Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A master storyteller who possessed unfailing courage and compassion, a sharp, quick wit, and a true understanding of human nature. Saffron and Middle Eastern spices swirled through sensual red musk.

Starts off New Age shoppy

Then dries down to a nice spicy, dry, musky fragrance

Like I said with my Morocco review, I prefer the less dry spicy scents

Expectation: If any scent can conjure up an image, it's this one. Heat, spices, and a mysterious talent to enthrall.

First Impression (last year): warm, spice, male

I'm not usually one to gender things so it must have been quite a strong feeling for me to write that. When it came to finally doing these reviews one year on, Scherezade had a big exclamation mark on my list and I left it until last. This was because whenever I open the storage box it's the one scent that overpowers everything even from the closed imp. It's like it's shouting SPICE AND RED MUSK YEAH which is a bit intimidating.

However, the initial effect is misleading. Once on the skin, it does calm down a lot, and becomes more subdued than Sin, which is my "spicy" scent. So subdued, in fact, that I don't really get much from it. It's nice, but doesn't really grab me. I even wore it for writing once and wasn't really feeling it was inspiring in any way.

Verdict: I was hoping that it would work its magic, but ultimately it's not a keeper. For red musk, I prefer Fenris Wolf.

This is beautiful. It's very well-blended, to the point that it's hard for me to pick out any notes other than red musk. It's powdery in a warm, soft, sexy way, and whatever else is in here is softly spicy and just a touch sweet. It reminds me of sheer fabrics, warm nights, and red-orange. It's everything it aspires to be and I need to get myself a bottle.

In the imp: I thought it would be very similar to Morocco or Sin, but this is exactly the scent of Yin Yang, a hippie/New Age store in my hometown. Hellooooo, memories!

Wet: The clear intention is sensual, but to me, this smells incredibly comforting. Red musk is first and foremost, and there's a spiciness that's not nose-biting - no cinnamon or cassia that I can detect. Instead, this is the scent of Sebastopol, CA, circa 2005 (pop. ~5,000): comfortably aging hippies, co-ops with barrels of spices out front, jewelry made up of little coins, and incense everywhere.

Dry: Gets a little spicier, but the drydown is pretty linear. I'm not sure whether anyone without this specific scent memory will love Scherezade as much as I do, but as it stands, I went through the whole day wrapped in the warmest, loveliest cloud of nostalgia.

I really love this scent. It's a stunning red musk that is warmed and elevated by spices. It's not spicy, but spiced. I think it gives off an air of confidence. It feels very bold to me and feels dangerously feminine. It only deepens with age and I adore it.

I wasn't wowed by this when i first tried it, but i just got my imp out after about eight months and now it is absolutely DIVINE. This smells exactly like a witchy shop, in the best possible way. It's cozy, it's nostalgic, and has a rare and wonderful subtlety for something that smells so much like incense. Verdict: I need a full bottle. Possibly two full bottles.

Wet, it smells very juicy and round, almost fruity. An image of red silk curtains blowing mysteriously and beckoningly in the night desert breeze.

Dry, still very juicy, with a spicy undertone. The spices come out less than I'd hoped, but it's still nice. It threatens to go a bit soapy, but the spices keep it in check.

The musk stays quite fresh, and doesn't go sour as I'd feared it might.

On the whole: nice. Red musk isn't really my thing, but this is one I could wear. Will probably save for nights out when I need something slightly louder and more seductive than usual.

In the (aged) bottle: Red musk.

On my skin:

Immediately, it's red musk with throw for daaaaaays. It's probably Schaerezade's fault any time I'm disappointed by any other red musk blend. After the initial drydown, the scent profile is deepened by spices that I can't quite place. They're spices that I'd describe as "gentle" rather than sharp, and they're ones I don't typically associate with sweet or dessert foods.

I agree with reviewers who described this as a bold, round scent. It's not a scent that's overtly sexy or seductive on me, but it's still very much a scent that calls attention to itself. It's a scent that couldn't help but get me noticed in a smoky bar or crowded room.

I reeeeallly want to like this scent, I love the story and the idea of the notes, but I just... Ugh. Can't do it! 

Starts off off with a sharp soap note that quickly gives way to a drrrrrrrrry animalic musk. I tend to like thick sweet musks with resins. This one is making me want to gag :/ I think there might be my new arch nemesis champaca in the spice blend, making this extra blek on my skin. *sigh*

Already washed off and covered with a comfort scent to ease my sadness. :wacko2:

So cuddly. Soooooooo cuddly. Reading reviews made me a little wary to try this, since I'm not a fan of incense, and it smelled sharp in the bottle. And it definitely has an incense vibe to it, but this isn't any cheap and overpowering incense. The sharpness vanishes completely once applied, and it's all saffron-colored silk from there. Spicy, warm, not too sweet. I'm still a little nervous about smelling like incense, but the more it dries, the less I care about that because it's just so dang soothing. I'm really glad to like this as much as I do, since I it's named for a character I idolized since childhood. Really does make me want to curl up and listen to stories read out loud. So cuddly.

I do like this one. Something about it reminds me a bit of Snake Oil. It seems to have pretty good throw in the early stages of wear. I just wish it lasted longer on me! It seems to last 4-6 hours and then poof! Gone.

In bottle: Mainly patchouli, I believe. There’s a woody note too - cedar?

Wet: Almond and a soft, well-rounded patchouli.

Dry: Patchouli and almond and an almost honey-sweet musk. It’s a dry, powdery scent though, not oily, like the inside of a spice shop rather than foody notes. It’s not particularly sexy, but a gorgeous, mature combination. It makes me think of a woman who is confident in herself and not looking for anyone else’s attention.

It would be one of my favorite scents, but unfortunately my skin just sucks it right up. I’m lucky if there’s anything left after 2-3 hours.

The spices and musk in this are blended beautifully. So blended together in fact, that I can't really pick out any notes - it's just a big ol' blob of sensual, spicy goodness. It also lasts a long, long time. It's sweet, but not enough to make it a gourmand - it definitely belongs to the musk and spice families, so if you want sweetness without the sugar, this is the one for you. 10/10 - Scherezade can tell me her tale anytime