Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bat

A sparkly, batty little scent: green tea, melon, mint, lime rind, and champagne grape with lemon balm, mullein, and toadflax.

In the bottle, the scent is just pure guava and it's strong. It jumps out on you and punches you in the nose.

While wet on the skin, it is still strong and smells like soapy sugary guava + ... can't figure the plus out.

While dry, it is still way too strong and smells mostly like some sort of insane soap concentrate.

All in all, this is not my smell. It's not me. I could see this potentially giving me a headache in the long run. I'm a little disappointed as I had high hopes for it - many folks have recommended it to me.

This is a fizzy, fruity, magnificent melon. Somewhere between fizzy melon candies and fresh honeydew. There's something in here that adds depth without really tying it to the ground -- the tea and mint, I think, though I can't pick them out as individual notes. My colour impression is a pale, glittering green. Lasting power is only so-so, but I really do love it. Throw is relatively low, which is actually something I appreciate in a perfume. It's a definite bottle for me, and has found a place in my top ten.

Edited by cherryberryice

In the bottle - Sharp and fizzy lemonade over honeydew melon

Wet on me - Sugary limes

Dry on me - A soft soapy citrus scent

Overall - Pretty, but not really me

I got this as an imp purchase from the lab. This smells exactly like Sprite (the soda) to me. In the imp it's very lemon-lime and fizzy, like carbonation. It doesn't morph much on me. Dry the fizzy-ness dies down and I can smell a little bit of the melon but it mostly still smells like Sprite. Not much throw but I only put a little bit on for testing. I think this would be great to wear in the summer, it's very bright and fun. :)

I normally don't like the smell of melons, but this was a frimp and I love every Mad Tea Party scent I've tried, so...

This is the freshest scent I've worn in a long, long time. It doesn't smell exactly melon-y or necessarily fruit-y. It's like what you would imagine water smelled like if you had only seen pictures of it. It's clean and crisp and a perfect summer or spring scent!

In the imp: Bubbly and slightly dry - almost like Schweppes Ginger Ale, but with a citrus kick.

Wet on skin: Oh, this reminds me of Bon Vivant. I think these two blends share the same effervescent quality. I can really smell the lime and touch of lemon.

Drydown: Dry, and lightly sweet lemon-lime scent.

I really like this one, although it disappears quite fast - my skin just drinks it up. It's a really great scent for a hot summer day, as it's not too sweet - in fact it's more dry and slightly refreshing (a contradiction in and of itself - but there you go).
I didn't really get the melon and green tea, but the champagne grape and lemon rind really make this one a nice stand out scent.

So, I'm not a fan of melon, but my preferences for food and my preferences in perfume seem to differ, so let's see if this works on me.

In the imp: Melon, melon, melon.

Wet on skin: This isn't unpleasant, but..... I don't know. I don't really like it. It reminds me very much of watermelon, which I like, but there's an afternote to it that distinctly tells me "This is one of those melons that you can't stand, like cantaloupe or honeydew... or anything besides watermelon." It's like watermelon, but with a sheen of latex over it or something.

Dried down: Same as wet.

Throw: This has a little bit of throw on me.

Verdict: ** So this is apparently one where my foody tastes match my perfume tastes, and being sweet isn't enough to overcome that. If you like melons, this one would probably be a good one to try. For me, I think I'll pass.

Sugared honeydew melon with a drizzle of lime. It's bubbly and bright, but I wouldn't consider it fizzy like blends such as Geek Goth. For all the notes used it's not very complex on me, and I end up thinking of a little grade school kid chewing on melon bubblegum. If you love melons (hurhur, sorry my mind is in the gutter) and want something youthful, this would be a good pick.

In the imp: Midori & champagne, with some grape, mint & lime in the background.

Wet on skin: Exactly as described by BPAL! All the notes are swirling around & taking turns at being the dominant notes - strange, but nice! A very herby-fruity, "light green" type of scent.

Dry on skin: The lemon balm & green tea seem to be the main notes on me now, but everything else is still swirling around in the background. I was expecting the melon, lime & grape to amp more, so this is an entirely different scent to what I thought it would be. Weird, but still pretty!

After a few hours: It's all mixed together now & it's really hard to pick out any individual notes. The lemon balm is the only one I can make out now & even that's quite hard to pick, as it's sweetened. Very unusual, but I like it!

Verdict: A "sparkly, batty little scent" indeed! A bit of a weird one, but that's never stopped me from liking a scent before! Like with Delerium, I wouldn't wear it as a daily scent, or if I have something happening that requires me to be serious, but if I'm feeling silly, or need a pick me up, this would work wonderfully!

Melon, sprinkled with sugar! Not sickly or candy sweet, just sweet like a ripe, juicy melon. I'm getting something really off-putting underneath, but I'm thinking that my imp (which was bought off the forums and has changed hands a few times, I'm sure) may have gone off or maybe been contaminated. I don't think that it's the perfume itself causing this kind of musty, dirty socks smell. If it is, I'm not sure what the culprit could be other than the mullein or toadflax (I've never tried either of those notes before).

Regardless, I don't think this is a keeper. The melon smell is pretty but reminds me too much of cucumber-melon body spray that was everywhere when I was in high school.

Wet, this is straight ripe melon--lovely, but not something I want to sell like. After a few minutes, it's still primarily melon, but a sweet sugary note has come out as has the mint. Minty melon candy! It's more wearable now. Dry, the melon has faded and mingled with the fruit and champagne so it's just general fruity sweetness balanced against a clean, light floral background. I do like this--it reminds me of Kitsune-Tsuki but a generic fruit vs. the clear plum in Kitsune.

