Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

Druid

A woolen robe infused with the scent of a vast, primordial forest: ancient trees, fertile soil, wild herbs, spring grasses, and burgundy pitch incense.

In the imp: Whoa! I do get the woolen robe from this, along with the soil, grass, herbs, and trees. The soil note is not the same one that I get from Deep in Earth and Zombi, and the grass note is definitely the spring grass described in the description (and not the dry grass note featured in some of the Lab's other scents). The scent is a bit sharp, and the burgundy pitch incense mingling with the grass and herbs are somewhat off-putting to my nose. Oh, well. Here goes!

Wet: Oh hai, dirt! This is very brown and green. I am pretty sure this is a wet (or freshly-upturned) soil note, and the grass note is pretty intense. The trees are in the distance, and the burgundy pitch incense is becoming more prominent over time.

Dry: The scent is softer now. The soil and grass have calmed down, and the herbs are stronger during this phase of the scent. The burgundy pitch incense is more like incense now as opposed to burgundy pitch. It smells like a meadow near a forest in the spring, strewn with flowers, and graced with the presence of incense on the breeze.

Verdict: I was intimidated by the scent of this one in the imp, but it is much more pleasant on my skin. I will keep my imp for RPG layering purposes, but I don't think I need a bottle of this one.

Wet - Earthy, a little spicy (but in the floral kind of sense) a bit citrusy. Really interesting!

This is reminding me more and more of Yorick - earth with a spicy floral note and a hint of sweetness.

I like this a lot! Just as I love Yorick. I will have to test them side-by-side to see if they're really that similar. I will for sure be using my imp up. This has that interesting BPAL "decay" note, which really should be disgusting but I find it beautiful and haunting.

Imp: Blast of GREEN!!!!
Wet on Me: Oh Hai Green! Green and soil
Drying Down: Still so very green. Forest-y green not aquatic green.
Dry: only after drying and settling do I get the incense notes with the Green. This is green but ancient with a touch of sweetness from the incense.

This starts really strong when first applied. It's an intense forest, very sweet trees. I think I get a kind of pine, but I'm not sure what else. I'm really digging it at this stage. It's kind of like a magical forest scent.

About 10 minutes into it, a lot of what makes it smell like a thick, dense forest is gone and more delicate herbs and grasses are left. I definitely get sage out of it, myself. I like it here, too, but after this it pretty much disappears within 30 minutes. It's kind of a bummer.

Very green upon first application! Now that it's dried a bit, it's basically just wet soil, as if I've just pulled a plant from the ground. Interesting, but not for my skin chemistry, I suppose!

I really liked the description of this scent - very earthy and grounding.

Wet, it smelled like soil.

Dry, it ended up smelling like grass. Think about how bertie bott's grass flavored bean tastes, and that is how this smelled on me...

Not for me at all, sadly. :(

I used to play a Druid in World of Warcraft years ago, so I felt an instant connection to this blend. It’s very green and light. I do smell the soil, but the incense is lighter than I expected (not a bad thing). Smells less like Druid and more like Herbology/Alchemy professions.

ETA 1/24/18: The fertile soil is strong at first. Still very loamy. It's a lovely smell, but not one I'd wear as perfume.

What I'd use it for: Honestly, I'd love this in an outdoor diffuser - here in SoCal, there's not nearly enough loamy soil smell and having this around me on a summer night would feel like home.

In the imp: earth, green plants, wildflowers, mint?

Wet: Loamy, mossy soil and various green things. No mint of any kind though. Did I imagine it? Maybe it's one of the herbs and got lost in the mix. There's florals, indistinct and mild enough that they don't irritate my head, and something sweet and slightly vanillic that must be the incense.

Dry: Everything green and foresty has been left behind, and only the sweet incense remains. Even that barely lasts an hour.

My preconception of druids is that of forest-dwelling hermits with intimate knowledge of nature's aspects. This druid is a young, inexperienced one that doesn't quite have a grasp on their spells yet and tries to make up for it with enthusiasm. They're fresh-faced and cute and fun to hang out with, but will probably flake out on you if the adventure gets dangerous.

I'm going to keep trying ths and hope I can get better longevity out of it somehow. It's SO promising.

This one was an imp that I got from an order a little while back. I’ll admit, the notes had me a bit shy to try it. Whole I didn’t expect it to be bad or anything, I’m just not a personal fan of some of the listed notes and I’ve never played a druid before. Still, it doesn’t hurt to try.

In the Imp: It smells like an old forest with some sharp, citrusy smell.

Wet on Skin: I definitely smell the forest: trees, soil, and cut gress. To be honest, I find those sorts of smells a bit stifling, but it definitely does its job of having the proper atmosphere. The citrusy note seems to back off pretty quickly, or maybe settles more into another tree scent.

Dry: it’s very faint now. I mostly smell fuzzy wool with a small, underlying sweetness. It makes me thibk of a cozy scarf or sweater. I feel like there’s still something green or earthy there, but it’s super light and I can’t catch an exact beat on it. Some of the sweetness might actually be from some Pumpkin Sugar I wore yesterday that I had bought on the previous year.

I’m kind of interested to see how this might do in a scent locket, especially since I don’t feel this one will last all that much longer.. While dirt and grass in particular feel stifling to my nose, I’m still curious because this does smell properly atmospheric for the druid class, which is cool, even if I’ve never personally played one.

This was the first BPAL I ever fell head over heals for, and I will love it till my dying day.

Full of vibrant, shadowy greens and thickly spiced browns. Brings to mind an ancient forest with the rotting logs of fallen trees, covered in moss and fungus, suffused with rich, tingly, WARM incense. "Primordial" is correct. This is such a deep, dark, complex herb scent.

