Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Atrous

Bright Red Dildo

METRO
I beg you, don’t lie, dear Coritto: Who was the Man who stitched for you this bright red dildo?

CORITTO
I don’t know if Cerdon is from Chios or Erythrae; bald, small – you’d call him a right ‘Mr. Tradesman’. You’ll think you’re seeing the handiwork of Athena herself not Cerdon’s.
I – for he arrived bringing two, Metro – at the sight of them – well my eyes bulged; men can’t make their rods as rigid as this – we are alone and can be frank – and not only that, these are as soft as sleep; and the little leather straps are as soft as wool, not like leather straps at all. A kinder cobbler to a woman you’ll not find – even by putting-out.

METRO
Why then did you not take the other one as well?

CORITTO
What didn’t I do, Metro? What sort of means of persuasion did I not apply him? Kissing him, stroking his bald head, pouring out a sweet drink for him, calling him by a pet name, giving him all by my body to enjoy.

METRO
If he asked even that you ought to have given him it.

Red leather and honey.

I'm having one of those this is really complex for a scent with two notes moments

This starts out as prominent leather. it's a new leather and has a sharp quality. There is also something Red about this ,but at first, I wasn't quite sure why. It didn't seem to be coming from the leather itself.

As it morphs, the leather starts to smell musky and takes on a worn aspect. The honey starts to come out. Its there but minds its manners; for which I'm thankful.

It's not until the drydown that I realize what's going on. There's red musk. Yep, red musk and I'm over the moon. I also believe that I'm smelling some other musk, a darker musk. I have this impression because the scent has a red quality to it but also something darker, murkier.

It all comes together in a musky, raw, sweet, sexy scent.
Absolutely love this!

This opens with a blast of sweet honey. Once it has had a chance to sit on the skin for a bit I get honey, red musk and a hint of leather. I have been wearing Smut a lot lately, and in certain ways this has similarities. It's not as sugary, but the sweetness from the honey is a strong presence on me, as is red musk. For now the leather remains a little in the background for me.

As it wears the sweetness from the honey calms and the leather comes out more. At this stage it loses a bit of the Smutty similarities as the red musk also calms.

I like this a lot. I think I will like it even more once it ages, because I think all the notes will melt together more.

Edited by Franny

Bright Red Dildo is in much the same vein as Eldritch Dark for me, just without the roses. It's a sweet, musky honey and leather. The "red" is almost certainly red musk as others have identified. I find that it starts heavy on the leather and honey but soon calms into a honeyed musk with just a hint of a sharp edge from the leather. This is rich, sultry, and dark. I'm smitten.

Would definitely pair this with Eldritch Dark HG. If you like Eldritch you may very well like this as well.

Edited by SimplySyra

^Totally agree with the above review, Bright Red Dildo is Eldritch Dark minus the sweet floral aspect (the sugared rose) and the slight chemical bent from the black leather. Exactly what it says on the tin--honeyed red musk and leather. The red musk is a bit sharp as the bottle is just a week or so old but this will be lovely with more aging.

Maybe the Eldritch Dark sex shop sells Bright Red Dildos?

Wow...crazy. I'm not getting "leather" from this *at all*, I'm getting red musk all the way (my skinistry has a tendency to amp that scent over everything else), with a tail end of honey and spice. I'm really insanely curious to know what this will age into. I'd love it if the leather comes out a bit more, because I suspect that will take this over the top.

This is nice. The leather in it is very soft and subtle, not nearly as strong and dark as I expected, and of course the honey helps to sweeten it up. There's something almost... floral about this? But it's actually very light scent that plays close to the skin.... not at all what I expected from the name!

I didn't order a decant of this initially because I was scared of the leather. Then reviews hinted that there might be some red musk in it, and I had to try it, so I hunted down a decant.

Wet: Well, the leather is present, but not doing that chemically thing that it does sometimes (which usually happens instantly) so this may work out ok! I don't know if I'm really getting red musk, but I like what I am smelling! The honey in this is amazing. I find the whole blend subtler than I was imagining. It's really nice so far.

Dry: Soft, well-worn leather, hints of honey. I am not getting any red musk. This is nice though! It's only the second leather blend (the other is Whip) that I have been able to wear! I don't need a bottle, but I am glad to have tried it, gives me hope that sometimes I can wear leather!

Sugary, cloying, honey flavored dusting powder and nothing else. Not much throw or staying power. I'm not getting anything like leather or red musk.

Edited by Little Bird

Leather and honey. This is a very womanly leather blend. The honey definitely feminizes the leather. And I get that this is O doing leather, because that's a pretty spot on analogy.

Sexy, sexy leather.

