Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Spooky

A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It’s a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminiscent of rum-laced holiday cookies.

Man oh man....

When I first got this imp, I opened it up and the smell just HIT me and made me somewhat nauseous. But then, my insides were already messed up, so I set it aside and tried it again the next day.

So the next day:

In the imp, it's STILL sweet and strong, and smells like minty suntan lotion or pina coladas. I'm a little scared of it, but I do like mint.

On, it just blooms, all creamy and minty and it smells exactly like I stuck my face into a bag of those butter mints -- you know, the creamy non pariels that come in pastel colors and melt in your mouth in creamy mintiness? It makes me hungry, because I love those things. I'm just not sure I want to smell like them. The dog likes it too, since he tried to lick it off of me (of course, he tries to lick off most of my sweet scents.)

After an hour, it starts turning on me. I get the dreaded diaper smell, much to my chagrin. It just smells dirty. But I persevere....

And eventually it goes back to the creamy mint. I dunno what was up with the dirty smell. It went back adter a bit, and overall the scent stayed about 8 hours.

Nice, but... not for me. I'll probably test it again, but I suspect it's going back on the swap block.

I like the way foody scents smell, I just don't like to WEAR them. Edited by Shollin

spooky.jpg

This is really one odd scent. There is definately mint in it all. That's the first thing you notice. There is a rummy bit rhumbaing around in the background, then it veers wildly into a wood or horseradish sort of a scent! Then there is chocolate. The horseradish does go away, but it was there! I swear it was there!

Spooky is a great novelty scent. I am glad I got to smell it. Makes me smile.

Spooky

In the imp: it has a note there that reminds me of Midway…but with mint, coconut and rum.

Wet on skin: oh good, the rum's behaving itself. Please stay that way, rum…

Dry on skin: this is really nice. Like a rum and coconut cocktail with crème de menthe…I smell something doughy or floury, dusty almost- as well as cocoa. The great thing is that the rum isn't amped to the max and making my skin smell drunk! The mint makes this cool, yet this scent is also warm and cosy. I can see why people compare this with the Star-it has the same mint-coconut vibe, but with rum and cocoa too.

After a while: I'm pretty sure it has that same 'dusty' note I get in Midway and Snow White, the one that thankfully doesn't go plastic smelling on me, but does sometimes go dusty on me. In this it's not unpleasant-with the cocoa, it makes me think of dry cocoa powder. The mint has gone by now.

I adore the drydown this has after a few hours…like Snow White and Midway, it now smells like marshmallows at this point!

Verdict: this blend has stopped me being scared of rum scents. The rum in this doesn't scream on my skin and take over the blend-in here, it adds a lovely hint of booze to an otherwise sweet and foody scent. the combination of rum, mint, coconut and vanilla with a sprinkling of chocolate is a very pleasant combination. It's not a favourite but I will keep the decant I have of this because I like this a lot-especially the marshmallow drydown!

This is definately a weird foody scent.

Buttery Mint, with coconut. It smells like minty sugar cookies. I have a hard time saying "smells" and not "tastes" with this because its so foody.

I soooooooooo wanted to love this scent.

:D

I purchased a bottle of it, sight unsniffed.

Just from the description of the scent... I was off on a desperate search for a bottle of it these last couple of months.

My lovely and wonderful bottle of it arrived, today. (From the January 2005 edition)

From the bottle ~ the smell is delicious.

WOW.

Chocolate and Mint. Yummmmmmy.

On the skin ~ my skin amp-ed the coconut to an awful burnt plastic scent. I thought it would go away on the dry down ~ it didn't.

On the dry down ~ it became burnt plastic with a side of cocoa, coconut and mint.

:P

Since this is so loverly on so many people ~ I can't see just using it as a room fragrance... so I will be selling it off. :D

I so wanted to be able to wear this gorgeous fragrance.

Poo.

Immediately after putting it on my skin, Spooky is bright and minty and sweet. It takes a little time for it to dry down and allow me to begin to smell the coconut. Even when I sniff my wrists, I don't feel overwhelmed by the coconut. Just a delectable and whimsical scent.

