Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

A Place of Seeing

Hope renewed: pink rosebuds and lavender with amber-gilded sandalwood, vanilla bean, bergamot, and marshmallow.
Edited by Seajewel

In the bottle, I get lavender, rose, ambery sandalwood, and some marshmallowy sweetness.

On my skin, the ambery sandalwood and pink rosebuds are the first notes that appear, followed by the marshmallow and the lavender. When I saw the notes when this scent was released, I thought it could be in the same family as De Vos' Unicorn and Rose Quartz Bedroom, but with some resins thrown in. But it is more like Good Morning, London with pink rose and lavender marshmallow pillows. This makes me so happy, because I have been hoarding my last few drops of Good Morning, London and have been looking for more for years. Over time, it becomes less sweet and more about the amber and sandalwood, with the lavender and pink rose cozying up to the resins.

If you loved Good Morning, London, and you like pink rose, you will love this. I have been kicking myself for only getting one bottle of Good Morning, London from the Lilith 2016 update, but I will not make that mistake with this scent. This is multiple-bottle worthy. :heart: 

This is so beautiful; if you enjoyed Rose Quartz Bedroom or other rose/marshmallow scents with a twist, I definitely recommend this. I smell the lavender, rose, and bergamot the most at first, with the bergamot lending that almost-citrusy tea quality. The marshmallow and vanilla bean really shine in the dry down, though, elegantly sweet and soft, with the sandalwood/amber keeping the vanilla marshmallow from veering gourmand. This will be wonderful for everyday wear.

tested from a decant, rested 1 day

on application, the sandalwood and bergamot hit loudest, followed by the lavender, pink rose, and vanilla bean. this sandalwood is dry and warm.  i was surprised to pick out the vanilla bean so distinctly, and although it sweetens things up, this scent is far from gourmand territory. i wasn't in love at first, but the drydown really changed my mind, as that's where the marshmallow and pink rose really sing! the marshmallow here reminds me of poesie's base layering note, which fluffens things up.

soft, innocent, and pillowy.
lower throw, wears close to the skin.

Edited by murqmaid

I pronounce this: delightful!

A very pretty, girly sort of scent that still has a nice level of intrigue. These florals are strong but the TEXTURE is soft and sweet. Vanilla/sandalwood/amber makes it smooth and very approachable, and keeps it from reading as overly youthful. There's a bit of zing and marshmallow sweetness in there too. This lasts for a good, long time. There aren't any scent surprises here, the notes read true to themselves, but it is just pretty beyond belief - a real waltzing dress of a perfume.

This is beautiful! If you love blends like Love, De Vos' Unicorn, or even Rose Quartz Bedroom as another poster mentioned, this is right up your alley.It is different enough from those fragrances to justify a bottle, but it is in the same scent family, at least on my skin. The rosebuds and lavender are incredibly delicate, and are sweetened by vanilla and marshmallow. 

It's very feminine, even princessy in an elegant sort of way, and delicately sweet. If soft, pastel pink had a smell, it would be similar to this. 

A Place of Seeing Lilith: a soft marshmallow pillow, not too sweet, with some flower petals scattered on it. The bergamot is keeping everything from being too sweet, but it isn't sharp or citrusy.

This was a little too sickly sweet at first, but once I gave it some time to dry, the amber-gilded sandalwood came forward and helped round out the sweetness of the rosebuds, vanilla, and marshmallow. There's a faint background note of something a little more citrusy which I assume is the bergamot. It is very pretty - and the amber sandalwood grounds it, keeps it from being "delicate pretty."

amber, lavender, vanilla, marshmallow, rose. it's all there.

no bergamot?

this is great. super sweet, honestly, but very cozy.

i oftentimes will put on a scent in the morning & a different scent in the evening 

but once i put this on in the morning.... everytime i thought about applying a new scent throughout the day, i had to go back and do this one again. got stuck in my head! 

it's very nice. i dont see myself needing a second bottle right now, but i will surely be happy to hold on to mine.

A Place of Seeing is my favorite lilith this year so far. Gorgeous! In the imp, its all vanilla cream flowers, but the sandalwood comes out a lot once on. Its soft, sweet, woody, and full but not loud. The florals arent as individually recognizable on because it all blends so well, though it comes and goes as it morphs. (As for bergamot, I've never been good at picking it out and this is no exception.)

