Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellcat

A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

I have to admit, there's something in this blend that's biting the bejeebus out of my inner elbows and nibbling behind my ears. shortly after application this morning, the skin on my inner elbows flamed up red. The irritation went away rather quickly (I got the same reaction from MonsterBait: Underbed and from another cinnamony blend...)

Once it dried, I could have sworn there was cloves, cloves and more cloves... it smelled like the pumkpin pie spices we use around thanksgiving. And then it mellowed... ohhh geez it mellowed... I'm definitely getting the boozy tone of this..

Keeper, definitely a keeper. A nice rebound after the Heartbreak that was O. :P

In the bottle - Burnt sugar and wood.

Wet on skin - Still burnt sugar and wood. I'm having a very woody day apperently.

Dry on skin - where did it go? Is it coming back? Sweet burnt sugar is still almost there ...

Later - Autumn leaves. This smells like hedgerows in Autumn. Is that the hazlenut? Sweet buttercream is peeking out underneath now. I was not expecting anything like this from the description but I likes it I does.

Hellcat smells nice in the vial, like the scent of a sweet Werther's butterscotch right before you pop it into your mouth. The moment it touched my skin, however, it turned into the most rancid-smelling and vile foody blend I think I've ever experienced. Now, as you read this, keep in mind that bakery-type foody scents and I don't mix well. But this is worse than most. In this case, it's not just a matter of disliking it, it's a matter of it really turning on my skin. However, for those who like the foody scents, this has got some really kick-ass throw, and the staying power is really incredible.

sniffed from the imp: incredibly strong cherry/almond, so strong it drowns out everything else.

skinsniff, wet: cherryalmond

skinsniff, dry: smells like walking into a scented candle shoppe... everything all mixed together. no more cherryalmond, but overall ... meh.

off to swaps

Definitely one of the sweeter BPALs I've sniffed. It's rich, slightly buttery, and I definitely smell the honey also, along with something nutty. I do like it, but I'm not sure I need a bottle. I'll have to test it out again, and will edit if my opinion changes.

I got this one for the honey mead, and...well, I smell like honey mead! This is a potent scent. Wow. It does something deep inside my body when I inhale...almost the same feeling I get when I put Red Lantern on and the smell kind of makes my head spin a little because it really has that woozy scent. This one is a more sugary version of that wooziness. It has warmed up a bit since I put it on...making it very incensey on my skin. Initially, it was ALL honey. Thick, gloppy, dizzying amounts of honey and booze. Now I have a touch of honey and a lot of resiny-sweet spice.

I like it. I don't like it enough to get a 5ml (I doubt I'd use it all....this one has throw on me), but I will definitely be using it for evening occasions.

Hellcat is among many things, a very interesting scent.

The first time I tried it, it was from one of my friends 5 ml of it, and it went all yummy bakery-cookie smelling, in a good way, on me.

Then I got an imp of it. From the imp, I get why they give in the description that it has a wicked bite, it went warm and spicy smelling on me, with a definite bite.

Also, form all the scents i've tried before, I had BPAL products with about a skin life of 4 hours before the scent fades completly. 8 hours after putting on Hellcat, even though it wasn't as strong, I could still smell it on myself.

Yum! This is creamy, nutty rum, from start to finish. There's also a drier note, too -- something slightly resinous, with tons of throw. Might be the mead. Anyway, this blend isn't nearly as sticky-sweet as I feared it might be; it works really well on me.

Wet on skin: RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!! (please note: those making Pirates jokes will be dealt with harshly). Really, that's all I can smell.

5 minutes: Hazlenut peeking its head out and getting quickly banished by RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!! (imagine that being said in a Spanish soccer announcer's voice and you've got it about right).

10 minutes: So. Much. Rum. I smell hazelnut and a faint whiff of honey, but they are not long for this world. So sayeth RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!

2 hours +: I washed Hellcat off after an hour - the boozy smell was just too overwhelming.

Final verdict? Much love for the pirates, but I'm hatin' on this rum note. No sale.

My notes from the sniff party were simply "Mead and almond" followed by "Figgy." Comparing that to the Lab description, I had to guess that this was the point when the wine started to go to my head.

