Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Juke Joint

A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

woooo hooooo.

this is a mint julep in an imp.

loads of mint, booze, sugar.

nothing else to say, really. really!

I was hoping to get some strong bourbon scent out of this one... mmm bourbon!

In the imp: Strong alcohol-like smell, not quite bourbon but everclear alcohol, with some other astringent-like smell.

Wet: Bourbon and a sliver of mint

On me: Strong talc powder. I can only smell the bourbon very close, and the powder smells so strongly it's not worth wearing.

Overall: Sadly, I will have to leave this to someone else... hopefully some other boozy scent will come along that will work on me.

I wasn't really expecting to like this one. I don't smell the alcohol aspect very much, I smell mint and powder.

But it's powder with a tang. I wore it out to dinner a month or so ago and my grandmother commented on it.

If this is what a Mint Julep tastes like, I'll have to order one sometime.

This isn't an every day fragrance for me, nor an mmmm I smell sooo good I want to gobble myself up fragrance, but I'll keep the imp for a change now and again.

Well, this started off slightly boozy and slightly minty. It is very mild, and hardly smelled like anything at all.

Until the patchouli took over. I don't know if there is patchouli in this, but my skin amplifies that scent quite a bit, and it smelled just like patchouli on me.

That earthy scent had a sweetened edge, which I think is the influence of sugar and mint. That was a blessing, because I would like that earthiness if it didn't make me smell like a bus stop.

It has almost completely faded away now, leaving only a faint powdery mintiness.

jukejoint.jpg

Powerful and astringent, I honestly can't say that I smell mint in this, or burbon either. If you want mint julep, I'd recommend Aglaea for that, oddly enough. There is a heavy element of stone about Juke Joint, and a frenzy which you can only say goes with what it is. Rockin' at the Juke Joint. Now Juke Joint does contain a perfumy element sweating away deep down doin' the dirty, and it's a true action scent, almost masculine. It's fun and serious at the same time and an unusual picture of something which could have been much more mundane.

Wow, this is gorgeous. Again, mint usually turns bitter on me, but not in Juke Joint.

The very first note I detect is mint, as it dries down, a warm, boozy scent comes out. This, to me smells like mint shnapps, or mint vodka (without smelling old and sour).

I LOVE this, a 5ml is definitly in my future ^^

I wish this one smelled like Kentucky bourbon and a sprig of mint. It definitely smells boozy in the imp, but the second it touches my skin it screams cheap men's cologne. Ack! What happened?! I had to wash it off right away. I'm sad. :P

Ennnnnnnnhhhhhhhhhh it's mint with a slight alcohol undertone. My problem with it is that I can smell a kind of sickly sweet alcohol, like a spilled rum underneath the mint. It's a bit too sweetish for me. I can't explain what in this turns my stomach but something certainly does.

Something peppery in here too... the mint mellows out and gets topped by the sweet booze as it sits on my wrist.

I'm really going back and forth on this one.

It's going more cleaning product on me- it's the after-tingle of it, the kinda "cool in my nose" feeling.

wow boozy it is. Usually this is a good thing for me, but mint is usually not a good thing for me. At first this is a super strong drink, then it fades a little and mellows. But then my skin and the mint turn it into an ugly bar brawl and the mint wins, but it's all bruised and mashed up and not so nice as it started out. So, uh, this isn't going to be a keeper.

In the bottle: all I smell is alchol, at first sniff, but not rummy alcohol - it's more like rubbing alcohol. On second sniff I get the mint in there, too, but it's nothing at all like I thought it would smell.

Wet: strong, strong mint and strong, strong astringent alcohol. It's nothing I would want to wear to smell good, though it did clear my sinuses!

Drydown: I might have kept it for aromatherapy if the drydown didn't turn quite so generic-men's-cologne on me. Which is weird, because my skin has a tendency to turn even men's cologne sweet. From the description, I was hoping this one would smell like a mint julep - but really, not so much.

In the vial: I'm not sure what Kentucky Bourbon smells like, or any sort of Bourbon for that matter, but I suppose this scent could be classified as very slightly boozy. It's sweet mint, in a nutshell. Mostly it smells like a candy cane... or, no, it's more like peppermint-flavored dental floss!

Wet: The sweetness ebbs away slightly and makes way for a hint of something green. Otherwise, it doesn't change much from the original scent. It's very faint on my skin.

Dry: The sweetness has faded even more, and I'm not smelling anything boozy at all. The mint and that greenery remain.

An hour later: Still green, herbal, minty... but it's turned creamy, though not in a sweet sense. It reminds me so much of Buck Moon!

Overall: I'm surprised at how minty this turned out to be, when it claimed a "sprig" of mint. Right, more like a whole tree of mint. It would've been nice if the sweetness had stuck around, but as it is, I'm not happy with Juke Joint.

In the imp: boozy, almost musty with a hint of mint

On my skin: mens cologne and sawdust. I can't figure this one out at all.. my skin loves mint and boozey scents, but this just disappears into something unsettling.

verdict: swaps - my skin hates it.

This reminds me a bit of Jolly Roger.. though this is definitely more masculine, where Jolly Roger could swing both ways with a bit more ease.

