Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Juke Joint

<div class="bpal" style="background-color:transparent; border: 1px dotted #000033; color: #000099; padding: 5px; width: 90%; align:center;margin:0 auto 0 auto"><i>A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.<!-- bpal scent end --></i></div>

TMI ~ Hrm. I should really remember to do my breast exam tomorrow morning: I'm in that zone, cycle-wise.

Note ~ When I first heard about this one, I went nuts. A poor mint julep was enough to make me happy, so a scent based on good ones was too good to be true.

Vial ~ Either as sharp as peppermint, or mint backed by some serious bourbon.

Wet ~ Wow. This is nearly medicinal. The mint is still unpleasantly sharp, and the booze is really strong. A musk coming out is toning them both down, but I'm still unhappy.

Drying ~ Minty band-aids. Dammit!

Drydown ~ I was hoping for mint julep. What my skin is extracting from the oil is mint funk. Oh, goodie -- now it's turning powdery.

Intermission ~ Take 2. I didn't finish this review on the day I started it, so I tried this oil again during a different part of my cycle.

Dry ~ Okay, now there are mint juleps: mostly a cool, liquid mint with a boozy kick semi-disguised beneath.

Fade ~ This changes from a slightly minty resin into a musty, muted mint.

Final thoughts ~I don't love it, but I like it. I can't imagine craving to wear this scent, which is a pity. I wonder if there's a way to hurry and then prolong the dry stage? I'm simply not together enough to figure out which oils to wear during certain times of the month. :|

Edited by byrdie

It brings to mind the kind of retro sexiness of Dean Martin and the Rat Pack . Impeccably dressed, smooth speaking, charming yet with a very wicked unbuttoned dishevelled edge.

A little bit of smokiness, a little bit of minty freshness, a little bit of booziness and a whole lot of seductive.

RAAAARRRR! :P

Edited by amunnefret

In the bottle:

When I smelled this in the vial, I was totally convinced that this was going to be way too strong and boozy for me. It was kind of pungent smelling as well.

On me: As soon as I put this on, I could tell right away that the impression I got from the vial was completely wrong. The "boozy" smell I was getting almost completely disappears, and this turns into a very sensual, sexy and warm scent with just a hint of sweetness and booze smell, and the very very tiniest bit of fresh mint.

Final note: This scent is truly gorgeous. Don't let the smell in the vial fool you, you really have to put this on and wear it. The longer I have it on, the more I love it!

I only smelled a hint of bourbon, and it faded away quickly. What remains is more delicate than I expected – a fresh sprig of mint and powdered sugar. I've never had a mint julep so I can't attest to the similarity, but this is nice.

t3andcrumpets, the lovely gal we know her to be, gifted this imp to me.

Being that it was on my wishlist, I managed a sizable squee before opening the imp.

Setting the stage: The mail arrived minutes before my daughter's birthday party was to begin, but I held off putting perfume on until the mail arrived as I was expecting a bottle from a purchase. This was what can and I was tickled!

In the imp, I did smell a faint sugary mint. It was darker than what you think of white sugar to be though, like it was in the process of being carmeled.

On, wet I got more of the booze that makes the juliep famous.

As it drys, the mint is still there and the booze has softened into a darker musk.

Very nice

I would get another imp of this because I have never liked a mint, so far. This blend does change that.

Well done Lab.

When can we see the mojito? :P

at first: wow. this smells just the way it should: alcohol, mint, and some sugar.

on: this reminds me of a less intense version of three jacks with a hint of mint.

half an hour later: mostly alcohol, but the mint is still present.

1 hour later: still the same.

2 hours later: this smells like wood on me. odd.

5 hours later: darker, sweeter , and heavier.

overall: this is nice, but not really that great. i won't be keeping my imp.

First sniff: Wet mint and sugar. I’ll have to wear this one again on Derby Day!

Wearing: Juke Joint is quite a bit warmer on my skin. It’s not boozey, which is a relief – just very sweet and very minty. Good stuff. It got more and more sultry-warm as the evening went on.

