Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Juke Joint

A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

In bottle: booze, sugar, mint. Smells like a very nice mint julep.

On me: starts out boozy and sugary, but the mint gets really amped up by my skin, and takes a very harsh note. I wonder if it might be better made with a rum and citrus note... like mojitos?

Ugh. When I applied this, it smelled like straight up rubbing alcohol. Very sharp and dry. As it dried and mellowed on my skin, it did get a little sweeter, but definitely not something I would choose to wear.

As many others have said, Juke Joint is all about mint juleps - but in the nicest possible way. I applied this with much trepidation, boozy notes can be awfully cloying on me and mint tends towards sharp and bitter.

No need for concern. This is a surprisingly gentle blend, clean and fresh and pretty without being even remotely soapy. Unexpectedly lovely and not very boozy on me at all, its value is in its uniqueness.

This stayed close to my skin and faded to almost nothing after a couple of hours so won't be a big bottle purchase. Was fun to wear though. :P

In the imp: hmm, creme de menthe. sugary sweet mint and alcohol, in other words.

On me, wet: well, now it smells like peppermint. it's nice, in a sinus-clearing way. I hope it calms down a little, but even if it doesn't this is a refreshing change from all the terrible honey scents I've been trying recently.

On me, dry: hey, surprisingly nice. It's a minty alcohol-ish sort of scent, but it's more like a good laid-back mint julep than a sticky mint liqueur.

Verdict: I received this as a frimp. I'm not sure how often I'll want to smell like a mint julep, but I think I'll keep this around anyway.

A fresh, complex scent. I get the mint, which is perky, but there's not much sugar and I'm not sure about the bourbon. I certainly DO get a background dirt note, a good wet dirt, and something that smells like sweetgrass or a dandelion stem. It smells like a sunny day in New Orleans after a hard rain.

The scent doesn't change on my skin. It's cool without being aquatic, and it's not really herbal, either--hard to pin down. But it's beautiful and PERFECT for spring and summer. My next order will have a big bottle of this.

Lobster Rating

Better than: driving through a really big puddle

Now THAT is some truth in advertising right there. In the imp, Juke Joint is bourbon and leafy mint. On me, it's a lovely mint (the herb, not the peppermint) rimmed in sugar and flush with alcohol. It's like a grown-up version of Lick It. It fades pretty quickly, but it's tasty as hell while it lasts.

Mmm. Juke Joint. How did I overlook this one? Oh yeah, cuz I am drowning in imps. The soft, lazy mint is the first thing I notice. It's not toothpasty, or cold; this is definitely a gentle, unbiting mint. A kiss of mint. The sugar is noticeable, and I love it. The bourbon note doesn't smell like bourbon to me- for some reason BPAL's boozy notes don't smell boozy to me usually... which is usually a good thing IMO! Instead it smells a wee bit smoky, a little dusty, and I totally LOVE it. Come to think of it, it is almost kind of skin musky on me. Beautiful.

I absolutely MUST have a full size of this on the next looney update. This is a gorgeous light unusual blend. Nothing quite like it. I think it's the mint and sugar making me drool. It's not a bit foody though, or toothpasty as I said.

Amazing. 5 out of 5.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

I must be the only southern gal in the world who has no idea what a mint julep smells or tastes like. Ah, well.

This is whiskey and mint in the bottle, a drinkable smell that warms to a delicious spicy mint with a hint of sassafras and just a brush of smoke. This one feels cold in the back of my throat when I sniff it. The throw is sasparilla, reminds me a lot of Laudanum. Boozy but pleasant, a laid-back scent with a casual flair that reminds me of Doc Holliday in Tombstone. Someone who knows how to have a good time and looks damn good doing it, even if they are driving themselves into an early grave.

A word about the mint: while strong, it's not like toothpaste or breath mints. This is a green, herbal mint, like leaves chewed fresh from the garden. I don't care for mint flavorings or mint scents, but this is agreeable because it's quite natural, and the way the blend is constructed it's just an integral part of the opening phase of the scent.