A light, clean citrus. At first it has hints of melon but those disappear quite soon in the dry down. Later on I detect musk.

I love this! Unfortunately it's completely gone in minutes.

This is melon candy on me, with a hint of champagne. I really do love it and am sad that there's no point in me wearing it.

This is really, really good, y'all!

In the imp: Citrus soda... 7UP or Sprite. Really.

Wet: Effervescent. It's actually effervescent! It's sparkling citrus. Like a citrus-y, sweet champagne or white moscato. I'm really shocked that the champagne smells so realistically like champagne. I almost expect to see the bubbles.

Dry: The same! This is a green tea that doesn't go all wonky on me! It's so light and happy! I think I'm going to have to sample ALL of the Mad Tea Party scents because they seem to be a hit with me (minus that unfortunate incident with How Doth the Little Crocodile)! Throw is low and it doesn't last. I like it enough to buy big bottles and slather throughout the day, though.

Edited by SunsetKay

I should have known. It has tea and citrus in it; why did I expect it to last? Juicy honeydew in the bottle and on application, and then 15 seconds later I get a tiny wee burst of lime as it vanishes completely. That might be a new record for disappearing time, though.

Top notes of champagne like woah.

In the midnotes, I'm getting lots of melon, still with the effervescent champagne. What do toadflax and mullein smell like? I'm guessing they'd be rather herby-fougere. I can't remember ever coming across them. Anyone know?

This is a green, flighty scent. I think I'm just not into champagne blends. I've felt unenthused about Hamptons, this one, Purple Snowballs, and Thalia. Horreur Sympathique came the closest to one I would feel right wearing. Now... make me a Manhattan blend and then we'll talk!

From the imp it's just delicious, sweetened tea. Very green but not too leaf-y if that makes any sense. A nice touch of citrus notes in there but nothing too strong. The mint and champagne in this are deliiicious!

However, on me as well, the sweet tea note dies down in an instant and the slightly herbal/medicinal notes take over (I'm guessing that's the mullein and toadflax)?
It's still sweet, still green but smells more like a garden now. I certainly don't hate it (more like reallyreally like it) but it was better at the start. Glad I got to give this a try!

In the imp: I'm getting fizziness of the Lab's champagne note backed by honeydew melon.

Wet: The fizziness of the champagne tickles my nose! It's the dominant note on me, followed by the melon and the lime rind. I'm not positive about the melon note being honeydew, because now it reminds me of cantaloupe. After a few minutes, the champagne note turns into champagne grape instead of pure champagne, but so it isn't nearly as effervescent as before, although that quality hasn't gone away.

Dry: I'm still getting lots of the champagne grape and melon, but now there's a somewhat soapy quality to the scent that I'm thinking is probably due to the florals interacting with the other notes.

Eventually, the scent veers out of soapy territory and is a light, fizzy champagne grape with a bit of citrus.

Verdict: I think this one really fits its name. I disliked the soapy phase that my skin chemistry produced, but it was pleasant aside from that. No bottle needed, but I'll hold onto my imp as always with the Mad Tea Party scents.

Melon champagne. I adore the champagne note, and it's lovely here. It's softly bubbly and a little sweet. The melon is like a honeydew and there is a bit of lime in it too which helps keep the melon from getting too sweet. I'm very happy to try this, because it's a great pick-me-up.

This starts out with an effervescent lemon-lime, like Sprite, but then I start amping super-sweet melon all over the place. Melon is just not my jam, and thus this isn't for me, but it's a fun sweet fruity scent that some folks will really love.

In the bottle: Lemon lime fizzy candies. Sweet, sparkling, carbonated, and thick yet light!

Wet: Same as in the bottle, but a touch warmer and sweeter – more like sweet limon drops and less like squirt. Still sparkling and carbonated.

Warm: The warmer it gets the sweeter it gets. Any touch of sour from the citrus is gone, and it’s lovely. So light, and fun. It makes me think of sparkling drinks, those fizzing soda candies, and spring sunlight, so sweet and welcome after the long, cold winter.

Drydown: The carbonation has gone, the sparkle has dulled. Still a little sweet, a little tart now. Smells the way lemon lime fizzy candies smell if you crush them.

Throw: This sits closer to the skin on me.

Last: By the end of the day I have to take a deep sniff of my wrist to get a hint of what was

I like this, it’s fun and light. It makes me think of that point right before spring becomes summer. I enjoy wearing this when I go day drinking somewhere with a nice patio, that sells sweet and deceptively smooth drinks.

Wet: Melon! Honeydew, to be precise.

Dry: Very, very light honeydew and some mint. Like... 95% honeydew. Throw is pretty weak now.

It's a great scent for summer, I just wish it had greater throw.

In the imp: this wobbles back and forth between lemon-lime soda and Purell. Yikes.

Wet: Thankfully it settles onto the former! The mint pops up first, trying to push the scent into mojito territory, but can't quite overcome the fruity sweetness as it starts to shift into melon soda territory. There's a soft herbal note in the background that's quite relaxing.

Dry: The soda's gone flat (that is to say, the champagne note has faded) and what remains is a sugary fruit cocktail that's quite nice, if light. The green tea note finally has a moment in the spotlight. Honestly though, at this point it's pretty much Embalming Fluid with a scoop of sugar in it.

This is perfect for a cool summer night, but the sweetness might be too cloying in the heat of day. But then, you don't see bats during the day all that much anyway...

Fizzy citrus that immediately made me smile.

Light and uplifting, this will be great on hot, sweaty days or on gray, dragging days. I’ve only had it on for 5 minutes but I think I might need a bottle.