk and wine on me with some incense to it. Where'd that come from?? It's like nag champa was added to it! It's actually really nice.

Dry (2 hours) - Seriously, Satyr + Urd = Smut! It's oddly very nice, although I can't see myself ever wearing something so very heavy. And I could probably make it smell the exact same by layering.

Overall - Eh, not something I'd wear and if I DID decide to, I'd just layer the two. :P

Edited by Tess

This starts out with a weird plastic-y note that really concerned me, but it drys down into a beautiful, warm, SEXY smell after about half an hour. On me it's very similar to Snake Oil but slightly sweeter. Yummy!