Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A master storyteller who possessed unfailing courage and compassion, a sharp, quick wit, and a true understanding of human nature. Saffron and Middle Eastern spices swirled through sensual red musk.

in the bottle a little sharpish and sweet with a rootbeery breath
wet on skin REEEDDDD MUSSSSSSKKK! which smells a little bit like dragon's blood here, kind of sweet and syrupy. not a fan of this phase.
dry on skin smooth, slinky, magical, absolutely gorgeous. how have i never tried this before? i'm tossing a bottle of this in my next order! Edited by ravenfeathers

I was huffing my wrist frantically, trying to remember what this reminded me of, and then it hit me --The Great Sword of War! This exactly what tGSoW smells like on drydown once the citrus vanishes...must the red musk/saffron combo. Lovely musky spicy incensey goodness :yum:

This was part of my first BPAL order, and out of the bottle was not sure what to make of it. There was a *very* sweet note in the imp and I was afraid that it would be too candy-like on my skin.

Well I needn't have worried. The scent is wonderfully complex and musky on my skin. I do still detect a touch of sweetness, but it is *much* more subtle than my first impressions. I relly like this as a grownup, exotic scent.

In the imp: I definitely get red musk.. but the spices etc are fairly prevalent as well. This reminds me a lot of a new agey store I used to go to :D

Wet: musky spicey and moist (strangely)

Drying down: Not a big morpher-- just a nice spicey red musk. Exotic and warm

ADDED Jan. 15:

Red musk and champaca, straight up :D

I love red musk and I get lots of compliments when I wear it (esp. spawn of the she-demon, that's a great red musk blend!)

I also love champaca but there is also something else going on in this blend that's keeping me from outright loving it, it's got a floral edge that's rubbing me the wrong way. I think I still prefer Spawn -_-

ETA: Ugh.. already reviewed this last spring, totally didn't remember :( SORRY!

Edited by Shollin

I bought 5ml of this unsniffed. Even without having tried all the notes (still can't identify the saffron for sure), I just knew it would work.

In bottle: A mix of spices and musk. It's pretty strong and incense-like.

On skin: The spices mellow out a lot and the whole thing gets quite sweet, but not cloying. My skin chemistry is happy with it. The only thing I would change is that it doesn't have much throw, and I would be happy walking around in a cloud of this stuff.

Verdict: I wish used record stores and New Age shops smelled more like this instead of the "we're trying to cover the pot smell in the back room" type of incense. Scherezade is spicy and exotic, yet subtle. It's become my signature scent.

First sniff: Exotic, smokey and warm. I can smell the musk and the spices. It reminds me of an old and dark bookstore with dusty books and lots of candles!

Wet on skin: very soft and lovely. Still smokey and also sexy in a "I want to cuddle" kind of way.

Drydown: Warm and Cozy. It still reminds me of an occult bookstore, but now I can also see a fireplace, a biiiig chair and a warm cup of chai tea.

Final thoughts: Maybe a teeny bit strong (I may have put on too much), but I will definitely wear it! Love the cozyness of this scent, and it is perfect for a rainy/snowy/cold day you just want to cuddle up in a chair with a big cup of the and read a book.

RMW->Wow, very high pitched.. like orange blossom, almost. Very similar to those "BLEH" scents, but with something titillatingly smooth in the background. Slowly changing into something different.. Morphing a lot. Seems to still have a hint of the orange blossom, but in a much less repugnant way. Not particularly spicy per se, perhaps its the musk that is most poignant? Almost something floral wafting throughout..Very feminine, without being too floral, too powdery, or .. Well, it just seems to get better and better. Maybe they are right about red musk week. Gets a sweetness to it, similar to vanilla or honey, but indistinct, with a slight powderyness but mellow. Not harsh, not daft, just mellow. A very happy musk-- not too musky, not too..anything else. Almost..like snake oil? Yes?

-- Tried again in locket. Nice scent to get wafts of. A little overbearing at times, though.

In the Vial: Spicy vetiver? *shudders* (Seems my nose is confusing red musk for vetiver, or vetiver is an unlisted note. :P)

Wet: Lots and lots of red musk. Just a hint of the spices; I'm not sure what saffron smells like, so I don't know if my nose can detect it or not.

