Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Spooky

A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It’s a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminiscent of rum-laced holiday cookies.

I'm so glad I got to try this!

In the bottle, it smells like a chocolate mint liqueur, but that's nothing like how it smells on my skin. It is coconut and cocoa powder and it is lovely. It doesn't have a lot of throw for me, but burying my nose in my wrist, it's just a wonderful, comfortable dark brown scent.

And speaking of dark brown, I know it sounds crazy, but the first time I wore this, I spent the afternoon working in the garden and came in smelling of Spooky and rich, black compost. It was really wonderful and brought out a very different, darker aspect of the scent than the normal coconutty cookies. It makes me wish I had some earth scents in my collection so I could experiment with layering dirt and chocolate.

When I opened the bottle, I was in heaven. It smelled like chocolate and mint, which are my favorite scents together. :D

On, I couldn't so much smell the mint as feel it. It's a very tactile scent, if that makes any sense (which I'm sure doesn't!). The warmth of the rum tempered the coolness of the mint and the cocoa and vanilla made for a pleasant, comforting scent.

Perfect for the holiday season, as it is reminiscent of holiday baked treats and drinks. :P Love this one!

definitely in my top five and close to the top at that. i love this scent, it's my "i'm feeling crumby i'm going to put on some bpal" scent. i even get allot of complements on this one too. i had a check out lady at the grocery store tell me that i made her want ot bite me because i smelt so good. take that what ever way you want...

the mint, coconut and rum lingers around so perfectly it's had to believe.

On, I couldn't so much smell the mint as feel it. It's a very tactile scent, if that makes any sense (which I'm sure doesn't!).

yummysushitoo, i completely under stand this, it's refreshing.

I wish I could have liked this one long term.

When I put it on, I was just giggly. There it was, coconut, mint, caramel, licorise...it smelled just like a plastic pumpkin full of Hallowe'en candy, and it was such a happy, totally lacking in seriousness mix.

It stayed that way for the first hour, and then everything else faded away and all that was left was the coconut and mint and it smelled exactly like Burt's Bees Coconut and Mint foot cream, and that was not sexy or fun--just sort of medicinal.

After another hour, only the coconut remained, and a little something that brought a touch of Coppertone to the whole thing--just sun tan lotion without the sun blocking advantage.

Sigh. My body doesn't seem to do well with the foody smells---it really doesn't like the cherry wood either.

I'll pass this on to someone with a different ph balance.

In the bottle: Peppermint! Yum! (I love peppermint)

On me, initially: still Peppermint! but there's something else there. Something very sharp. Not sure what it is. Not so sure I'm going to like this one.

After a couple of hours: the peppermint's gone, the sharpness has mellowed, and now it smells like vanilla, with a tiny bit of coconut and rum in there. I can't smell the chocolate whatsoever.

In the end, I really like it. I wasn't sure about the whole food scents thing but this actually really works. Too bad it's discontinued (although did I read somewhere that it's going to be re-released?)

The peppermint really comes out on me, but it blends so beautifully with the creaminess of the vanilla and cocoa. Ahhhh, pure indulgence. What a heavenly foody scent, definitely one of the best limited editions of all time. It makes me crave sweets, and always gets me complements. Holiday cookie utopia :P

In the bottle and on wet, this is very sharp--strong bitter chocolate and rum. It makes my eyes sting at this stage.

Dry at first, it's still very sharp and alcoholic--reminds me of Dia de los Muertos a bit. It's almost coffee-ish, with coconut underneath. Ah, and there's that plasticy scent others have noticed.

As it dries down (after an hour or so), the sharpness/platic goes away and I'm left with a creamy vanilla coconut scent. Yum--at this stage, it's lovely.

I don't get any mint (which is just as well), and the rum and cocoa go away quickly. I like the coconut and vanilla scent that remains. :P

When I sniffed it in the bottle I about died, it smelled just like Girl Scout cookies, the Thin Mints!

On my skin, Spooky rocks! It literally smelled like someone had crushed up Thin Mints, home-made sugar cookies and doused the whole thing in coconut shavings after I had applied it to my arms. I didn't get any of the alcohol scent, just cookies and trust me, I don't mind.

This is definitely an awesome foodie scent, I would highly recommend.

I've been curious about Spooky for ages, and am so excited to finally have a decant! And I don't care if it's June; time for some holiday LE goodness. :D

In the vial: Mmm, rum and coconut and peppermint all together!

