Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Spooky

A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It’s a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminiscent of rum-laced holiday cookies.

In the bottle: minty booze.

On skin initially: coconut makes its appearance, making me think of Black Pearl. The mint is very dominant still.

After an hour: I smell like mint chocolate chip ice cream would smell if it were a warm cookie! I like this, perhaps not enough to pay the price of a 5ml bottle, but I may seek out an imp or two in the future. It remains very similar in scent to Black Pearl (in my mind anyway), just with the impact of mint and a hint of vanilla. Probably the coconut that makes me compare them heavily.

I know just how to describe this scent on me .... Pina Colada!

Yes you did read that right, this beautiful LE smells exactly like pina colada on my skin. Coconutty all day long, it even survived a day at work (which is amazing as I work in a cafe).

Absolutely beautiful & well worth the £16.00 I paid for it on Ebay. In fact I like this scent so much I've already bought a spare 5ml to keep in my box (this time it only cost me £9.00 though) :P

Spooky tested on July 30, 2005

In the bottle: a very sweet, strong peppermint.

Wet: Lots of peppermint, something more buttery coming to the front. Smells more like minty milk chocolate.

Drying down: Smelled like cookies, macaroons slathered in minty milk chocolate.

Later: A little Playdoh-y, but faded to more of an Andes mint type smell.

On the whole, I would wear this again at Christmas and New Years while hot cookies are in the oven.

ETA: Upon third-fifth time wearing the scent, I realize that it turns too milky for me to wear. It's great the first hour, then it's unbearably milky. I think I will swap this one out after all.

Edited by PixieSkull

This has become my summer scent. I just adore this.

Did you ever have one of those vanilla-mint pastille candies, like tic tacs or such? That's what this is exactly.

In the bottle and when wet on the skin it's a round, smooth mint- not the sharp Ice 101 mint, but more peppermint flavored syrup for italian sodas and the like.

Once it dries down a creamy vanilla note shows up, tempered with the mint. Like mint vanilla candies, or minty marshmallows.

It's light, and cool, with just enough warmpth to blend into the skin for a light refreshing scent that isn't too strong or overpowering.

A wonderful blend, if you ask me.

I almost washed this one off. I have determined that for the most part, coconut and I are not meant to be. It has an unfortunate tendency to lean towards plasctic on me. It also eats up the other notes, or somehow blocks something up in my nose, so that all I can smell is coconutty plastic and an abscence of something.

I was ready to cry. But I persevered, and after about an hour or two, the coconut has faded and I can pick up faint wiffs of something soft and creamy and faintly cookie-ish. Very nice, and very faint.

I really don't know how to feel about this one. The coconut was not as bad as some others I've had the misfortune to try, and light enough that it wasn't even a problem unless I stuck my nose right up to it. But is the dry-down worth the wait?

Meh.

In the imp & first applied~boozy peppermint.

Then kind of herbal peppermint for a few minutes. After about an hour it goes to a yummy, light milk chocolate & vanilla with a hint of coconut~Like a chocolate and vanilla funnel cake? To me, anyway :D

Another hour or so and it's all sweet & creamy goodness :P

This scent did not work on my skin, as has already been swapped, but here's what I remember:

In the bottle, VERY minty. And also a passive sugar-cookie smell. Actually, quite nice. I like the mint in Cathode (mint, with grass), and was hoping to like Spooky alot because I really love foody, sweet scents.

Wet on my skin, it smelled of Peppermint Patties or Thin Mint Girlscout Cookies... both of which I love to eat.

Dry on my skin it reeked, unfortunately, of mouth wash. I couldn't smell any of the sweet vanilla/chocolate/cococunt flavors I was hoping for over the long haul. :P

Spooky is a scent that it took me a few wearings to fall in love with. It’s a bit of an anomaly for me, as scents featuring mints or chocolate generally send me straight to headache city. Still, this is remarkably soft and luscious, almost velvety. It reminds me of Helping Hand with peppermint-patty mint and coconut, and for that, I have very calm associations with it. This is a wintertime scent to me, because I think of mint hot chocolate and buttermint candies. This has become a favorite.

Spooky

I got this in a swap with elenmenal.

While I enjoy mint in candy I was convinced I'd hate mint in a perfume, that it would only remind me of things like toothpaste, chewing gum and Vicks, so I was hoping not to get any mint out of Spooky. Well, I was wrong. All I get is mint and I actually like it! When wet it smells EXACTLY like those red and white striped peppermint sticks! Very nice for special occasions like christmas. As it dries it's sort of a weaker, drier, fresher and less sweet mint, like old and dry peppermint sticks from last year. It also has a coconutty throw while it's all mint on the skin. When I put it on I got chocolate (which I had hoped for) + mint, but after a few minutes it's all mint, mint, mint.