Unfortunately, this happens to be one that I think suffers with age. It develops a citrus edge which is detrimental to the depth, at least on my skin.

In the imp: Soil and herbs. 

On my skin:

Wet, the sharp herbs are at the forefront of the scent. As it dries, the dirt becomes more prominent, and there's a hint of a lighter, almost floral, note, which I take to be the spring grasses. 

I never do get much woolen robe, but I also don't much care. 

I probably want to try layering this with something a little lighter, as it's still quite a dark green on me -- but I don't know that I've met the correct RPG layering scent yet. 

This was the first BPAL I ever put on my skin. I fell irrevocably in love with it, and ordered a full-sized bottle within a day of my first whiff. About three months later, I still love it just as much.

In the bottle, I get the soil, and it is *very* green, sharp and almost acidic. On the skin, it's still incredibly green, but much less sharp. To me, it smells like honey drizzled over wildflowers and dew-covered grass. The dry-down is not as lovely, there's a citrus quality to it that isn't really my thing, but the scent is overall so beautiful that I can forgive that!

Druid is a very evocative scent, and matches its description perfectly. It's a bit of an incongruous, mysterious scent to me, in that it reminds me both of a sunny spring meadow, and of the deep and dark parts of an ancient forest. It is both innocent and sexy, and a favorite for sure.

Druid is a scent that evokes an ancient forest where the trees are so large they don't allow a lot of sunlight to filter down, so everything is half in shade. If Elf is Lothlorien, Druid is Mirkwood or Fangorn. It's rich and loamy, shadowy and mysterious.  I love the combination of dirt and trees here, and the incense and wool give it dimension and mystery. I've only sampled my sister's imp, but will have to get some Druid for myself someday. 

In the imp: Fresh wet grass and herb sprouts in soil. I was instantly transported to an old growth forest with small plants sprouting in the bare soil after a rain. Instant love, made me long for a lakeside forest I knew from my childhood. @feyofthefellwood is exactly right, it's the smell of Fangorn Forest. 

On my skin: Fresh grasses and green sprouts with their roots still in the soil, just a touch of incense coming out as it dries. I'm head over heels in love.  

Wet: Post-rain forest and incense.

Dry: This reminds me very much of an incense my dad used to burn (I guess he liked burgundy pitch!). There's no smoke or heaviness to it, though; it's a really fresh, lively scent. This is really fabulous layered with woody scents (I've tried it with Lawful, the Stream and the Waterfall, and El Nuevo Puritano). 

Eventually this gets to sugar-and-incense for me. Lots of BPAL scents go really sweet on me once they dry, and I'm not sure why, but I'm not mad about it!

I applied without rereading the notes. Initially, I get that gorgeous soil note I love! As it dries down, this is a lovely dark green forest. A bit of an herbal note, then a whiff of a not quite menthol that quickly dissipates.  An hour later, this is a gentle, close to the skin musky forest. Lovely.

Dude another RPG frimp! I will have the whole collection by the end of 2021 at this rate, woo! I didn't expect to like this line as much as I do. Druid was very similar to Zombi to my nose initially, without the rose. More the loamy loam bits. Drydown I get pale grasses and loam and this absolutely will layer well with other players. Yeah I could see Fangorn smelling like this, but maybe less stuffy. Another win!

Wet on, it is much sweeter than I would have imagined.

I get sweet resins, incense and pitch, but I also get a sweaty, stinky patchouli - though maybe it is ambrette seed or a brown musk? - and vetiver.

The allover scent is dark brown, fuzzy, sweaty, outdoorsy - like a human being that is living in the wilderness, has dirt under their nails, not washed their robes in a while and is brewing a herbal tea while burning an assortment of incense to attune with nature.

I wish I got more pine, but it's mainly stinky arm pits and sweet incense when dry.

Yet another recent discovery from that batch I bought in 2014 and promptly forgot about. Will it ever end?!

In the imp: Deep rich loam, the sort you want to sink your toes into, wide moss-covered tree trunks, and softly-blowing reeds.

Wet: Soft woolens with mud-spattered hems, a belt tied with herb bundles, sturdy leather boots and gentle lemon soap.

Dry: Hardly any morph, and a short(ish) lifespan of 6 hours. Mild throw, but lovely when you catch it - I really did enjoy this scent.

Stars: ★★★★

A beautiful sweet green! Almost juicy in its freshness. Grassy, mossy, with a really pleasant soil note underneath and incense. The phrase 'sun dappled' comes to mind. 

Druid is the main class I play, and enough of this sounded appealing despite being a little out of my comfort zone that I got an empty try. I'm glad I did!

In the bottle: This smells like a garden while I'm working in it. Definitely an herb garden, I'm getting some sage and rosemary. Nothing smoky about it so far, but the soil appears to actually be nice here! I cannot smell the grasses at all though (and those seem to pick up on my skin).

Wet on skin: Still smells mostly the same, but the grass has come out to play pretty loudly. If it the grass settles down some, I think that I'll like this (which yay, this is one of my two main classes I play in D&D)

On drydown: Yeah, I like this! It's not my absolutely favorite, but I can see being in the mood for it. Slight smoky notes from the incense did eventually come out, along with smelling a little bit more foresty. Still definitely smells like the act of gardening. The grass did settle down some which was a relief.

Forcing the boy to put this on the moment he is unawares. This smells very rugged, which makes sense considering its well, a druid. But anyway, this smells like dirt. Dirt, musk, trees, grass, and something else darker underneath (smoke? incense???) It smells like I just got finished having raunchy sex with a werewolf on the floor of a forest in a patch of green plush grass. It's maybe not my speed but I ABSOLUTELY see this being mouthwatering on the boyfriend.