Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellcat

A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

:D
upon application ... buttery, fruity cream....omigoodness this is so good i want to gnaw my wrist off...just scrumpdiddleyicious
after awhile the hazelnut pops up mixed with some booziness...i am guessing the rum....this is a big bottle order for sure :P

In the imp: Butterscotch. But not butterscotch candies. Warm, melted, homemade butterscotch ice cream topping. The kind that is starting to thicken, but is still a bit syrupy and has an alcoholic kick to it even after simmering for a few hours. It is so yum...

Wet: The booziness of the scent is not nearly as strong on my skin as it was in the imp. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad one yet. At first contact, this is buttery and sweet, like buttercream frosting, with just the slight hint of a nut extract smell to it. It's a thinner scent on my skin than it was in the bottle.

Early dry down: As this has settled into my skin, the nuttiness has surged to the top while the sweetness has mellowed. It's still pleasant, but not as wrist-eating yummy as it was on the first application. I'm torn as to whether the nuttiness is a hazelnut smell or an almond one. When I first sniff, I get the thin, sweet, almost medicinal scent of almond extract. But when I hold the breath for a moment or two, it deepens into something richer and mellower. It's not quite the scent of hazelnut that I associate with hazelnut flavored coffee, but it's similar.

Late dry down: This scent has almost completely disappeared into my skin, leaving a faint burnt sugar smell. It's not an unpleasant odor, but I have to put my wrist right up to my nose and snuffle noisily in order to smell it. I don't think I'd wear this one frequently as it's just a bit too rich for me. But I'm going to keep the rest of the imp and experiment at making a catalytic lamp fragrance by adding it to isopropyl alcohol. I think it will smell absolutely divine this fall as a house scent.

No surprise here, my skin takes the honey in the honey mead and runs with it. That is definitely the dominant note in this blend, at least one me, and it sure is a nice one. The buttercream rounds it out beautifully, providing a lush, creamy base and mixing with either the rum or the hazelnuts to suggest something like coffee.

This is not particularly boozy, nor is it as foody as I was expecting, which is an odd thing to say considering it smells like honey, cream and coffee. I guess I was just imagining something almost cloying in it's decadence, whereas this is more subtle and refined and incredibly light. It's down to the skin in mere minutes.

Edited by maewitch

There is something in this that doesn't like me. Right out of the imp it's harsh with a hint of that unassuming spiciness that I get with certain notes (patchouli, I"m looking at you). On, this burns my skin and smells more harsh and acrid. I washed it off an hour ago and my wrist still burns. Sorry, Hellcat. My chemistry hates you. :P

Hellcat is Grog's drunk twin! :P Super boozy...it smells on my skin like rum does in the bottle and just keeps on going with lots of throw. Definately not wearing this one to work...I love the nuttiness: it smells raw, freshly hulled, and bitter. MMMM, spicy and naughty. The sweet cream comes out in the drydown. This is a winter party scent for me.

Sniffing the imp: Oh yes, yes, yes! This smell sort of like my beloved Hearth! All sweet and smoky! I can’t wait to get this one on!!

Wet on wrist: This is Hearth, but with a bit of rum, too!

Drier: This still smells like the cherry pipe smoke in Hearth, to me, and I couldn’t be more thrilled! I have been hoarding Hearth in case it never comes back, again. This isn’t the same, but a close second. :D

Dry: Sweet, smoky, foody love. I am so happy there is a Hellcat for a catalogue blend. For those who can’t find Hearth, this is as close as you may come! :P

The greatest thing about the BPAL scents for me, is there seems to be ones for each part of my persona. And Hellcat suits the tiger inside of me just fine! :D

Hellcat

In the Bottle: Dark rum with a touch of spice.

Wet: Very strong rum note, more spice emerges. Sadly, I don't detect any almond (which is what I was really looking forward to.)

Drydown: The rum is transparent and it smells mostly of cinnamon. It almost reminds me of some kind of candle. I get a little bit of honey also, though I really have to try hard to find it. No nuts, unfortunately. I still like the scent though it is not what I was expecting.

Edited by star811

This is all honey mead on me. I thought I was really going to enjoy it, but apparently my chemistry decided against me. Not sure I can pick out any more notes than that, but it is a warm sweet smell that just swells with a meady undertone that eventually becomes nauseating on me. To my nose, it is quite different than hearth and doesn't share the same tones. That one didn't work on me either. :P Alas. Swaps.