Juke Joint

in the bottle: Mint and something... likely bourbon (which I don’t drink so not as familiar with)

wet: that mint (or bpals’ odd idea of it... doesn’t smell like the mint in my garden, that’s all I know) is about all I’m getting, with an undertone of spices which I think is the bourbon. I’m not getting any sugar, although I might think there’s a sweetness to it, but it’s definitely not sugar laden.

drying/8 minutes: minty spice. Not bad, but sugar? Nothing my nose can find, alas! I’m not sure if it would be better if sweeter, but this isn’t what I’d call a ‘sweet’ scent. Perhaps it’s more bitter without the sugar?

dry/25 minutes: spicy mint. Not much else.

Ok, Juke Joint. I am wearing this today because it's the day of the Kentucky Derby, and I'm going to a party later where I am responsible for making mint juleps.

Let me just say that if mint juleps taste like this smells, I won't be making one for myself.

This smells vaguely cool and minty, but now that it settled into my skin, it has become old-lady mothballs and baby powder.

It IS quite a triumph in that it does remind me of old southern ladies sitting on the porch, sweating through their Coty face powder, fanning themselves, drinking, and "getting the vapors."

But damn, it is not nice as perfume on me.

:P

Hmmmm...I SWEAR I reviewed Juke Joint, but I don't see it listed now! :P

ANYWAY, I really didn't get any mint, so I couldn't see "Mint Julep."

What I DID get was a very wafty, strong almost stale Kentucky Bourbon scent that reminded me very much of my somewhat boozy stepmother. She's a nice lady, but I certainly DON'T want to smell like her! :D Also reminds me of a VFW Hall or a neighborhood tavern (or, gin mill, as my father-in-law used to call them!)

I notice now, after reading other reviews, that there must be some amber in Juke Joint. That might be what ruined it for me--amber and I don't get along!

Powdermint.

I do get a burst of alcohol initially. I love the way it wafts around me. Mmm...good stuff.

I love bourbon, I love sugar, I love mint. Sadly this smelled of neither very strongly on me. :P Initially it is verry smoky and kind of dry smelling on me, then the mint peeps out a bit. There is no warm or boozy scent though and no sugary sweetness. :D It is a very rough and masculine scent and for some strange reson it smells very woody on me.

Although it is not at all what I had hoped for, I guess it fits the description. Smelling this reminds me of a big, unshaven lumberjack in a flannel shirt who is chewing tobacco. Definitely a rugged and manly blend, but not for me.

First sniff from the bottle-Booze and mint!

After 15 minutes- At first this was all warm golden brown booze, and then the mint came out in full force! This is one of the mintiest blends I have tried so far. It smells like bourbon and spearmint gum mixed together.

Summery- This one smells exactly like it is supposed to. Minty booze all the way.

Juke Joint: ehm mint? Hello? Are you there? O yes, in the background. The smoke and the dryness overpower it a bit. I have never had a scent where mint was in the background. Interesting.

I'm not familiar with the drink, but I think this perfume is very pleasant. It is a bit dry and almost earthy, with a dry mint freshing things up a bit.

FIRST SNIFF: minty!

WEARING IT: fresh and clean. the mint is what really stands out in this scent. in the background i faintly smell the bourbon. as it dries, the two seem to twist together and make a really interesting scent.

VERDICT: i think i may like this on my boyfriend more so than on me. the mint is really nice though.

Let me preface this by saying that my skin usually does not agree with BPAL's mint note, which is a shame as I love mint. Mojitos are one of my favourite drinks and I have been known to drown lamb under mint sauce in a way that used to make my French parents recoil with horror :P

But I digress.

My very first sniff of Juke Joint was not all that promising: in the vial and wet on my skin, all I could think of was vaguely mint-scented cleaning product. Hrm.

Come on, Juke Joint, I know that you can do better than that!

Ah, this is more like it: as it dries down, the mint starts coming through. I still do not get any booze or sugar, though.

After complete drydown, a sort of ambery note shows up and slowly drowns the mint in its powderiness. This is by no means unpleasant, but it is not outstanding either.

I guess I was expecting something much crisper and fresher. I will have to try Juke Joint again as it does not look like it quite found its pace on my skin the first time around. I will come back and edit if there is any significant improvement.