Sweet and uplifting. I would like to drench myself in it (but won't, since it's far too precioussss to me). My favorite BPAL so far.

In the Bottle: I'm afraid. Coconut and vanilla and rum. Rum hates me internally (never drinking the stuf ever again), vanilla kills almost anything else on my skin and coconut smells rancid on me. This smells like a peppermint shampoo my mother once made me use because it was "good for my hair", it burned my eyes and made my scalp tingle for hours. I hated that shampoo. Although the peppermint is wonderfull, this will not be kept. I can already tell. Reminds me of that shampoo too damned much.

Wet: HELLO PEPPERMINT! Woooo that opened my eyes. I was a bit sleepy from testing all night but WOW that woke me up. I smell a bit of vanilla, a bit of the rum.... It's not unpleasant actually.

Drydown: For once....vanilla is my friend. It calmed the peppermint down a bit, gave it a shot of rum and now they're relaxing and enjoying each other's company. I doubt I'll keep this but it was nice to try.

I had to try this even though I thought I wouldn't get along with it (I'm not a huge fan of the foody blends) - I thought that it was going to be really really sweet and overpowering, plus mint and me don't really get along that well. I was wrong - this is gorgeous and I'm sad that I didn't "know" bpal when this was released because I should have bought lots of bottles of it. On me the coconut and rum really come out , its such a happy smell that lifts me up!

In the bottle: yum. Coconut and mint. It smells like it would be a good mixed drink.

Applied: The coconut immediately turns into rum. I say “turns into” because that’s exactly what it smells like: I smell the mint/coconut oil going onto my skin, and then it smells just like the coconut is turning into rum, while the mint stays the same. I can detect some coconut still hovering under the surface, but it’s gone away from the skin.

The rum gets quite a bit stronger as time elapses, which means that unfortunately it will probably be a no-go for me; I can’t wear rum well at all.

The throw is actually quite nice, especially after the coconut re-asserts itself in about a half hour after application, but since I am the one close to the scent smelling the rum tang, this is a scent I would prefer to smell on someone else and not on me. I think it might also work in a burner, but I’m probably going to pass this bottle on since it’s an LE.

It lasted about three hours before I would have needed to re-apply.

On a scale of 1 to 5: 3.5.

My imp of spooky arrived today (bought from a seller on the bpal livejournal community).

In the imp, it smelt overpoweringly of peppermint, but very, very sweet, fake peppermint. I think I caught a whiff of something I assumed was vanilla, but may have been rum, and to be honest the whole concoction was just far too strong and made me feel quite ill. But knowing the nature of bpal, I put some on my skin to give it a go.

It didn't get any better. It remained an incredibly strong faux-peppermint and sickly vanilla, and no amount of washing seemed to get rid of the scent. I didn't put a lot on, but it hung around for ages, and is, in fact (8 hours later) still lingering on the wrist. It makes me nauseus, alas. Pity, because I -really- wanted to like this one.

In the bottle: Mint!, albeit a controlled mint not a HI HOWYA DOIN'? eye-opening, sinus-clearing mint.

On the skin: Still minty. The coconut and vanilla appear to be vying for control of my skin right now, as vanilla is one of the notes my skin amps up very well. Not really getting much of the rum yet.

Later on: The vanilla appears to have conceded slightly to the coconut. The cocoa is also starting to assert itself on my skin. This is something to put on first thing in the morning: the mint to jumpstart me and the others to help keep me mellow later on (I'm not a morning person. At all.). No sign of the rum.

Spooky starts out as fresh peppermint, perhaps a peppermint leaf, with hints of cookie. Then, it becomes a buttery cookie with a dash of peppermint extract and sprinkling of cocoa powder. Once it reaches the buttery cookie stage, the scent stays more or less the same, although it gets more and more buttery, with the peppermint ever in the background.

I was expecting a lot more from Spooky, given its fame, and while it is nice and foody, it doesn't draw me to it as much as I thought it would.

