Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Arrr! Avast ye, matey! This be the scent of pirate rum!

At first this is sweet and buttery liqueur. A few minutes later it smells even more creamy and a little less alcoholic- absolutely lovely.. if it would stay this way. Unfortunately it doesn't agree at all with my skin chemistry, after ten minutes it goes all play doh. What a shame :P

ETA description of the scent as my post is on a new page Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: Wow! shockingly strong boozy sugar and butter.

Wet: Mostly it smells like burnt sugar and salt with a hint of vanilla.

Drydown: It doesn't smell all that boozy anymore, and the butter has vanished. It's quite a foody blend and reminds me of the sugar note in Sugar Cookie - on me it's burnt sugar. The buttery note comes back out after a while, discreetly. Like many foody blends, it turns to cardboard in extreme drydown.

Overall: Strangely, this reminds me more of pecan/walnut ice cream with maple syrup than of rum. It's a foody scent without a doubt, and as it smells mostly like Sugar Cookie on me, it would be a perfect substitute for an LE. I don't drink alcohol, but when I made people who know the rum smell, they all agreed it was spot on, too.

in the imp:

Werther's Originals.

wet:

Very sweet, very butterscotch-y, with a slight bit of booze.

dry:

Still exactly like butterscotch candies with a hint of plastic - it never really morphs into anything more on me.

overall:

Sticky, sugary, rich butterscotch scent. Fun to try, but not a scent I'd wear.

Grog for the Pirate in Ye!!!!

In the Imp: Mmmm.. Butterscotch.. are you sure I can't drink this?

Dry on skin: Rich buttery goodness.. I think I am in love..

1 Hour: Yes still butter, wish there was more rum.. but hey I can live..

2 hours: GAG... WTF?? I smell like scalded milk, slightly burnt scalded milk... it is HORRID... I sniff my arm and gag, this earns the first wash off for scent...

~whimpers~ what happened to my hot buttered rum? Where are you...

Giving away with ALL speed... ick... :D :P

I approached Grog with some trepidation as I have had previous fallings out with Jack and Gluttony, and I knew that Grog had a similar feel to it.

Wet and in the imp: very very intense caramel/toffee/butterscotch scent with a hint of alcohol in the background. This certainly doesn't smell like Bacardi! When first on the skin it is almost too much to take. It smells like a rum baba - a rum soaked sponge pudding, very sweet and cakey and alcoholic.

The drydown is weird. When smelled really close up (like nose smooshed against skin distance), Grog is almost horrible, burnt and nasty, but smelled from a bit more of a distance the burnt smell doesn't appear at all. This has an amazingly long throw. I have been getting cakey wafts all afternoon which has been Grog on my arm. The alcohol tinge disappears within an hour or so.

The extreme drydown on me is very similar to the drydown of Midway, which is a big bonus as I like smelling like vanilla ice-cream.

I shall keep the imp, but I don't think its bottleworthy as I don't think I'll want to smell like a rum flavoured pudding very often.

Grog actually reminded me a bit of MiskU...but...different. It had that Irish coffee minus the coffee kind of feel to it. It was sweet, buttery, boozy and rather cheerful. It's certainly potent, so definately not for the non-foody wussies.

This is how I expect the "butterbeer" from Harry Potter to smell. Reading over these reviews, I think I got lucky with the body chemistry...for once!

Yup... rum alright. Complete with a very heavy alcohol note. I like drinking rum in mixed drinks but I don't like smelling like I fell into a vat of it. :P

In the bottle:Burning plastic.

Wet:Burning plastic smothered in butterscotch.

Dry:Plastic smell slowly but surely moves aside to reveal a creamy butterscotch syrup scent.Alittle overwhelming but nice.

I thought this would be more boozy but it's thick and sickly sweet.Good for foody scent lovers!

In the Imp: Arg Matey. This be rum.

Wet: Rum, coconut, brown sugar, and more sweet things.

Dry: Grog smells almost exactly the same on me as Gluttony, without the overbearing Toffee smell from the wet stage. Dry, it's a dead ringer. Sweet and sugary with a hint of coconut.

I can't decide if I like Gluttony or Grog better. They're so similar I can't see having a bottle of each, but it make take a while to pick a favorite.

Final verdict: If you want a pirate scent, go with Port Royal. Grog is foody and sweet, and doesn't shout Pirate to me.

Grog;

I have found yum... warm, gooey, comforting, I NEED A BIIIG BOTTLE OF THIS for mental health days.. :P ...

I don't care what it is made of, I just know it smells like home on a cloudy rainy day, when the fireplace is roaring, and a toddy is what is on the menu.

Better than a teddy bear.

When I opened my imp of Grog and smelled it, I almost recoiled. It isn't a bad smell, it's just VERY rich, buttery, creamy, STRONG. A little of this one goes a long way. It calms down when I put it on. I really like this one, it reminds me of Snickerdoodle coffee. And yes, butterscotch, as others have said.

I love this! Smells like Buttershots.

It's sweeter than I expected, and very sugary/buttery with a bit of bite from the rum.

Discovered it layers lovely with Jack.

I think Jack+Grog is now my perfect scent. I'm in loooooooove.

In bottle: obviously a light rum ;-) Vanilla spiced light rum with maybe a touch of citrus

Wet: citrus is gone, there is less rum , more spice, some coconut and something dark and smoky that wasn’t in the bottle. Much less sweet and vanilla than I’d have expected.

