Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Beaver Moon 2007

Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. However, we at BPAL rarely let an opportunity for sleazy campiness pass us by! For your pleasure and amusement, we present this year's incarnation of Beaver Moon: wild cherry with vanilla cream accord, and a hint of strawberry.

I'm rarely fond of strawberry scents, but I wanted to try this for the cherry and vanilla cream notes. When I smelled the vial, I figured this might be a loss as it smelled of strawberry pop-tarts.

But oh, was it delicious when I put it on! Angel food cake, topped with cherries and whipped cream. Nom nom.

There is one odd thing about it - as it dries, there's a hint of that old books/burnt paper smell that Miskatonic University has.

I find it only lasts an hour or so, but it's quite strong for the first 30 minutes. It garnered a 'something smells good in here!' comment from a guest on the other side of the kitchen. :P (Her opinion: Raspberry hot chocolate or Fruity Pebbles.) Edited by suileach

This is very reminiscent of MB Closet on me, which is gratifying as anything. A bit less 'elegant-berry' and more 'chipper-berry' perhaps.... creamy and nice, gets a bit 'shrill' on prolonged drydown.

In the bottle:

Baked goods, heavy on the butter or cream.

Wet:

I didn't smell the strawberry or cherry at all in the bottle, but when I put it on I do. It smells delicious! I can see what people mean about the fruit being almost floral.

Dry:

I can see why people are finding this cakey. It's definitely got a sweet, cakelike aspect to it. I think I really like this one.

In the bottle: Oh yum-my! This is very sweet, it makes me want to eat it all up. Which, of course, I don't.

Wet: Still completely lovely, I can smell cake and strawberry and it's making me quite hungry. There's also a creamy background to it.

Dry: I know what it reminds me of! Victoria Sponge Cake! No wonder it made me hungry when I first put it on. This smells like the absolute, most perfect Victoria Sponge ever- perfect cake, perfect cream, perfect strawberry filling! I love it!

Esmeria's hit it on the head - Victoria sponge! With tiny wild strawberries, and a bit of vanilla syrup drizzled over it... Thankfully, I don't get heavy butter out of this, just a whiff of lovely sponge cake. As a rule, I don't hold with very foody or fruit scents, but this is a fun departure for me! The drydown is lovely - wafts of tart berries & cream, but there's a faint air of something deeper, like cherry incense or tobacco... it's barely there, and if I go looking for it, it's gone. But I keep getting whiffs of it throughout the day... nyomnyomnyom!

My nose has been stuffy as of late so my note sniffing may be off somewhat.

In the imp/decant/whatever, it's berries and cream (the good cream - ie that one that's bad for you), and very different than the original, at least to me.

Wet, it's cherry cough syrup. :P

As it dries, its gone from cough syrup to Strawberry Shortcake Doll and now it's almost Strawberry scented Play-Do. At least it's a faint Play-Do, unlike O, which was Play-Do with POWER.

Vanilla doesn't always play well on my skin.. this must be one of the vanilla's that doesn't work well for me.

I don't smell this at all. I wish I did! I get spicey, chai scents with no strawberry or cherry. Why is it, to me at least (and I'm sure not to everyone), that many autumn scents smell quite similar? All the pumpkins smell very, very like each other to me, as well as Beaver Moon. I have to say, I didn't even try it on. I don't like that scent very much. Sad.

i seem to have gotten a different scent than everyone else--while it smells okay in the bottle this is pure plastic on the skin. terrible, and nothing like the original.

Beaver Moon 07

In the imp: yes, this is strawberry cheesecake! Mmm, creamy sweet strawberries.

Wet on skin: now I smell a more sour cherry base, cutting through the creamy strawberries.

Dry on skin: cherries topped with strawberry cream. The cherry note isn't as super sweet as Bloody Mary, not that sweet cherry pie scent, this is a little bit more like a sour cherry sauce. It's very nice though, but I fear it will go medicinal like the cherry in Jailbait did. The strawberry note isn't as cloying or sour as it can be, probably softened nicely by that vanilla cream which reminds me of the base of the original Beaver Moon, a cheesecake base with just a hint of spice, but not as spicy as the original. It also reminds me of Tokyo Stomp.