I was lucky enough to snag a full bottle of this off of eBay for a very decent price, which totally made my week. I'd been longing to try it since reading the description, and if it comes back I'll definitely be hoarding.

First time I wore it, it was a strong minty suntan lotion. Which was... okay, but not was I was hoping for.

Each time after that, it's been a lovely dark cocoa with mint, a hit or two of rum and a tiny bit of coconut/vanilla underneath. It's fantastic and makes me think of Christmas.

After an hour or so the coconutty vanilla comes through a bit more, but not a lot. It stays quite true to the bottle scent on my skin, a fact that is both good and bad. Good, because in the bottle it's absolutely gorgeous, and bad, because I keep wanting to lick my wrists.

I've decided to update my review, since Spooky is a blend that I've been wearing quite a bit lately :D. Unlike some of the blends I've enjoyed, Spooky has managed to age *really* well, getting stronger and better with my skin chemistry over time.

Where Tokyo Stomp is like candied mint and chocolate cookies, Spooky is like candied mint and warm, golden sugar cookies laced with buttery vanilla and toasted coconut. It's main notes are sweet, smooth, and warm, which is addictive and lovely when paired with the cold bite of mint. It's like Tokyo Stomp with brighter, sugar cookie & buttery vanilla notes instead of dark chocolate.

This has become one of my favorite BPAL scents, and I'm glad I have a few bottles :P

Edited by Tania

Spooky is love! I must find a bottle of this before I use up all of my imp!

It's creamy minty-vanilla goodness with a touch of something else that I can't quite place.

I have an old Avon lipgloss with almost the same scent but I can't remember what they called it (the label fell off long ago). The gloss is in a stack of 3 or so minty glosses...it's the white one. Spooky is a bit less vanilla-y but they are similar.

I just wish I had known about BPAL when this was still available.

OMFG!!!!

I about died when I opened the bottle. Captain Morgan's Parrot Bay is all that I could think of when I took my initial sniff. It smells so good. Then a hint of peppermint and butter cookies. It reminded me of partying at the cemetary. I know very tacky, but we used to party at an old civil war cemetary. When the fog rolled in it was just eery. Or dare I say it, spooky.

As the different scents faded and more mingled in, I ended up smelling a bit smokey and pepperminty.

I will agree with the person above me with the Parrot Bay similarity.

Spooky is all coconut and rum to me. On my skin, as it dries a teeny bit of peppermint comes through...and then it's gone.

I think I'd like this one better if it were a bit stronger and lasted longer.

Spooky smells just like slightly stale (dry, crumbling) Thin Mint cookies on me. No coconut at all, sadly. Thankfully the mint stays yummy, but over a bit of time the mint chocolate develops a slightly acrid (?) tone that most closely resembles the smell of concrete :D Hmm. I'm going to try this one again, but if it doesn't get better it's off to swaps.

ETA: I gave this one time, and now have converted. I especially like Spooky when layered with Elegba--it give it more of a coconutty edge (I :P coconut) and makes the chocolate less stale. Yay! Thin mint city. This is a fun fragrance I will definitely enjoy using.

ADDED August 13:

I liked Spooky enough to swap for a bottle awhile ago, but never realized how *good* it was until I put on "enough" of it, just today. YUM!! Funny how scents will do that to you, wearing too much or too little can completely change the experience. In the past, while wearng "too little" spooky I would get a Thin Mint cookie smell that would sometimes go a little stale, and just a hint of coconut. Today, I put on what I'll call a lot more, and WOAH! Throw like no tomorrow of rummy coconut mint deliciousness without a stale chocolate note in sight. I am sad I only brought my imp with me to South America, but am happy to know I've got a bottle tucked away at home!!

:D

Edited by Avery

If I had to wear a scent everyday this would be it. I LOVE spooky. I get the coconut mintyness with a hint of rum - it is very cool and refreshing but somehow warm at the same time. I wear this a lot at night. It helps to calm my brain down and help me sleep.

Rating (out of 5)

In bottle: COCONUT!!!!

Wet: First, an overwhelming wave of mint, not peppermint, but something closer to spearmint.

Drying: The coconut smell came back strongly, until it was a minty-coconut smell that I seriously disliked - I nearly washed it off at this stage.

