Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Beaver Moon 2007

Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. However, we at BPAL rarely let an opportunity for sleazy campiness pass us by! For your pleasure and amusement, we present this year's incarnation of Beaver Moon: wild cherry with vanilla cream accord, and a hint of strawberry.

It's super cherry wet - dark cherry, not tart - with a whole lot of buttery cream. Wet, this is not my style. As it dries, though, the butter goes away, leaving a creamy backdrop to the dark, sweet cherry. It tarts up over time, too, on my skin. Now that it's dry, it's settled down to a tart strawberry-cherry scent that wears a little bit funny on me. Strawberry notes always smell a little off on my skin, sort of vaguely plasticky, and this one is suffering that particular fate. I didn't really expect this one to rock my world, and it doesn't really work with my chemistry - but if you like cream or cherry in your scents, and strawberry doesn't hate you - go for it!

Beaver Moon is really delicious! I can't differentiate between the cherry and the strawberry, it's just all sweet and juicy to me (but then I have been fighting a cold all week). The vanilla cream puts this at a close relative to Monster Bait: Closet, at least to my nose. It does stay close to the body, but when freshly applied, my neighbors were guessing cinnamon and apple cider, so I do think there is a fruity cake component to this.

Edited by pkthunder

I wore this yesterday morning and really enjoyed it. It's light, sweet, and slightly 'pink' from the cherry/strawberry, although I really can't tell those apart here. I don't like it as much when I sniff close to my skin where I applied it. Don't try to go huffing after this one, let it come to you on its own. It seemed to envelope me in a sweet pink and white cloud. Kind of reminded me of pink and white Cream Saver candies, with a slight hint of powder. It is similar to Bloody Mary, but does not have the deep, juicy red fruits of that scent. This is more of a creamy, cakey scent touched with a light berry sweetness.

I think Moonarcana got it right....it's really similar to Perilous Parlour, except instead of pear it has cherry and strawberry. I did get the same sort of feel from both scents.

This could not be more delicious if it tried. Cherry/Strawberry and vanilla whipped cream when wet. Dries down to a lovely vanilla/berry scent.

It isn't the longest wearing BPAL blend I've tried, but it is so delightful, I am more than willing to slather repeatedly!

ETA: I have finally found the food equivalent of Beaver Moon 07: a white cake cupcake topped with raspberry whipped cream frosting. They sell these in the deli in my office building. I exclaimed at the first bite "This tastes like Beaver Moon smells!" :D :D :P

Beaver Moon is in my top 10.

Edited by girlygirl

straight sniff from bottle is sweet and creamy vanilla cherry :D

once applied this is so delectable i could gnaw my wrist off...the creaminess is

what is so mouth-watering for me :P

for me, the comparison of this version vs. the previous....

previous had no where near the sillage or depth of this beauty...

deliciousness in a bottle

I cannot compare to previous Beaver Moon, as I've not had a whiff of it.

In the bottle I smell... Cherry Jam Thumbrpint Cookies. How's THAT for specific?

On my skin, Cherry Jam Thumbprint Cookies & a slight sexy musk? The next morning the lingering scent was strawberry single note.

This bottle will be known around here as John-Bait. My husband smelled my neck, declared it to be "strawberry shortcake" and proceeded to ravage me :P

beaver moon started out smelling very vanilla, like a freshly baked yellow cake. it reminds me a lot of eat me. the drydown is quite different, more like strawberry ice cream- mmm! for a fleeting minute it's sweet and creamy and almost effervescent. unfortunately after that it turns into this barely there, fake plasticy berry scent. when i was a little kid i had these stuffed animals called yum yums. they each had a different scent. eventually my mom packed them away and all the scents intermingled... this smells exactly like that box. to the swaps!

In the bottle: rather odd, plastic-y scent.

Wet: OMG Cherry!Vanilla!Cream! goodness. This is yummy.