It does tone down after a bit into a less sharply minty scent; just a sweet boozy halo that lingers. It's a little dry and powdery, but it's a spiced powder that I don't really mind. On extreme weardown, it's sawdusty and root-beery. Very . . . well, kinda hayseed, actually. I like it, in a "Let's close the blinds, lock the doors, and secretly watch Roadhouse!" kind of way. At this stage, it lasts a long, long time.

Unisex, agreeable, and just a little sexy.

First Impression: Wood and ozone, showered with mint.

Dries down to: The mint tones down ever so slightly and blends in with the wood and ozone. After a while, a drift of smoke wafts in and, finally, it turns soapy.

Additional Comments: Reading the description really surprised me (happens quite often to me with these blends). I get the mint but not even a hint of sweetness or booze. To me it feels like I've walked into a room where the wood floors have just been refinished and there's a row of pots with fresh mint on the window sill. I wish it were more of a mint julep scent on me.

Lasted: An hour or so.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

I thought it was appropriate to review this one during Derby week!

preconceived notions: Mint juleps remind me of Churchill Downs (not neccesarily juke joints....hmm) and I really hope this scent evokes that. Including of course the mint and booze smell, but also sunshine and cigars and just lots and lots of people packed into the infield.

in the vial: Hello mint!

wet: Very mint - it's a fresh, clean smelling mint, like the sprig of mint in your glass, but underscored by the warmer bourbon. This is the second or third time I've tried this one, and it's even more minty now than on previous tests.

dry: The mint fades more and more, until it's almost entirely a boozy/musky scent that reminds of me bars and cigarettes, and maybe like....someone's grandad. But in a good way! It's funny, it's starts out so light and fresh, and then by the end of the night is so musky and warm, with only the tiniest hint of sweet mint.

season: Any season, really. Will be great this summer.

office-friendly? Not so much! haha. I use this one for going out.

overall: As a Kentucky girl, I have to keep this one for sentimental reasons, but it's also fun to wear.

Hmm... first applied, it's minty and sweet and the faintest hint of cigarette smoke (???) I don't see that in the notes, but it's what I get (corroborated by an independent sniffer). I'm not sure about mint scents on me, but I do well with sugar and booze, so I keep the faith.

Dries down quite quickly to a sugary sweet scent. The booze is fairly tame and the mint has gone from top note to very subdued. I can barely smell it at this point (the mint), but it does lend an almost 'clean' feeling to the sweetness. There's a depth/spice that I can't really place under all the sugar. Nice enough, not in my top 5 or anything, but a nice sweet scent.

Gone almost immediately. Peaked between 10-30 minutes. Barest traces remain past an hour.

This imp's of unknown provenance so I'm not sure how old it is and if that's affecting the potency. I like the sweetness though, so I think it's going in the pile for spray/lotion experimentations... muahaha!

Juke Joint gives the impression of "cool, aromatic" and for some reason reminds me of waxed dark oak floors. It doesn't have a lot of throw, but blends nicely into my skin and could be a clean everyday scent.

Even from the imp I never smelled the mint note, but I do get a strong boozy sweet scent that I really like. Over the next 10 minutes on my skin it really warms up. My skin really eats up the fresh scents and they never stick around. The sweetness really lingers.

I'd use this for a night out on the town as well, definitely alittle too morning after for my office.

I really like it!

Jenn

The first scent I can pick out in this is mint. Then it turns into a sweet boozey scent with the barest bit of mint... blends like this are what makes BPAL the paragon of perfume excellence that it is. I have never smelled anything like this. It's like springtime, but it's a fun spring day -- like one of the days when you have a few drinks with good friends and you all end up skinny-dipping in the lake.

The scent that I can tell is bourbon reminds me of my grandmother, which is kind of weird. Makes me wonder if Grandma was in the habit of taking a nip from a hip flask when I wasn't looking.

Wears close to the skin; not a lot of throw.