Trying it again, I was expecting almond followed by honey and maybe some boozy notes.

In the imp it smelled very sweet, a little bit nutty but not the big punch I usually get from almond. Did I grab the wrong imp? *re-check label* Nope, Hellcat.

Wet it was very, very, very brightly sweet - almost a fruity note to it. Okay, I am really thinking I grabbed the wrong imp. *re-check label* Nope, still Hellcat.

Dry, I got wisps of amaretto. Very delicate. No really strong individual honey or almond note. A friend described it as "....and I don't mean this the wrong way because you smell very nice, but it kind of smells like potpourri."

The more I sniffed it, the more I had to concede that he had a really good bead on the scent. Honey tends to overwhelm all other notes on me, and this honey was soooooooo bright it was almost like fruit and sunshine.

After a few hours it faded down to the normal honey note. *sigh*

Keeping the imp? Nah.

Bottle: No, thank you.

Edited by Ghost Light

Hazelnut and buttercream, swimming in rum. The honey is subtle, and I'm not getting much of the almond at all (which is good, because almond tends to smell like butt on me). Very rich, very foody, and I love it!

In the bottle: Syrup and spiced buttered rum.

Wet: Fruity like a ripe fig, boozey OMG boooozey! Almonds in sweet milk.

Dry: Mmmm. Vanilla and rum, butter and incense.

Hours later sweet and musky, a little vanilla sugar. It's rich and intense and I love it with a passion! :P

“A bite” is absolutely right. The alcohol scent was startlingly sharp on the wand, as was the almond.

On my wrist, the almond is strong, and the honey is starting to blossom out. I was afraid that this would be another scent (like White Rabbit) where the honey would go evil, but it seems to have decided against it. The rum appears, blending with the honey scent as the almond starts backing down.

This scent lasts well on me, and the honey hasn’t gone evil. The honey, almond, and rum remain most prominent, in that order. It stays strong, and has good throw. The one thing I find myself wishing is that it had a bit more subtlety or complexity. Up close, it’s just a bit too much; the throw is beautiful, but a direct sniff remains dizzying even after a few hours have passed.

I spilled hazelnut baristella syrup on myself last night at work and immediately thought of Hellcat. Only Hellcat made me feel stickier. Foodiest BPAL fragrance I've tried that doesn't have a food/candy related title.

In the vial, Hellcat smells like icing mixed with booze. Wet on me, Hellcat makes me feel I'm a rum-soaked sweetcake coated with slice almonds and meant to be enjoyed after a decadent dinner. This is very adult, very darkened parlor, very velvet-bathrobe-slit-to-thigh. This is sensual and vaguely sinister; it reads smug, still sexually active older couple, smiling knowingly at the innocence of the world and plotting for their own betterment. This is a good scent to wear when you want to seem disreputable yet eerily seductive; it's a great scent for manipulation.

In the Bottle: I can smell the buttercream and a spike of almond. It's got a bite to it.

Wet on skin: Very much the rum, all of a sudden. The rum certainly isn't gone, here, savvy?

Drydown: Spicy, a tad candleish, but I smell like pecan pie. I like it!

I hope this softens up a bit while I'm in class or they're going to think I'm a wino. :P

It's delicious!

In the imp this was so sweet and delicious smelling. Buttercream, and lots of it.

On me, I was suprised at the change. Rum rum, and more rum. A little bit of honey mead, and some other notes blending in way in the background. Definietly spicy rum. Calms down after about 10 minutes, still that rum smell though.

It's a good thing I like rum. :P

First off, let me mention that my imp of Hellcat had a sheared top when I received it, and in the effort to get the cap out so that I could put a new one in, a good half the imp got spilled, so I smeared it on in preparation for an evening out.

In the imp: it's very faint, but I think it's spicy rum under lots of almond.

Wet: Sugar and spice with a hint of everything nice for kicks. Then, attack of the killer cloves, CatMan. I guess that must be the rum.

Dry: I think that's hazelnut and buttercream. I can definately smell the mead/rum/booze in there somewhere, too. It's still really spicy, though. I agree with the pie spice comment from above.

This is interesting, but I think I like it. Maybe it's because the top was sheared and it leaked everywhere, but this just doesn't seem to be a coherent fragrance on me. I may have to try getting another imp to double check.