Yummy, sweet leather at first. Yes, this very sexy, BUT the sweetness disappears on me. This would have been an upgrade if it hadstayed how it was in the first stages. Ends up much too dry.

this starts off with a sweet red musk type of scent but i don't think it's just red musk, which quickly changes to red leather and honey. this actually does make me think of red leather or pvc. there is a sheen to this leather, making it seem more like patent leather than regular leather. it's verrrrry sexy.

Retesting Lupers from last year. So, I remember I was super excited about this because red leather is my favorite leather (Red Rider ftw) and I loooove honey. How could this not be amazing (and why don't I remember it?). Anyway, wet on it's sort of a weird muddle of sweetness, I'm very confused. As it dries, the honey begins rolling out in a sweet, almost boozy wave and the leather settles into the background. Definitely getting more honey than leather. Fully dry, this is nice--oddly I get some rose along with the honey and leather. It is soft and supple, almost downy, but there's something about it that isn't quite selling me 100%. Perhaps future testing is needed...

Finally getting around to reviewing this one. First off, the name is epic. Sometimes I just want to wear this for the chance someone asks me if I've been riding horses. So onto the review!
Top note is the lab's GORGEOUS RED MUSK! I love it. Perfect, red sexiness like mountains of all sorts of red blossoms swimming together is a sex soup. What a delight that it's dancing along with shiny, shiny leather. I swear it's patent because it's glistening somehow. The honey adds even more depth here, but in the drydown the batteries start to wear out. It goes REALLY soft and WAY dry on me, the red notes fade fast and the leather starts to scream. Something about my body chemistry seriously amps any sort of leather note, and this turns into a SN. I love it at the beginning, when the sweet RED is fresh, but after 3O minutes, I smell like the inside of an old, leather jacket. I can see those sexy leather lovers hoarding bottles of this!

Edited by Jenjin

Bright Red Dildo

In the Bottle: Red musk, warm leather and dry honey

Wet: Immediately upon application I get hit with sweet dry red musk and honey infused leather. I can’t really say it smells particularly soft or well-worn, but it’s somewhat thick, coarse and warm.

Drydown: During this phase I get more of the red musk and it behaves much like Smut does on skin. It’s sultry, raunchy, and a little playful. Though... the red musk and leather leave a rather dry combination lingering around. I can’t really say that's my thing. In the final stages of the drydown I get a really lovely sugary sweet, light leather- if this was what it smelt like from the initial phase, I’d most certainly be all over it. Alas, it is not to be.

TL;DR: Sweet, dry red musk and a touch of thick, warm leather.

Edited by celestia

This is from the 2019 version.

Wet: I definitely get the scent memory of heading to the beach, which is odd given the notes. I guess that's what red leather does on me? That kinda musky, coconutty sunscreen vibe.

dry: I was super hesitant given that honey amps on me. I'm pleasantly surprised that the leather doesn't let it take over. I do enjoy the smell of this wet vs. dry, though. It's a close-to-the-skin scent when it dries. It also becomes less diverse. I get mostly dry honey and sun-warmed leather that's dried out.

2019:

This year is drier. 2019's version smells like a leather motorcycle seat baking in the summer sun.

2019:

I was hoping for the same red leather from Yule 2018 Fifth Lash and Sixth Lash, a dark sexy musky red leather. 

Ah, no, Bright Red Dildo is unapologetically bright and red and penetratingly honey. It's all honey, with a gloss of shiny red leather vinyl. As it dries, the leather slips away, leaving a more subdued honey but still. Much honey.

I am hoping this one will mellow into something wonderful with age. I'd like to smell the previous years, too.

I am not sure what year this tester is, but I think it's the 2019 version.

I never would have tried Bright Red Dildo if a very kind BPALista hadn't sent it to me. My experience with The Red Rider made me think this would be that horribly strong you-just-walked-into-a-leather-store kind of leather with a stank-y honey, but actually, it's not like that all.

Bright Red Dildo is a musky, honeyed leather scent. The red leather in this softened by the honey note. The scent isn't soft by any means: it's just a lot smoother than I was expecting. Over time, the musky, honeyed leather scent ends up almost having an incense-y quality to it. It is pretty sexy.

I didn't upgrade to a bottle of this, because I just can't see myself reaching for this enough to warrant one, but it was a pleasant surprise. I am thankful that I got a chance to try it, and I will be keeping my decant. :)

Edited by doomsday_disco

2019 Bright Red Dildo is all honey on me for at least the first hour, and predominantly honey on me throughout.  It's a warm, dry honey under which I can eventually make out a touch of mildly musky leather.  Not much throw, which is normal for me, but like most BPAL honey blends it lasts a long time.  I was hoping for more leather, but this is really very nice.  