Im not sure what else to say about this one other than I love it!

This one is interesting and so far isn't playing out as I'd thought it might. A Seeing Place opens with the same sweet, cuddly but somewhat bright lavender note in last year's You are Not Alone. And it weirdly kinda just stays there, with this dusty, almost antique lace vibe to the whole affair.  It is sweet without being cloying as I don't directly read marshmallow in the sweetness, herbal without being bracing, and grounded by an unobtrusive sandalwood. Rose is somewhere but not at all prominent. No bergamot for me, not even through the dry down.

I do really really enjoy this. It's a beautiful lavender speckled antique lace carefully placed in a well loved wooden cabinet. The cabinet holds the ghosts of yesteryear's sweetness, with a little dust and woody redolence. Quiet but never quite disappearing. Enchanting. And yet, I'm not 100% sure I NEED a bottle. Will wait until order day to decide.

Edit: Nevermind, this is gonna be an fs upgrade, lololol its STELLAR. My three/four swipe application lasted from 9am work start to 12am evening bong rip. I had to go to the Mall (9th circle of hell) and catching whiffs of this while grinding my teeth in annoyance was so charming, so enchanting i just can't pass on it.

I do have to say, despite all the comparisons to ultra femme scents, ball gowns, princess dresses and rose quartz bedroom/pink colours - a seeing place isn't that for me.  Lilith's lavender is an absolute champ on my skin, standing firm against the sweeter notes for the duration of the scent's life. On my skin, A Seeing Place is a bundle of impossibly starlit, perfectly pastel purple lavender floating in a sea of dreamy marshmallow cream, set in the finest sandalwood altar bowl you could possibly find. An elegantly restrained lavender fantasy, twinkling with a delightful but never overwhelming mallow sweetness and mellowed by an enchanting sandalwood. 

Edited by Llanval
Update

I think when I nabbed this one, I expected it to be fluffy, citrusy marshmallow with some woodiness from the sandalwood bringing down the florals. Instead, it's more like sweet floral lavender, delicate pink rose, and perfumey sandalwood are all dancing together on light clouds of airy marshmallow. I only catch occasional wafts of the vanilla and I don't catch much bergamot at all. Maybe as it ages the marshmallow and vanilla will become a bit stronger?

I can see this being a wonderful match for many people, but it is almost too floral for my tastes. If I layer it with a vanilla perfume, it is really stellar.

This is very, very pretty - almost too much so, for me! It's very perfumey on me - I think it's the florals plus the bergamot? I was hoping for more marshmallow + vanilla to balance the florals with cream. I'm wondering how it might layer with Ghost Milk or Gingerbread Mummy or something else vanilla/creamy - or even something foodie, perhaps...

ETA: I've started putting this on along with a vanilla bean lotion, and doing that combo before bed, and - just anecdotally - for the last four nights I've slept really well, better than normal! Usually it takes me ages to fall asleep, but something about this seems to be helping. 🙂

Edited by splendidissima

I like this a lot, and expect that most people will:  it's a soft, feminine scent.  Call me crazy, but it reminds me a lot of Antikythera Mechanism spiked with some florals and a little marshmallow.  I suspect this will be a FB purchase for me.  

This was close to the skin, but it's a beautiful soft creamy floral. Heavily amber and marshmallow on me, and I mostly got the pink rosebuds from this over the lavender. It was pretty close to the skin. It's pretty perfumey, but it does settle a bit once it dries down.

Have to agree that this is similar to Rose Quartz Bedroom! It reminds me of that one quite a bit! Definitely recommend if you liked that one from last year's Liliths.

Sweet marsmallowy lavender and a whiff of rose and sandalwood. It does sort of remind me to a lovechild between Sopor and Rose Quartz Bedroom from the last Lilith series. Good throw and wear length.

Marshmallow is one of my favorite smells, but in BPAL it usually turns to plastic on me. By golly, I keep on trying, but it's here, too.

Starts out spicy, almost like carnation. I'm guessing that's the lavender. It's a dry & herbal version. It blends nicely with the marshmallow to turn creamy and sweet, but didn't get much floral. Sadly, on me, the toasty-coconut-turns-plastic comes out and overtakes all. Just a heads up for any others suffering this curse.

