Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Spooky

A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It’s a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminicent of rum-laced holiday cookies.

Peppermint sweet, like home-made peppermint candies, smell from the vial! Well, on my skin this kind of reminds me of childhood and Christmas - sort of like home-made French chocolate candies, with peppermint essence, that were rolled in coconut! ...but there's something stale in the sweet mix, like stale biscuits. After a couple of hours this settles down and the bad note of staleness goes away, and it becomes something much more akin to Malibu, with a hint of freshness from the peppermint!! Despite the stale note when it first goes on my skin, I quite like it. Edited by Shollin

In the vial: wow, foody. I didn't read the reviews before I bought this decant, so I was expecting something quite different.

Wet: this blend must have the same peppermint note as Lick It! I have a cool spot where I applied it.

Dry: I smell like a bowl of Halloween candy! Almond Joy, Peppermint Patties, yum!

In the Bottle: Wow, mint! With something else, vaguely rummy. A hint of chocolate.

Wet: Mint and chocolate! Yum! Sniff, sniff, sniff.

Dry: This has calmed down to an amazing smell, chocolately mint, with complexity behind it.

ETA: Hmm. While it was great when I tested it, I find that I'm not thrilled with smelling like a peppermint patty all day. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this....

ETA2: Definitely not a keeper. Bummer.

Edited by Melantha

Spooky is a all about winter vacation in the Caribbean. It's full of tropical and beach notes. On me, I get a lovely blend of coconut, rum, light mint, and just the faintest hint of cocoa. The coconut (brightened up by the light mint) is the predominant note on me, although the rum and cocoa flow smoothly beneath the surface, occasionally popping up to say "hi" to my nose. The "light mint" is the one note that doesn't appeal to me, but otherwise, this is a fun scent. This fragrance has a moderate level of throw and lasts about 4 hours on me.

I wanted to love this! I was so excited when I got it! I was like Veruca Salt at Wonka's Chocolate Factory after she ate the gum. You know the part where she was screaming out the flavors!

I was doing the same thing only it something like this:

Vanilla!

Mint!

Booze!

PLASTIC!!! FEK!!!!!!

I ran screaming to wash it off.

I feel bad everytime I don't write a glowing review about an oil.

Beth: I love you, but this one is just not for me. :P

Bottle: this smells like what having a butterscotch disc and a peppermint in my mouth at the same time must taste - complete with that jolt of cold if I suck in air through my mouth really fast.

Wet: the butterscotch has turned more into butter rum - it makes me really want some. :P

Dry: I can't decide if this smells like a hot toddy with a shot of peppermint schnapps, or the schnapps with a shot of buttershot. Biz-zarre.

Later: This is boozy and foody without being, er, overly either. It's really odd, and odder still that I can wear it without destroying it. I have no idea what to make of this one, but after today at work and this review I really need a drink. :D

In the Bottle: Coconut mint, with a touch of cocoa. Almost like a Peppermint Patty!

On Application: It smells like I have a Peppermint Patty on my wrist! It's clearing out my sinuses, that's for sure. A few minutes later, I smell a bit of booze. Almost like bourbon-spiked peppermint cocoa.

On Drydown: This has morphed into a chemically minty scent. It's cold on the sinuses.

Comments: Eh, there's not much else to this than the chemically minty smell on me.

Verdict: Swap.

Oh, gorgeous. Peppermint and a hint of chocolate, coconut and chilly vanilla chasing it down. After a minute, the warmth of the rum kicks in, but it's quite faint. This is delicious, holiday cookies and snow and laughter. The peppermint is dominant on me, but the rest is happy chaos in the background. I'm going to hoard my imp, I think.

Spooky

Thanks, Gwallahay, for the chance to sample this!

In the bottle: creamy, almost milky, peppermint.

On me: At first I get a hint of cold fresh winter air and then it is creamy, peppermint candy cane all the way! I will want to try this again because it is intriguing. It smells good, even though I don't like candy canes or any of that red and white striped candy. I am not sure I want to wear it though. However, the scent lingered and kept me interested for hours. I will edit with any new developments on this scent. :P

I only have a sniffie so I wasn't able to put any on, but just from sniffing I have to say it smells wonderful. Peppermint patty and christmas are what come to mind. Must find an imp somewhere :P

This is definately one of my favorites. The effort to land a bottle of this was totally worth it for me and anyone else who enjoys foody scents. On me when wet, it's pepermint and coconut. Pepermint fades on me pretty quick and coconut is the dominant note. It's just yummy and warm and tasty, without being too overpowering.