Drydown: cherry/strawberry/vanilla. The smell reminds me a little bit of the taste of Pepsi Jazz.

Not very long-lasting, but who cares?

Beaver Moon 2007-

In Bottle: Creamy, sweet, a little cherry-strawberry alcoholic. It smells VERY much like Monster Bait: Closet (which I love).

Wet: Strawberries and cream! Quite different from Monster Bait: Closet. And a tiny nutty hint? Like hazelnut?

Dry: Musty in the dry-down. Still fruity and foody but I'll have to try it again and see if the mustiness is consistently bothersome.

Overall: Yummy to sniff, but conditional.

This is the candied sweet scent I was hoping for.

I smell sweet strawberries, almost a strawberry jam, topped with a hint of vanilla.

After about 5 minutes, it's a creamy strawberry/cherry vanilla.

At first I thought this was going to be Bloody Mary's twin, but I was wrong, thankfully.

I love Bloody Mary, but love Beaver Moon even more!

:P

Huh, this one isn't anything like I thought it would be. On me it's not even a little bit foody. It's almost like it's trying to smell like cherry, but it just can't seem to do it. I'm not really sure what it does smell like on me, but it's certainly not either cherry or strawberry. :P

In bottle: Cherry graham crackers.

On skin: Cheesecake, cherry, graham cracker crust, strawberry that smells a little plasticky.

1st drydown: the cherry recedes and it's cheesecake and plasticky strawberry.

after 10 minutes: where's the cheesecake? I've just got strawberry--still plasticky.

It just doesn't work for me. The plasticky smell reminds me of the vanilla plastic I get from Snow White, which I adore. But in strawberry my nose just rebels against the plastic.

I wanted this to work on me SO BADLY. The 05 version didn't work for me either, my skin just destroys foody scents.

I'm almost afraid to try my Inquisition oils...

I was excited about this because it's one of those "cult" scents that go for a gazillion dollars on ebay and I could never afford.

Smells exactly like Bloody Mary to me. There are very subtle differences but not anything that stands out as remarkable. A "normal" nose (a la our audience) could never tell the difference between the two on me.

Ah well!

BEAVER MOON 07

In Bottle: Cheesecake with cherry sauce

On Skin: This is like the original Beaver Moon only amped 1000 fold. I smell sweet yummy cake, could be cheesecake, with a massive amount of warm cherry sauce poured on top. I mean huge cherries and lots of gooey sauce. This is quite possibly the sweetest BPAL scent I have ever smelled. People with sensitive noses may be overwhelmed here. One tiny tab will do you as this is crazy STRONG! As the scent develops, the strawberry comes out too, emphasizing the berry sauce. I have seen the comparisons to cough syrup and I have to disagree completely. There is nothing icky or medicinal about this scent at all on me. It is pure sweet love. The berries are the strongest note, but the vanilla cake/cookie note is quite delicious, just more in the background. A hit for sure! Strong throw and long wearlength.

while the '05 version was pure love on me, this one turns to burned sugar w/ plastic overtones with hits of cherry. Beautiful in the bottle and in a scent locket, but bad like Marshmallow poof w/ my body chemistry :P

i'm sad :D

This is TOTALLY like Bloody Mary and Strawberry Moon mixed together. I get berry CremeSavers too, which isn't really a good thing. It has a lot of promise but has a strong, almost floral aspect to it that makes my brain and tummy flip. That goes away after a while, so I might keep this. After it goes away, this is a lovely scent, if not a bit non-descript. Maybe I shouldn't write reviews when I'm under the weather?

This is... just wonderful! I was really hesitant to get this one because I thought it would be similar to MB Bloody Mary... but it stands on its own just beautifully. At first sniff, I get a buttery (like the pumpkins??) + cherry whiff but on my skin it is strawberry cheesecake! y'know those strawberry cheesecake ice cream bars? it smells like the taste of it!

i'm really loving this one. :P

Was there ever any doubt that this would be divine?? NO!!

