Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Spooky

A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It’s a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminiscent of rum-laced holiday cookies.

Thin mint cookies, end of story. No rum, no coconut--Just mint and chocolate.

Its like dietary sabotage in a bottle.

*sigh*

Off to ebay with you.

Oooh boy, Spooky smells like a chocolate shop at Christmas. I don't get so much rum, mostly chocolate, mint, and coconut.

It is also a very nice scent to wear when you're queasy. Supposedly mint scents are used in aromatherapy to settle the stomach, and I ain't no aromatherapist, but I sure am hungover. All my foody scents nauseated me this morning, but Spooky is light and delicate enough that I wore it today and definitely felt perked up.

-Rae

erm... i'm prolly gonna get chased out of bpal town after this one but...

spooky and i did not get along. i didn't get any of the good notes; all i got was a weird scent vaguely reminescent of wet cardboard that's considering molding.

yeah, it went in the swap pile.

erm... i'm prolly gonna get chased out of bpal town after this one but...

spooky and i did not get along. i didn't get any of the good notes; all i got was a weird scent vaguely reminescent of wet cardboard that's considering molding.

yeah, it went in the swap pile.

I wouldn't worry about it miss, as when Pooky tried on my spooky it went very much the same on her as it did on you! We couldn't believe how HORRIBLE it smelt on her! Your comparison to mouldy cardboard is very close I think!!

Luckily I had better luck! I have two bottle of this - one is more minty in the bottle, and the other is more creamy. On first sniff I can smell the crisp mint which is warmed by the creamyness of the coconut - there is a definite chocolate aspect to it but it is quite faint. The first thing that came into mind when I smelt this was that it smells JUST like mint chocolate chip ice cream - lovely!

When I first put it on, the mint and the coconut are the most prominant notes, and it stays like this for a good fifteen minutes or so. Very gradually as it dries down, the mint calms down a bit, and lets the coconut really shine.

It does goes through a very weird "plasticy" stage which is reminisent of what snow white does on me, but after that it dries to a really warm powdery chocolate smell, HMMMM.

If I could summarize this in a few stages it would be:

Bottle: mint chocolate chip ice cream

skin: Minty coconut

drier: creamy coconut

oddness!

final: hot chocolate powder.

The difference of what this did on laura and I is amazing, possible the biggest difference we've ever sniffed!

I have come to the conclusion that Spooky and I are not made to be friends.

Out of the bottle it smells minty, with a hint of cocoa powder. The chocolate smells very dry to me, and not at all like the chocolate scents I've picked up in other blends.

On my skin, I get some of that rum sweetness. Then it quickly becomes all coconut. Coconut and my skin do not seem to react well. It fades out and becomes somewhat like Playdough. I had a similar experience with Snow White.

But I do understand the name now! It is spooky, and very strange. A beautiful blend but one I will be using to scent baths instead of me.

How can something so delicious turn so bad on my skin?! I swear, in the bottle, I want to drink this. I actually sneak out to my BPAL box just to open and sniff this. This is what the Chocolat Factory must smell like...

But, like with all chocolaty scents so far, this goes instaplastic as soon as it hits my skin. That is, I get about two seconds of the bottle scents, just so I can fantasize about how lovely this could be, and then it's plastic. Not overobtrusive plastic, just plastic. A boring, faked scent of plastic. Gah!

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Minty!

In the imp/bottle: Dry chocolate and heavy mint. The chocolate's not winning me over.

On skin, wet: Vanilla, coconut, cocoa, and peppermint! It smells a bit like a chocolate peppermint patty, though with a shot of coconut and vanilla.

On skin, dry: Not much change from wet. I'm not usually a fan of chocolate/cocoa, but this is fantastic. Foody, yes, but I love it all the same. Amazingly, the cocoa stays true, and doesn't dry down to the dusty mess it (cocoa) usually does on my skin.

Conclusion: When I first tried Spooky, it turned out horribly. Currently, though, it loves me, and I it.

Edited by Aredhel

I'm not a fan of mint, but I love cocoa and rum and coconut, so I was curious to try this out.

In the bottle, I got the strong smell of mint, Thin Mint cookies!!

Wet, this appears to be another scent my skin eats. I get faint coconut and even fainter mint.

Dry, mmm, I get a hint of cocoa now.

After 2 hours - Creamy smooth cocoa with just a hint a mint. Although once again my skin has eaten most of it, and it's just a hint of frangrance. Even if it was stronger though, it would be a fun scent, but not one I would really wear.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the best) 3 .

This scent is so lovely! I've tried it three times, but its just not for me!

What I get is coconut milk (slightly tart) and After Eight chocolates in the box. So gourgeous, I was so happy when this dropped into my letterbox!

When I first tried it, it was all coconut at first, and then I started to smell something else. Something that takes more energy to eat than eatting it give you. Yes, celery.

That night I kept sniffing the neck of my jumper because I was so lovely on that, and the celery edge had gone. When I tried it the second time, it went paper like, not yummy glossy magazine paper but fresh lazer copied paper. And yesterday I went to celery straight away.