2020 version (and I haven't tried any previous years' editions):

In the bottle: straight up honey, with leather peeking out underneath

On me: Wet, the leather and honey are both present, I love BPAL honey blends, so this is awesome. Dry: I'm getting a lot less leather than I expected...it's more of a very soft well worn note keeping this from being pure honey. This reminds me of both Wome Furie and SnakeSkin...as if those 2 got together and had a baby. And that is totally ok with me, as I love both of those, and SS wasn't available this year, and I have enough WF to not purchase a new bottle. 

This one is a winner for me, and like all BPAL scents, I'm looking forward to seeing where the aging process takes it.

Lots of honey, a smidge of red musk, a little bit of leather.  This is too sweet for me.  The leather is somewhere between supple kidskin and raw or hard leather.  So, no black S&M leather and no cowboy leather.  ;)   I agree that BRD bares similarities to Womb Furie and Snake Skin.  It also reminds me of Smut and a bit of Krapus Lace (though it's much less complex).  Since I have all of those others, BRD is redundant, but if the idea of leather tinged honey sounds yummy to you, give this a go.  

red leather yellow leather red leather yellow leather

Ok now that's out of the system. I am on a mission to try every leather the lab makes. This is a tippy-top favorite in the leather collection and I'm struggling to wear anything else right now. For only 2 notes this blend is very complex and mysterious. For me this has the same leather vibe as Red Rider or Dragon's Hide but toned waaaay the heck down and given a skin-milk creaminess from the honey. There's a low key red musk/dragon's blood thing going on here, and it reads as the best version of both: a hot, salty-skin scent. Like an evening after a day at the beach. The honey isn't chewy at all, or overly sugary, just clear and rich. My favorite type of honey for sure. I'm impressed with the 2019/2020 honey note, it's been a winner everywhere I've found it so far. 

I agree this is in the Eldritch family, so if you liked that you'll like this too. I love this blend; full bottle, hair gloss, backups, yes gimme all of that. 

Edited by supreme_c0rt

2020 Version

In bottle: A murky honey with a subtle leather.

Wet: I've made a terrible mistake.

Dry: I've said my safe word, please stop. 

After a few minutes: O.K. I'm gonna level with you all, I never make it much past this, but on my third try, I gritted my teeth & tried.

After the first hour: I didn't make it past this.

Final Thoughts: So here's the thing about leather... I don't like it. I don't like it as furniture, or clothes, or anything. I have a black purse that I love made of leather & that's it. I thought I liked it in BPAL, but I think it was a single perfume from like 2012? That was it. Since then, I have learned I amp a lot of the leather notes & I don't like any of them. This one in particular. You shouldn't have to fake it when you're alone, so you shouldn't have to try so hard to like a perfume when you're the only one smelling it either. So, I will be putting this on the "Please leave." pile like it's an ex that keeps calling & I need to block their number. 

tl;DR: It smelled like sticky leather. Leather from an expensive car where everyone is very hot & the AC is broken. Yeah, that wasn't the kind of hot I meant... I meant musky hot & this doesn't list musk.

Wear: I don't know. It's not that kind of dil... I washed it off.

Throw: Pretty far. The bottle is small, so I mean, you can really build up a good fling with it. Scent wise, about 6 feet, so... it's impressive for that.

On me? It's a cologne scent. That's not to say it is only that, but if this were marketed by a typical perfumery, I'd be demographic for that skin chemistry. (I'm only including this because it's a thing I always want to know.) (It's more cologne leaning based of how it smells on me or who I'd rather smell it on. Also, this does not denote a gender or person who cannot wear it, but the feel it gives off to me.) 

I hope we can appreciate how few innuendos I made. Also, I did not ACTUALLY throw the bottle. At some point it will be listed for sale/trade/whatever. I am against perfume abuse.

Edited by TheLampades
I cannot spell

2021 version. I have been eyeing this for a few years, but this is my first time sniffing any incarnation of it. 

In the decant: The sweetness of honey over the tang of leather. The leather isn't the harsh chemically leather I get from the Lab's black leather, but it's not as muted as brown or worn leather. 

On my skin:

Wet, both are visible straight off, with the honey falling back to the leather on the initial drydown. It's sweet leather rather than honey as a distinct note. As it dries, the honey does regain prominence in the scent's throw while leather still owns the skin scent. About an hour or so in, the two notes meld really nicely, so that it's soft leather and rich honey all rolled into one. 

My fear of leather (mostly, fear that a given leather will be the harsh chemical kind) kept me from trying this. Now that I have, I could see upgrading to a bottle.