Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VelvetSky

Deep in Earth

Rose geranium, Spanish moss, Irish yew, and graveyard dirt.

I love, love this scent in the imp. Smells just like earth with dried flowers sprinkled over the top. Reminds me a bit of old soapy roses. I smell the moss and darker notes more in the vial. On my skin, however, it starts smelling a little more like the perfumes my grandmothers used to wear.

Bottled: Soil and dried flowers. Soapy and a little bit like soil drying in the sun.

On *my* skin: Becomes much more floral on my skin. Less dark and more rosy. Old-fashioned and brittle.

One of the first surprises I learned when I joined BPAL was I like dirt smells. Ever since, I have been trying to get my hand on any of them.

Deep in Earth is an unkempt cemetery, overgrown with wild rose and mosses, swirling in mist, damp, with cracked and tumbling tombstones.

When I wear it, I want to write a gothic novel, or I want to run outside when it is overcast, and a bit dreary. This doesn't really morph on me, I have been wearing it for over two hours now, and it is still swirling around me like fresh, upturned earth, ready for a burial. Closer to the skin, I can tell it is has softened ever so slightly, the rose geranium having become more prominent, but this is a perfect scent for dirt lovers. While this is definitely a moist soil scent, it is not aquatic on me like it is for some other reviewers.

Edited by freyasfae

This smells fizzy and sweet and almost fruity on me. I can smell a little bit of grass, but not any dirt. I don't really know how to describe it except that it's sort of like ginger ale mixed with lemons and some sort of berry, but way better. Anyways, I really love this scent and I'll probably buy a big bottle when the imp runs out.

EDIT: Five months later, the scent smells mostly the same. But it's a little less sweet and a little more... deep? Mature? I don't know what it is, I just know it's aged well. I like it even more than I did when I first reviewed it.

Edited by ShunnerOfHugs

This is what I was hoping to find in burial! I'm not sure what the geranium is supposed to smell like but I'm guessing it's providing this blend with a thick sweet undertone. Not sure either with Irish yew. However the spanish moss is quite easy to pick apart from this and it's really heavy and cream-y. Not too much dirt, but it's there.
It's almost like a rainy day in a greenhouse type thing. :P
This layers really well with London. Awesome!

Gack! There's that note of graveyard rot, sweetened with red geranium. This is like a zombie trying to offer you a flower, but the arm holding the flower falls off. Sickening, poignant, and ridiculous, all at once. The geranium is pretty, though, and pairs well with the Spanish moss.

The geranium-Spanish moss combo strengthens on my skin as this dries. The geranium is turning very sweet. Enough of the rot has burned off now for this to be acceptable, if not alluring. The dirt smell is dirt -- not decay and not bothersome, though not exciting. But I get a faint wood note that reminds me of countryside. Maybe that's Irish yew. I like it.

Overall, though, this isn't for me.

You know how some people hate the taste of mint? Well, that's not me-I love it. But the smell I absolutely hate, particularly on my person--it turns my stomach and burns my nose. And that's what this smells like to me, both in the imp and on me--MINT. It's that intense, it absolutely needs to be in all caps. In the imp and wet, the minty smell is overpowering; dry, I can pick up the moss and dirt, but the mint is still the main scent. It's not a sweet mint either, more an astringent mint. When I attempted to wash it off, the mint smell disappeared and all I get is moss and dirt, which is very pleasant, but it hardly seems worth it to go to the trouble of applying and then washing it back off again to enjoy this scent. I love earthy, dirt smells and I really wanted to love this but this is definitely going in the 'Nope' pile.

Strangely, my boyfriend doesn't smell the mint at all, in the imp or dry on my skin and I don't see people reporting it here either, so maybe it's just me or maybe I got a weird imp? I even double-checked that I had the right imp since mint isn't even listed as a note.

Edited by BearyStrange

Imp: air freshener rose and dirt
Wet on Me: dirt on air freshener rose.
Drying Down: the dirty air freshener rose JUST hates ME!!!
Dry: man what did I ever do to piss off Rose and Dirt. they just loathe my skin!

It's kind of antiseptic when it first goes on. It's nice and green-smelling, but it's also like I could clean the floor with it and have an amazing smelling floor. It's worth riding out, though. About 10 minutes in, that mostly goes away and what's left is geranium planted in rich soil. It reminds me of preparing the flower boxes for the cemetery before we switched to using sedum. It's nice and earthy, but not my favorite of the genre.

In the imp: Something softly, roundly sweet, in a way that reminds me of -- but isn't -- a patch of clover. It's not quite grassy -- and it definitely doesn't have the sharpness of cut greens -- but it's also not quite floral, either. Sniffing more, I get something slightly soapy, and I can just pick out the dirt note in the background.

On my skin:

As it's drying, the sweet floral continues. However, once it is fully dry, the soapiness increases until it is by far the dominant note. Which isn't terribly, exactly, but if I wanted to smell like a bar of Irish Spring, I'd just go buy a bar of Irish Spring.

