Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellcat

A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

I was told by someone that this smelled like yummy Chocolate on them.

At first in teh bottle it was kind of a warm and sweet scent. On my skin it turned to a nice cherry smell. It was like opening a jar or Maraschino Cherries to add one to your cocktail.

However it quickly turned very offensive, like Cat Pee. Why do I keep getting a few imps that smell like Cat Pee.

I dont understand either, as I typically love Almond and Butter Cream notes. But for the same reason I thought I was going to like Gluttony, but it was just too much.

Oh well, maybe someone else will enjoy this one.

this smelled SO heavenly in the bottle, but on me, it smelled like i'd rubbed honey on my arm and doused it with a 40 oz. of O.E. malt liquor. :P

In the bottle: wow, lots of butter in this one! I'm not sure I want to smell that buttery.

Fresh on: okay, less with the butter and more with the hot toddy. There's definitely rum in this.

Drydown: Ew, it's the same burnt-sugar note that I got from Gluttony. I believe this must be the hazelnut, and I think I'll not order anything else with that component, TYVM. In fact, I'd classify this as "Gluttony Lite" -- it's not as thick and heavy a scent, but it's very definitely in the same family. And it's very definitely not for me; off to the swap pile with this one.

ETA: No, it's not the hazelnut; it's the rum. Apparently rum and my skin just don't get along. I don't know what's up with Gluttony, because it doesn't have rum in it -- but everything else that goes burnt-sugar on me does.

Edited by stardreamer

First impression - almond! Sweet, sugary almond goodness. Then it mellows and gets buttery. The rum and honey sweetness comes out. I agree that it is similar to Gluttony, but with less of the chocolate and without the rich bitter balance of hops. Faint and sweet, it lasts for a couple hours.

I like this, and would probably wear it more than Gluttony. It's warm and sweet without making me ravenous for dessert.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Buttery.

In the imp/bottle: Hazelnut, buttercream and almond!

On skin, wet: Thjs is the epitome of the word "buttery." Very boozey as well, with the sharp tang of the buttercream. Beneath that, thick honey and the ever-present almond.

On skin, dry: Rich, fattening buttercream/almond butter. Is there sandalwood here? Something smells very much like sandalwood, though I suppose it might be the hazelnut.

Conclusion: A foody/booze fan's dream. I'm a fan of neither, so this isn't for me.

Edited by Aredhel

Gah. While the forums were down I managed to convince myself that I would still be able to review blends without having to write any notes down anywhere. Because I'm stoopid.

So... hm...

Hellcat

In the bottle:

Butterscotch Schnapps! Very buttery and boozy.

Wet:

There's a brief spark of undistinguishable fruitiness, then

Drydown:

Overpowering... something. (Very helpful, I know :P) It's just a very strong, overpoweringly sharp "perfume" scent that is creating a harsh feeling in the back of my throat. I can still pull sweetness out of it too, but the harsh whatever-the-heck-it-is is almost hurting my nose. Yikes!

Later:

About four hours later Hellcat calms down to a smooth, slightly over-sweet honey creaminess.

I've tried this one twice, and have gotten the weird super harsh phase both times. I'm right in the middle of my spring allergies, so hopefully that's got something to do with it (that and the dust/cat hair/miscellaneous detritus that we've been unearthing during the packing up process). I'll give her one more try after the move to see if she needs to move on.

Initial Sniff: Honey and almond. I am in sugar shock!

Wearing: Mmmm.. the rum comes out and heats up this sweet, blend. This is positively viscous... thick and swirling with sweet honey. It starts off foody, but the drydown is somehow not. Yummy and warm.

Final Impressions: This isn't really me, but I'll save my imp until next winter for a glorious bath or perhaps a massage bar! :P

Mmm. :D Hellcat is like the unholy spawn of Gluttony and Black Phoenix. :P Seriously. There's a boozy cherry note here that reminds me of Black Phoenix, but it dries down to Gluttony's hazelnut-buttercream-almond, but I actually like this better than either of those...none of the bitter coffee edge of Gluttony and none of the odd fizziness of the Phoenix. This is a solid gourmand scent that I may not wear very much of in warm weather but will definitely make much use of come fall (or the odd chilly night that happens here in the mountains). Purr, cat, purr.

This was a giftimp from the lab (but it was on my wish list too). Thanks lab--I'm glad I got to try this! :D

In the vial and on when wet, this is heavenly--honey and toffee sweetness. However, after about 15 minutes, it does the same thing Sugar Skull did--turns to pure maple syrup. Skin chemistry strikes again. I wanted to love this. :P

In bottle: woooo...I smell the buttery alcoholic sweetness. Kind of spicy. My mouth is watering for Tortuga Rum Cake.

Wet: Hellcat smells rather alcoholic on me. The sweetness isn't so strong as it was in the bottle.

Dry: The sweetness came out more in the dry-down, but a strong cinnamon note emerged and I don't do cinnamon.

On a more positive note, my best friend dug it, so she is the proud new owner of this little imp. It smells sweet and foody on her, which it what I was hoping it would smell like on me!

Thick, sickeningly sweet honey and butterscotch. It gives me a glutted, overindulged feeling - the way I get after baking when I eat too much of the dough and feel so sick I never want to even see a sweet again.

I thought the booziness was only there a short while but apparently my nose just turned off to it - someone came in my office later and accused me of drinking. :P

This has inviting elements to it, it's just a bit too strong for me. I'll try layering it with something a little drier and sterner and see what that produces.

In the vial this smelt very caramelly, but as it dried on me it switched between honey and sweet almond. Now it's dried on me, it's like sugared honey (if such a thing is possible). I like it, but it's not going to be a favourite.

