Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Arrr! Avast ye, matey! This be the scent of pirate rum!

in the bottle: strong sweet butterscotch.

wet on skin: oh, there's the coconut! but...but...oh...there goes the coconut. bye, coconut. =(

drydown: dries to a plain perfumey sweet smell. the boozy notes never came out on me. the butterscotch disappears. everything disappears. weird.

YARR! AWAY WITH YE, YE SCABROUS DOG!

Grog reminds me exactly of Miskatonic Uni except for one thing.. Miskatonic has a papery/book scent to it whereas Grog has a boozy/acoholic scent to it.

As a shameless drunk, I have to side with Grog.

In the imp: butterscotch

Wet: butterscotch but rum is starting to peek through

Dry: Rum and play doh.

What a combination. And I have a hearing to conduct this morning. *yeesh*

Expectations: Boozy booze, with a squirt of booze syrup and a dollop of booze on top.

In vial: Butterscotch LifeSavers. Yummy childhood flashback.

On skin, wet: Whoa, I just spilled half a bottle of rum on my wrist. The butteriness instantly faded to the background, and there's the slightest hint of cherry.

On skin, dry: The butteriness is returning and balancing the scent out. It's not as delicious as it was in the vial, but at this point it's definitely wearable. I'm getting virtually no throw, which is probably good...less likely that anyone will suspect I'm drunk!

After time: 30 minutes and it's faded more. Not nearly as nice smelling as it was before I applied it.

Conclusion: Sadly, this doesn't seem to work that well on my skin. I love pirates and rum is my drink of choice though, so I'm definitely holding onto this for possible alternate uses.

My first scent, first review, first imp:

In the vial - I could smell this through the many layers of tissue it was wrapped in. Hello, butterscotch!

Wet - buttery, very sweet.

Drydown: Butter has eased way up, coconut, and a little spicey. I can't smell the rum if I do a nose to the front of the wrist, but if I inhale it from the back of the wrist, there's the rum!

Final verdict - sunbathing on a Caribbean beach, slathered in coconut suntan oil, whilst sipping a rum punch! So very glad I ordered the big bottle.

Wet: That ozoney note that boozes turns too on my skin, combined with sweet buttered rum.

Dry: YEAH! the booze dissapears leaving behind a creamy, buttery rum with a faint embrace of coconut. Honestly, this smells exactly like the sauce my mom pours on her rum cake to make it rummy, with an extra drizzle of coconut thrown in. Nostalgic heaven.

(frimp! yay!) sweet jeebus! that's yummy! wet, it's SUPER butterscotch. worn, it's butterscotch, vanilla, rum. a slightly drunk beach. it smells like a beach towel with suntan lotion and rum soaked in -- and that's not a bad thing. it's kind of like a grown-up lazy hawaiian tropic. i like it. it's not offensive despite what you'd think given the above. it doesn't have much staying power on me though.

Tried this at a Meet-n-Sniff side-by-side with Kill-Devil.

The two were almost indistinguishable! Kill-Devil might be slightly sweeter.

Grog truly is the scent of rum. So much so that I wonder whether it might be cheaper to use actual rum as a cologne if I want to smell like this. I'm not sure I do. I agree that it does have a buttery sugary note along with the rum scent.

Bottle: Rum. Delicous, buttery, omg, rum.

Wet: RUM! Delicious, buttery, omg, rum.

Dry: RUM! Omg, candle. Noooooooooooooo. :P

I love this stuff in the bottle and in the wet phase, but it dries to Autumn-scented candle, which I'd rather not be smelling like all day.

This would probably be AWESOME as a room scent, though, as I love Autumn, rum, and pumpkin scented candles.

Sniffed in imp: Very sweet, butter-foody caramel with a hint of spiced rum.

A non-tropical Upa Upa (did I try these two backwards, or what?). I thought the butteriness was going to be gross, but instead it softens the rum a bit. This isn't something I'd wear all the time, but I like it!

Imp and on, wet: Butter Rum Lifesavers

Dry: this great warm smoky rum scent

Fabulous mood-lifter after a lousy day at work.

This is strong....very strong indeed!

It reminds me a hell of a lot of Sugar Skull. The only difference being when it's wet, there is a tiny bit of some sort of fruit there, cherry or possibly strawberry..(I never got any fruit from sugar skull). It's like burnt sugar...or toffe or something along those lines...but that dissapears fast! Zooom!

