Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Well, I'm beginning to think my system is whacked. I loved the somewhat vague description of SMUT 2012, and thought for sure I would Love it. But this was my second Strike Out with my Luper purchases (and I only bought two, so my average is not good). I thought this would be dark and boozy and deep. What I got, at least on my skin, was a really harsh floral which is sharp and stinging. It does have a really good throw and keeps on trucking- I put a single dot on my right hand about 5-6 hours ago and I can still smell it strongly.

When I read an earlier review which mentioned Amaretto I knew this was right up my alley but I'm wondering if there was a bottle mix up or something. I noticed my bottle has a second label on top of another and I am wondering if it may have been mislabeled? Not sure if I should try peeling off the label or what. I dont feel comfortable swapping it for the same reason. I think this is just a loss, so sad. :cry2:

***Scratch the mislabeling idea. I just removed the label and it is a single label. It felt quite thick so maybe it was just the amount of glue or adhesive that was slightly different **sigh**

Edited by Chaos Of The Sun

I love my SMUT! I can see the amaretto, but mostly, I got lovely red musk and cherries!! This was so so good. Nice throw too!

The amaretto hit when wet is intense, but I can also sense those cherries lurking in the background. It smoothes out when dry to the most delicious sultry musk that catapults it immediately into my top 5 scents, it's gorgeous and I feel gorgeous wearing it. :wub2:

Smut 2012

This scent does exactly what it says in the description. Extremely musky, but I didn't get a whole lot of sweetness to lighten it up, mostly alcohol notes.

That being said, because of the musk and alcohol, this turns straight into man-smell on me. I tested this alone yesterday and found it to be a bit overpowering, so today I tried layering with Detestable Putrescence. It's just very potent and very strong. I like this scent as a concept, but it is not playing well with my skin: way too much throw/staying power/sex appeal for what I'd normally wear in a white-collar office environment. (It isn't called Smut for nothing!)

Overall: Great execution, but it's not for me. Sales it is.

Thoughts before testing: I have no idea what to expect with this blend at all!

Wet: Extremely strong musk. I get no booze or sugar, just all musk all the time.

Dry down: I smell like the local headshop.

Dry: Still a headshop.

Final thoughts: It's a very distinctive smell, but very much not me.

Verdict: My bottle goes off to the sales!

This is for Smut 2012 - I am so happy I read the reviews for this year's and pounced on a forum sale, because last yr's was way too bitter musk on me. This ones has the sweetness I wanted last year. Sweet, musky love. The Lupers this year are heavenly!!!

Smut 2012

I took a gamble ordering this after the reviews came in. I don't do well with "almondy" scents at all, they make me nauseated. Amaretto can sometimes smell like cherries though, which I adore. It smells like marzipan in the bottle, which worried me. Once it touched my skin, the blast of bright cherry hit my nose and I was in love. It dries to the usual Smut, but with an undercurrent of juicy red fruits.

Smutty goodness + candy sweet cherry :evol:

I was wondering if the cherry thing was just me, and I'm happy to see it's not! I think I've tried every incarnation of Smut except the first one, and this one is quite possibly my favorite. It's less boozy than last year's version, which had been my favorite before this one. I can even wear this one to work and not feel like a bar mat!

gods, this is amazing! i always kind of wondered "what's the big deal with smut?" NOW I KNOW!

i love bpal musk in pretty much any form, and while i'm not a huge fan of super-sweet blends, i definitely have days that i crave something sweet, so i decided to just snag a bottle of this, unsniffed. i LOVE that the boozy notes + the sugar basically come across as deep, juicy cherry. the musks are dark and sultry and keep it from being over-the-top sweet. it is dark, sensual, sexy and well...smutty! throw is pretty significant and the staying power was excellent for me (i mixed a few drops with unscented body lotion).

bpalscentsual said and i agree: i don't think i could wear this at work...but it will definitely be a go-to scent for parties, events and sexytimes. :D so glad i picked up a bottle!

