Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

Gluttony - Oh MAN is this rich. Hearth is my absolute favorite BPAL thus far, so this seems a good fit. Unfortunately, I don't like nuts. If you want to smell like hot, buttery, and maybe just slightly burnt pecan pie, this scent is for you. This is what I would imagine the smell to be if you chopped up some nuts, walnuts or pecans or something equally rich, and sauteed them in butter and molasses until they were browned.

It's a great food scent, very strong, and I can imagine that a lot of people will love it, especially as a room scent. I just don't like nuts...

*giggle*

*ahem*

:P

Gluttony is an utterly decadent scent.

In a lot of ways, this reminds me of Centzon Totochtin. It's the same kind of over-the-top, mind-bogglingly indulgent scent. Substitute beer for the wine in Centzon Totochtin and subtract out the corrupt blood and you get something close to Gluttony.

The throw is surprisingly good and my husband really likes this scent (vanilla and caramel, he says). It seems to last well. It's made up of a whole bunch of things I really love. But...

I'm not sure if it's the scent or the name, but I'm finding this one hard to stomach. I'm trying to think of it as luxurious rather than gluttonous, but what I'm really thinking is that I never should have watched Seven.

Edited by elphaba

This smells JUST like the description. On me, it was heavy praline and hops.

I don't think I'm much for foody scents on me; the whiffs of sugar/butter/praline/hops kept distracting me all day. As a room scent, I bet this would be orgasmic; but as a personal fragrance, it's too disconcerting.

i was able to score a decanted impy of this lovely, lovely scent!!!

omFG.....initially it is buttery, sweet, cinnamony, graham crackery all swirled together in one positively mouth watering concoction :P

after a bit it dries down to a slightly smokier version with some mocha thrown in.... :D

this is very, very strong and works with my chemistry oh so well....and wanna know how i know???

dear boyfriend came home and pounced on me and whispered....you smell so f*cking good i can't control myself.....i needn't say anything more..... :D

Another scent that did something COMPLETELY unexpected on my skin... But not a bad something, just unexpected. On me, Gluttony becomes the very essence of a sweet semi-bitter chocolate incense. It doesn't smell like dessert, or any other kind of food on me -- it smells like specifically *incense*... of a bitter chocolate/spicy type. VERY pleasant, but I'm a little sad that it doesn't smell like a tasty treat. Ah, well. Still very good. :P

I'm wearing Gluttony today, and my coworker wheeled herself over from my cube, and said

"IS IT YOU THAT SMELLS LIKE FRENCH TOAST??"

My my my, yes indeed it IS me that smells like french toast. I promptly made her smell like french toast too.

As in most BPAL, don't judge the first sniff in the bottle. It was icky fake butter there.

In the wet stage, it also smelled just too fake buttery.

When it dried down...french toast. Waffles with maple and toasted pecans.

Unfortunately, I've totally lost any chocolate here. It's sad.

It also disappears much too fast...the same fate as Velvet, which I adore.

It goes beautifully with my Creme Brule body wash and body cream from Bath and Body.

Surprisingly, both 13 and Milk Moon didn't do it for me (how shocked am I??), but are absolutely divine with just a touch of Gluttony. Big bottle for me thx!

There's a coffee shop in Richmond, VA, called Rostov's. It's crammed with bins and jars of flavored coffees, ground and in whole bean form; chocolate-coated toffee almonds dusted with confectioner's sugar; pralines; chocolate-coated espresso beans; and so many other coffee- and chocolate-oriented delicacies that the mind reels upon entry.

I turned to my mom when we went in and said, "If only you could bottle the scent of this store."

Someone has now bottled it. And I officially worship that someone. :grovel:

This is so good I cannot even believe it. I need more, more, more! And I need an oil burner! *runs off in mad excitement*

Edited by Savannah

Gluttony

In the imp: holy yum…This smells edible. No, that's an understatement. Caramelised sugar and butterscotch. Chocolate and nuts, biscuits and cake. I'd imagine this to be what Willy Wonka's factory smells like.

Wet on skin: buttery, sweet, indulgent, chocolatey and a tiny bit boozy…

Dry on skin: yummy! This is a very sweet and rich blend, and there's definitely a booze note. Maybe it's the hops? There are nuts, chocolate, caramel-there's a definite sweet butter note, like butterscotch, buttercream, and maybe Butterbeer-hehehe that's what happens when you read too much Harry Potter! In fact, I think this is what Butterbeer served at Honeydukes would smell like!

After a while: now I want to eat myself. It's getting even sweeter. It smells like caramelised sugar with toffee swirled through it, sprinkled with brown sugar and topped with chocolate and nuts. It's sweetness overload!