Yet somehow, I can picture Beth making this one with her labbies behind her, singing and swaying...

"You put the rum in the coconut and swirl it all together! Mix it up with the pepermint, and then you have Spoo-keee!"

Ok in the vial its all chocolate to me with a hint of something else, that I can't put my finger on, possibly the coconut.

On the skin and on drydown: THIN MINT COOKIES dipped in rum and coconut. . This is amazing and stays amazing on me!!!

This is mostly coconut and mint at first. On my skin some of the other notes (maybe the vanilla? the cocoa?) work with the coconut to bring out an unfortunate melting plastic smell. And the coconut is so strong on me that it ends up smelling like mint-tinged suntan oil. If I don't smell it up close, there is a very pleasant waft of sweet minty coconut. But if I bring my wrist up close to my nose.....melting plastic. : ( As it dries it does mellow out and I start to smell the other notes in the background, like the cocoa and vanilla. Not sure I really ever smelled the rum.

I'll try it once more but I'm pretty sure it's just not for me. That's okay though, because I got to smell it and now there is one less LE bottle for me to seek out. : ) Hopefully my pending bottle of Creepy works out a lot better!

In the imp, I smell peppermint and gummy erasers. Gah, foody notes are so weird. It smells the same on my skin. WTF. I hate foody things. Hatehatehate.

In the vial: HA! Oh my god that's utterly ridiculous! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!

On the skin: Oh yeah, every kind of rum imaginable. Like Willy Wonka made a BPAL. Having tried this after I tried Creepy, I get it now. It smells quite delicious. I bet the combo of the two would blow your mind though. I've just barely picked up the peppermint and it reminds me of the Girl Scouts' Thin Mint cookies. Yum!

Pity I'll never get a bottle of this. :P

Spooky...how long have I had thee???

Pretty long time..at least 6+ months..I scoured the boards and Ebay...finally..I got lucky.

Being a coconut fanatic..I had to try this..absolutely had to...the idea of coconut and mint was just too good to pass up..so I set my sights on acquiring a bottle. So..it's been in my cold drawer..waiting for the time...to show itself to me.

Here is how I want to sort of start it off:

SO...Sunday...this past Sunday..I am standing in front of Tavern on the Green..it's 9am..windy..a bit chilly..and yes..I am there to try and run 5 miles in the Poland Marathon Kickoff Race. I put Spooky on...and proceeded to inch along the course.

I was slow. I was laboring. I am not in good shape. I haven't run consistently in MONTHS. I am running..if you want to call it that..when I ovehear two runners:

Runner#1-Hey...do you smell that???

Runner#2-Huh???

Runner#1-I swear..I smell coconut...you smell it???

Runner#2-Oh...yeah..yeah I do..but it's not like suntan lotion or anything...

Runnner#1-No you're right..someone must be wearing it..and it smells really good..

:P

So yep..although I was slow as a snail..even in the throng of people running a race..my BPAL managed to make some people stop and wonder what the heck was so nice smelling..am glad I was able to provide for them a nice olefactory experience...hehehehehehehehehe

ANYWAY...onto the official review:

Inital sniff from bottle:Mint...a bit of cocoa...a tinge of coconut. It smells sweet..but since the mint is in the forefront..I don't get overbearingly sweet..because that would be just too much for me to handle. I think I also get a twinge of rum..but I can't be sure.

Applied wet on skin:Peppermint...and then it's like York Peppermint Patty...which is okay..and then I get some wonderful coconut..and then..then..a stale note. In fact..it's the dreaded plastic note..and it's the first time I am getting it FULL FORCE..this can't be good...please..go away???

I want to like Spooky..but this note is making me feel weird. Am waiting it out to see if it settles down or something..

Couple of minutes on skin:This is really just reminding me of the peppermint patty..or maybe like other reviewers described..the thin mint. Meh..I was hoping for more coconut and mit and less chocolate..so I am holding out. There is still that odd stale/plastic note hanging on..which really bums me out..it prevents me from loving this blend...I am kind of just tolerating it. :D

It's funny...if I wave my wrist in front of me or whiff deeply..I get more cocoa and mint and stale/plastic note..however what wafts around me is more coconut..the sweetened kind...with a touch of the cooca..and this I like very much..but it's only when I don't whiff straight from my skin...darn.