Edited by joyfulgirl

Smut 2012

Received my decant of this today and instantly fell in love. In the imp and when first applied to my skin, it was a gorgeous dark, juicy cherry scent. Nothing sweet or foody - this was a sexy, naughty cherry. Now that it's been on my skin for awhile, it has turned into the most sexiest musk I have ever smelled. I need a bottle or two of this for sure.

(2008 Version)

Wet: I think I just got punched in the face by musk and booze.

Dry: Musky, boozy... baby powder. :huh?: My skin almost completely ate this scent! I wasn't a big fan of the booze notes though, so I'm not TOO upset by this. I'm sure someone else will appreciate this more than me.

2/5

HOLY CRAP, I have had a revelation. I can't wear anything with sugar in it!

I fully expected to be ordering a bottle of this, as I love me some musks. However, this turned into horrible funk and then completely vanished on me.

Weird. No Smut for me, alas.

Up until now, I've only tried '08, and I was disappointed in it because it smelled like Snake Charmer heavier on the red musk, which I don't care too much for since plum is is meh to my nose. '12 though? Colour me impressed. It's a lot more vibrant and doesn't have that musty vibe I get from SC or Smut '08. The fruits pop out more like an electric purple. I smell cherry in this year's version too, which contributes to the brightness. I think I even smell a dash of spice, like cinnamon? As soon as I put this on my skin, it's heading in the direction of the musk. It's also slightly burning my skin, so perhaps there is some sort of spice in there and I haven't completely lost my mind. After just a couple minutes, my skin has turned quite red too. Anyway, this is getting muskier as the minutes go by and is reminding me more and more of my Smut '08 decant. It's alright but I love way more other red musk blends. I'm also worried this would age to become another Snake Charmer Res relative. Glad I finally tried some fresh Smut, though.

Before this I only had the original Smut, which I did swap away. I love musk, but there was something disturbing to me about it. I figured I would give it another try this year and it is different. This one ROCKS! I get a slight cherry with sugared musk and it is swoon-worthy :wub2: So much love :)

Oh Smut, several testings have had to happen to get us to this point.

I have been a bit on the fence on this one initially, the first test happened straight from being out in the chilly Minnesota winter, and Smut was reluctant to allow its better tidbits out for a good time, and it came off smelling like Debauchery (a great love) to my nose and I dismissed it as not enough different to buy a bottle.

Silly me. Burlesque performers always reveal the good parts after a slow tease :)

The second test had a bit more of the amaretto, sugar, booze notes peeping enticingly from the veil of musk .

Smut had my attention.

The third test finally convinced me that this is going to be my only Luper bottle purchase this year.

Sugary sweet amaretto booze combined with SHEXSAY musk.

This is for the 2012 version.

In the decant: Musk, sugar, and lots of booze.

Wet: Much as in the decant.

The dry-down: Mostly booze now and a hint of grape. Once again, I keep trying this each year, and I wish that it would excite me.

I bought a bottle of this without ever testing it. Again it seemed to be a universally loved scent.In the bottle: it smells like amaretto liquor or something akin to it. A bit overpowering but I didn't let that scare me off.Wet:it smells like musky cherry/ almond mmmmmDry: it's amazing! I couldn't stop smelling my wrists. It has good throw and staying power. Eight + hrs and could still smell it somewhat. I will be buying as much as I can. I hope they continue to release this each year.

I originally bought Smut in its 2011 incarnation, and it has become my favourite scent. I wear it for hot dates, and it has a high success rate :angel:

The 2012 didn't work for me as well - I get the cherry/almond, but not the heavy booze from the previous year.

I have decided the 2011 has a deeper feel to it, and I like that. Don't get me wrong, I still like the 2012, but 2011 is my benchmark.

Smut 2012 (decanted and sent by the awesome ReallyZeb)

I like the smell of it wet, but as it dries it seems to go into wet powder on my skin and then I got a headache...for some reason it just comes off reminding me of ground-up chalk.