ETA: And this is why you should always test frimps from the Lab... I got one of Juke Joint recently, and I remembered that it wasn't for me. I tested it again today, and wow! I think it smells wonderful! My tastes have changed in 15 years since I first tried it.

Edited by filigree_shadow

This is so weird on me because the predominant note I'm detecting is sandalwood. O_o Woody-oaky and a little dry, with a hint of mint and sugar, but still sandalwood.

If I let this drydown, though, I get a very slight booze note and the sugar really starts to warm up with the mint so that I'm left with a woody but very intrigueing and almost smoky scent.

In the imp: Mint!

Wet: Mint candy. It smells like a hard candy my grandparents used to keep around. Unfortunately I really don't like the smell of mint.

All I can smell is Estee Lauder's Youth Dew... in the vial and on my skin. Tested it once, and I really just don't like it. Youth Dew is my mom's "special occasion" perfume, and I don't want to smell like my mom. :P

But... I got no mint or sugar or anything where I could pick out a note at all.

Whoa. I smell like I've been drinking whiskey sours since morning. Not the best scent to try out at work. :P

I don't have mint or sugar, just booze.

In the imp: mmmm, mint julep. Reminds me of the time that we mixed them up in gallon jugs for a company lunch - ahh, good times. How I've missed you, minty bourbon. My Southern accent is already getting stronger just smelling this concoction of the Gods. :P

Wet and dry on skin: Sweet mint. Mint with sugar. Minted sugar. No matter how I phrase it, it's still the same - somehow the bourbon has disappeared totally.

Overall: 9.5/10. I don't care (all that much) that the bourbon's gone bye-bye, I do so adore a good sugary mint. I think this will probably be my signature scent of the summer.

I ordered Juke Joint for Brian, since he makes a mighty fine mint julep; I have high hopes for this!

Bourbon with...the powdered-sugar note from Midway! :P And the merest sprig of mint. He's going to love it--a great summer scent for those who wear foody/boozy scents in the colder months. Clean and fresh, but still both foody AND boozy in a light, crisp way.

ETA: And way sexier on Brian than on me. I LOVE it on him! Good call; I pat myself on the back. :D

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

Disclaimer: I've only once had a mint julep, and it was so many years ago I've forgotten what it smelled like. So I can't say whether Juke Joint smells like one or not. That said, on me it's more or less like this:

Initial application: Booooooze! And something sweet.

After a while: Still boozy. Whatever the alcohol-esque note in Hellfire is, I think it's in this one as well. Oddly, I get hardly any mint. Maybe I have mint-suppressing skin chemistry.

Drydown: Like Hellfire without the smokiness. I like Hellfire better, on the whole.

Juke Joint initially smells like hay and reminds me of my mother's barn. After dry-down, however, the hay smell turns into something that's sweet and slightly arid. At about the 2-1/2 hour point, the tiniest pinch of mint peeks through. This is the first BPAL scent in which I can honestly say I don't mind the mint in it. I merely tolerate the mint in some of my other favorite BPAL scents (e.g., Spooky). In this case, I enjoy it and think it adds to the overall blend. It begins to fade at about the 3 hour point. It doesn't have much throw even when freshly applied. It's certainly not a bad scent, but not one that's really up my alley, and I doubt I'll try it again.

In the vial: Minty, with a hint of booze

On me: Pretty true to the vial smell. Unfortunately it got a little funky after a while, and my mom had an allergy attack because of it.

Verdict: Off to the swap/sale pile.

Rating: 2/5

In the imp, this smells like sweet booze or cologne that has gone “off”. Once on, it sweetens up and the mint becomes more apparent. Wet, it retains a bit of the off cologne smell, but that morphs pretty quick. I always thought that I liked the scent of booze, and I do, but this doesn’t smell particularly like booze to me. It’s a lot more subtle, perhaps it’s the mint that does it. It smells vaguely herbal. The mint, while there, isn’t particularly strong, it’s more like a hint of mint. But it’s just enough. I like this scent but I’m not particularly bowled over by it. But I do enjoy the smell of booze.