On me: Ok, I have a dry cocoa note and a happy peppermint note in perfect tandem, and I like both--I can see the Girl Scout Thin Mints association. There's also the touch of coconut, which reminds me pleasantly of a Mounds Bar with the cocoa. But *what* is that weirdness underneath? Something sharp and bitter and plastic-y, which doesn't generally happen with my chemistry. All that's left is the vanilla, but vanilla has never done that to me before. Errr...maybe it's a special Spooky vanilla? It needs to go away! I like all the other notes so much!

Verdict: this is actually a really good summer scent, b/c the peppermint oil makes it cool and tingly on your skin and the coconut adds a tropical vibe. However, there is one note is here that is being truly odd on me. I'm going to try it on the boy, since he looooves rum and coconut both. If it goes weird on him, it'll still be a yummy room scent. :P

Weird peppermint-vanilla-butterscotch combo. Like a minty Grog, at first. There's something lingering underneath, though, that haunts. It's gorgeous.

Initial sniff: Mmm, powdered mint candy.

Swipe: Bright mint n' stuff...I think that's the coconut too...

Drydown: No more mints, rather this is creamy soft, sweet coconut with a hint of cocoa around the edges.

Much more drydown: Someone described it perfectly when they said this was just like powdered cocoa. It's not like powdery in a gross way..but seriously smells like opening a packet of hot cocoa mix and inhaling..just on a smaller scale.

Overall: Holy shit, there wasn't one unenjoyable moment of the Spooky experience. Not a freaking one. I loved all stages just the same, no more or less than the others. And guess what?? It didn't go to shit on my skin like sooooooo many oils before (and after) it!!!

Seriously, I need this. I need it in a way that is desperate and would be willing to perform rather unholy acts to get more. One imp will not last me.

Edited by Sara

Spooky has to have the most apt description of any BPAL blend I've encountered so far (not all that many to be sure, but whose counting...)

Spooky is like a holiday party...the Peppermint? It's that friend that you really like and you hope that they will show up, but at the same time you are a little nervous that they might kind of freak out your other friends. So when Sir Peppermint shows up, parties hard for about an hour, dancing a lot with Ms. Cocoa, but then leaves for more exciting digs, it's cool to see him, but him leaving is really not such a big deal.

Especially because when he leaves, Coconut and Buttered Rum and Vanilla really start to get their groove on. Cocoa sticks around, but she is quieter after Peppermint takes off...gets a little shy - he really brings it out of her, and now maybe she's had a little too much to drink in that quiet sort of way...but the rest of them, they stick around and just hang out. Maybe they are talking politics, or music. They are definately getting sloshed on your liquor, cause, at leaston my wrists, they stick around five, maybe six hours.

It is a *really* good party.

Minty, coconut yumminess. Oh this one is really nice. The peppermint is very strong at first, making this a very calming scent. I love it! It reminds me of coconut cookies and those mint chocolate wafers. This stuff is great, I must have more!!!!

At first this all chocolate and mint...like an Andes Mint.

As it dries down its this lovely warm vanilla sugar smell, with a minty kick behind it.

Very interesting, I love it. Another sweet one from the lab that I can enjoy.

I finally got a decant of this from a kind friend. Upon first sniff I thought, 'hmm, nice, but not really worth all the fuss people make about it.' Then I sniffed it again and thought 'no... no, this might just be worth all the fuss people make about it.' And then I tried it on, and now I feel like I would like to make everything I own smell just like this. The peppermint that seemed a little sharp in the bottle becomes a bright, cool note over the warm, festive blend. Seems light enough to wear in just about any season, and does not develop the off note that many foody BPAL scents do on me.

I think I really, really need more Spooky. I almost never use up a whole Imp due to sparing application and short attention span, but I don't see this one lasting very long.

This is a very strange blend, at first it's a yummy combination of coconut and mint, which are both strong, but not at the same point, close to my skin it's mint, but the waft is all coconut. About an hour later the coconut had disappeared and I was left with a creamy mint scent, in fact I think the best description would be that I smell of Murray Mints. Sadly half an hour later I smell of ashtrays :P , I think this will have to go in the scent locket.

This scent is so yummy that, like some others have mentioned, I just want to give it a taste.

In the bottle it smells like really delicious smelling sunblock. It has a very creamy coconut scent that hits me before the chocolate and mint. On, the coconut and mint take a back seat and just create a nice undertone for the rum and chocolate. After a little while, the mint becomes a bit more pronounced, but it doesn't overpower the other notes. On the whole, the scent remains very multilayered and creamy.

This isn't a very strong scent. It lasted for quite awhile, but it stayed very close to my skin. Not a lot of wafting.