I already knew my skin has a severe problem with most musks, so I am not too bothered, but on someone who doesn't have said problem this would proably be amazing.

I may consider testing it as a room scent in my oil burner later on though (hoping that it doesn't give me a headache like that...heh) cause I really do like the smell of it before it dries on me :)

This is the 2012 version. Yes, this is Smut, but more like a Smut Lite. It is not nearly as robust, musky, sultry or sexy as Smut 07, which is almost gone, and of the 10 version either. Smut aged is MUCH more better.

I think I have the 2012 veriosn not sure :think: ... but I am always weary of musk because it can smell terrible on my skin.

In the bottle it smells like a sweeter, candy version of The Lampades. On me the musk is very very subtle and the sugary booze is more prominant.

Soft and sensual. Lovely :wub2:

So, I never reviewed the Smut, mostly as I got my bottle and it was like, meh.

Cut to eight ? months later, Wow!!!! This stuff is so awesome, it's like a sweeter Snake Oily thing that dries down to incense. wow wow wow. If I had known it was going to be like this, I would have gotten much more.

I hope this reappears...

And it did. And I bought it and no surprise, just as awesome. It's the perfect thing on some days, and although I think it's very sexy, I don't find it too much to wear out in public.

Edited by stellamaris

Yesterday I got my bottle of Smut 2013. It's probably too soon to know its potential, but I've been craving a bottle since a friend wore her older Smut - I'm going to guess probably 2007 or thereabouts - and I loved it so much that I knew I needed some, but I was too late for last year.

Even though it was still chilly from sitting in my mailbox all day, even though I knew it needed to settle, I put some on one wrist last night. I liked it, and I couldn't figure out what scent it resembled. I decided to give it a day-long test today and it finally hit me as I applied it that Smut 2013 reminds me of Dragon's Musk without the dragon's blood resin. (Now I know that Dragon's Musk isn't quite as "all DBR, all the time" as I've been thinking - it's just that my nose didn't identify the musk.) For now at least, this is nearly all musk with a vaguely salty undertone. It gives me a dry impression, not sweet. Maybe the booze is a salty rum.

This doesn't have a lot of throw at first, but as it dries it intensifies. I'd say it lasts a while because when I woke up this morning, I could still smell a little bit of sweetness from last night's dab. That makes me hopeful that it will sweeten a little bit as it settles and ages.

I'm thinking I might layer it with all kinds of things: Bordello, Snake Oil... I might even try it with Sic Erit and Third Charm. To me that's a good sign, because those are some of my favourites. Grog or Port Au Prince would probably make sense too, but only if I find that the boozy notes don't emerge with aging. For me, out of the combinations I've tried, this only layers well with Snake Oil and Bordello.

ETA, 2/26/13: I'm giving Smut 2013 another test today. After it's had a few days to settle from shipping, it's sweeter - more like what I wanted it to be. There seems to be a bit of my beloved red musk in there. Yay! I still think it will improve with some age on it.

ETA, 2/7/2014: Smut 2013 still has that salty smell, which I also get from Dragon's Musk. I almost never want to wear it, unfortunately, but I put some on the other day and it hasn't changed much from last year. There's a little more of my beloved red musk peeking out, which has sort of a grapelike quality on me, but not enough to counteract the salt. One day I might swap or sell this, but I'll let it age for a while longer.

Edited by boomtownrat

Smut 2013

Smut does not morph, Smut dances

thats right, the notes dance on my skin.

All the other reviews for this scent are fantastic, I am afraid, I won't nearly do it justice. Because I can't. You will have to smell the Smut for your self.

Wet: Musk, ohhh lots of musk

The drydown dances around you, some notes peak and then go into the background, then shine on the stage once again.

I got the three musks, surrounded by cherry, rum, sugar, cocoa, sassafras, cinnamon, and the labs snow note!

My wrist smelled different than my chest and also had a chilling affect on me.

This is definitely bottle-worthy!

its raw, animistic, sex in a bottle.

This one is going to Coachella with me.

Edited by DJ Sin