Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Spooky

A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It’s a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminiscent of rum-laced holiday cookies.

Bottle-> Coconut and peppermint. Astringent and chilly.

Wet-> Suntan lotion...still a smidge of peppermint though. Maybe the suntan lotion scent will fade as it dries.

After a while-> Antiseptic coconut lotion...*sniffle*

In the bottle - Very sweet and minty, but it's a boozey mint, like Schnapps.

Wet - Oh no, butter.

Drying - Wow, this turned into pure rancid on me. Which, yes, is just my skin. The sugar went plastic (as per usual) and the butter went rancid (as per usual). So now I have a combination of those two and the wonderful, wonderful boozed mint on me! :cry:

Dry (1 hour) - Just as I thought, the mint got eaten by my skin, so I'm left with unhappy plastic.

Overall - I know this is lovely, I know that people adore it, I just know that it was the absolute WRONG combo of scents for my skin. If only I could smell like the bottle... :cry:

Sniffing the imp, it's Girl Scout Thin Mints. Goes a little plasticky on my skin while wet, but then as it dries, it's reminiscent of Mint Chocolate Liqueur.

In the imp: Interesting! Buttery rum, coconut, mint and chocolate. I think I can detect some coffee, but I'm rather glad it's faint, because I have the tendency to amp coffee like mad.

Wet: Uh. Hm. Not entirely sure what to make of this. Coconut, rum and mint. The rum keeps sort of... well, I suppose the only way to describe it is it keeps punching me in the nose. Not all that pleasant a sensation. A little disappointed there's so little chocolate and coffee.

Dry: Bah, I smell like an alcoholic slathered in suntan lotion, smoking menthol cigarettes. Not for me.

Apparently my review of Spooky was eaten because I don't see it anywhere, and since I know people will be wanting more reviews now that it's been resurrected, I will repost. I'm a big lover of BPAL's rum note, love vanilla, like the coconut, am indifferent to cocoa and am wary of peppermint, so I was happy that I got to try someone else's Spooky, just in case it was a fail. But it's really delish. The peppermint starts out strong, alongside a whisper of rum and a breath of cocoa, but dies off pretty quickly, leaving me with oh-so-yummy rum and now-present coconut and vanilla. If you're a lover of the rum note, this is really yummy one to add to your collection.

I'm not sure when mine is from but it's one of the older ones since it is in the cobalt bottle.

In the bottle: MINT! with the slightest hint of cocoa powder

Wet: MINT! with a hint of sweetness behind it, maybe a touch of vanilla

Dry: Still very much Mint for me. It last wells and to me this is a more pure mint than Tokyo Stomp or Snowblind, and has a creaminess the other two didn't quite have. I really like it, but for me it's very very strongly mint.

Bottle: Mint, Rum, Coconut, and vanilla extract...basically the kind of drink I would mix at a party at three a.m.

Wet: Liquored up Thin Mints and coconut shavings when you get up real close. The waft lacks that creaminess.

Drydown: This is why I love BPAL perfumes. I smell like a thin mint dipped in Malibu Rum and it is awesome.

Overall: It's a quirky scent, but it's really enjoyable on my skin :) This is just such bizzaro, fun combination of notes that I'm gonna hang on to it, even if it's not going to be a heavy rotation staple!

Long Term: I thought this was going to be one of those "pet scents" that never get worn but I like too much to get rid of. I was so wrong. I wear this quite a lot, and it was nearly an every day thing over the holiday season. It's fun, pleasant, and gives me lols

Edited by CynicalPink

In bottle: Rum and peppermint dominant, alas, alas. Wet: So much peppermint, I can barely smell even the rum. The coconut, vanilla, and cocoa are discernible as it warms, but this is heartbreakingly minty. Dry: Still too much peppermint, though the rum and vanilla made inroads. What with the rash, I’m washing it off.

This is for Spooky Res (09).

This smelt like chocolate mint in the bottle. I'm not really a fan of that combination, but since this was a Res blend, I thought that I would try it. Big mistake!

On me, it was boozy chocolate mint that was so loud and strong that I smelt of some kind of chocolate mint rum drink. (Apparently, I amp alcohol notes.) I had to wash this off immediately.

If you like chocolate and mint and run or some kind of alcohol, you will adore Spooky. If you do not like those notes in combination, I don't think that you will like Spooky.

I suspect that there are two camps on this scent, the ones who love it and the ones who hate it. :) It's too strong a smell, IMHO, for anyone to just not care one way or the other.

Yum, yum YUM, a couple months ago I almost paid top dollar for this on ebay but then let someone else claim it. Me and my bank account are so glad I did, because I get it now anyway! It's fabulous, exactly like Mounds bars laced with peppermint and an additional buttery warmth from the rum (but don't worry, no booze overdose). I want to eat my hand now. :yum:

In decant: Whoa, Minty-fresh!

Wet: Getting some of the butter and cocoa. Waiting to see if this morphs.

Drydown: Butter fades, although there’s still a tinge of rum. Vanilla and peppermint abound.

Later: Okay, this reminds me of Tokyo Stomp, except with a slight boozy touch. I love it and must get a bottle!

Spooky:Resurrected

In the bottle- very minty with buttery rum. It's not the "lick it" kind of miny either...its smells like clear mint, like mint booze.