Verdict: this is the sort of scent that would make Homer Simpson drool. This is the most devilishly indulgent and sugary foody BPAL I've tried. It smells like a tiny drop of this scent contains 1000 calories and even sniffing it will make you put on weight! It's got all the most sweet and rich dessert smells in it-chocolate, vanilla, caramel, nuts, praline, chocolate truffles, biscuits, cake, and a booze note to make even more sinful. This really does epitomise gluttony. Delicious as it is, I'm not sure if I'd get a bottle as this really is a very heavy and rich food scent and can be a bit too much at times, but I'm keeping the imp for those moments I get chocolate or dessert cravings.

oh.my.gods.

how have i not found this before?

in the imp: butter. cream. vanilla. all the purest, best quality.

on my wrist, wet: toasted nuts. baking in a cake with all of the above ingredients.

on my wrist, dry: chocolate is starting to show up now. along with all of the above.

drydown: all of the individual notes have melded, and i am left with what makes me think of the richest, most decadent chocolate cake, stuffed with chocolate cream and drenched with dark chocolate ganache. served side by side with a small cup of the best french roast hazelnut coffee you can imagine.

i've said before that a scent made me want to eat my arm. this one really DOES. i may have to bake a cake now. seriously.

In the imp, Gluttony makes my teeth hurt. It is very sweet, heavy and rich. It reminds me a lot of the holiday scents like Sugar Skull and Sugar Cookie.

The butter scent calms down a lot on my skin and Gluttony is more soft and sweet. It is far too hot right now to wear Gluttony, but layered with the right oil, I think I could use this!

Wow, this is very rich and very strong. Upon first sniff (on wrist) my thought was: fake chocolate? But I couldn't put my finger on it. Ten minutes later, I realized what it smells like on me--Tootsie Rolls! It's Tootsie Rolls with a hint of orange and burnt caramel (which I realize is just melted/burnt sugar, but on me it smells doubly burnt) and I couldn't stop sneezing.

I can see why people love this fragrance--it's very foodie, and rich and strong. I suppose it's just not very "me", so I won't be purchasing a big bottle.

WOW, the first sniff literally knocked my head back -- big sugar rush just from opening the imp! This is the mother of all foody scents, for sure, and makes Midway and the others seem a bit wimpy by comparison. It reminds me of Harry Potter, for some reason ... this is probably what the sweets shop in Hogsmeade smells like. Whether I'd actually wear it or not is a different question, but I will definitely keep the imp as a novelty and a conversation starter -- "Here, smell this.... want to go get some dessert?" :P

Gluttony is so rich and buttery that I simply couldn't pick out any specific notes; of course, that may have had something to do with the fact that this was my first order, and so I was slathering all my oils on willy-nilly in crazed glee. :P

There wasn't much of a difference between it wet and dry, except that the scents mellowed out just slightly once it dried. Still mostly a buttery scent, with faint undertones of the other elements in it.

In the imp: Mmmm. This smells like dark chocolate hazelnut liqueur truffles.

Wet: Still pretty mmmmm, but less chocolate and more cocoa butter with hazelnut. This is the first strictly foody scent I've tried, so I'm interested to see how true it stays on my skin and what my body chemistry does to all these rich/sweet candy notes.

Dry down: After about an hour, this scent has faded a lot. I have to stick my wrist right up to my nose in order to get a whiff. Said whiff, however, is very very nice. The nuts smells have come to the fore and I smell mainly of hazelnut with a hint of toffee. There's a buttery base to the scent, which makes it rich and heady. I'm also detecting a very faint note of something cinnamon-like which reminds me of baking pecan rolls. Once again, my left and right wrists (despite having oil applied straight to them both this time) have developed in subtly different ways. On the left, there's a hint of something sharp and alcoholic, like a hazelnut liqueur, while on the right it's much sweeter and more buttery.

Final verdict: Darn. Here's what I wrote after two hours of dry-down: "I will definitely use my imp of this, and expect I may crave a larger size come winter. It's really a little heavy for warm weather, but I know I'll wear it when I want to hear the boyfriend say, "I could eat you up." I don't feel gluttonous when I wear it; I feel warm and motherly, like someone who has been baking or making fudge all day for the people she loves." Unfortunately, it is all a big fat lie. Shortly after the preceding statement was written, Gluttony and my body chemistry decided to conspire to become completely bloody evil together. It turned into horrible saccharine smell not unlike a Wal-Mart knock-off of a Bath & Body Works spray which made me sneeze and burst a damn of snot in my head to completely flood my sinuses. In fact, it provoked the most virulent reaction of any bpal fragrance to date. I am so unhappy with my silly hormones I could kick their asses.

In the vial: Hello hazelnut! That's about all I can smell in the vial. If I try really hard, I can imagine toffee and buttercream, but definitely no chocolate, vanilla, or caramel.

Wet: Still extremely hazlenut, and the toffee and buttercream are rearing their heads now. A tiny bit of chocolate and caramel are coming out as well, but not much.

Dry: Oh no! All of the sweetness is fading! It's turning powdery, and Play-Doh, and burnt coffee beans all at once. The toffee is pronounced in the throw, which is nice, but this is very unpleasant with my nose against my skin.

An hour later: It eventually turned sweet and buttery, like Midway and Grog do on me; my skin amps up butter like there's no tomorrow. However, some of that unpleasant mix of smells is still there, which is not good at all.