Dry: Kind of a cocoa-butter smell, with only a tiny hint of mint. As time goes on, I can smell the chocolate note faintly, but sadly no hint of the booze. It's pleasant enough, but not really my bag.

The search for the OTP (One True Perfume) continues.

ETA: Two hours later, all coconut & mint had disappeared, and I smelled of chocolate.

Edited by harmonyfb

On me Spooky is all about Girl Scout Cookies - the mint ones. Only in this incarnation they have been dipped in a coconut cream.

This is EXACTLY what I get...and I LOVE it! I swapped Honey Moon for Spooky and I'm so glad I did. I smell the rum too...I put it over a base of mint lotion and I am in love with the way I smell! I'm a BPAL newbie and I'm just going to have to keep trying more scents now!

In the vial: Mostly peppermint, with a steady backing of vanilla. It's a very strange blend, like nothing I've ever smelled before... and I'm not sure whether I like it or not. If the peppermint was less overwheming, this would be much nicer.

Wet: The first time I put this on, the butter flared up madly, as butter tends to do on me, for a few seconds before it softened up and everything else came out. The second time I put this on, the butter was nowhere to be seen, but the peppermint turned into Windex! What on earth is going on here...?

Dry: During both trials, the cocoa and coconut come peeking out on the drydown, just enough to be noticed if you pay attention to them, but nowhere near enough to calm down the still strong peppermint. As time goes on, the peppermint is finally starting to fade and become not so overwhelming. If I breathe in very deeply, at the very end of the inhalation I'm hit with a deliciously sweet chocolate smell that I wish was present at all times instead of only at that one moment.

An hour later: The cocoa is definitely there, but it's not really a foody chocolate smell; it's bitter but made sweet with the tiniest, almost unrecognizable trace of vanilla. The peppermint is almost gone, but it's still noticeable in that it perks the scent up and gives it a bit of bite. I think I also smell some coconut, but it's coconut in a suntan oil way, which is a very strange mix to cocoa, vanilla, and pepperminut. The entire scent is slightly powdery, too.

Overall: Eh. I sort of like it, but then I realize that no, I really don't. It's too strange for my taste. I think it would've been beautiful without the peppermint, but alas.

I'm on the fence about this one. At first there's a burst of minty suntan lotion, which is odd. Then over the course of an hour, it settles into the holiday cookie smell of the lab description, which I like quite a bit. But always, lurking in the background, there's a hint of the weird vegetable/celery note that was such a problem for me in Midway. It's not nearly as strong here -- I don't notice it unless I stick my nose up to my wrist. But I know it's there. I wish I knew which ingredient was causing it, because some of the lab's sugary scents are *amazing* on me (like Milk Moon), but some have this weirdness.

In the imp: Peppermint.

On, wet: Peppermint, with a hint of something warmer, buttery vanilla. Yummy. *_*

15 minutes: It's faded down quite a bit, but I can still catch a whiff of it now and then. It's physically cool on my skin, which is going to be really nice this summer. Very happy with Spooky, oh yes. May have to find another bottle of this. *hoarding instincts* ^^;

In the bottle:

Peppermint with a whiff of dark chocolate.

Wet:

Peppermint with more chocolate.

Drydown:

It stayed that chocolate-mint cookie smell for ten minutes or so. Yummy. Then coconut. Even yummier.

But -- half an hour in, it developed the unfortunate burnt metallic smell I got from Bliss and Snow White. It appears that chocolate and coconut are both fated to do this on me. Sigh.

I don't know what year this little vial of Spooky is from. The pepermint is going stong, and there is a slightly warm creaminess on the drydown. Very soft...quite like buttermints.

In the vial: Strong peppermint with dark chocolate. Smells kind of like peppermint patties.

On me: At first it smelled the same was in the imp, but then it mellowed out to more of a mint chocolate chip ice cream. Then all of a sudden the vanilla started to come out as an undertone. Finally after a few hours, I could smell coconut which remained coconut until fading off.

Overall: I liked it! It smells good, but it's not very me. I enjoy it, just so much as a perfume. It might work better for when I'm in a more festive mood. Definitely will finish my imp though!

Wow. In the imp, my nose was tickled with the lovely notes of coconut, peppermint, buttery rum, and vanilla. It was like the Winter holidays rolled up into one! I was afraid that the coconut would make it smell too much like I was applying suntanning lotion, but this scent played lovely with my skin. The peppermint wasn't overpowering, and the rum and vanilla enhanced overtime. My cat really likes this scent as well!