Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

Bottle (Imp): This smells about as sweet as anything I've ever smelled. I didn't realize that something could smell this sweet. It's not cloying, though it has the potential to be with just a bit more sweetness. Since I do well with sweet scents usually, I was ready to put this on. Definately smell the sugaryness of it.

Just On: It is really sweet still, then almost immediately settles down into a sweet mildly spicy scent. My untrained nose doesn't often detect specific notes, and I'm worse at identifying them, but this smells like some kind of treats or cake with extra spice added to it. Nutty, like pralines, and the caramel is noticeable now. The Mate nods, then says, "That's really strong."

An hour or two later: Tones down a *lot*, and now I can smell the toffee/caramel scents nicely, though I wish it were a little stronger. The Mate tells me it's very nice.

Around 6 hours: Same toned down scent, and still smelling the toffee/caramel overtones. I still wish it would stay stronger, but maybe I'll dilute it in a carrier, and slather it on a bit heavier. This would make a nice scent for a comfort salve, I think.

12 hours: The scent is almost totally gone, so I guess this is one that will have to be refreshed more often.

Overall: I really like this, especially as it goes through all the differing scents during the first part of drying down.

After reading other reviews: I never got the coffee scent that others seemed to be getting, and I didn't really get any sense of chocolate. But cookies, I never thought of it, but that's true, I smelled like cookies. Again, I couldn't stop smelling myself, and this does make me want more (though I didn't have any cravings to eat while wearing it).

In bottle and wet on skin- whoa, sweet and heavy. This smells like melted butter. Unfortunately I don't do foody, so this could be a rough go.

Wearing- it's now buttery and nutty, though the nutty is definitely just an undertone to the butter. This is still extremely heavy, extremely sweet, almost choking me with it's sweetness.

Final result- not for me, I'm afraid. I don't do foody scents, and this is about the foodiest scent of all. I shall be swapping this imp.

i didn't think gluttony would smell this strong; it's very burnt, bitter, acrid smell, both in the imp and on me.

why must i always be the one with the weird nose and body chemistry? huh? why?

anyways. i ended up washing it off after a couple of minutes; off to the swap pile it goes.

Soooo heavy and sweet. Exaclty as the description says.

In the bottle: Very, very strong. It's almost overwhelming and actually put me off for a couple of days. Chocolate almost knocks you over. Hazelnut with a little buttercream and praline in the background round it out.

Wet: Smells just like an Oatmeal Cookie (the drink, made with Bailey's, Butterscotch Schnapps and Cinnamon Schnapps). Something spicy comes out, I can't decide if it's cinnamon or clove, maybe even nutmeg. The chocolate stays strong and the caramel comes out. Starts to mellow out and not be so overwhelmingly sweet and the spice continues to develop.

Drydown: Leaves chocolate (this remains strong, right in the front the entire time it is on), praline, buttercream and the spice. The spice eventually smells like cinnamon schnapps. Finally leaves just the chocolate/cocoa.

Overall impression/final thought:This one lasts a long time and stays fairly strong. You have to really, really like foody, sweet scents for this one. I looooove it, even though it is a bit much when first applied. I layered Hollywood Babylon over this later in the day, after it had almost completely faded and they were a perfect match. I got good reactions to this from the girls at work. I smelled like a chocolate shop all day. This will induce cravings!

Initial Sniff: OMFG. Buttery hazelnut and caramel. OMFG.

Wearing: OMFG. It starts out with dark chocolate, vanilla buttercream, and melted butter. As it dries, the hazelnut and caramel come back out, and it is just a buttery jumble of sugar.

Final Impressions: OMFG. The absolute perfect embodiment of the deadly sin. Like Magpiedee said, I WANT MORE. OMFG.

This reminds me of some Yankee Candle I sniffed awhile back. It's lovely for a room scent, but on me, well, it makes me a little nauseous. Too much hazelnut for me!

I reckoned this might be too sweet for me, but...

what's that smell?? have you ever smelled Yankee Tart Hazelnut Coffee? This was my first Yankee Tart experience, a votive candle, oh, about five years ago. this starts out smelling just like that. sweet, nutty, coffee. it's a little darker; oh I know why - it's the end of the candle and the wick has just blown out, so you can smell the waxy candle smoke... this may make a great room scent

almost an hour later

I's got sweet chocolatey pencil sharpenings. even sweeter than velvet. and there's sandalwood in this somewhere....