Drydown: Still loads of red musk, but the spices have become more noticeable again, though it's all more well-blended than sniffing it outta the vial or wet. I vastly prefer this stage-- when the notes blend together more. Ick, it's getting slightly dusty. I'm really really not a fan of dusty scents. Ten minutes or so later, it's getting creamier which I like. I wonder if Dorian would layer well w/ this! ETA: twenty minutes later this is delicious! Yes, still very reminiscent of Mme. Moriarty, yet softer, creamier somehow. And a great GC substitute for whenever the CD acts leave town for good.

Verdict: I was pretty turned off by the vial scent and then the oil wet on my skin, but now that it's had time to work w/ my skin chemistry, I'm finding that it's a pretty nice blend. I think there are other blends w/ red musk that I prefer more (Mme. Moriarty comes to mind), and I don't like how it gets slightly dusty on me. No 5ml for now, but I'll definitely hang onto this imp for the time being.

This is one sexy scent. Especially on men!

Red musk & spices that are a perfect combo. I love when my boyfriend wears this scent!!!

:clap:

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet! Scherezade is one of my all-time favorite BPAL scents.

This is the perfect red musk. There's the sort of "juicy" quality that red musk has and it's paired with a gentle brush of spices. This is warm, sexy and absolutely gooorrgeous! :wub2:

This has always gave me images of a seductive belly dancer writhing through silk veils while lit candles flicker and make her shadow move across the wall.

I use this one to layer and "deepen" a lot of other scents. This goes really great with fruit scents that won't stay on my skin. The red musk helps keep it anchored down.

If you love incense/exotic perfumes you've GOTTA try this one. It's a holy grain scent for sure :)

First impression: Very very strong, musky, and very resiny. Didn't get much spice. Kinda smelled like overly strong incense and grandma perfume.

However the scent transformed into something much nicer when I put it on. Everything evened out and somehow took on a more of a "refreshing" quality. When I inhale deeply I can picture myself back in Sevilla Spain walking through one of the open air markets that was largely Moroccan merchants selling incense and various middle eastern wares.

Overall: :thumbsup: This is going to be one of those scents that I will definitely wear if the mood strikes me. Not the type of scent I normally go for, or something I'd wear on a day-to-day basis, but it's still a very beautiful, complex, and well done scent that will find its way into my collection.

In the imp: This smells like one of the small shops we have here in SA that are filled with pretty shiny trinkets, curiosities, wooden boxes, pretty scarves, bindis and incense. Hmmmm...

Wet: The incense smell is really strong and I think I am picking up a spice market maybe just outside the door.

Dry: This must be the red musk. It smells feminine and alluring and not THAT naughty, but still a bit naughty. Still with the incense.

A while later: Back in the shop with the spices outside. This scent is so well blended that it is hard to pick up individual notes, but the shop is definitely sexier and sultrier than before. I am loving this scent - sexy and exotic. :)

I can't believe I have not tried this yet! I adore saffron and spice! Red musk is iffy, but I am very excited to try this! Hmm...in the imp this is mostly spices, a bit woody actually, with a bit of saffron. Not too much red musk on first sniff.

Hmm...this reminds me of something else on my skin...but I cannot for the life of me recall what...isn't there another saffron and spice GC? On my skin, the red musk comes out quite a bit more. The mix of saffron and spice is actually quite lovely, less 'woodsy' than it was in the imp, and more with the Middle Eastern spices. Sort of incensey actually, sweet incense with saffron and spices.

I don't really see myself RUNNING out to buy a bottle of this, but I enjoyed it very much, especially when I tested it a second time. A sexy incensey saffron blend, with spices and musk! If a bottle fell into my lap, I'd be sure to use it!

My very first BPAL scent ever. I don't really wear perfume, but I was buying Blood Kiss for my friend's birthday and thought I might as well give it a try. I'm a belly dancer (well, in training) and figured it would be a fun scent to help transform my attitude in class. I apologize for not really having the scent vocabulary.

In the bottle- Eek! Too much incense. Hippie perfume for sure (I like hippies, but I'm not one.) This is what I was afraid of. I'm suddenly reminded of why I don't wear perfume: too strong, interrupting the smells of my day. This will never suit me.

Wet- Now it's getting sweet almost, and heady. I'm a little nervous, and yet, I can't stop smelling my arm. There's something surprisingly sexy about this. It's still very much like hippie shop incense, but I think I like it.