Edited by Avery

First sniff from the imp:

Whoa. Almonds and alcohol. The scent was so strong that I found myself moving my head away from the Imp, immediately. I recapped it and then thought that I would still give it a go on my skin.

Wet on skin:

A mead smell pops up really quick whilst wet on my skin. I didn't like the aroma. It lacked the sweetness of the buttercream I was hoping for. Very sharp mead overtones with a very slight, honeylike fragrance that wafts through every once in awhile. The hazelnut and the almond aroma are very strong on my skin...

Dry down:

The fragrance mellows a bit, thankfully. It is slightly sweeter on my skin now... but not in the way that I hoped for. As a body fragrance this does not work for me. :P

In Closing:

I might try this scent in my room burner... or it might just show up in my swap offers.

This was very strong in the imp. A kind of scary strong.

On my skin, it's all sweet and nutty with a bit of creaminess. Unfortunately, I think I smell more like a candle than anything else. It's a little too intense for me to wear as a perfume (often). It would probably be great as a room scent, though.

This smells... like celery to me? I think I'm losing my mind.

Definitely like sweet celery!

i think it's the rumminess. Now it smells a lot like fruitcake. This is awfully foody. I like the sweetness, and the fact that this smells very unique when compared to the other bpals I've tried... buuut it's very close to a maple walnut smell, and does remind me a bit much of room scents.

Nice, but a little too reminiscent of a decadent holiday dessert for me.

I was excited to get ahold of an imp of Hellcat, I love sweet/foody/boozy, and had high hopes. Alas, my hopes were dashed when I realized that Hellcat smells exactly like rancid peanut butter on my skin. Bummer. :P Apparently hazelnut and I do not agree.

Wow, you sure don't need a lot of this one.

In the bottle: Almost overwhelming; sweet and buttery and with strong hazelnut liquer scent. It's not exactly boozy, per se, but it's heavier than a simple hazelnut syrup.

Wet: It becomes a little rounder and nuttier on, and it's not quite as overwhelming. Otherwise, the wet stage is very true to the bottle.

Drydown: The drydown on this is really lovely; sweet, creamy, not overwhelming. It's surprisingly warm, actually; I think of this as a winter scent, curling up by the fire with something hot and comforting. I think the imp will last a long time, however, since as I said, it's very very strong.

yet another one that verged on giving me a headache. in the bottle, it smelled creamy and honey, but a lot of almond. not as much faux almond as hecate (gag me!) but a sweeter, calmer almond. but there was something weird about it that i just couldn't bring myself to put it on.

my mom adores it, though, and its awesome and hazelnut on her, with just a touch of buttercream. it's really sweet and almost boozy, a great scent on her. i don't think i'd get another one, it was just too close to the headachey-ness of hecate and imp, and even white rabbit, although the scents are totally different. a shame, because i really thought i'd like this.

Hellcat smells like pancakes in the imp ear vial. I really want a trip to an IHOP or to the Breakfast Club downtown now.

For fun, I swab a bit of Hellcat on my foot. I've never tested oil on my foot before (no worries, it's clean), and the reason why I did this was because of the almond note in the description.

On my skin... yep, almonds, one of my bitter nemeses regarding fragrance notes. Ah almonds, how I detest thy ability to completely overrun a fragrance with your unwanted advances.

Syrupy, buttery, foody, almondy. If those descriptions tickle your pickle, grab an imp of Hellcat in your next order. They don't quite pique my interest, in fact I detest buttery fragrances as well, and so this imp shall be on its way out my door.

You know, it does smell like some candle from Yankee Candle Company, or some other candle shop.

-doreen

In the imp, I thought this smelled nasty sweet and didn't even want to try it. The first time I put some on, I sniffed my wrist and said "UGH" and washed it off.

Later that evening, I decided to try it again. When I first apply Hellcat, the almond in the blend blows up instantly. After about 5 minutes, it calms down and it's a hazelnutty-buttery smell. After an hour or so, it's kind of nutty-boozy-spicy. It also really has lasting power on my body.

I'm buying a bottle. I am so shocked that this fragrance works -- it is on the other end of the spectrum from what I normally wear (Urd, Anne Bonny, Blood Lotus, all those head shop smells). We love those unexpected surprises!

valentina

In the Imp: An overpowering hit of sweet buttery almond that almost put me off trying it at all. Too much sugar! But knowing how rich and lovely other almond scents had turned on my skin, I braved the wand and gave it a dab.

