Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Arrr! Avast ye, matey! This be the scent of pirate rum!

I was gifted a TON of imps by the very sweet ephemera, and Grog was one of them.

In the imp, it has a dark, deep & buttery scent-wet, smells like liquid butterscotch candies (YUM!) and upon drydown, I smell very faint hints of burnt coconut, it never had any rum scent but this is so delightful as is that I don't even mind! As strong as the scent is in the vial (and it is STRONG-I could clearly smell it before it was even opened!) it doesn't stick around my skin for long, boo =[

Sweet, sweet, sweet! This is all butterscotch ice-cream syrup to me, with maybe a hint of lemon.

This scent has the same heavy dusty note that amps on me from Miskatonic University. It's almost a dupe until it dries down. Were Misk U goes woody and creamy on me, this goes sickly sweet. It's really hard to describe other than that!

It doesn't smell like rum to me at all, but I like it nonetheless. 7/10

A frimp from the lab :D Purely boozy scents don't always work on me, but I do love the smell of rum, so maybe this will still surprise me pleasantly.

In the imp - butterscotch and rum! Smells like my mum's kitchen when she's baking. Delicious!

On wet - slightly boozier butterscotch, but still very sweet, and even slightly fizzy. This is a fun one.

Drydown - behaves surprisingly well on the drydown. I thought this would be pure boozy butterscotch all the way through, jumping out at you, but as it dries down it rounds out, becoming slightly sweet, slightly nutty, slightly buttery and very rich. A great oil for lovers of foody scents :)

This was a frimp from the Lab. I *love* Kill-Devil, so I was looking forward to trying this.

In the imp it's all sugary honey, and not a bit of rum or anything boozy.

On, it's still super-sweet honey until dry-down, then it's.... waffles with butter and syrup.

I guess this is what happens when the rum's gone-- the pirates all head for the Waffle House. :(

In bottle: Delicious buttery rum

Wet: Still delicious buttery- wait, where are you going? Ack! Where did the sharp bite of coconut suntan lotion come from? Noooooo….

Dry: Still has that sharp coconut suntan smell overlaying my delicious rum.

Notes: If it hasn’t turned into suntan lotion, it smells soooo good in the bottle.

Grog

Boozy butterscotch (like the Buttershots schnapps) and a little coconut with a smoky undertone. Unfortunately, I get the "Play-Doh" smell from this.

Butterscotch and rum...but this has the "old" note in it as well. I thought it was dust, but dust is a bit different, makes me sneezy. This is almost musty. Like a pirate spilled their butterscotch rum in their old dusty library. It's not as dusty as Miskatonic University, but it's similar. The dust in MU made me not like it, but I do like this Grog.

I'm seriously disappointed by this one. In the imp it smells like the most delicious, buttery rum. On me it smells like straight-up play-doh :(

YUM!! All butterscotch when wet. Soon as it dries down, its still buttery sweet w a little of the rum coming out. I love this scent! Any foodie should really like this!

A GC love!

9/10

This starts out as delicious butterscotch on me, but it seems I'm one of those poor unfortunate souls who it turns to play-dough on.. :cry2: This one's headed for the swap box.

If this doesn't smell amazing on you and turns to play-doh, my heart really goes out to you. :cry2: This is so rich and lucious and as it dries down I am really craving a big tall frosted mug of this stuff! :yum: No wonder everybody wants to be a pirate!

Edited by Sultaana

I definitely get butterscotch from this, but crazily enough, it doesn't go nasty buttered popcorn on me. It's almost caramelly in feel. At some point in the drying process I kind of smelled jelly beans, but it defnitely ends up caramel/butterscotch with a hint of spice. What I don't get is a lot of booze- and that's not a bad thing since booze-heavy scents are usually really awful on my skin. I didn't expect Grog to smell this way at all, and I didn't expect my skin to get along with it, but it's really not bad. I imagine that this is what butterbeer smells like! Now I just have to figure out when/where I would wear this...

I think I may pretend it's a Weenie since those aren't working so hot for me this year. ;)

I also wish I would have ordered Anne Beany if Bpal butterscotch/rum smells like this!

Ack!! Buttery butterscotch rum. I'm reminded of the buttered popcorn flavored Jelly Bellies. I love the butterscotch in Anne Beany, but this is too one-note and overpowering.

Admittedly I had never been too taken by the description of this. Pirate rum sounds too liquory to me and I was never very curious about it. Yet this past Saturday at NYCC, the tester for it was in the top left corner of one of the displays at the booth and it caught my eye. So I sniffed it. Instant love!!!! This must be what JK Rowling was thinking of when she wrote about Butterbeer. It's warm, creamy, melted butterscotch with just a hint of coconut rum. I think my eyes may have rolled in my head a bit when I smelled it. I didn't even test it, I just bought it based on sniff alone. When I put it on later that night it was all delicious butterscotch for a long time and then turned into creamy coconut hours later. Grog where have you been all my life?! My new favorite GC. If you like Miskatonic University, Anne Beany, or Hellcat, you would probably love this.