Mm.. though as it dries, the booze and the sugar mix to an intoxicating finish. I don't get any mint, but that usually fades fast, so I'm not missing it. Oh dear would this be sexy on a man or what?

Must apply to boyfriend liberally.. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. Snake Oil for men!

Juke Joint:

In the bottle: I smell mint (slightly) and...alcohol. But, like rubbing alcohol. Not bourbon or drinking alcohol.

Wet: The mint comes out strong.

Drydown: The mint is still there, with what I think is the bourbon. However, I'm getting just a hint of powder. NO NO NO! I want this one to work! Later on, it morphs into mostly powder. Gah! I mean, the mint and bourbon are there, but only just. *cries* I wanted to like this one so much!

Conclusion: give this one more, longer test. If it's still powdery after several hours, sell. *sniff..sniff...CRY!*

Update: Yeah, it just turns to powder. Sell.

Juke Joint

In the imp: mmm, boozy sweet mint. This reminds me of a cocktail I drank on my 18th birthday! I'm hoping the booze note in this behaves itself.

Wet on skin: yay, the booze isn't being evil on me! This is lovely!

Dry on skin: wow! This is an unexpected surprise-I really, really like this even though it has a bourbon note! It's minty but not overly so, there's the bourbon which is prominent-in a good way, it's not screaming on my skin, and the sugar is there too. As I said before, this blend reminds me so much of my 18th birthday…or was it my end of exams celebrations? Whatever it was, I remember drinking a cocktail with a strong spirit (can't remember what) poured over ice with brown sugar and mint. It was either a mojito or a mint julep. It was delicious…and this scent is too.

After a while: I love the deep sweetness this has. Like brown sugar and a shot of bourbon. Maybe amber too, strangely enough. It still has it's minty note to it, but isn't blatantly mint scented-everything's so nicely balanced here. This scent is laid back and makes me feel good inside.

I really like the drydown after a few hours…a sweet, slightly resin like scent which is very enjoyable.

Verdict: ever since my brush with Hellcat's rum, I've given BPAL strong booze scents a wide berth. Mild booze like wine and cider I can cope with, but I decided to avoid anything with rum, brandy, vodka and bourbon…until now. This has bourbon, and I love it. the booze in here doesn’t amp up to the nth degree-it's very pleasant and gives the scent character. I love the sweetness from the sugar and the light mint dancing on top. This reminds me of a celebratory cocktail I had once, it smells so genuine…and the sweet smooth sugary drydown is very nice.

I'm so surprised by Juke Joint. Normally I can't do the alcohol notes...they make me feel kind of queasy. But I sniffed this at the NYC Meet-n-Sniff last month and promptly feel in love. And then, those prescient Labbies included an frimp of this in my latest order.

I love the mint and sugar here, and the bourbon note is really warm and golden. It does go a little powdery after a while, and the mint doesn't stick around as long as I'd love it to, but the drydown is very cozy. It wears sort of like a minty Haunted on me, yum.

My husband is wearing this one even as we speak...he's really liking it a lot, and i have to say it's bringing out a bit of the :P in him :D

On him, it's a robust minty smell, with a bit of sweetness. The bourbon is there, but i'd never be able to identify it as such without the description.

He says it's a keeper for him. We'll see if he wants a bottle as he works through the imp.

I was hoping that this would be a fresh and minty scent, but alas, I got no mint out of it. I definitely smelt the alcohol, but on my skin it morphed into something that smelled more of baby shampoo than bourbon. *pout*

I've already swapped it away to a better home.

Vial: Exactly like an alcoholic mint chocolate.

Wet: Minty sugar with the alcohol stopping it from being too sweet and cloying.

Drydown: I smell like a boozy After Eight chocolate mint (do you have those in the US?) Mmm. Weird, but tasty.

i had to try this one because i love bourbon and thought this was a cute idea for a scent. sadly, it didnt really work well on me, which i kind of expected. still had to try it though. it was very boozy with the freshness of mint, but was just too masculine for me.

I love this scent. It's so simple. Burbon+ sweet vanilla mint= perfection

Sadly it only lasted 30 minutes or so on me.

This one is going on my x-mas list!

I'd forgotten about the description by the time I'd tried this, but given the name, I expected Juke Joint to smell like root beer. And it sort of does, in a sweet, browned tangy sort of way, at the beginning, but after an hour, it just smells like Snake Oil sans vanilla--i.e. the spices in Snake Oil after it's been aged a while (at least this is what my aged Snake Oil smells like), which smell like incense-y spices. That's pretty much all I get (for a while, I thought there was vetiver, but then I realized it was coming from the Blood Kiss on my other arm, hehe).

Edited by malanna

I don't get bourbon, mint, or sugar. I get a straight shot of brassy men's cologne, like the kind of cologne a man who sat in a Juke Joint drinking bourbon would wear. Not to my taste.

On drydown, this smells like… Haunted? I wonder if this has black musk. I’m getting Haunted, plus something sweet . I’m sure this doesn’t make any sense. Checking the notes… er.. Bourbon, sugar and mint?? I guess I’m getting the sugar, but no mint at all. The bourbon might be fooling me into sensing musk. It’s warm and sweet and somewhat comforting, but not what I’d expected.

Throw is fairly wide, but it’s fading pretty quickly.