Hellcat!

I really wanted to like this one based on what was in it, but mostly because the name just is way too cool. But, I did not.

Imp Sniff: Urgh. Strong. I can't pick out what it is but its vaguely alcoholic.

On me: Bitter. Icky.

I scrubbed it off.

Verdict: To the trade pile you go, Hellcat!

Hellcat starts out as that marzipan-ish cherry/almond note, which I find a wee bit saccharine, though I occassionally catch whiffs of what smells like real almonds. I'm not sure if that's just my imagination, though. It eventually dries down into a creamy, buttery smell with a nutty edge - nice, but not something I want to walk around smelling like. Pleasantly, I don't get much booze at all. Still, it is definitely a very indulgent scent - I have the same "whoa, too sweet!" reaction I had to Gluttony. And I normally love sweet scents.

Edited by tarantulove

I am in love.

Hellcat is sweet, almost too sweet, but with a certain sharpness that keeps it from crossing that line.

The buttercream and hazelnut are balanced by the rum and mead. The almond softens everything up.

It’s a boozy scent, to be sure, but I think it’s far more likely to prompt food cravings than suspicions of drunkenness.

There is absolutely *nothing* in the description of this scent that I dislike, so I have high high hopes. And I am utterly addicted to the ‘bite’ in sugar skull, so look forward to seeing what sort of ‘bite’ this cat has.

In the bottle: Sweet! Yum! Bite! Can it get better?

Wet: I actually smell the ‘bite’ before anything else. Is that the mead and rum? Perhaps it is. The rest is a lovely mix of sweet happiness without being straight sugar-sweet. I can do this, most definitely

Drying/5 minutes later: It’s definitely what I would call a warmer scent now. Less bite, more buttercream and rum and soft almond. Probably some hazelnut but I always find that hard to pick up. This mellows out VERY nicely. Ooooo.

Dry/30 minutes later: Hrm. I’m getting a very meady/rum sour bit here, like I’ve been out drinking all night. I’m sad! I miss the sweetness. Must do more testing to see if this keeps happening.

In Bottle: Pure buttercream.

On Skin: The buttercream is strong at first… but there is something spicy shining through. I thought it was cinnamon but they don’t have it listed. Maybe the mead and rum? I LOVE this scent. It is delicious and I want to eat my wrist. I love the honey, almond, and buttercream the most. :P This is one of my favorite scents.

Bottle (Imp): OOOOH! Buttery! I like it!

Just On: This is melted sugar, syrup, and perhaps cinnamon oil just before it hits the hard crack stage when it's boiling away. Can't really smell the butter anymore, but it still smells WONDERFUL. If this stays like this, it's going to jump up to the top five scents ever for me.

An hour or two later: Oooh, it's really really sweet smelling. No more cinnamony smell, just a very sweet beautiful scent.

Around 6 hours: This is still super sweet and pretty. I really like it

12 hours: All that's left is that last little bit of sweetness, which I still really like.

Overall: This just moved right up there next to Bliss, O, and Gluttony as scents that make me want to slurp my arm over and over. You just *know* it's gotta be good when I'm willing to move a cat to smell my arm some more (I'm the kind of person that will sit and not use the bathroom because a cat is cuddled on my lap).

After reading other reviews: I concur with several of the other reviewers, it's sweet, and wonderful. This heads up to the big bottle list. I could get SO hooked on this one, but luckily, I have the imp to last, and a few other scents that are as good.

When my father was alive, he would often drive me into town and take me to breakfast at this place called The Walnut Bowl. It was an oldstyle restaurant in our old little town. The structure itself was made out of all wood logs and planks, like a log cabin... and you could smell that sort of sugary wooden smell.

Then insert the smells of buttery pancakes and maple syrup... and you not only have what The Walnut Bowl smelled like, but also what Hellcat smells like on me. Pure old-fashioned pancake house. :D

I don't really want to smell like a pancake house... but I have used up several imps of this just because it reminds me of better times with my father. Thankyou BPAL... :P

Hellcat smells like a dessert that's more savory than sweet on me - there's very little if any sweetness to the scent. It's very nutty - almost like an amaretto cheesecake. It's also very rich, and just a wee bit boozy. If Hellcat had a coffee note, it'd be a total dessert scent without being stickysweet.

Very yummy.

Wet this is buttery, almond and cherry. When first applied this smells like sweet cherry. After a few minutes a spiciness and warmth develops along with hazelnut. This dries down a bit peppery. This one is okay but is just too sweet for me.

A wonderful, mouth-watering blend; creamy, honey-hazelnut goodness!! Yum, I want to lick my wrist every time I smell it. Gluttony and Eclipse fans will love this one. It's smooth and foody with out being overly sugary. You're gonna want fresh baked goods when you smell this! I already got my 5 ml. :P :D :D

Butter and rum is all I get at first. Warm, comforting. Seems to wear down quickly, though. Very nice throughout. This may be a regular on me.

In the vial it just smelled boozy. On my skin it developed into butter and sugar sweetness. Then it mellowed into a spice, butter, rum, chestnut scent. It reminds me a lot of these chestnut candles that I bought last christmas. It smells like a fall holiday scent. I probably won't be wearing it again until we get well into fall. Overall it's mmm warm, tasty and foody.

I got none of this. :P I got cinnamon and something vaguely, generically sweet. It's a dead ringer for a Yankee Candle I can't quite remember the name of. Home Sweet Home perhaps? Sigh. Maybe I just got an off-imp, but this particular one is off to the swap pile.