Dry- This is spicy and lovely and soft. This is a scent for someone who simply radiates beauty--she's not trying to get your attention, but she does anyhow. I'm not her (yet,) but I'd like to be her.

It still smells slightly sweet to me, but I think that may be my body chemistry. I'll keep trying it. Maybe perfume will work on me after all.

I don't like or wear perfume so I thought BPAL would be good to try since it sounded like it didn't have the alcohol smell that I despise so much (not to mention dries out my skin). This was a part of my first order...and also the first thing I smelled. As soon as I opened the shipping box I could smell this (although I didn't know what it was at the time). It was like a terrible overpowering version of the health food store that I used to go to; just a jumble of whole sale spices, incense, and hippie soap.

Sniffing it straight out of the bottle was just more of the same. Definitely gave me a headache and I debated whether I would even bother to try this or not, but I paid for the imp so....

I put a very very small dab on my wrists. The smell was still overpowering even after it had dried a bit, and it had a decent amount of throw so I was reluctant to get too close to anyone.

After about half an hour the smell mellowed out a bit (I unfortunately can't pick out the individual notes so I'm not sure what changed). And continued to do so the longer I wore it. It actually became a rather nice spicy scent that stayed close to my skin, something of the "second skin smell" that I hear about. It's been a full day and I can still smell it faintly so at least it lasts awhile.

So despite my initial reaction I think I will wear this again, although I might put it on well before leaving the house so it gets to the mellow phase because I think that it's so strong at first to actually be offensive to other people.

I doubt I will buy a 5mL version though since it only takes a little bit and it lasts so long.

Sniffing this on my skin, i have to :lol: at myself. Prior to BPAL i would've sworn i'd never wear a blend that smelled like "hippy incense". But here i sit, wearing it and LOVING it. Because Beth does "hippy incense" in the absolute best possible way. It isn't an overpowering reek that makes you think someone is burning incense to cover up bad smells (or that they recently toked a doobie). Its this subtle, softly wafting, ever so slightly sweet and spicy scent that makes me feel.....warm, sensual, and relaxed. This is the super high quality expensive incense, not the cheapie stuff by the counter at the first head shop i ever visited.

Because Red Musk tends to be sweet (almost juicy?) on my skin, it almost makes me think of vanilla, not that it really smells like vanilla, it's more a feeling than the actual scent. I'm sure that makes no sense, but what can i say, lol. Red Musk is steadily becoming a big time favorite with me. I adore Mircalla, but where it is spicier and a bit more of a perfume scent (as opposed to incensey like Scherezade), this is more subtle and calming. Sexy, but not quite as sexy as Mircalla. This is more laid back and sensual, Mircalla is more va-vavoom.

Also, if Mme. Moriarty didn't work for you, this might be a nice one to try if you still like the idea of an incense-musk sort of scent. I think perhaps the plum and/or patchouli in Mme didn't work on me, but Shcerezade is fabulous :)

I love Scherezade! My imp has aged for many months, and I'm liking it even more than the first few times around (must remember to get a bottle to age). Warm red musk + warm glowing saffron + hints of warm spices = a cozy red incense scent, but not in an overwhelming way. It almost makes me think of red vanilla, if that makes sense?

I think Scherezade is perfect for cold fall and winter days. However, I do wish this was stronger -- it's very light to my nose, and I prefer my perfumes to be noticeable (at least to me!). That said, slathering and layering with a scent locket takes care of that.

In the vial: Red musk and a general perfumey undercurrent.

On me: Red musk remains the predominant note, but the spices give it a lot of depth and personality. Musk tends to be slightly sweet on my skin, so the effect here is a barely-sweet, rich, deep, sensual red warmth. I wish I could say more about it, but I find it hard to describe—it's almost as if the scent is missing a defining characteristic. It's still lovely, though—I catch whiffs of the warm sweetness in the throw and it pulls me in to the thicker, redder, spicier scent at skin level. Scent-color is a gentle golden red; throw and wearlength are both low.

Verdict: I like Sherezade, but I feel like it's missing something. It's a lovely scent rich with red musk and warm spices, but it's oddly indistinct, hard to pin down and difficult to describe. The red musk is so predominant that it's easy to loop in with other red musk blends—the spices, while enjoyable, aren't enough to make it distinctive. Similarly while I enjoy it, I'm not bowled head over heels. I think I'll keep my imp, and I imagine pulling it out for an hour or two of intimate, warm snuggling. But as pleasant as it is, this blend isn't in any way remarkable.

