Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

my first impression of this was rich hazelnut, pralines, and melted dark chocolate. it was a little bitter if i took a deep enough breath. to me, gluttony smells like someone took the 2004 yule LE sugar cookie, threw it into an oven and was only reminded it was in there when there was a loud "BOOM" from the kitchen. yeah, this is definitely a burned sugar cookie smell. mmm, carcinogens!

this was marvelous as a room scent, but it's nothing i could ever wear.

bottle: WHOA!!!!!!! storng...very very very thick, and sweet as hell

wet: hazelnuts...in thick, heavy sickeningly sweet syrup. i am fighting the urge to wash it off...

dry: i have to wash it off. it didnt change...just got slightly less strong.

too bad...sounded yummy!

off to swaps

On me this started off as a suprisingly salty. I thought of food akin to popcorn rather than a sweet cavity. The nuttiness of the hazelnut was there.

This scent was SUPER strong with a ridiculous amount of throw. In fact, my dad proceeded to complain all day about it :P

The scent certainly turned sweet, but it held on to some of the saltiness, and was very smokey. To me it smelled like someone was roasting nuts and burning a flan.

I didn't get any chocolatey goodness until very late in the game, and then I had the same issue as with bliss, it came out very chocolate sprinkle-ish - plasticy.

All in all, I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't foodey and like a dessert, which is what I expected. It certainly was gluttonous, but the smokiness came off incense-y to the people around me. This will more than likely have to be swapped

Ooooh, sweetness!

I may be imagining things, but this smells like it has something spicy in it, like gingerbread. It's very buttery, and sweet, like a dark cookie. It is definitely food'y and won't do for people who don't like food scents.

After a few hours, it has a slightly dusty quality on me, like honey ginger cake crumbs, maybe a dusting of flour at the bottom of the cake pan. :P

This one smells sweet and delicious out of the imp. It is nutty, sweet, and rich... like a cake with buttercream frosting, smothered in caramel sauce, toasted nuts scattered over it.

It mellows down to a rich, creamy sweet scent. Very enticing.

It also makes a glorious room scent. :P

I didn'd review Gluttony?? :P

Oh well then, here goes.

This is a scent i really reach for from time to time. To me it is the most strong BPAL i own(together with Jack)therefor I cannot use it on a daily basis. When i wear it the day after it goes to the back of my stash.

It's sticky, brown, sugary and there must be honey, because in the drydown honey is most what i get especially when i put it in my hair. It is a scent i love dearly for those days life seems gray and the weather isn't co-operating.

To me its not nutty at all, caramel and coffee(and Honey) are the prominent notes

Gluttony is very very buttery and sweet and delicious. It is like a huge bucket of warm caramel popcorn. Unbelievably rich and edible. Yum! :P

in the vial, this smelled very nutty with some cocoa. while wet on my arm, it was nutty/woody, and it stayed the same after that. i liked it. it wasn't too foody, just enough chocolate to keep me enjoying it, but i wouldn't order a biggun. it just wasn't that exciting. would be great for a guy that is a bit innovative & doesn't mind taking chances.

Gluttony was another one of the first few BPAL scents that I tried that totally didn't fit my expectations. Not being familiar with BPAL's "foody" scents, I was expecting this to be much more sweet than it actually was. Gluttony turned out to be a thick, heavy, overpoweringly buttery scent on me. I didn't get any sugar or vanilla. The nutty aspect was sharp and uninviting, while the carmel was a burnt and buttery instead of creamy and sweet.

This just really didn't agree with me, no matter how many times over a period of several months that I tried giving this a chance. While a select few of the "foody" scents grew on me, such as Jack, Gluttony just isn't my kind of perfume.

Okay, I can't even think about this scent without getting sick....

I recieved it, and when I smelled of it in the vial it turned my stomach... No joke. I can't stand it.

I think it might be the nuts in it, it's just too bitter, no sweet, NOT for me! Yucky. I got rid of it, I tried it over the period of several months, and the only thing I got out of it was just....bitterness... sickening bitterness.

Beth, I am -so- sorry that I'm putting down one of your blends, but it's just not for me, someone else might be able to handle it, but I can't. ;_; I TRIED so so hard to love it, but couldn't. :P Cats now has it, hopefully SHE can love it, when I couldn't...

Edited by Pixie-elf

Gluttony

A swap from amrita (:P) that wasn't on my wishlist, but I just had to try.

In the bottle:

Strong, overpowering, covers all other smells butter! The Mr. took a step back and give it two "whoa"s.

Wet:

Butter, butter, butter, herbs? Maybe I'm picking up on the hops.

Drydown:

The butter subsides to make way for a burnt chocolate smell. I'm not getting the sweet nutty gooey chocolate, but a more bitter scent... like the nibs of cacao beans that haven't been ground and heated into smooth chocolately cocoa butter yet.

Later:

The burnt chocolate smell hovers right at the edge of going tobacco/cigarette smoke on me, which I do not care for. This is a very strong scent with good throw, but it's throwing all the wrong notes!

Conclusion:

I wish and hope and pray that this burnt cigarette wonkiness is due to funky cyclic chemistry issues and will try again one more time in a few weeks... otherwise this will go back into the swap pile. :crosses fingers:

Edited to add: Great googly moogly. It's now twenty hours later and my left wrist smells like nothing more than chocolate dipped gloriousness. The right one is much more faint, but I can also smell chocolate there. This definitely gets at least one more try.

Edited by darkitysnark

My first impression of Gluttony was just how fitting the name was. The smell of butter and hazelnut leapt right out at me, and thoughts of baked goods filled my head.