After a while: mmm, the sour cherry has sweetened completely and is definitely not like cherry throat drops. Now it smells like a sweeter Bloody Mary, but with a delicious creaminess. And yes, I do agree with the comparisons to strawberry ice cream and cheesecake. It smells like strawberry ice cream with cherries and little bits of meringue and white chocolate, actually! YUM! Like the sort of delicious ice creams I've eaten in Italy. Oh yeah, that's the stuff. This is way better than Bloody Mary actually, and it's the kind of scent I was hoping to get from old Pink Moon and Pink Phoenix.

Eventually this smells like the same delicious vanilla from Underpants, but with added strawberry. Oh yeah, this is good. And the strawberry isn't turning to that sharp-sweet scent that I am not crazy about-the vanilla softens it up. There's also a sprinkling of sugar over it all, just like in Bloody Mary, but not as super-sweet and lollipop-like.

The sugar note gets stronger, sweeter and pinker with time. I still have that ice cream scent and it also smells strongly of white chocolate, which I love, and it's so hard to find a white choc scent that actually smells genuinely like it! But this one nails it, and I want to lick my wrist. The drydown is a sweet white chocolate flavoured ice cream with strawberries and liberally sprinkled with spun sugar.

Verdict: when I went on holiday this year, I had the most delicious ice cream…a scoop of white chocolate ice cream with whole white chocolate Easter eggs in it, with a scoop of strawberry ice cream made with fresh berries. This-or at least the drydown-smells just like that fantastic gelato. This has the same fun, gourmand feel as the Monster Baits with a cheeky hint of the old creamy vanilla cake scent of the old Beaver Moon. It starts off smelling very cherry, and I fear it will go down the Jailbait route (that smelt medicinal on me) but luckily it doesn't, and turns to creamy strawberry and white chocolate. Some strawberry BPALs have an odd scent to them which is sweetly cloying and very sharp at once when they hit my skin-not this one, thanks to the vanilla cream. This also has, on me, the most genuine white chocolate scent, and as a lover of that stuff, this makes me very happy. This scent is definitely worthy of being described as scrumptious. This is truly scrumptious stuff-just as wonderful as the original Beaver and my favourite strawberry BPAL scent.

Emoticon rating: :P :D :D

Is it a keeper? yes! I think I need more.

If you like this, try: Bloody Mary, Pink Phoenix, Marshmallow Poof, Bon Vivant, Mania, Eat Me

hologhost was spot on saying that Beaver Moon '07 smells like Crunchberries. In the bottle and wet on my skin, it's cherries and strawberries-'n-cream. Absolutely yummy. Dry, it's the aforementioned cereal. I'll pass this on but I'm glad I got a chance to try it first.

In the decant: Cherry pie filling -- cherry, but sweet.

Wet: I've reviewed something like 200 BPALs, but this is the first that's actually made me want to weep with nostalgia. Y'see, when LadyCrow was just a fuzzy little hatchling, her mother used to bake vanilla angel food cake with strawberry frosting for her birthdays. This is like that in a liquid.

Drydown: The strawberry note -- which gets the Kaylee Frye Seal of Approval but isn't quite perfect; I can see where others get the Crunchberries/Strawberry Shortcake thing -- keeps fighting the vanilla accord for dominance. This is one of those oils that sinks right into my fair, and frankly rather dry, skin; I didn't notice an immense wearlength the first time I tested it. Throw is average for me, but that's almost academic, because I can't seem to get my nose off my wrist for very long!

Verdict: I know what I'm wearing on my next birthday. (And, presuming supplies last, subsequent ones.)

OK, so I held off reviewing this for a while because I had so many mixed emotions at first-

In the bottle this is super sugary, sweet pink berry juice with a glimmer of cherries... mmmm

Gak. Wet, immediately on it has a very odd, off plasticky strawberry smell. Not quite right... but then...

As this dries down, it is the loveliest, most yummy, sweet berry tart that manages to balance the sweetness and tartness perfectly.

This one will be very loved and appreciated. :P

In the bottle, this is all sweet, cheesecakey, creamy goodness with a hint of strawberry. Almost like strawberry-cheesecake flavoured ice cream, actually! Yummy.