ETA - I hadn't read aritei's post before I wrote mine, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one making this scent association!

Edited by Galen

In the imp: Like walking past the 'Mrs Field's Cookies' counter in the mall - heavy, buttery and oh-so-sweet. Just sniffing the imp made me thirsty!

Initial application: Yep, just like the cookie store. Butter and brown sugar predominate, and underneath there are random whiffs of nuts, chocolate, caramel and a hint of spice - like someone's baking a few different batches of cookies at once.

After an hour: Exactly the same! Gluttony has a really strong 'throw' so far... I can smell it in a cloud around me, rather than specifically sticking to my wrists/cleavage/hair. This really does embody the sin... it's so thick and sweet that I almost couldn't eat my breakfast, because I felt 'full' already!

I'll be interested to see how it lasts over the course of the day. So far, it seems like a winner, although I think this is definitely a scent I'd wear more often in fall/winter than in spring, and in hot summer weather it might be just too much, given that it makes me thirsty.

This is definitely NOT for the faint of heart, though - I love foody/heady scents, the stronger the better, and this would even be too strong for me if I hadn't applied quite sparingly.

Gluttony:

Gluttony, as others have said, is very, very strong. The smell, though, made me want to eat my wrist! :P It's absolutely delicious. I like the smell of it.. spices, buttercream, the smell of a happy dessert-baking kitchen. But it's not one I'd wear as a personal fragrance. I may look into getting an oil burner for the kitchen.. this one would be great for that. :D

I absolutely love this scent. Wet it smells very like a slightly less buttery version of Sugar Skull, but when it dries it's a gorgeous mix of dark chocolate and even darker coffee. Incredibly sweet, but also a little bit bitter. It's also the scent which has lasted longest on my skin of all those I've tried so far.

In Bottle: Buttercream and nuts.

On Skin: I’m not sure which scent it is, but I do smell a bit of spice. I expected this to be pure chocolate but the pralines, hazelnut, tofee, caramel and vanilla are all the most dominant. I don’t think I smell chocolate unless it’s just really blended in with the other scents. I feel like a Yankee Candle the scent is so sweet and decadent. This is DELICIOUS! Seriously, I’m scared I might eat my wrist.

I had wanted to love this. I had expected it to be the comfortingly warm scent of a bakery.

At first, it was all right. I got the caramel and toffee smells, which I love. Then I detected vanilla in the background.

Then it became cloyingly, chokingly sweet. And behind that, something turned sour, so it felt like the back alley of that bakery. Blech. :P

HOLYCOWSUGARMOSAS!!

Pralines! :D I can DEFINATELY smell the booze in here, and the nuttiness, and the sugar. Surprisingly, though, this isn't nearly the sweetest BPAL I've ever smelled--the booze and nuts calm it down a lot. I can smell the yummy caramel :P but the chocolate is faint and I can't detect vanilla.

This is actually MUCH more wearable than I thought it would be by its description. In fact, it's less foody than Bliss. But even then, it smells too foody for me.

Really really strong on me! Mine is uber choco-hazelnut-coffee. It was initially like being drowned in Nutella and cappuccino.

After that calmed down, there was just a general sweet yumminess left that I found pretty nice. Foody is good on me.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Gluttony. Hellcat was very strong and turned lemony on my skin, but Gluttony appears to be staying true. Both in the vial and initially on my skin it is very buttery, as in real butter, not the creamy-butter smell in Jack, and hazelnut. Quickly the butter calms down and then Gluttony goes briefly through a true burnt sugar and hazelnut phase(which is nice) and then settles down into this rich caramel with a hint of nuts smell. This is not nearly as tooth-avhingly sweet as I had expected. It is actually a warm scent that is lingering, nay, nuzzling, very close to my skin. I will definitely be wearing and layering this scent come autumn. Yum! :P

Given this one's description, I really *should have* loved Gluttony. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, hazelnut, and caramel are all favorites of mine. And I ADORE foodie scents.

Sadly, this turned out to just be way too much, even for me. "Bloated with sweetness" is a perfect description. The problem is that it smells kind of fake, like the overpowering sweet synthetic smell you get from candles. I smelled just like my favorite Bakery Hodgepodge candle.

