Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

The Rose

The promise of a rose: red rose petals, fresh sap, and the sharp green scent of stem and leaf.

This is SO much like Rose Red, comparing the two, I'd say this is less rose and more greens. The rose is lighter, sweeter and slightly powdery. Love it ❤

This is now my GC rose! I adore Rose Red, and this is the GC catalogue, all year rose equivalent to it. Whereas Rose Red is a stem-y rose with the coolness of winter, this one is a fresh, green, almost single note red rose. Gorgeous!

A lovely, realistic rose indeed. It goes very sharp and green (stem?) on my skin, kinda saddens me cause I love this in the imp. :(

The Rose is everything as promised.

A very pure rose scent with stem and leaves included. Wet and on the dry down the greenness is very strong but doesn't overwhelm the rose - which smells very fresh and true to life.

Later, when dry, this settles into a soft true red rose scent - very light but still present.

Perfect for rose lovers. :wub2:

A full scent of a rose: as it says, flower and greenery. This is a red rose mingled with a sweet green-grassy note.

Unfortunately, it fades quickly from my skin. The roses in my yard bloom from May until they're snowed on, but The Rose is mostly gone in a half hour.

Imp: sharp bright rose.
Wet on Me: I get the green but it's putting up a losing battle against rose on my skin.

The green lost. I haz a sad.

It's a very plain and simple red rose. That's not to say that it's a bad thing. If you are looking for a straight rose, it's hard to go wrong with this one. It's blossom, stem, and leaves all together. It is very wearable and just stays beautiful and fresh. Absolutely lovely.

In the imp: This is a fresh red rose with lots of greenery.

Wet: Fresh, tart, dewy rose (reminiscent of Rose Red). The green stem and leaves are present, too.

Dry: Same, but more tart than before. This one does the same thing on me that I didn't like about Rose Red 2005.

Verdict: This isn't the kind of rose scent that I enjoy on my skin. It's similar to Rose Red, but I only wear that in hair gloss form because of the sour quality I seem to bring out in the scent. I'm glad I was able to try it, though!

Starts off as a dewy, chilly red rose with watery green sap almost identical to Rose Red. As this dries it gets much less chilly and green however, and is the summery fresh flower equivalent.

i am so excited to finally be trying this! i've been waiting for awhile. this starts as a beautiful true red rose-it smells just like the real petals. i also sense the stem and a tiny hint of sap. a few minutes later when the sap balances out the rose, the scent changes subtly. it's a little bit of a perfumey rose with a fruity sweetness in the background-a dewy, slightly fruity rose.

Initial snif (2017):

straight, simple, prudish + turns to soap after an hour or so.

After almost one year aging (2018):
The rose is wonderful!

It is indeed only "a promise" of a rose, not a real rose. This image is very congruent with this scent.

I can also smell the image of stem and leaf, but maybe thats a priming effect from reading the description.

Green, fresh, a bit fruity-sweet, smart, clear, determined, not-floral, a bit green apple-like (coming from the image of the "stem"), pure, straight, pale, delicate.

--> really, very lovely!

Absolutely not a jealous or mad rose. She remains sightly prudish but is a sweet girl.

Edited by zazkea

This is what is says it is, a fresh rose, from its fresh velvet petals to it's green leaves and stem. It's very light, and possibly ideal for someone that likes very simple floral perfumes.  Hard to see this going wrong on anybody, but always try a small vial first.

I posted this detail in the Lust thread, but when I apply Lust I cut through the heaviness of it with just a touch of The Rose, and it makes it a much lighter floral-laced scent!

This rose is, in my opinion, perfect. It's simple, not too sweet, and has just a touch of sappy greenness. It has a slight "coolness" to it as well that I'm having a hard time putting into words. It's like this rose has just been pulled from the florist's fridge, and there's a slight chilliness clinging to the petals. On me, The Rose didn't morph much if at all during the wear. 10/10 - any rose lover needs to try it.

In the bottle, this was definitely rosy, but sweeter and shallower than I had hoped. But when I put it on, I immediately got hit with this harsh, rancid chemical smell. It seriously smelled like a salon perm, if anyone knows what that smells like. It calmed down after about an hour or so, but even then I was just left with a breath of shallow rose. Not my favorite for sure. I didn't get a hint of that chemical smell in the bottle, so it may have just interacted poorly with my body chemistry, but fair warning. 

Side note, I posted a similar review to this on the main BPAL site, and it must not have been approved because I don't see it there. Has anyone else had negative reviews not get approved? 