Drying:The weird note finally settled down..but it's all still soft mint with the cocoa moving into the background. I can't say I really smelled the rum..but maybe it was part of the weird note that was making me feel uneasy??? I just do not know.

This definitely reminds me of peppermint candy canes...soft mint..

Drydown:Soft note of the mint...some sweetness..from what I have no idea..maybe the coconut..but I can't smell it at all from my skin..

Lasting power was impressive..really impressive...8+hours..and throw was definitely soft to medium.

Bottom Line Spooky is definitely a sesonal scent..if not for Halloween but also a good foody scent for winter as well. It had a bit more chocolate then I care for in a fragrance and that stale/plastic note was a bit concerning but all in all I did get some nice compliments. I love this oil during it's wet phase..but that can't be enough for me to keep it for my personal rotoation. I am thrilled I got the chance to try-my sis smelled it on me and liked it..I will give her the bottle and see how she does with it-otherwise it's off to the sale pile.

Spooky-

In Bottle: Chocolate, mint, and coconut! Couldn't be lovelier.

Wet: The chocolate and mint are there, and then the peppermint starts to dominate. And there's a little coconut here too.

Dry: This morphs down to something mildly chocolate mint, in a sort of airy way. I think that's the coconut. Wish it stayed more intense on me!

Overall: I like but condtional; I think I'm going to try it in scent lockets.

This is a completely crazy scent – butter rum coconut peppermint cookies! Tasty, tasty, tasty-smelling; festive holiday fun.

Minty! This is super-minty on, warm and smooth, like those little butter mints they serve at weddings. One of those tasty smells that just begs you to take a nibble here, a nibble there. It settles down to a really neat scent that is equal parts rum and coconut with just a dusting of cocoa; the mint is almost all gone.

I like this. It's cheerful, playful, frisky, and fun, and it evokes lots of nice holiday memories. Mmm! Cookies!

Spoooooooooky!

I purchased a half-bottle of this from The Great Pru, Provider of Spooky, and I treasure it. It's very strange because I normally hate chocolate and mint together. I scoff at green ice cream with black bits in it; I never order Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies; I don't brush my teeth and then drink hot chocolate, so why the hell do I like Spooky??

But it's so awesome - nice rummy buttery chocolate-y minty decadence on my wrists. It has decent throw and fades rather gracefully into a thin chocolate vapour. This is my comfort scent; I usually reach for Spooky when I'm having a really bad day, and it almost never fails to make me smile. Because...you know...it's Spooooooky, and there are very few things that cannot be cured by the Vaunted Spooktacular One.

SPOOOOOOOOOKY! :P

Thanks to Sidonie for the decant.

Vial: This reminds me of peppermint extract, as I get the mint and the alcoholic bite behind it on first sniff.

Skin: That rum is really fighting to come through. But as others have noted, the coconut has a tendency to give off a strange plastic note.

Drydown: Everything gets sweeter upon wear, although I never truly get the cocoa, and only a fleeting sense of the vanilla. Eventually it ends up pretty much all coconut, but not the creamy kind. It's probably my chemistry that is doing that, so I'm going to try it in a scent locket sometime.

Spooky loves me, and I love Spooky :P I was a wee bit leery of the rum note in this perfume, because rum and I have a shakey relationship at best. However, I do not get the sour note that rum tends to wreck havoc on me. In fact, I do not smell rum on me at all. :D This starts out chocolate butter mint, warms to coconut, cocoa vanilla, and turns to a smoldering vanilla w/ dustings of cocoa, and toasted coconut. :D I LOVE it! A bpal rare that warrents the fuss. Off to find me another bottle....

Edited by growwild

In the bottle,Spooky is minty Midway!I got really excited but...

On my skin,it smells like chewing plasticy spearmint gum while walking through a very sanitary hospital.Bleh!

Hmm. Hot buttered coconut rum meets Thin Mint cookies. It's an interesting combination, but I'm not quite sure it's one I like. After a while it dries down into coconut mint with a hint of chocolate. If I get close to my wrist, the scent is strongly plastic. I'm glad I got to try this scent, but it's going to be very easy for me to pass on getting more.