Thus, this makes a wonderful room scent... but it was just too much for me to wear on my actual body. A tiny drop on my wrist lasted for hours and was so strong that it was migraine inducing. But it's heaven in an oil burner <3.

Very little chocolate here: mostly burnt toffee. So unfortunate, because I so loved the description and many of the reviews.

Gluttony. Oh, my, yes.

This was one of the imps that just came this week in my big box of fun from the Lab, may their names be glorified forever.

I would have kept track of the timing of all the different buttery sweetnesses, the praline, the nuts, that delicious dark rich smell underlying everything, but I was too busy trying to keep my fangs out of my wrists. So from sniffing it in the bottle to enjoying the soft but enduring yumminess that it has become ten hours after application is all sort of a blur. I could almost swear I caught the scent of the toffee almonds they were selling on Stroget in Copenhagen on Culturenight; it made me smile to remember them singing out what sounded to me like, "Brennamenna!" (Burnt almonds, I suppose.) This scent is all good yummy sweet buttery things, and I am going to put it on the list for a big bottle.

(This is the second time I've tried to take notes on this one for review. The first time was even less coherent, which attests to the power of this scent to disorder the mind in a very splendid way. I wound up wandering around my workshop, occasionally stopping to sniff my wrists and then trying not to say OMFG out loud every time. Didn't manage that last bit for quite some hours.)

Hazelnut coffee and a hint of chocolate with a slightly odd, almost bitter note handing around in the back is what I get, and hazelnut coffee with a hint of chocolate with what I think is the hops? is what it stays. I wish it were a little stronger, but I'm going to test it again when I'm not trying a bunch of others out. I may have just overloaded my poor nose trying a bunch of the million imps and Body Perfumery samples I got today. It reminds me heavily of Yankee Candle's Hazelnut Coffee scented items, which is not a bad thing, seeing as how I want to eat the candles and I don't mind smelling foody. (If you don't like foody, why would you buy something called Gluttony anyway?)

I'm in favor of sinning, don't get me wrong. But my two personal favorites vices are Pride and Lust (the sins, not the scents).

In the vial, Gluttony is the embodiment of the abstract concept. While I'm incredibly impressed with how... how... glutinous this is (seriously, it smells as if it should sound like, "glurp" when I swirl the imp around), it's so thick and smothering a scent that I feel, indeed, as if I've overindulged.

The heavy, buttery, foody scents just aren't for me, sadly. I'll happily keep sinning while passing this on to someone else- never say that I could be accused of Avarice!

Very rich, very sweet dark chocolate with toffee, sugary from top to throw, languous and just a bit of a bitter edge. :D

ETA: holy shit! I was cramping and on a hunch (and 'cause I was out of chocolate), I pulled this out of the swap pile that it was originally in because it was overpoweringly sweet. Daubed it on and took a huge whiff and no more cramps. :P I don't know if it's psychosomatic or just good timing, but I'm keeping this imp around!

Edited by emz83

So now that I am on a diet, when I have urges for sweets past 9pm, all I have to do is sniff this. This stuff really smells great. I dont know about acutually using it as a perfume, but maybe an occassional sniff or maybe a bar of soap or something.

When I got this in the mail, it was my very first imps (from a kind forumite :P), and as soon as I opened the envelope, I went "eww, what´s that???". It was Gluttony.

I´m a chocaholic, but this did not work for me. At all. I was actually a bit put off to all the imps at first, cause it was so difficult to tell which one the smell came from. But okay, I decided to try it on after a while, hoping it would change, but it still smelled very bitter, and like burnt chocolate or toffee, so I had to wash it off.

I have since put it in TWO plastic bags, both sealed shut, waiting to swap it for something else.

Too bad, I like to sin :D

Wow. In the bottle this smells exactly like a shot I mix at work - Buttershots, Goldshlager and Baileys.

On it's creamy butterscotch, cinnamon spice, and a lot of booze. It's potent stuff, very strong, lots of throw. After a couple hours I started smelling more of a toffee scent, and something a bit bitter - like a flavoured coffee. This didn't last as long as most scents seem to on me, only five hours before I had to reapply.

Overall, this is yummy and surprisingly dark for a foody scent.

This is everything I wanted Sugar Cookie to be! I was sad that SUgar Cookie Just smelt like a cinnamon stick to me but Gluttony is so much more of a cookie-foody scent! LOVE IT! Can't wait to wear this come the holidays!!! :P