It's very buttery and sweet like most people have said with a slight boozy note. I thought there would be alot more booze in it though!

When it's dry it does change ever so slightly, it's more..green. There's a slight green note to it, similar to what I smelled in Pumpkin 4. Is it sage? or something like that I don't know.

Overall...it's extremley strong and sickly..but in a good way. But I won't be getting a 5ml of this. You'd never run out!

Edited by ouch!

In the imp, this is sweet, almost caramelly.

On my skin, it gets a bit sharper - the alcohol comes through more, but it's still caramel, too.

When it dries, this is still strongly caramelly - with a hint of a tobacco-ness. Strange - nice, but not at all what I expected. This (along with Misk U) might be a good Pinched methadone, for when I can't get "the good stuff". :P

Yummy! Smells like buttery rum!

I didn't like this one when I first sniffed an imp of it earlier last year, but have changed my mind since and now have a 5ml.

It seems my tastes have developed/matured for the better!

:P

Pirate Rum. Spicy butterscotch rum goodness. it has throw like craz and the boy always comments positively when I wear it... he initially always confuses it with Misk. U and Pinched, so I can see the sweet comparisons but there is no coffee here. A light hearted fun scent that is good in warm or cool weather. I´m pondering a 5ml...

This becomes a very sweet scent on me. Not sure if it's just me, but this seems to have a chocolate scent to it when it dries down. It's a slightly boozy scent on me. I ordered a 5ml of this one.

Opened this imp and almost fell over from the sweet concentration of Butterscotch. There are hints of Coconut floating around, but the tropical feel is really secondary to the Butterscotch. Don't know why, but I really thought this would be closer to Captain Morgan. On the skin it is vocal butterscotch, procaliming it's butterscotchiness to anyone who'l listen (or inhale). Eeks. Not my style, but I haven't smelled another BPAL that even remotely resembles this one... Now I know what all the fuss is about!

In vial: butterscotch and a light, fruity rum! No self-respecting pirate would ever be caught drinking this, but he might keep some hidden in his locker to drink on the sly!

Wet on skin: butterscotch schnapps, a little fruity.

Dry on skin: now it's pure, buttery-creamy butterscotch-flavoured fudge! WIN!

Look, you've already read through 9 pages of posts saying it smells like butterscotch; why are you still reading?

I have one thing to add that only half the people above me have pointed out already: it's so much like the background notes of Red Lantern, without the opium and asian spices. It's so awesome. It's like Red Lantern deconstructed!!!

Love it!

Rum, butterscotch and coconut!

On my skin, this is similar to the way that Red Lantern 08 starts off. Usually, on my skin, with Red Lantern the sweetness makes way for the tobacco, but here, there's no tobacco for it to make way for.

When my Red Lantern finally gives out, this *might* do as a GC replacement. Or, part of a GC replacement. I don't like it *quite* as much as Red Lantern, but that's a LE and this is GC.

~edit~

Or, perhaps not. In the immortal words of Jack Sparrow, "but, why is the rum gone?"

What remains is the scent of the empty, dry, cask.

Edited by Aerinha

I don't get rum at all, but I most definitely get Bailey's Irish Creme. Like previous posters, this is almost exactly like MU to me, as my wacky chemistry doesn't pick up the coffee either in that one. Wouldn't wear this out in public, but as with all my foodies, I'll reach for it for a comfort scent or when I get a craving of something fattening!

OMG YUM! Yummy coconut-y rum!! :P Sweeter than I would have imagined, but in a good way!

On my skin, I totally get what all these other reviews are talking about when they say BUTTERSCOTCH! At first iti was very butterscotchy, like butterscotch lifesavers, but hmm, the more bitter alcoholic note also gets stronger as this is on my skin. This almost gets a little plasticky...Hmmm...this is kind of a monet blend to me. Smells good from far away, but up close...it's just kind of odd.

Overall, this is a nice blend. A good rummy/coconut/butterscotchy blend. Don't think I would need this though, because it kinda reminds me of a calmed down Upa Upa, and I barely use Upa Upa as it is. And there's that underlying plastic note that keeps this from being an OMG blend on me.

This is rich buttery-rum scented in the imp. Wet and up close on my wrist it's similar, but the throw is terrible. I don't even know what it is, but it's offputting. Dry, it goes plasticy on me (this is a problem I am reasonably prone to, generally with some vanillas, so that may be a note even if I'm not picking it up). Clearly it was not meant to be. Strong throw, but I can't comment on the wearlength.