This is not normally my kind of scent - pink roses are actually on my nope list - but thanks to all the delightful reviews, I thought it couldn't hurt to track down a decant and check it out.

Of course I kinda love it, and I blame the bergamot. It's warm and not overbearingly sweet, and ends up smelling like a rose resting its head on a lady grey marshmallow pillow.

Wet: vanilla marshmallow lavender reined in by that ambery sandalwood and bergamot, the rose, thankfully, is very light and fades into the background well

Dry: pretty much the same, only it gets even lighter, maybe a bit more into sweetly powdered lavender & tea territory

Very light throw and requires, on me at least, quite a heavy handeded application to really smell it, but it is lovely. Glad I picked up a bottle.

A Place of Seeing reminds me of scents like Morocco (but this isn't as powdery as Morocco is on me) and The Girl (but this is more sweet and creamy) because it has a slightly powdery, deep amber and sandalwood underneath an airy, sweet perfume.  The lavender and marshmallow are strong on initial application and then dissolve quickly into this airy, sweetened lavender that is like a cool breeze over the ambered notes.  I get no rose or bergamot at all from my bottle, and I'm fine with that.  I expected more sweetness from the vanilla and marshmallow, but this is more creamy and lightly, elegantly sweetened.  I love this one.

I was very much looking forward to this bottle, anticipating a rosy/vanilla, marshmallow lavender scent of my perfume dreams. Blind bottling is risky, but the notes, reviews, I thought ok, this will work, I know it. How can it not? These are my notes, I know this, the notes know this. 

I received the bottle, sniffed, and knew it needed to have some downtime. I thoroughly believe in the power of resting, aging. Both for perfume and people. So I let it rest, and rest some more, and take an extra nap with a frickin blanket and stuffed animal. I tucked this perfume in.

Then I applied it to my skin and what I smelled was Obsession by Calvin Klein. Virtually no marshmallow, no rose, lavender. It was all amb—no it was ALL OBSESSION, ALL THE TIME FOR ALL TIME.

I looked at the bottle, looked at the notes. The bottle. Notes. The BPAL website. The forum. Reviews. The wall. The sky. The stars. Inside my heart. 

obsession…by Calvin Klein. 

While I enjoy really old bottles of Obsession (I have a bottle from the late 90s skanking around my perfume cabinet like a lost cat) I just couldn’t hang with this. Definitely not what I expected. 

I have already swapped this away. It seems like everyone else has a much different experience with this than I do. Good. For. Them.

This one is a sleeper that came back and made me think I'd better get it before it comes down. Anyone who loves the deep, elegant drydown of Alkemia’s Silken Tent will probably love this-- there's a well-blended deepness, probably the ambery sandalwood, that is very reminiscent to me. I get the bergamot, lavender and possibly a faint rose at the beginning, before drydown, and hints of vanilla and marshmallow here and there, with the vanilla coming out a bit more as it wears on. 

In spite of the floral notes being listed first, they’re pretty faint on my skin. I’m getting the sweet warm amber and sandalwood. It’s very girly, classic, and pretty. I am just surprised I’m not getting any rose or lavender!

In the imp: Lavender, vanilla, and marshmallow.

Wet: The barest swipe of rose over a lavender-marshmallow and sandalwood sandwich. Sophisticated but also youthful, with a delicacy that's in no way fragile.

Dry: This one is very mild, and by the ned of the day, it settles off into a sheer vanilla sandalwood. It's extremely pretty but unfortunately short-lived on me, so I'm not regretting skipping a bottle and just getting the decant. Still very glad I had a chance to try it, the blend is right up my alley!

Stars: ★★★★

WOW beautiful! Parts of this remind me of Horses (and The Grey Columns) with some toasted amber sandalwood accompanied by a fluffy marshmallow lavender (so pretty) and a kiss of something girly-pink (rosebud). It's not a smack of rose, and you might not even know it's in here unless you really look for it. Even lighter on the rose than The Disciples. The marshmallow/vanilla is so appealing, it gives a much needed lightness and floof to the sobriety of the Horses kind of blend. Right now, it wears pretty close to the skin, but I could see that changing in the future. It's also a blend I think you could wear either at work because of its low throw and appealing vanilla nature, or at home because it IS quite cozy and snuggly.

I think this will age beautifully, and be a really lovely feminine but not overtly floral option. I am happy to add a last-minute bottle of this to my collection!