What a shame, I want to smell like coconuts!!!

I got it on Ebay. It arrived yesterday. Delish. Foodie scents and I go very well together. I layered it with a coconut soap this morning. I get the mint and chocolate from the bottle, but on me the coconut is very strong, with a hint of chocolate. The rum is definitely there in the background.

Because of this scent, I've learned I am a slatherer when it comes to foody fragrances.

In the Bottle: A dollop of cocoa, a sprig of mint and a warm-coconutty nudge. Potential cookie aftertaste - though that's not the visual I get from it. Rather, I'm reminded strongly of lying on a beach in Barbados, slathered in tanning oil and slurping on some fancy cocktail with a little pink umbrella.

The Onset: The mint hits me full-force within the first half hour - trailing behind it is the chocolate. Very lovely - it wears fastest off my wrists, but even in the dry-down on my collarbone the mint endures as the coconut comes out and settles in.

At this point, I've spent a good forty-five minutes intermittently sticking my nose down my shirt collar and giggling madly.

The Dry Off: Coconut cream on a warm summer's day, the chocolate peeks out once in a while, but after about two hours it's totally gone - as is any traces of mint off my wrists. Now I see the cookie-visual, but it isn't very festive by my definition - to me this is such a summer scent that I couldn't possibly associate it with holiday baking.

Overall, I term this a ‘snugly’ scent - very warm, very comforting, and easily addictive if you're a coconut wench. I am *very* pleased overall - and more so because it endured well into the late afternoon after applying it sometime around ten a.m.

The coconut really stood out on me, but I definitely get hints of chocolatey mint. I love this and I'm sad that I didn't get here soon enough to buy a whole bottle. A nice scent for a pick-me-up. It really fits my mood today. :P

SPOOKY: the "Hi, I want to gnaw my wrists this is so yummy" fragrance. :D

Send me your tired, your poor, your huddled 5mls of Spooky yearning to be free.

Is this a gushing review? Yes it is.

Expectations: Pretty high - the description hooked me, the reviews convinced me, and the fact that it was a LE only mildly discouraged me. I got this beauty for a fair and decent price, however, because I am here and now apparently one lucky person.

This is also my first bottle!

The bottle came wrapped in bubble wrap, taped snugly, and within a cardboard outer shell and bubble envelope. To say that this was well packed would be an understatement. If any of you want/need a recommendation for Thorne, this is a great one right here.

The bottle: It is adorable.

Because this is Reviews and not B-Therapy, I'll sum up my day as horrible bordering on one of the worst work days I've had in a very, very long time. I also do not feel well. Spooky could not have been better timed.

Bottle sniff: mint chocolate ice cream and everything delicious - can something this good smelling be legal? :D

On me, wet: Through a stuffed up nose, I can smell just enough minty goodness. I love mint.

Cat's impression: She gave the closed bottle a good sniffdown after I quickly opened it up and let some of it waft around before being brave enough to open it a second time to apply. Seems to meet her approval as well.

Drying down: Utterly charming in a Thin Mint cookie way. With an itty bit of coconut/rum. I think. I can't smell so well right now.*

Impressions: Great, so I can smell like I work in a girl scout cookie factory and am in charge of the Samoas and Mint batches. :D As a former scout myself, I know this smell. I love this smell. The rum in the very faint background makes this scent a grown up scout leader at the end of the day sort of scent. Because she had a long Saturday distributing cookies to her troop opening the door, closing the door, making sure the cat is locked up safely while the dads lug cases into the SUV parked out front. But now, she can kick it back with a rum and coke because the kids and parents are all gone, and so are the boxes formerly enveloping the living room. It is green and purple, and brown.

*Mind you I practically have to stick my nose on my wrist because I'm so congested, but..

Verdict: Whoever doesn't like Spooky please contact me. :P I'm taking it in all shapes and sizes.

Edited by pensive

This is the ONE bpal scent that just makes me melt! My body chem is a little out of wack with most perfume oils in general but nothing beats this.

There is No END to what i wouldnt do to bring this back! love it

First sniff from the bottle- Mmmmmminty! Just like Thin mint cookies!

After 15 minutes- At first this is all chocolate mint. After a few minutes the coconut comes out in full force drowning out all the chocolate . The mint stays strong on me for several hours and then this fades to a sweet coconut.

Summery- Seeing that I adore foody scents I just loved Spooky. My boy however hates coconut and vetoed it on me right away saying I smelled like suntan lotion and minty chewing gum. :P

Spooky starts out, on my skin, as a delicate white mint chocolate. After a few minutes the coconut starts to pick up and the white chocolate association is lessened. This fragrance goes though several phases before drying down to something which reminds me of Lush's Silky Underwear Disting Powder. This fragrance much less foody on me than I thought it would be and it is glorious.

in the bottle this smells of mint chocolates. Once on my skin the coconut comes through. It smells just like burts bees coconut foot cream! It's a mix of mint and coconut. my only quibble is that sometimes it smells like the two are fighting for dominance.

it not my fav scent but it would be perfect as a pick me up on a sluggish day or when hungover*

*or so i have been told. being a good girl i couldn't possibly comment

*ahem* :P

It's the Chocolate Moroccan Mint tea lattes from Coffee, Bean & Tea leaf in perfume form

That's it!!!! Thank you, Macha, for helping me place the scent! I knew Spooky reminded me of something delicious.