Yaaaaay!

Mint chocs!!

It´s just like After Eights, which used to be my all time favourite chocs when I was a kid, except this is milk chocolate, not the darker one.

Something weird happens when it dries down on my skin, but it´s barely noticable and I´m gonna keep wearing it anyway cause it´s so niiiice.

I´m so happy I got to try this one and will plea for a return so a newbie like me can get some more.... :P

Wet I get peppermint and cocoa, but after a couple of minutes the rum comes out too. It's like mint chocolate with coconut.

Fresh and eatable, the peppermint and the coconut make me remember Snow White (I know... but that's what I get from Snow White!).

Dry I can smell coconut, rum and vanilla with a soft peppermint touch.

In my skin this one is Snow White without the "frozen" feeling, actually!

This is my sig. scent, and the main reason I got sucked into the delightful vortex of BPAL. Never could I have imagined a scent would reflect my personality so well.

Spooky goes on minty and then morphs through various phases of rummy, coconutty, and then chocolatey. Sometimes it even doubles back and goes through all of the stages again. Sometimes it leans hard on the coconut and chocolate. Often it stops and hangs out in the rum for several hours (much like myself).

It almost always finishes in coco-powdery chocolate with the faintest hint of mint. Perfect.

Perfect. :P

Even my mother, who is loath to accept any scents save the "department store" kind, says she loves this one on me. Major compliment, that!

yes, i so wanted to love spooky....

the smell of cocoa and mint in the imp are so lucious you want to swig it :D

upon application the cocoa and mint dissipate immediately and all i am left with is burnt, rubbery,coconut......drat!! double drat!!!

i have come to the conclusion that coconut is not my friend :P

I bought a 5ml of this from a forumite without sampling first, because it sounded so amazing. There is a kind of instant peppermint hot chocolate that gets sold once a year here at a craft fair, and it's like crack. I was imagining something a bit like that.

When I sniffed it in the bottle, it did smell something like that-- only very, very sharply alcoholic. More like hot chocolate with Creme de Menthe liqueur than peppermint hot chocolate. Still good, but not like I'd hoped. I put it on, hoping the alcohol scent would go away.

Alas, it was the chocolate and peppermint that went away, and were replaced by coconut. Very, very heavy coconut, like tanning lotion, but still alcoholic. Sort of like a pina colada, heavy on the rum and without the pineapple.

This confirms my suspicion that I can't wear scents with any coconut in them at all, because my skin amps up the coconut like whoa and eats any other notes. This bottle is off to someone whose skin may appreciate it more than mine did!

In the bottle:

creamy peppermint!

On me:

Ooh Spooky my love! Where have you been?? *hugs her bottle of Spooky*. Spooky is everything that I had hoped Milk Moon would be. But better. It is straight up creamy coconut with sweet vanilla and a nice light peppermint. I adore this scent, it doesn't do anything funky, it doesn't go to baby formula, it doesn't fade too fast. It's perfect.

Final note:

If I was able to buy more bottles of this from the lab. I would. In a heartbeat.

This is an interesting one... I didn't get half the notes in it, so will have to try it again some other time of the month, but here's how it went today:

Wet: Light scent. very pale, bright mint, with a hint of that coconut-oil suntan lotion scent I noticed in black pearl, but much more subtle.

Drying: Mint macaroons? Far away mint macaroons.

Dry: weird. This is one of those scents that seems to get stronger & richer as it dries. It turns into a creamy, caramel scent that's definitely growing on me. Reminds me a bit of the sweet note in snake oil. (My guess is it's the vanilla.) But still, where's my cocoa? Then again, I don't get the rum either, (and I don't like boozy scents) so I guess I shouldn't complain.

This is nice. Not entirely sure it's *me*, but I think it'll be a fun one to layer. And to try when my hormones aren't doing the fun "Haha! You're a GIRL" thing.

Funny stuff...

First in the bottle sniff: Ugh- this may be a swap, it's too thick and sweet.

Wet on skin: OOOH! A good oooh! Wow, this stuff smells like Christmas :P I am merrily baking cookies, have some butter cookies cooling, a nice cup of hot chocolate next to me, the snow is falling. Wait- it's still July! A nice if momentary diversion.

Dry: AAh, a nice soothing sweet mellow layer of sugar has decided to land on my skin and stay there. (or is it snow?)

You know, I love this stuff! I have to conserve my imp or hope I can acquire more because this is going to be worn DAILY from Thanksgiving through New Year's.

Great job, Beth & lab!