Of the rose scents I've tried so far, this is my favorite, though it does not have the staying power of Maiden or Persephone. It's simple, crisp, lifelike, and almost apple-sweet.

Wet: very very green! It's more green than it is rose at this point. Like bright fresh grass, bitter sap, cold dew. It's bracing -- like the smell and sound of biting into a cold, unripe granny smith apple. Rose is right behind it, but it's a rosebud and not quite the full bloom.

Dry: Fresh, dewy rose, but the scent of a rosebud that is still mostly closed. There's no hint of powder in this rose at all. As new a rose as you can find. Lifelike and vibrant, verdant.

Fully dry: The sweetness really comes out now. It's like a dream of sour candy; a bit of sour apple, a bit of strawberry, a kiss of rose.

This is so innocent and sweet and cheerful. It skews a bit young, but for a spring rose you can't beat it. I think this and Lucy's Kiss are my favorites of the lab's rose notes. 🌹

In the imp: A fresh rose scent, with some faint green notes. It settles and the green notes get more subtle on drydown, but this rose avoids going powdery. Pretty subtle and low-throw. If you like rose but have issues with rose notes going to baby powder, this might be one to try.

Got this as a frimp in my last order so thank you BPAL. I would have never ordered this myself as I typically despise anything rose scented! 

In the imp: smells like putting your nose into the middle of a young rose just after a good old April Shower. I can picture the rain drops that have made a little pool in the center of the petals. 

Wet on the skin: feels like I’m back in primary school sitting on the field on Sports Day after it just been cut. In our boredom we’d rake up the cut grass with our hands and chuck at it each other (not the best when you had allergies but who cares)! The rained on rose smell did initially disappear on application but she’s now peeking through.

Dry: there’s no longer that rained on rose smell. The pool in the petals has dried up and now it smells more  like a rose on a hot and humid day but there’s still a lovely freshness that rounds out the scent. Its so strange but the smell reminds me when my mum would take me to witchy shops. It reminds me of crystals and fairy statues. The Rose, to me, smells like a curious child exploring down the bottom of a rose garden stepping gleefully into fairy circles.

This is a scent I would never go for due my aversion for rose everything but I’m so glad this was included as a freebie in my order as is brought back a lot of lovely memories for me. 

Like it says on the bottle, this is what roses smell like! A bit green, very fresh, and not at all old ladyish like rose can sometimes be. It smells like a "cool" rose as opposed to a "warm" rose, if that makes any sense whatsoever. A must for anyone wanting a pure, simple rose scent. It doesn't last very long on my skin, but it's lovely while it does.

In the vial: the sap of the broken green stem and the reddest of luscious roses are one heady entity that makes the head spin with what you’ve done, (stolen roses are sweetest)- but how can you regret anything so beautiful?

On me, wet: Running away from the forbidden rose bush, the greensap fades more to the flower nw: if this is the stolen rose from the Beast’s garden, the scent on my wrist is proof of my guilt, even if it was an act of love for another- there is no disguising it, it will give me away. The Beast caught up with me purely by following its trail, so strong is the throw.

On me, just dried: So Red the Rose – pure, pure absolute of Rose abducted from an enchanted garden where I had no right to go; to be, to pluck

After 15 minutes: the rose -still absolute- has softened somewhat, not so sharp, the stemsap is still there as a highlighting contrast as green does to red

After 30 minutes: the rose is still calming down, and calming me down too – the green stemsap has largely faded, the rose having been stolen half an hour back

After 1 hour: the rose too has fled, escaped, a ghost rose left on my wrist, haunting me

After 3 hours: not even a phantom rose anymore

Verdict – Even though this is not a long lived scent (on me) it is so luscious that I buy it in a full bottle again and again, and just reapply. It really is an extraordinary creation with the sharp green against the velvety full bodied rose.

I don't really have much to add, other than this blend I think deserves more accolades. Just fresh, simple rose. Not aquatic, not powdery weird, just red rose. The imp is a bit older, so on first sniff it doesn't really wow, but really blossoms on the skin. So if you have old imps that smell a bit old, flat, cardboardy or whatever do a skin test. I almost passed this one up! 

Definitely going in my next order. :wub2:

Looking for a replacement to my Peacock Queen, but while this is indeed a lovely, true rose scent, it's not the furiously in-bloom deep red of Peacock Queen. This is a much lighter rose--like a pink or yellow rose. It's in bloom, but not quite at the height of it yet, covered with dew. On the other hand, this is a great rose perfume for people who want rose, but not ROSE. It also smells goddamn fantastic on my daughter.