I just got this in a swap from Xoe and OMFG...I WANT TO EAT MYSELF.

In the bottle it's straight up Thin Mints from my old girl scout days. It also has a pleasant backdrop of coconut that makes me think of suntan lotion, but in the very best way possible. It reminds me so much of a camping trip I used to take with my cousins every labor day. I seriously want to curl up with this scent and never smell anything else, HAHA.

On me, it's mint, rum, and spices. Hardly any coconut or cocoa but that's totally fine. I smell like warm spicy rum and a sprig of mint. I can imagine this would be fantastic both in the winter and summer months. It fades so fast, though, that I feel like I need to bathe in it. Oh man, I love it I love it I LOVE IT.

My friend Joel's mom has a cookie party every year. Dozens of dozens of cookies. At leas 30 different types of every flavor. This smells exactly like her house during the party!

The coconut isn't as awful on me as I expected, and the chocolate, vanilla, mint and rum are the strongest notes. So sweet I want to lick my arm.

I got to try Spooky because of the generosity of the wonderful judas_kiss. :bowdown:

I probably shouldn't be trying anything at all today as I have a bit of a sinus cold going on - enough to give me a headache and throw my perceptions of scent off. However, I couldn't resist. Spooky is the first fragrance I've tried without knowing what's in it before putting it on.

In the bottle, Spooky gave me the impression of faint coconut, mint, and some sort of floral. Wet, the coconut comes to the foreground, which is unfortunate for me because it seems like coconut and I do not get along. Then boom! Play-doh until dry-down is complete. Then, I get whiffs of chocolate cookie crumbs and plasticy smelling coconut. My husband disagrees with me on how this smells - he got a butteriness wet that I didn't perceive, and says that the butteriness fades with dry-down. I'll edit this review after I get over the stupid cold.

ETA: Nope, it wasn't the head cold's fault. In addition, the scent is very faint, which led me to apply a whole lot of it for testing purposes, which in turn led to my first ever BPAL-induced metallic-tasting mouth experience.

ETA: Twelve hours later, I smell just like baby powder. Yuck. :P

Edited by terrierhead

Spooky and I, sadly, had to part ways. On both me and DH, we got an awesome mint-cookie-with-coconut-crunch smell and then WHAMMO..."Skin Trip" body lotion. Just too coco-nutty for my tastes.

I love love love this in the bottle and in the first hour or so. Girl Scouts Thin Mints cookies, if I may be allowed to make the reference. Then my body transformed into the Giant Coconut of Doom, demanding all that crossed my path to pay tribute to the Coconut. But it works GREAT in my scent locket as the chocolate mint sticks around for much longer.

Had to wash it off! I amped the peppermint to the point where it smelled like peppermint OIL, not even peppermint candy!

DAMN! I wanted this one to work!

Spooky is my new pet. Spooky smells like minty coconutty (but not bad) sweet yumminess. I need more Spooky, clearly. It's pretty complex for such a sweet scent. I get a bare hint of chocolate. I smell no rum on my skin. It has a creamy background scent. It's one I reach for a whole lot. My boy asked to be Spookified the last time I was fussing with an imp of this and we were watching a movie. I caught him nose/wristing a few times after that! I'm not the only one around here who's hooked on the Spook.

I don't get any rum out of it, and I swear there's something buttery in there. It reminds me of the butteriness of Midway. I use a LOT of Spooky- it's just perfect on me. I get lots of compliments on it too. The mint is the most fugitive note- it lasts for a few hours, while the buttery creamy slightly chocolate/coconutty goodness lasts for a really long time, about 6 hours or so. My skin is rather dry so that's a long time for me.

I'd give it a 5 out of 5.

Edited some months later to add: Spooky is still one of my go-to blends (some I obsess over at first, and then burn out on; not Teh Spook though). I wear it a ton, I slather it, and just generally enjoy the hell out of it. At this point in my BPAL addiction, the boy is fully jaded and uninterested, and almost never comments, but whenever I put Spooky on he says "Wait, wait, which one is that? I like that one!" It's great in the summer too, light and minty and yummy.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

First hits me as sharper than expected; the mint almost struck me as medicinal for a moment. The mint is definitely winning in the imp, I don’t smell any chocolate at all…or coconut, or vanilla, or anything else :P If I really focus, there’s something creamy hiding in it.