This stayed in full-on soap mode (complete with strong throw) for 30+ minutes, at which point I had to go wash it off. It's possible that this blend would have morphed into something my skin likes better, but it stays unlikable enough for long enough that I'm not really willing to try.

Roses blooming through freshly upturned soil! While I don't enjoy smelling like dirt, I cant deny that this is the essence of Spring.

If you at all enjoy soil notes, this one needs to be on your list.

I received this imp in a swap recently, and am excited to try it out.

In bottle: Oh, I love this!  Plants, plants, plants.  A hint of flowers.  

On skin: Still very green and watery.  I'm loving this, and hoping it doesn't turn on me!  

After a few hours: The florals became stronger on me after some time.

I do like this scent quite a lot.  I will keep the imp for sure, and might consider a full bottle.  

Loam, moss, and a bouquet of dried flowers. Despite being cloying and sneeze-inducing, I really like this. Kind of like the intersection between Penny Dreadful, Ouija, and Burial.

Surprise win. Almost melon-smelling...? Cool, stony, almost aquatic, definitely not coniferous, rose geranium-dominated.

Greenery and Dove soap? The furthest thing from dirt on me, this is fresh and clean. Gender-neutral and refreshing. I'm not in passionate love, but I think I'll keep the imp around for hot days.

From the name I was expecting straight dirt but when I opened the imp I got a sweet floral with a bit of earthiness. On my skin I get more mossiness and the geranium I now identify has started to get a bit sharp as it tends to do on me. Luckily it stops there, and becomes more of a soapy rose. The dirt never really shows up on me. 

This smells like I spilled some high end rose perfume on a moss covered freshly dug grave. This is slightly similar to Zombi, but the rose is not as strong and stays closer to the background. Definitely has a slight soapy vibe from the roses. With time, the dirt fades and I'm left with the mossy roses. About three hours later, it's almost completely gone. 

I do like Zombi more than this, not just for the name but because the rose is more prominent. But it is still a beautiful earthy scent, and would recommend this if you thought Zombi was too floral for you.

Deep in the Earth is a twin to Zombi, only Zombi is the twin weeping over a bouquet of funeral roses at the freshly dug grave, and Deep is too busy trying to dig themselves OUT of that same grave. The rose is so quiet here, and with the spanish moss gives this a sweet almost rose cold cream and mosses vibe. Much more "soapy" than zombi, and with much less "salty tears of grief" vibe hanging around the whole scent.

Deep is a straightforward graveyard dirt scent, with a touch of creamy but wavering into old lady perfume type rose, backed by inoffensive dirt and moss. I do genuinely prefer zombi despite zombi and I not getting along at first. If zombi was too much rose for you, or too heavy on the "grief and tears" vibe, give Deep a whirl.

Received as an imp. Earthy, smells of strong geraniums, & light Spanish moss. I get the yew too, but first note I experience is the graveyard dirt, which flies away fast. It replaced with the geranium. It's so strong, reminds me of when I bought my first bottle of it as an essential oil when I was a teen. I would probably buy this. Falls into the Zombi impression for me.

Edited by Rane.

The whole thing definitely smells like digging a deep hole in a sopping wet yard. Very, very astringent and honestly smells truly like actual freshly turned soil. That's about the very first thing that blasted my nose until I coughed. This must be the scent of druids, fantasy or otherwise, or maybe necromancers. The scent of an old school vampire rising from the fresh grave? Or maybe just innocent gardeners who have been toiling, creating new soil beds with their bare hands for eight hours. As for the rose geranium, yes, it is there and smelling exactly like a holistic anti-mosquito candle... along with maybe mulched lawn grass somewhere in there with the dirt. Actually it becomes a little bit woody and spicy on the drydown. The acrid quality of dirt does definitely die down, revealing more of the geranium (which always reminds me some of citronella).  Night digging in summertime, what can I say, I think the bugs might actually be repelled if I wore this outside. 

Edited by Shadowdawn

They hit the nail with this one. It's wet, mossy, rich soil, rotting wood, after a rain. As it dries it gets a little more floral. I would love to have soap that smells like this honestly. But as a perfume? I'm just not sure. I can see the resemblance to Zombi. It's quite sharp to the nose, and that aspect seems to only increase as time goes on. I wish it weren't so, and the dark mystery of the forest would shine. (fresh~ LAP FRIMP)

Edited by skyturtles
typo

This is the first lab frimp that I have opened and immediately went, "Oh wow! That is good!" It is wet and dark and fresh soil with dewy moss on top and just absolutely delicious. Brings to mind exactly a quiet, overgrown cemetery with a big weeping willow tree in one corner. I am certainly going to get a big bottle of this!

This is a very cool, damp scent. It's gentle. It reminds me of a spot under my grandma's yew hedge that was always a little sheltered from the weather, so I could sit there and stay dry while it rained. It doesn't exactly smell of yew, but it does smell of fresh wet soil and damp (but not mouldy) leaves and rose geranium. It really does smell like I'm outside gardening on a rainy spring day. It was in my first order, and it's still one of my favourites. I like to wear it on hot, dry summer days as a reminder that the rain will come eventually.