I love this scent. A decant was included as a freebie from a very very very nice person, and I will definitely be hunting for more of it. It's a perfect match of chilly mint and warm hot cocoa. Comforting and scrumptious. I could bathe in this stuff, really. I won't, because I don't have enough of it, plus that probably would be a little over the top, but still. The urge is there.

Yay Spooky!

Spooky is all about the mint on me. Initially, it smells like a very luscious, full-of-saturated-fats buttercream mint. As the scent dries down, the undertone of booziness becomes apparent under the mint, and a chocolate note begins to hesitantly emerge. These elements are somewhat pleasing; unfortunately, only the minty note survives on me to the final drydown. For me, there's two long phases to this last stage: first, there's a vaguely minty, plasticky odour that hours later evolves into a sharply green scent (that's still minty fresh!).

Given the enormously positive reviews for the initial ultra-limited run, I had high hopes that I would love this. The fact that I don't just reinforces my belief that foody scents and I will never really get along.

Bottle (Imp): Mint cookies.

Just On: Chocolate mint cookies.

An hour or two later: Plastic chocolate mint cookies.

Around 6 hours: Fainter smell of plastic chocolate mint cookies.

12 hours: Barely there chocolate mint cookies.

Overall: As you may have seen, this is chocolate mint cookies, heavy on the mint, and plastic, and I never get anything else out of it. I'll try it again, but I don't think this hits the favorite list. I tried this again, because I like to give extra chances, and at the very very end, I got some coconut, but not enough that I'd be able to wait through it all to get there. This will have to be swapped. Bummer, as I love mint cookies, but they just don't smell right made of plastic.

After reading other reviews: I never got any coconut out of this at all. The chocolate mint is nice, but with the plastic overpowering it, this might not be a scent for me at all. Rather a bummer, but it's good to know that it works so well on so many people.

On me Spooky is all about Girl Scout Cookies - the mint ones. Only in this incarnation they have been dipped in a coconut cream.

Now I love a Girl Scout cookie just as much as the next person, but not as a fragrance to wear, mint just is too, well, minty on me.

But as far as a festive yummy room scent goes, now your talking! :P

I put a few drops of Spooky in my candle burner and after an hour or so found myself in my kitchen, standing on a stool, fossicking around (with a flashlight mind you) in the deepest, darkest recesses of my kitchen cupboards looking for something sweet to eat.

eta: i have a brand-spanking-new 5ml. bottle of Spooky that is looking for a new home!

Edited by fragrantgrasse

In the bottle: A cross between Thin Mints and Listerine

First on: I had already tried requieminblack's bottle, and didn't like it. My skin way amplifies the mint, and the rest of the scents are lost on me.

Drydown: After about 30 minutes, the mint calms down and the coconut starts to come out. When I was in France, I had coconut everything. Shampoo, conditioner, soap, perfume, everything. This is like coconut with a jolt - like a Mounds bar with mint clocolate instead of milk chocolate. It's not an everyday scent, but I do like it once it calms down.

I put this on before bed sometimes, because Peppermint clears my head without waking me up. The more I wear it, the more I like it despite my hatred of foody scents.

This one went to the swap pile after three tries.

In the bottle: Half chocolate mint, half Hawaii. An odd mix, but I figured I'd try it on.

On me: Mostly Hawaii. Lots of coconut, which I don't ordinarily like to begin with, with a tiny bit of the chocolate and mint in the background. The combination never quite settled. I live for mint scents so I was really excited about this one, but it didn't work out. The scent was exactly the same on me as it was in the bottle.

I could just cry. I wanted to try this one so bad and was really looking forward to it. Since i missed it from bpal, i won a bottle in an ebay auction.

In the bottle it is just overwhelmingly delicious. I wanted to drink it. I love the chocolate, the rum, the slight trace of mint, all of it.

I put it on. Wet it still smelled good enough to eat. After it dried, however, i was miserable. The mint completely took over. I couldn't smell anything else. My skin just sucked up all the yumminess and i was left with a harsh, evil, green mint.

I have to go cry now.

In retrospect I don't know why I bid on Spooky on that auction - I must not have read the description, because I don't really like coconut. But when it got here I was still psyched to try it out, because if there's anything I've learned from BPAL, it's that keeping an open mind really pays off.

In the bottle: 95% coconut with a teensy hint of mint & chocolate.

Wet: REALLY strong coconut and rum, like a Pina Colada. Thankfully I did not get the sickeningly sweet fake smell of Malibu, which really makes me feel ill.

Dry: Creamy coconut/vanilla. I never got any chocolate or mint on my skin. Still smelled very Pina Colada-like for the first 5 hours. It was much nicer than I thought it'd be, given that I kind of hate coconut, but in the end it's not for me. Off it goes to a new loving home.