On me: less rum and way more mint. Really amping the mint.

Overall I'm glad I got this but I'll probably let it age a bit before I start wearing it. I gives me that victorian christmas feel, which is what I want.

Wet, Spooky Res. smells like mint chocolate pina colada to me. What's in there that would smell like coconut tropical goodness?

On my skin, this smells of after dinner mints and plastic. It's that vanilla creme note of death that turns nasty.

Big fail for me.

Starting out this was all rum, all the time, and it was NOT pleasant. After it dried it sweetened up, and really was reminiscent of rum-laced cookies, with the peppermint adding just a hint of minty coolness. It was a little foody for my taste, but if you like foody/boozy definitely give it a try!

:love!:

Since I'm a fan of rum, vanilla, peppermint, and coconut I tried to put off smelling this decant because I was afraid I would have to buy a bottle. I was right. This is an irrestable, fantastic, :heart: , must find a bottle NOW scent.

Something in this minty sweet coconut booze haze makes me feel like I'm in heaven. I like it so much I want to roll around in it. It's just the right amount of mint and the right amount of vanilla that works perfectly. I'm not getting anything overly foody here or overly boozy. All of the elements are in perfect harmony and the end product sings. Spooky is exactly what I hoped it would be! I'm so glad it got resurrected!

Adding on: I bought a bottle and slathered it on because I love it so much. Sadly despite the slather it was gone in under an hour. I'm glad I have a scent locket to put this in, but I really wish that it lasted longer on my skin. Anything with booze seems to get eaten by my skin super fast though, so I should have known I suppose.

Edited by strahlend

O man this is so good! Way too pepperminty at first, but that quickly fades into the background and brings out a gorgeous vanilla and buttery rum with a hint of peppermint.

I tried aged spooky and it was meh on me. Fresh...it's just perfect. :eek: I would have never thought that this would work. The rum and vanilla keep the peppermint from being to strong. It's absolutely delicious. :yum: Damn it...I now have to buy a bottle.

I get loads of mint from Spooky at first but it fades fast into a mere shadow of itself...and then it's coconut rum! A little bit of cocoa but this isn't an overtly chocolate/cocoa blend; it's all about the coconut. Really delicious! It's threatening to turn a bit plasticky on me so I need to test it again before I make the bottle decision but so far, so good.

In the decant, this smells like mint schnapps, with some coconut garnish thrown on top. Maybe there's some chocolate and vanilla in there somewhere, but they're hiding. On my skin, it's the same, with the chocolate coming out a bit, but threatening to go out to plastic. We'll see what happens here. Unfortunately, the drink straddles the line of plasticky with the coconut that threatens to make me heave. Swaps/sales.

Edited by Venneh

Spooky Resurrected, 2009:

over an hour's time, this was the sequence:

sunblock, sunblock, sunblock and mint, sunblock and more mint....delicious mint cookies! Like the candy cane cookies with peppermint extract that my family makes.

I am not sure how I feel about this scent. It ends up in a lovely place, but it goes through some less-than-lovely ways of getting there...

I am so sad with this one. I've had nothing but goodness from these notes before. I was expecting magic, but all I get is a chocolate mint scratch and sniff on my skin. Why isn't this better on me?! I'll try it again in a few months.

Resurrected 09 - decant

I don't always like foody blends, but sometimes when I'm snuggling around at home for the day I like to give them a whirl. And this sounded too yummy not to try...

In the imp, it smells absolutely delicious! Rum, coconut, and peppermint. Maybe a little vanilla, but no cocoa to speak of. Wow, I want to drink it!

When I put it on, it keeps that sugary pepperminty rummy coconutty deliciousness for about 10 minutes, then my skin devours the peppermint and I'm left with a rum/coconut that reminds me of Elegba, only not as good because it's lacking the lovely tobacco to keep it from being too foody. Ah well, I tried it on a lark anyway.

Edited by MamaMoth

Mmm... This is one of the best foody blends I've tried. In the bottle it smells straight up coconut rum with a dash of mint, seriously if you put this in a shot glass and handed it to someone who didn't know I don't think they would hesitate to drink. On wet it takes a weird plastic stage, for a couple of minutes I wondered if it would work on me. But dry is divine. It's still pretty much coconut rum (a smell I can't deny really, really liking) but sweetened even more. It's heavy and intoxicating. It is definitely the most "boozy" scent I've tried so far, no way would I ever wear it to work or somewhere formal. It's one of those going out all night to have fun scents. I was very, very pleased with how nice it smelled and even though it won't get as much wear as some others I am glad I bought a bottle and certainly wouldn't mind a back-up for years ahead.

It reminds me of a a more boozy and sweeter Tokyo Stomp.

This is for the '05 version.

First on it's a blast of pepermint with an undercurrent of chocolate. Kind of a reverse thin mint. As it dries it is coconutty rummy chocolate. I like it, but need to try the res version

this smelled of win... in the bottle. It was actually pretty darn wonderful in the bottle. All coconut and butter with some sugar and a teensy bit of rum-delish!

Then I put it on... wow. Something in this blend really doesn't love me. I'm getting watered down coconut with the slightest hint of wet dog. The wet dog scent slowly fades leaving me with a questionably weak coconut scent. Not very appealing.

:/

Well. I'm sure someone on this forum will want it so off to swaps!