In the bottle:Whoa,honey mead!A hint of floral too?Strange.

Wet:Pretty much identical to the smell in the bottle,just alittle creamier.

Dry:It smells like a candle shop.A mish mash of wax and florals with a hint of creamy undertones.

Not what I expected at all.I'm not really impressed.Smells like something I could have bought at a dollar store!

In the bottle: cherry and almond booze

On me: really, really strong cherry and almond booze

I wanted to like this one, but the scent it entirely too overpowering and gives me a headache, plus the boozy element has a tendency to make me slightly nauseous. Definitely off to the swaps pile.

Wet: mm, ok I must admit that I work as a bartender to help support myself through college and dang if this isn’t reminding me of a buttery nipple shot (bailey’s and butterscotch liquor) and therefore also reminding me of these old butterscotch candies as well since that’s what the shot tastes like to me. The candy came in yellow cellophane individual wrappers and I don’t think I remember every knowing what the name of them were but boy do I remember the wonderful taste of them. Yum!

Initial drydown: interesting. I’m getting a hint of something peppery coming through the sweetness so that it smells still like the candy/shot but with something else in there swimming around to give you an impish surprise. Hmm, I’m really wondering what this is going to finish smelling like…

Hour later: still very boozy sweet with a hint of something that curls around in it like incense smoke.

Verdict: yummy but a bit too boozy/foody for my tastes. Makes me very, um, well, lickable to tell the truth. :P Fun but definitely not an everyday scent. Oh boy.

Rating: 3.5/5

Throw: low. It sticks close to the skin but by just waving my arm near my face I can smell it like wonderful rum-laced honey mead with that undercurrent of hazelnut-cream/butterscotch.

Edited by Lunaratu

So boozy, it made me a little dizzy smelling it until I adjusted. This is what I'd wear if I were on the prowl at a bar, figuring that out of all the men who got dizzy from being near me, at least one would misattribute it to me instead of the scent, and then I'd bag him! (So, I don't actually go looking for one-night-stands. But if I did, this would be perfect. And I bet it would work.)

Heady, rich almonds, buttery goodness, and hardcore liquor. Yum, yum, yum. :P

Edited by Ahania

I like how warm this one smells. It's very comforting and foodie. (A big plus for me)

But I think the it's the almonds that give it a really dark sweetness. It reminds me of syrup somehow. I didn't get any of the boozyness, I don't know if it's because I didn't sniff it close while it was wet or I've just gotten an aged bottle.

Not something I want to wear every day, but quite nice.

Edited by Tempest Teapot

Honestly, when I first took a whiff of Hellcat I thought it smelt of burnt cat and/or hair. I was surprised by this one because it was so repellant. The other oils that I have are great and this one simply put me off.

Now that I think of it, I think the burnt note is probably from the rum and nuts. I found once I put it on I didn't smell like I rubbed myself with a dead animal. The sweet honey mead and rich smell of buttercream really came out once it warmed on my skin. The sweet almond developed more as the hours ticked by and Hellcat turned into a nice scent.

This is not my favorite and I don't think it works well with my other products or chemistry.

in the imp – a hit of almost overpowering sweet buttery almond that almost puts me off trying it, but knowing how rich and different other almond scents have turned on me, i brave the sugar note and give it a dab.

wet – yup, completely different from in the vial. it is instantly all honey mead and rum! no almond or sicky-sweet sugar. just warm, rich, intoxicatingly velvet. . . maybe i can eat my arm. . . whoa! :P this is amazing stuff. i love it – mead is one of my favorite food smells, and i can’t believe i’m liking this on my skin.

dry-down – oh, this gets deep and mysterious now. the honey of the mead fades a bit and a spicy bite that must be the hazelnut starts to come through. wow. wowowowowow. . . oh man, i need to ravish someone NOW. . . . :D

verdict – Hellcat has a holding power on me that i love. a soft. war, buttered mead with a glace o spiced rum, and hours later, a deeper richer tone with the almond finally peeping through – that mellow, not sweet note that i life – has drifted in. this is for evening in front of a fire, a seduction, laughter with friends and pure temptation in a bottle. oh yes!