I got this scent from a generous BPAL imp-fairy. The description made me smile and the scent itself made me giggle.

Upon opening the imp, it immediately reminded me of sugarcane: bright, sweet and not overly syrupy. The promise of alcohol tickles the back of your nose, just like it does when you pop open a new bottle of your favorite adult beverage.

Wet on the skin, still very sweet, maybe even more so than in the bottle.

On the dry-down, the liqueur begins to ring through a bit stronger and a damp wood scent seems to peek out- it reminds me of oak barrels, still wet after being emptied of their rum.

This scent really made me want a drink... something chilled, like a drink at the Ren Faire we call "Breakfast": lots of rum, ice and just enough Dr. Pepper to kill the burn (It's unfortunate that I'm preggers right now and can't drink till October).

It also conjured an image of me chewing on stick of sugar cane, while enjoying an iced tea on my late Great-grandmothers front porch in Oklahoma in mid-July.

This is definitely a summertime scent and I can't wait to try it at faire next month... if it works out well enough, I might end up going for a full bottle.

All butterscotch candy in the imp, later more of a (tasty, awesome) mix of butterscotch, rum, and a caramelly almost burned sort of denseness. Suitably boozy, but sweet enough to scare off my cat and make me very happy. I'm going to be dousing my bodices in this for all piratical situations.

Edited by Lady.Pirate

It's hardly complex. I think people read things into this that aren't there such as caramel. It's a one noter; butterscotch. Unfortunately, it's burnt butterscotch. I ordered a bottle because I am a hardcore foodie and though I like it well enough, it doesn't make my heart sing.

And when you first get a whiff the pungency is almost painful. :thud: But it does calm down.

Edited by Gael

Oh my God. I love this. It’s very butterscotch and carmel and … absolutely delicious. I asked my boyfriend to smell it and he just licked my entire arm instead. “Tasty.”

In the imp: Clear, light golden yellow oil. Smells exactly like butterscotch hard candies or butterscotch chips. Makes me want to eat it. I'm not getting any note of booze.

On me, wet: Ah, now there's the rum, more like rum extract flavoring for foods rather than real rum. Butterscotch is still dominant. Yummy!

On me, just dried: The butterscotch lightens up as it dries, and the sharp alcohol scent of real rum comes out, with just a touch of butter in the background.

After a while: The boozey sharpness has gone, but otherwise it still smells like a fairly true buttered rum.

After several hours: There is still a faint but sweet and tantalizing scent of butterscotch or butter-rum candies.

Verdict: I love this! It's very fun (with all of its changes, and with the whole concept) and utterly delicious. I wouldn't wear it as a perfume, though, at least not out in public. I don't want to smell like food - or even worse, like alcohol. But I will enjoy wearing it at home; and I'll especially enjoy it in an oil warmer as a room scent. It will fill the kitchen with mouthwatering goodness!

My rating: 4 stars

Thank you for the frimp, labbies!

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

Wet: Holy Butterscotch Batman! This smells like hot butterscotch being made from scratch on the stove. The booze packs a kick!

Drydown: Thankfully this becomes less in your face. It's sweet buttery rum. I think I've smelled this before... oh yes! It's Butter Beer!!!!!!

Dry: Oh noes. It's taking on more of an artificial quality. Ummm, perhaps I'm losing my mind but this smells pre.cise.ly like a scented My Little Pony. WTF?

Verdict: What the hell is wrong with my nose? I ask my husband if it smells like My Little Ponies to him and he agrees...that I'm losing my mind.

Grog smells very buttery and rum-y in the vial. Unfortunately, I have ruined myself for rum and rum scents due to an episode of drinking too much coconut rum one night. The smell makes me sort of queasy. This one's not for me.

To me, this smells almost exactly like Anne Beany, but a bit more of that tobacco note when dry. Something in it is also making my skin itch for some reason, I've never encountered that before in a bpal scent! It *is* yummy, but I like my Beany a bit better ^_^

This one is really weird for me. In the imp it smelled just like super sweet butterscotch, which isn't the kind of perfume I'd ever reach for, but as it was a frimp in my last order why not try something new, right? It mellows out a lot on my skin and loses its sweetness, and turns into... well, it smells a lot like Miskatonic University to me! That sort of sweet creamy note, but without the "dustiness" (which to me smelled like dry rice and not old books). I don't get any booziness at all, none of the rum scent that's in Alice's Evidence, for example. I'm not really into it, but I do want to lick my wrists. I'd recommend it to someone who likes foody scents.