Wet, this continues to be gorgeous, cheesecakey goodness. Oh lord this is yummy. I can smell the graham cracker crust, too, as this dries.

Eventually, as someone else mentioned, this develops a plasticky feel. D: Nooo! The lovely creamy strawberry goodness! And then, it definitely does the same thing Misk U does on my skin. The hell? :P

I will put this up for sale or swap eventually, to hopefully go to the home of someone with more cooperative skin chemistry.

It takes a while for Beaver Moon to develop on my skin, but when it does, it's cherries and whipped cream with a little bit of cake. My skin usually doesn't cooperate with food-y scents, and I get the feeling that this would be tons better in a scent locket, but this is really yummy. It's a lot creamier than Bloody Mary, which is kind of tangy. Beaver Moon is really wearable, so it's going to get tons of play.

3.5/5

On me, this is pure, strawberry plastic. To the point that I just had to wash it off before I went out. I don't exactly want people telling me that I smell like their favorite doll from their childhood!

I'm going to try to use this in a burner, as I love the creamy cherry/strawberry smell I get straight out of the bottle. It seems like it would make a room smell wonderful.

In the bottle: Creamy cakey! Very heavy on the creamy part.

Wet: Starts off very sweet and cakey and red-fruity. Kind of strawberry candy-ish. For a few seconds it goes plasticy, before settling down into a cherry-vanilla.

Dry: Stays cherry-vanilla, but becomes softer and less "smack you in the face". It's not bad, but it's not for me.

Beaver Moon 2007

Grade: A (4/5)

(Outside): The outside of the imp smells sweet and slightly sugary.

(Inside: sugary almondy.. touch of spice. sweet...but not strawberry-candy or lolly sweet.

A very artificial nutty sweet.

Chemistry: It's still almost a nutty-sweet almond. I can smell a little bit of spice and it seems to amp the sweetness ... After 10 minutes it smells kind of sugary with a faint strawberry cheesecake topping lingering in the air. And as it calms down further i don't smell much of the almond at all. Instead, i get a really nice, gentle strawberry-vanilla aroma from an otherwise cherry-almond dessert. Really yucky and almond-nutty-in-a-market-stall when wet, deliciously light and sugary on the drydown.

This one actually makes me think of scent descriptions I've read of the original Beaver Moon, as initially it smells quite cake-batter-y on me. Think vanilla cake with heaps of gooey strawberry topping and whipped cream.

My only complaint is that in less than an hour it fades to an odd, slightly grassy smell on me - but I've got a whole bottle to reapply from.

Graham cracker crust set to perfume! With some sweetness that's not exactly fruity, just sugary-creamy. I like it quite a bit - not as much as the old concoction, but if this doesn't sour out on me, I'll keep it.

Update: "Ummm, Beaver Moon 2007, we need to talk. I really like you and whatever, but...you're just too plasticky for me. Sorry it didn't work out, have a good life, kthxbye."

Edited by dirtytrip

I love strawberries and their smell and continously try to find a strawberry scent that works for me. So far that has been Strawberry Moon, so I continue my search for a less extravagant strawberry scent.

Beaver Moon 2007 is not it.

The beginning was promising. Strawberries and cherries in the vial, sweet but not too sweet.

The minute it was applied on my skin, it turned into a graham plastic cracker. :P

And now, it smells like the scent on a new Barbie doll.

I think it's the cream. I think BPAL's cream accord tends to smell plasticky on me, because it has the same problem that Zarita did. And I so wanted to like Zarita.

*sigh*

Off to swaps.

In vial: cherry (the almondy sort), vanilla and *sniffs harder* just a twist of strawberry.

Wet on skin: cheesecake! A biscuit crumb base with vanilla cream cheese, topped with a thin layer of jam. I was expecting more fruit than this!

Dry on skin: syrupy cherries and strawberries - canned rather than fresh - over a base of creamy vanilla. It's foody and yummy and it gets better all the time, but it's not quite as fabulous as Monster Bait: Bloody Mary. The final notes are strawberries and vanilla cream.

To me, this smells like Lush's Snowcake soap with a dollop of cherry cordial on top.

I get more of a boozy note than a candy one, though that seems to burn off of my skin quickly leaving notes of bright red cherries and almond.

I am so glad I was able to find a bottle!