Dry: Dry dark airy spices that have sweetened up a bit again. I’m not sure where the rum went, maybe it was burnt up because the wafts of sharp, dark dry smoke are even more strongly.

Later: three and a half hours in it is moderately spiced toasted coconut.

Even later: eight hours and and the bottom notes are still holding true.

Summary: Not bad. I’ll keep the imp, at least for now, but not wanting a big bottle either. I prefer to eat toasted coconut to smelling like it, I guess.

I put some of this on before going to rehearsal. As I say (a lot) I work for a youth theatre.

Wet, it smelled like a Butterrum Lifesaver. I was kind of grooving on that. As it dried, it picked up a very strong, inexplicable coconut note.

By the time I got to the theatre, it was all coconut with a strong sugary undertone. One of my friends took a sniff and proclaimed that I smelled exactly like an Almond Joy. One of the girls told me she would do anything I said as long as I smelled like this. I'm directing, so that would be a good thing, but I still can't quiet get behind smelling like an Almond Joy full time.

Keeping the imp? maybe, but just to try to enable the other wenches at Ren Fair.

Bottle? No, thank you.

Edited by Ghost Light

Grog smells like rum fudge.

It's like burnt brown sugar, vanilla, spice which I can't put my finger on and butter. It's a lot like Jack in terms of sweetness - hot burning sugar.

The creamyness is more prominant than the alcohol note overall. As it dries the sweetness dies away a little but the spicyness remains.

With a light application, it's really wearable and yummy. Overdo it and you and everybody else around you could pass out.

In the imp: Butterscotch. Pure butterscotch and a bit of booze – slippery nipple! I really want to drink it.

Wet/Drydown: Still thick, creamy butterscotch, but it really boozes up on my skin – I feel slightly tipsy just from sniffing it! But oh God, it smells SO edible. I never thought I’d like such an outright foody scent, but if I were a guy and I smelled this on me, I’d totally want me.

Dry: Reeeeeally boozy butterscotch. The creamy buttery-ness of the butterscotch has taken a backseat to the SUGAR of it, so I’m not sure this is something I’ll really end up wearing much.

Grog..compliments of the Lab..than you very much!!!

Initial sniff from imp: Even before I actually get the off fully..what leaps up to my nose is…butterscotch!!! Hee hee…and then when I actually get the wand to my nose and take a whiff..it’s all about the butter/rum candy I used to love to eat. Foody..but fun..at least in this stage. I bet my sis would love this. I know I kind of do.

Applied wet on skin: Sweet butterscotch and rum!!! It’s not over the top sweet that I can’t stomach..but it’s certainly sweet. But..I kind of like it..it makes me smile. I keep thinking that I smell something else in there too..like a coconut note..but I can’t be too sure.

Couple of minutes on skin: Now I really do smell that coconut note..with the boozy butterscotch not far behind. It’s foody..but that coconut note really makes it sing for me. Normally I don’t really enjoy foody scents..but this one is just so darn likeable. I bet this would layer really well with other fragrances too..hmmm….

Twenty minutes later-drying on skin-It’s almost all toasted coconut with the boozy butterscotch playing second fiddle. It’s softened up a bit…closer to my skin..but certainly still has presence. I don’t know why..but at this point, this smells awfully similar to another BPAL fragrance I had tried..I can’t put my finger on it..darn!!! Still enjoying it immensely…although..on the tail end of whiffing this rabidly..I do detect something along the lines of a Play-doh note..which isn’t offensive to me. Maybe..maybe this sort of reminds me in some way of Eden…it’s that fresh “wet” coconut…but I can’t be sure.

Drydown: Yep..for whatever reason I am thinking this sort of smells likeEden..it’s that watery/coconut/slightly Play-doh note infused with butterscotch and rum...I knew I had smelled it somewhere else..and it’s what makes Grog so very appealing to me. It’s still making its’ presence known in a yummy way..and I am surprised about how much I am enjoying it.

Lasting power is also very impressive…8+ hours and throw is medium to strong..

Bottom Line: I find Grog kind of fabulous actually..and I think it works well by itself and layered with other fragrances. I think I would find it wonderful in the late fall and winter..when one wants to think of hot buttered rum and some equally guy in a rough seamans wool sweater smelling of the sea and rum…both of you weathering the storm indoors and making some “stormy” action of your own..hehehehehehehehe. Definitely keeping my imp and will consider a full bottle purchase at some point.

I quite love the butterscotch smell, but there's something in this scent that's not working with my body chemistry -- I don't know if it's the rum note (boozy scents are hit and miss on me. Bordello, Tintagel and Bon Vivant work on me, but Kali doesn't, for example) or the spices, but there's something sharp hiding under that smooth and creamy butterscotch. Medicinal Werther's :P In fact, this makes me think of Mary Poppins and her medicine: yummy butterscotch, but with a definite medicinal/alcohol feel.

I'm going to use up my imp, and then make a decision about Grog. The sharpness does fade after an hour, so if I can live with that, then I may well love this scent! Dunno if it's something I'd really put into regular rotation, however. I -thought- I was a total foody scent lover, but I'm reluctantly starting to realize it's touch and go for me.

Butterscotch and nothing else - wish I could get even a hint of rum from this. Too sweet and straight-ahead foody for me.

Later, it's mostly play-doh with a hint of butterscotch. Not sickening, but nothing special.