On my skin the smell was much the same. The vanilla and buttercream that intrigued me in the description were both locked in a wallflower role, smothered by the hazelnut and chocolate. The smell was absolutely edible, and gloriously calorie free.

The cravings it elicits, however, are not :P

I’m going to have to be selective about wearing it. I think staying at least 500 yards away from a bakery will be necessary.

Though I'm one who can take the occasional foody scent, gluttony was simply too much. It immediately makes me feel like I'd scarfed a whole carton of ice cream, or some other feat of eating. That feeling that isn't quite nasea but is close to it came over me. I do have to say though that this is an AMAZING representation of its name.

Note ~ I got this as a frimp in a swap, and it's the first of the Seven Deadly Sin oils I've tried. (The actual sins themselves are another story.)

Vial ~ Syrup. Heavy, sugary-sweet syrup freshly poured over rich, whipped butter. My throat constricts just sniffing this.

Wet ~ Wow, the change is really abrupt. It's still sweet, but there was a sudden flare of spice. Nutmeg and ginger, perhaps? For a few seconds, I think I smelled like a Snickerdoodle. This smells like a high-end chocolate shop that sells things other than chocolates. You know, the unpopular side of the store.

Drying ~ It's fluctuating again. Gracious. From the memory of candy to stale candy. There's something musty going on. Huh, now the spices are on the rise again.

Drydown ~ Oh, bakery spice! Er, bakery spice in an obviously plastic tub, perhaps. Hrm.

Dry ~ This looks like it's going to be a showdown between musty spice and the unpopular chocolate shop corner. Since the drydown is a little powdery, it's hard to tell which will win.

Fade ~ And we're back to a lightly unpopular chocolate shop corner again. It's getting really faint after only an hour or so, though.

Final Thoughts ~ It dries down, thankfully, to something not nearly as loud on me as it was in the imp. Not a favorite of mine, and I can't see myself thinking to wear this again or use it has a (yipe) room scent. However, it certainly lives up to its name. woo.

I thought I was going to love this in the vial...smelled like Cinnabuns.

But on me its too strong....my boss said I smell like an IHOP or a big plate of pancakes and syrup with bacon on the side.

Gluttony - in the vial, wow this is pretty sweet and it reminds me of Grog with the butteryness (but minus the booze)

Once on - wow I smell sweet rich pralines and they smell sooooo good! This is really sweet but for me it's a very wearable sweet. Not too cloying just delicious. It does have that indulgent feel as in "yeah I just ate a whole box of Godiva chocolates- so what?" It's indolent, decadent and wonderful. Buttery hot brown sugar :P

A big bottle is on the list.

I got this one for free as part of my first order, and while not too into food scents, I thought I'd give it a go.

In the bottle

It smells very..... foody. I'm not completely excited, but I am pleasantly surprised - I smell a popcorn stand that is parked right outside a very upscale pastry shop on a warm day.

On me

SO GROSS! It immediately turns into charred caramel corn on my skin and gets stronger with every passing minute. Even my cat hated it - he hopped on my lap for some snuggly-time, and when I reached out my hand for him to smell he freaked out and ran to the other end of the apartment. After about 20 minutes, I couldn't take it anymore and tried to wash it off. It took me several thorough soakings to get the smell out. Talk about powerful!

All in all, I would love to get this one to a happy home. It's smelling up my living room, and the cat now hates me.

A friend of mine sent me an imp of this and.....

Holy awesomeness, Batman! This is the substitution for Sugar Skull when I run out! Yum! Yum! Yum!

This one smelled decent in the vial. Though any buttery oil tends to turn me off, I tried this one any way. Just a tiny bit.

It smells like burnt coffee on my skin. Like some fab creamy dessert coffee someone left on the burner too long.

But dammit, I still want to taste that coffee.

This one is strong, I can smell it from across the room, imp closed!

Edited by Madame Nyx

I don't think I will ever be able to eat sweets again. Every cake and dessert will suffer the unfortunate fate of being compared to my divine bottle of Gluttony. :P

Oh man. Beautiful buttercream, chocolate, and pralines are balanced by the rich, slightly bitter hops. I love the hops in this! As it dries down, I get the sweeter candy notes like caramel.

This is the greatest room scent ever!

Nice scent but a little to much for me.

wet-dry, to me, gluttony smells like peanut brittle. Not for me.

I read a review suggesting gluttony as a room scent, I will have to try that before I sell.

i really thought i was going to love this scent, but i didn't. i had hoped for the rich vanilla/buttercream/caramel scent, but it just smelled like a fresh walnut on me. :P

In the bottle: Very rich and decadent.

First on: This instantly turns to wax on my skin and didn't improve.

Such a shame because it smells so divine in the bottle.

Courtesy of the Pumpkin King circular swap!

In the imp: Foody.

Wet: I've lost my mind. I smell something spicy in it, similar to the spices found in Gingerbread Poppet.

Drydown: Chocolate, the gingerbread spices and nuttiness.

Final thoughts: This is very, very nice. I'm not sure it's something I would wear, but it's something I like to smell! :P

gluttony.jpg

A great portrait of the sin of "Gluttony". Too much, I am afraid. The butter was not what I wanted to smell like all day long, and the rest was almost a lecture on the evils of unbridled gourmandery! I swapped this scent to another curious person. I just couldn't wear it as a pretty smell.

I salute the feat of making something so much like the name that it totally translated an idea into scent. Unfortunately, it succeeded too well.

Edited by olympia301