Wet: Completely different from the imp – All honey mead and rum. No almond or sickly-sweet sugar. Just rich, warm, intoxicatingly velvet smells that make you want to twirl around and laugh. I love it! I also want to open up a bottle of mead right now. . . .

Dry-down: oh, this gets deep and mysterious. The honey of the mead steps back a bit and a spiciness that must be the hazelnut start to come through to play in the mix.

Dry: Definitely has holding power, which I love. The day has lasted with a soft, warm buttered-mead, just a hint of spiced rum and now a deeper, richer tone to the almond peeking though -- that mellow, not sweet, note that I like to the almond. Hellcat is fall evenings in front of a fire, a seduction, laughter with friends and pure temptation in a bottle. Oh yes, a bigger bottle indeed!

at first: this was a freebie with my order. sweet, but not heavy. very nice.

on: sweet. very heavy. i can get the honey mead from this, but the almond predominates.

1.5 hours later: still sweet. i can't really pick a particular note out, though.

2.5 hours later: a warm, sweet scent.

overall: this is nice, but not outstanding.

Hrm, I was kind of hoping for almond, hazelnut, and butter cream.

It wound up smelling like a stale cocktail consisting of amaretto and frangelico....a really stale cocktail. I think its the mead. I'd like it as a room scent in an oil burner, but my body seems to amplify all boozy notes

Hellcat is UBER sexy on me...

Apparently my man like foody scents on me! This scent smell like sex, smoothered in buttercream frosting!

*yummy*

Imp: mostly almond with a buttery honey in the background. This really reminds me of gluttony in the imp. :P

Wet: More buttery and nutty on my skin than in the imp. It is not purely foody, like I expected, though. There is a tinge of something more “perfumey” (maybe the rum?) which takes it out of the cake-icing-realm I was afraid of.

Drying: Wow, this is really NOT foody like I expected. There is a potpourri element to it—sharp and dry. Almost a sharp citrusy tang like the dried orange bits. Even a bit spicy. I expected this to smell all creamy and sweet. It’s a nice surprise.

This does have a similar note to eden in it, I think--must be the honey/almond combo.

20 min: Whoa, honey mead mania. Reminds me of renfest. It’s a spicy honey wine, though. Maybe the rum is bay rum? I still get the buttery note in the back, but it is VERY slight. This is more like Delphi than Gluttony—I was expecting a gluttony twin.

2 hrs: Buttery. Still has that spiciness to it ( I really don’t know what this is from). There are some definite similarities to Eden in this (at least on my skin). I guess sweet almond, buttercream and honey mead smell a lot like the honeyed almond milk in Eden.

Overall: This was a great surprise. It wasn't gluttony sweet, and it didn't go quite as buttery on me as eden. WIth the added spicy and zingy notes, this was a real winner. I have passed this imp along to a very bpal-needy friend (you know who you are), but I will get another imp of it someday, just to get to know hellcat a little better...

edited to add: I had to compare this directly to Eden--

Hellcat vs eden: eden a more "savory" foody smell--buttery. Hellcat is similar, but less buttery, with a touch of spicy "potpurri" smell, a bit less foody, but quixotically sweeter than eden, kinda like a brown sugar hint.

Edited by jewelbug

My first initial reaction upon smelling this in the imp was "run away! run away!" It was sharp, with a serious alcoholic bite to it. Upon application and drydown, it turned softer, much softer and the sweetness of the mixture came to the surface. It still has a bit too much of the rum smell for me, though. About the only alcohol type of notes that do well on my skin are the winey ones. This was interesting and fun to try, but it will become a gift or swap to somebody.

This was much too sweet for me. In the vial all I got was butterscotch and a lot of it. I actually felt a little nauseous. When I wore it was not as intense but still butterscotch.

In the imp: Almond and honey. Quite sweet.

Wet: Lots of almond and honey, with something I'm guessing is rum in the background. Interesting.

Dry: Pretty much exactly like most people are describing it. Almonds, honey, a wee bit of butter, and rum.

Not exactly my cup of tea, but nice. If you like sweet scents, try this one.

Wet, Hellcat smelled strongly of rum - like the rum extract used in baking, heavy on the alcohol. That faded quickly, and as it dried Hellcat bloomed into a heady lush figgy sexy scent. It was quite strong, and I'm not sure I'm ready for something that heady, but it definitely surprised me and could be devestating on the right person!