Edited by Ishtar

This strongly reminds me of Helping Hand. They have the same mint (and yes not all mints are created equal. I am a bit of a mint snob). Other than that Juke Joint is boozier but has a similar feel to it. It doesn't go to baby powder on me, but there is definately a powdery element after dry down. This kind of reminds me of those pastel mints you often see at bridal showers, etc. The slightly powdery ones that melt in your mouth.

This one did some weird stuff on me. It was never really minty, more... well... kind of musty and boozy. I didn't think I had an aversion to alcohol-y scents (I like several blends with rum) but maybe bourbon is a different story.

The drydown turned almost into sandalwood at one point (!) then finally ended up a little spicy as well as woody. Where those notes were coming from, I don't know. In any case, it didn't quite work for me overall, and wasn't at all what I was expecting.

Mint julep!

The mint is very pronounced initially. It is a herbally-fresh-green mint sprig instead of pepperminty-gum-Altoids mint. Very accurate, but fleeting. Mint said hello and goodbye very quickly.

Initially, I got the alcohol/boozy quickly followed by the sweetness of the sugar. This lingered a while. I was afraid of smelling boozy, but it wasn't overwhelming at all.

In the drydown, I was left with a powdery and smoky feel with a bare hint of the boozy resonance.

It reminded me of how a splash of Mint Julep on the front porch would smell at the end of a lazy summer day. Quite nice...not over the top or overdone. Just about right in my opinion.

Juke Joint would be completely heavenly to me if it were only warm bourbon and sugar, minus the mint. I never have been fond of anything with mint in it. For about the first half hour after putting this on, it smelled like a minty lime bathroom cleanser. After that it begins to soften and get sweeter as the sugar and warm bourbon come out (which I love), but they are still dominated by mint. It is definitely interesting... but still too bathroom cleanser for me to want to wear it as a perfume. The mint itself is very sweet and light, I just (sadly) have trouble wearing anything minty.

If you like mint at all, this is very lovely.

Ohhhh noooooo!

Juke joint turned immediately to powder on me -- not baby powder, but old-lady-perfume powder. I'm having trouble getting rid of the scent now, despite washing it off, and it's making me sneeze up a storm.

I was SO looking forward to this one!

This one starts out very light and faint. I can barely smell the mint. It has a powdery quality too at this first stage. After a few minutes the powdery note gets stronger and it smells sweet and floral with a hint of mint in the background. I don't get any bourbon note in this. After about an hour this sweetens and has a vanilla note. This is nice but not nearly as minty or boozy as I was expecting and much more powdery than I thought. I will try my imp a few more times and see if it really works for me or not.

this smelled so good in the imp, but it just doesn't agree with my skin. it's all mint on me. :P

edit: i tried this one again after a week or so and lo and behold... it smelled wonderful! sweet booze with just a hint of mint.

i've worn it again and got the same result. happiness!

strange how it works like that sometimes.

Edited by angel sixgun

Juke Joint

Ah, sugared, boozy mint-how I love you. It reaches this perfect stage of something between minty pipe tobacco and sugar love on me. In fact, one nurse at work calls it my pipe tobacco perfume. It's because of that dry, almost woody stage that it reaches at the end for me. Something about this is a wonderful companion to Tombstone. It's almost as if Juke Joint is cooler version - if that makes any sense.

Lovely lab frimp and since I've never so much as sniffed a mint julep, I don't know what to expect.

Wet on skin it remains very true to the vial, an almost medicinal smelling mint, like I would imagine some kind of nineteenth-century physick. The sweet kicks in and the medicine tones down quickly as it dries and that scent remains true throughout. Now I get kind of a barbershop smell, from about fifty years ago. What I am describing may not sound good, but it is just delightful. Juke Joint is a man leaving a barbershop after a cut and a shave on a hot summer day. Wait a minute, it is Jimmy Stewart or Spencer Tracy, or maybe even Humphrey Bogart leaving a barbershop, and the barbershop is in LA.

Well hello sir, I believe I *am* going your way. :P