Fabulous and glorious, just what I was searching for! This is best described as an innocent, sweet pink sugar scent. Sort of like fresh strawberries atop a mountain of fluffy white cake. Ahhh, just glorious! This is sweet, but not overly sweet like the original Beaver Moon. I think people that were put off but the cavity inducing level of the original will be pleasantly surprised by this one. It's such an addictive scent; I cannot stop sniffing my wrist!! It's actually making me crave white cake with pink strawberry frosting!! Yum!!

This will probably be one of my all time favorites, just like the original Beaver Moon. Absolutely fabulous, you can try to pry this from my cold dead hands!! :P

Bottle: Vanilla and Strawberry

Wet: Strawberry and Cherry on top of a vanilla cupcake.

Drydown: The vanilla becomes more prominent. This is a great scent and I dearly regret not buying a bottle!

4.0 outta 5

This does indeed smell a lot like Bloody Mary, only less cough medicine and more sugar.

First on, I don't like this at all. It smells like the cherry scented plastic Cabbage Patch Kid (or whatever they were called) doll.

Thankfully, after 10 minutes or so it mellows out into a creamy fruit. Smelling it makes me feel all young and innocent again! However there is a hint of something sharp and burnt in the background.

After an hour or so, it hasn't changed much. It's fairly pleasant, but it's still quite plasticky and there's still that burnt note in the background.

I'll hang on to the Imp for fancy dress, but this isn't big bottle material.

Edited by Jenesis

Hm...on me this one is not very similar to Bloody Mary. I get a lot less cherry and red fruit, and much much more of the strawberry end of things. The best way for me to sum up Beaver Moon on me is - strawberry ice cream. Seriously, for a long time, it smells exactly like I rubbed ice cream on my wrists (it totally makes me hungry, too!). There is a little bit of time when I first apply it that it goes plastic-y on me, but that seems to mellow out rather quickly (phew! I have never had anything go 'plastic' on me before- it was not a pleasant experience for my nose). All in all I would say that I enjoy this blend very much, except for the odd phase in the beginning. I will definitely wear this when I am in need of a comfort scent.

Beaver Moon 07 smells most similar to Hollywood Babylon & Monster Bait Bloody Mary for me, only not as complex as Hollywood Babylon or as oddly perfumey as Bloody Mary.

This blend reminds me of strawberry scented dolls and strawberry hard candies, sort of plasticy and artificial. I was hopeful for the vanilla cream, but all I seem to get out of this is that 'hint of strawberry.' The older version of Beaver Moon went off on my skin and this new version, while smelling nothing like the old, goes off and plasticy as well. I like strawberry when it smells like true strawberries, but this is too much candied strawberry for my tastes.

In the bottle - I get that sour note I associate with the first Beaver Moon. It's not really a note I'm fond of.

Wet: Wow - this smells like crunchberries! (For those outside the US, there's a children's cereal called Captain Crunch that has berry-ish little balls in it. This smells just like the cereal.) No noticible sour note. It's sort of a strawberry smell, but not just strawberry. Others have said they smell the cherry, but the secondary smell is just not that distinct for me. What others smell as "cake" seems to be the "cereal" scent for me.

Oh--you nailed this one right on the head! This one smells cherry candy sweet in the bottle and goes through a vanilla cupcake with cheesy icing stage that I love, but then it becomes--crunchberries! Which I kinda like but I was hoping the cheesy cupcake stage would last longer and with slightly less strawberry syrupy stuff. It does morph much! I think I will try again with a scent locket to try and stretch out that ephemeral cupcake with strawberry cream and cream cheese icing stage...

Beaver Moon 07 isn't quiiiiiiite doing it for me. MB: Closet and Pumpkin Cheesecake are great on me, but Beaver Moon looses the creaminess and turns to all strawberry on me. That's a pity cause I really like cheesecake blends.

That's okay though. I still like it and will probably keep it around for a while.