The mint only gets stronger on my skin, at least when it first goes on. It does slowly let some coconut peek in, but it doesn’t seen to have any intention of going away :D Upon drydown, this is a nice mix of coconut and mint, light and sweet. I like it!

pre-conceived notion: This is another gifty from <lj user="sky_dark">. The name makes me think that this should have been a Halloween scent, but apparently this goes with Christmas. Looking at the notes and the description, I can see why, but still there's a disconnect. What about Christmas is spooky? Christmas is gay and festive and nostalgic... not scary.

At least (let me qualify), it's not scary for ME. I guess that even Casper the Friendly Ghost had to celebrate the winter holidays in some fashion... I'm going to guess that this is his signature Saturnalia scent.

in the imp: peppermint and butterscotch candies. It's like a small Connecticut candy shop where toffee and fudge are handmade during the summer, and mints and caramels and Turkish Delights are made for December and a little bit beyond.

wet: no change... it's still a candy shop, with jingle bells on the door to announce visitors.

drydown: I'm supposed to get cookies out of this, but it never happens. Intead, this is a pepperment candy cane down to the bitter end, with a little bit of warm butterscotch peeking out from time to time. It's pretty and delicious and cold; a very winter scent.

verdict: interesting. I don't think I'd buy more, but it's nice to kick around and I'll probably use it come this winter.

post-conceived notion: playful and silly, this is clearly a child's scent, but one that could appeal to the child in anyone. I'm 31 years old, and it grabs me with a sort of fundamental Nutcracker charm. I think I'm much better off testing holiday scents around the time when the holiday actually is occuring... I think my emotional connection to this scent would be a lot more impressive come 24 December.

In the imp: oh, boy, that's strong mint

Wet on skin: like I melted Andes mints into a cup of Malibu

Dry: It's switching back in forth between 3 scents, quickly. One second it's all mint, like an afterdinner mint - and emphasis on MINT, very strong. Then it's a Thin Mint cookie being dunked in Malibu (which gives me all sorts of wonderful ideas... hmm...). Now it's some sort of chocolate-covered coconut macaroon. Now it's back to strong mint.

Overall: 9/10. Love this. :P Mint, chocolate, and coconut are some of my fav scents and how in the world could I not love something that makes me go "oooh! Malibu!"? Wish I had buckets of this rather than a decant imp.

In the vial and wet on my skin - wow rubber and peppermint - ick! it's like a used band - aid dipped in peppermint oil. I hope this dries down a bit better.

As this dries down, the peppermint is not so prominent and I am catching some cocoa and some coconut - no butter rum or vanilla. It's still on a base of band -aids.

Completely dried down, Spooky is not so bad but it took over 1/2 hour to get so I could stand it. I can smell each note well now and it is a very light scent to me. What is funny is that it almost smells like tanning oil with the rum and coconut.

Throw is good and wear is incredible - you can't wash this stuff off. While it dried down so-so on me, given the chance I would never buy a bottle of it.

In the imp, Spooky is delicious, chocolate mint laced with a tiny bit of coconut.

My skin has decided that Spooky is not for me, though, and promptly turns it into peppermint tea laced with sour milk. If I concentrate, the milk turns into coconut, but I'm not really a fan of having to work to enjoy my perfume.

Lysistrata generously let me snag her imp of this when she didn't like it, and I'm glad she did.

In the imp: mint and coconut chocolate. wow.

On me, wet: wow, it is hard to resist taking a bite out of my arm. I can't smell much buttery rum, but everything else is there and awesomely delicious.

On me, dry: there's this brand of peppermint-cream filled chocolate I sometimes buy - it tastes like this smells. Maaaan. And it *wafts* when I move my wrist.

Verdict: WANT MORE. At least I have an imp to treasure. Utterly edible.