Overall: I suspect the reason this turned bad is because it mixed with the other scents I'm wearing; I'll have to test it again another day.

Wet: DAMN this is sweet! :P

As it dries, I get some hints of nuttiness. But overall, Gluttony doesn't seem to change too much as it wears. It's not a bad scent, but pales in comparison to my (hoarded) Sugar Skull. Pass.

Edited by spark

BOTTLE SNIFF: Nutella ©, with buttery note

WET ON SKIN: So rich you can taste it! Butter cream dominant. Rich, nutty chocolate in the background. So far, this is the only chocolate BPAL scent that has smelled delicious on my skin. 13, Cerberus, Spooky, Bliss, Vice, etc -- none have been this decadent.

DRYDOWN: As the cream fades, Gluttony turns into a dark chocolate and strong hazelnut coffee scent. The buttercream completely disappears, leaving an overall toasted/roasted smell. I much prefer this stage as a wearable scent.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Very rich, very foody.

Gluttony started out as a caramel chocolate :P , but quickly turned burnt and acrid. I had to wash it off.

This, for me, is an almost dead ringer for DSH's Lush Honey. Lush Honey smells nothing like Lush's Honey I washed the Kids soap, which it is a dupe of, but smells a lot like Honeycomb cereal with a little extra honey added.

Well so does Gluttony... smell like Honeycomb cereal with extra honey added that is. But down at the base, there is a nasty sort of hollow bitter smell that I assume might be nut. I put this in the swap pile, I have a vat of DSH Lush Honey, and it doesn't have the bitter note Gluttony does.

In/on the imp: A very strong and unpleasant buttery burnt sugar smell. I tired it anyways, just to make sure it's not my thing.

On me: And it's HORRIBLY wrong for me! It stays burnt sugar and butter, but my mom smelled me and recoiled "Dried baby urine!" she said.

Overall: I agree with my mom. It's nasty to me and I will never use it and know noone who can, either. Swap!

In the bottle:

Um, yikes, butter. This was unpleasantly reminiscent of Jack.

Wet:

Extremely salty butter.

Drydown:

It pretty quickly faded from butter to something more along the lines of a bakery in which donuts are being made. Definitely a "fried foods" smell, but sweets, not salts, which is much nicer. I wonder if this is what Midway will smell like on me?

The sweet n' buttery smell remained for the next hour or so, and I definitely felt gluttonous. I almost felt guilty about eating something bad for me just wearing it! After a while some cinnamon crept in, and that was really nice, like smelling cinnamon donuts or something.

The throw was very good, although the staying power wasn't great -- there was still some faint smell of it this morning, but zero throw after a couple of hours.

Not sure if I'll buy more of this -- I'll wait and see how Midway fares on me -- but it was a yummy scent and my husband approved. :P

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a word or two: Foody!

In the imp/bottle: Oh...my. Oh, my. I'm not big on foody scents, but this is divine. This smells like a big bowl of thick, creamy chocolate, warm, spiced vanilla and syrupy caramel.

On skin, wet: I have candles that smell exactly like this (though certainly not called Gluttony!). Already, though, the chocolate is becoming dry and dusty. The vanilla has disappeared, though the hazelnut has appeared in its place, and the caramel is tagging along behind everything else.

On skin, dry: This is a very "busy" scent; by that, I mean it has several notes all wandering around at the same time. Slightly confusing, but divinely so. My only issue with this blend so far is the chocolate, which has become, as most chocolate/cocoa notes are wont to do on me, dry, dusty and chalky. A fate worse than death for this blend.

Conclusion: I am very disappointed by the way my skin treats this oil. In the vial, I'm tempted to drink the oil; on my skin, it's another story entirely. I tested this twice more, and got the same result.

Edited by Aredhel

Candy shop. Really. It is SOOO sweet and edible in the bottle, it seems almost silly to put it on my skin instead of in my mouth. Seriously creamy and nutty in the most delicious way. I want to find a cream cake that tastes like this smells. It has a good amount of throw, but fades pretty quickly. My skin tries to turn the booze into an insense, but instead I get a snuffed candel smell in an hour or so.

in the bottle: hazelnuts and caramel.

wet: hazelnuts, caramel, butter, toffee

drydown: burnt plastic, wafting out over caramel, butter and toffee.

this is the first time this has happened to me. and it's been a bad several days for scents for me.

ah well. even when it smelt good, it was WAY too sweet for me.

if you are really into sweet foody scents, get gluttony! if not, don't!

i wasn't sure until now. this was a little too much for me.

n.

Num! This smelled like burnt sugar first thing. Not burnt black, but very very caramelized. Then I thought: Indian food?! and eventually realized it reminded me of toasted fenugreek seeds--they have a sort of maple-syrup-y flavor.

This is a strong scent that had a fair amount of throw and lasted throughout the work day. It smelled a lot like hazelnut coffee and a stack of syrupy pancakes on me--very, very delicious and wonderful. Sometimes it smelled like sugar & smoke, which is how I imagine Dia de los muertos smelling (no idea if that's accurate).

I like this scent very much!