In the Vial: Rich, spices and red musk, pretty much just what I imagined from the description. Very warm and rich.

Wet on Skin: Red musk is strong, which I have noticed is the norm for me.

Drydown: The red musk is still the prominent note, but the spices have come out to really flesh out this scent. The notes seem to play well together on me.

Overall: Decadent, spicy red musk deliciousness that lasts. I love this and will be getting a bottle and wearing it frequently.

In the vial, the spices are a little weird. Colorwise, I'm getting a goldish tone. For some reason, there's a plasticky undertone to it, though. Weird.

Wet on my skin, ew. That plasticky note is taking over. Ecch. Might be my chemistry reacting with the saffron.

10-15 minute dry-down - Still with the plastic! This is sad, because it just smells like a plastic bottle with spices in it on me. I had such high hopes for this one.

1 hour dry-down - Plastic and musk. Pity. This is kinda giving me a headache, at that.

Ooh, I like this!

In the vial: reminds me of Calvin Klein's Obsession. (The sandalwood might have something to do with it. :))

Dry: the saffron is dominant. I can't identify the other spices, but they lend a lovely, delicate, graceful background. I also detect a slight soapy note, but my chemistry may well be off today. Warm and not too smoky! I also agree with the person who was reminded of amber but without the powder.

I am really enjoying this. I think I'm going to have to give red musk another chance. Scherezade is sexy, softly spicy, deeply mysterious and exotic. I've seen comparisons to Morocco, and I'd agree that there is a similar quality, but Scherezade is much muskier and mysterious and not at all floral. Morocco is softer, spicier, slightly floral with a lighter musk.

I've had this imp for a long time simply because I was unwilling to let it go. So it sat, gathering dust, in my bpal box. Around the time when I first got it, I had applied and rather liked the warm, spicy sweetness. My bf who is ironically from persia (scherezade's actual origin) sniffed and said "ugh, smells like indian spices". So I said, "well, you know this is based off of a persian historical figure- and...and it has saffron in it!". "Saffron?" and he sniffed again, "meh, its ok but it smells like incense." :huh?:

So now, a year later, I sit with my imp and bring it back out. I apply and man, I swear its gotten even nicer since then!

Wet: very strong, red musk

Drying: the red musk lessons a little and some of the saffron begins to emerge.

Dry: Mostly its still the red musk but I think the spices make it wearable for me since some other blends with red musk can be strangely sour. I can detect a slightly fruity floral below the dryness.

To me this smells like the natural skin scent of an exotic and rich queen on a warm desert night. It truly conjures paintings of the middle east. I agree that it stays close without much throw but I have it on my forearm and as I type it does waft up to my nose. Because red musk is such a powerful scent on me it would be overpowering otherwise. The only issue I have with the scent is that others might not be able to appreciate it because to them, it probably (as most bpal did to me when i first started) smells only of incense and hippies (not that there's anything wrong with hippies). Still, I may get a bottle just to wear when out with close friends and at home because I enjoy the feeling I get from this so much :D

Wet: Huh? Toilet cleaner? There's something strange and lemony about it.

Dry-down: Something spicy is starting to warm up the scent. Incense! I can smell that now. Cinnamon is coming out - not the scent, but it makes me think "spicy!" when I sniff it and my wrists feel sort of warm.

Dry: The scent now is like walking through an open air spice market on a warm, sunny day. I don't think it matches my personality, but it's beautiful and I can't stop sniffing. I feel like dressing up for it.

My brother's opinion: Indian incense shop. He likes it. He might try it sometime too.

In the Imp: incensey

Wet on Skin: incensey, with another lighter smell that I lack the experience to identify, but is certainly one of the spices - brightens it a bit

While Drying: this one has potential!

After a Little While: unfortunately, most of the complexity has disappeared, and I am left with a somewhat basic incensey smell

Later: have to get close to smell it at all; M thought it went a bit salty in the elbows, but that could have been the dancing. Much later: keep getting occasional enticing whiffs… this one is leading me along

Final Thoughts: definitely not bad, but not as exciting as it looked like it might be initially; good to know the musk works on me; worth trying again to see if I get the same experience; the first application must have been danced off, because I could smell this all night and strong in the morning - started making me cough - allergy?

Scherezade earns a 3.5/5 on my skin.